Post and discuss all Jagex Twitter updates here!

forestfrolic

Except Stellar Dawn is a completely different game with a completely different team that doesn't draw resources from Runescape.

Man I hope Duke Nukem Forever is canned so they can go back to focusing on Runescape again, herp derp.

i know they said that, but im not believing it for one bit, sir.

Me neither. Just because they say so, doesn't mean it is true.

Also, they're developing that game since 2006 with zero income and alot of expenses. Generous investors...

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like these less update weeks. It gives me more time to further explore current content before experiencing new content when it is released.

Good for you. But for those of us who have actually done all of the quests, completed all of the diaries, played all minigames, soloed all bosses, etc it gets a little frustrating when we don't even have a clue when we're getting something new. And that's the point: they never reveal anything in these Q&As. Tbh when they dissolved the BTS's and cut back to three weeks per month they absolved themselves from any sort of accountability. Yes people [bleep]ed when the updates for the month didn't live up to their expectations, but haters are no reason to cease communication. Since they've done that, supposedly to improve the quality of the updates, they haven't really. At best they're exactly the same as updates before, but as some have pointed out they are quite possibly of LOWER quality than we were seeing in the era of the BTS's. How is that possible? Hm? Is it some technical issue that I'm ignorant of? :rolleyes:

System update, last chance for a surprise update. :pray:

Sadly not

System Update...

This update is to fix some more issues with DirectX.

- Intel graphics chipsets should now work with DirectX, these were previously disabled due to last minute problem before release.

- Fixed a handful of interfaces that were rendering incorrectly when using DirectX.

- We’ve also put in some warnings in Fairytale 3 to give users a bit of information about the flashing/flickering nature of the cutscenes and related interfaces.

Second update:

Fixed a problem with the Thieves Guild whereby an earlier fix to part of the intel chipset update caused a potential divide by zero problem with the floor height.

Thanks,

Mod Nexus.

THEY WERE DIVIDING BY ZERO. :shock:

Phaper_Plane.png

I like these less update weeks. It gives me more time to further explore current content before experiencing new content when it is released.

Good for you. But for those of us who have actually done all of the quests, completed all of the diaries, played all minigames, soloed all bosses, etc it gets a little frustrating when we don't even have a clue when we're getting something new. And that's the point: they never reveal anything in these Q&As. Tbh when they dissolved the BTS's and cut back to three weeks per month they absolved themselves from any sort of accountability. Yes people [bleep]ed when the updates for the month didn't live up to their expectations, but haters are no reason to cease communication. Since they've done that, supposedly to improve the quality of the updates, they haven't really. At best they're exactly the same as updates before, but as some have pointed out they are quite possibly of LOWER quality than we were seeing in the era of the BTS's. How is that possible? Hm? Is it some technical issue that I'm ignorant of? :rolleyes:

You are expecting them to be able to produce one update a week per week per year. That is over 50 updates a year. That is not fair to them.

Lets look at a new quest in a new area brief.

Lets say they are working on a quest on the scale of Monkey Madness. They add a new area which contains 40 separate models. Each model takes around a day to model up and a couple of more to animate (This includes keeping polygon count low and efficiency). That is nearly three months just to create and animate the models. There is also the scenery mesh and audio to throw in. Now that they have the models done, the coders have probably have most of the code work done. Now they have to tie in the models with fillers they have previously had so that they could do most of the quest work while they modelers were modeling. Now they have to import a test player, go around to each NPC model, interact with it, check each conversation. If that passes, they pass it to the QA team for final checks. This could take another two weeks or so. After an error is found, the QA team sends it back to the coders for fixing then it goes back. This goes on until no more bugs can be found by the QA. Then it is ready for release.

A quest with a new area to support it can take 3-4 months to perfectly get done. Out of Jagex's ~400 staff, only 1/4th of that actually handle content in Runescape. The rest are CM, CS, FO, SD, and legal staff.

Most people expect content on that scale every time. They do not understand what it takes to create it. They complain when it has bugs. Not all bugs can be caught by the QA team. Players do things the QA team do not account for.

Now as an alternative to BTS, what about a video at the beginning of each month which shows what they are working on and expect to release?

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Directx now works on my laptop :)

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

No, you misunderstand, I'm fine with no update weeks as long as either 1) they're producing quality updates that reflect the extra time taken and/or 2) they cut out this secrecy crap and actually give us some kind of preview of future content like just about every other MMO developer out there. Either would be fine. I'd love a video every month!

Now as an alternative to BTS, what about a video at the beginning of each month which shows what they are working on and expect to release?

Yes please. ^^

What alwas bothered me about the BTS is basically how Jagex operates. When it comes to updates and how it seems they can be delayed further into the week over issues it seems as if they are just finishing up and update and shotting hot off the presses so to speak.

But that isn't necessary. We could still have BTS and it can be done in a way that doesn't put strain on the content team. All they have to do is make sure a piece of content is ready to go before they mention it. In fact, have it done before you even give a hint as to it's existence. If you are going to do a BTS for the month of April let's say, have the content for April be completely done by Februrary. Then you can do it without so much hectic last minute work. Hell, all it takes it some decent planning.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I think the problem with BTS to begin with was the fact that it was set so that updates were expected to be for that month when really BTS could simply be like the blogs we have now showing what projects they're working on. Maybe had they started off that way BTS would've not been removed. :-? We might not know when these updates are coming, but at least we know they're coming and have some more fun speculating like we did with dungeoneering haha.

I think the problem with BTS to begin with was the fact that it was set so that updates were expected to be for that month when really BTS could simply be like the blogs we have now showing what projects they're working on. Maybe had they started off that way BTS would've not been removed. :-? We might not know when these updates are coming, but at least we know they're coming and have some more fun speculating like we did with dungeoneering haha.

But you must admit that the blogs as a substitution are very substandard and are abject failures in what their intended purpose was.

I believe Jagex should focus more on replayable content (not that I say there isn't, there's plenty of it, but a lot of people fail to see it). As someone has pointed out, demanding content is too demanding from our side. Sure you can bring up arguments that it used to be different or that you are paying and so you are entitled to good updates and frequent. The truth is, even Runescape ends somewhere. Jagex releasing frequent low-quality updates will do more bad than good. Investing in more replayable content will add up and be appreciated by players.

PS: by replayable content I need to mention that a lot of rs content focuses on a passive player simply doing the quest/activity and that's it. Give a player more freedom content-wise. Content shouldn't be too linear either (even fighting high level bosses becomes a drag in the long run). Something I'd like to see appear some day is that Jagex takes the courage to mess around with its players and do things lke have an army of NPC invade an area at some random time and beat the bejeezes out of us (unless players organise and put up defenses and so on).

Sorry for my somewhat vague story (exams and glass of wine).

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

I believe Jagex should focus more on replayable content (not that I say there isn't, there's plenty of it, but a lot of people fail to see it). As someone has pointed out, demanding content is too demanding from our side. Sure you can bring up arguments that it used to be different or that you are paying and so you are entitled to good updates and frequent. The truth is, even Runescape ends somewhere. Jagex releasing frequent low-quality updates will do more bad than good. Investing in more replayable content will add up and be appreciated by players.

PS: by replayable content I need to mention that a lot of rs content focuses on a passive player simply doing the quest/activity and that's it. Give a player more freedom content-wise. Content shouldn't be too linear either (even fighting high level bosses becomes a drag in the long run). Something I'd like to see appear some day is that Jagex takes the courage to mess around with its players and do things lke have an army of NPC invade an area at some random time and beat the bejeezes out of us (unless players organise and put up defenses and so on).

Sorry for my somewhat vague story (exams and glass of wine).

They tried replayable content: hunt for surok, the phoenix, the boss at the end of Fur and Seek.

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever

What alwas bothered me about the BTS is basically how Jagex operates. When it comes to updates and how it seems they can be delayed further into the week over issues it seems as if they are just finishing up and update and shotting hot off the presses so to speak.

But that isn't necessary. We could still have BTS and it can be done in a way that doesn't put strain on the content team. All they have to do is make sure a piece of content is ready to go before they mention it. In fact, have it done before you even give a hint as to it's existence. If you are going to do a BTS for the month of April let's say, have the content for April be completely done by Februrary. Then you can do it without so much hectic last minute work. Hell, all it takes it some decent planning.

I agree...if they operated this way, they'd have what looks like a 100% success rate on announcing and releasing content.

What's more...it could be accomplished by simply doing exactly what they've been doing (not releasing content every week).

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

SportsGuy's Short Guide to Ghostly Warriors

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

If they were willing to do it like that, then I think most people would give them a month of no updates to allow them to set the whole process up without much complaint.

Except Stellar Dawn is a completely different game with a completely different team that doesn't draw resources from Runescape.

Man I hope Duke Nukem Forever is canned so they can go back to focusing on Runescape again, herp derp.

Also, they're developing that game since 2006 with zero income and alot of expenses. Generous investors...

While this is true the problem lies with the oppertunity cost of hiring the Steller Dawn team. It still costs the Jagex company as a whole to have a seperate development team working on the seperate game, whereas if those that are working on it wern't then there would be more people in the RS development team to work on the Runescape Projects.

1yrb49.jpg

While this is true the problem lies with the oppertunity cost of hiring the Steller Dawn team. It still costs the Jagex company as a whole to have a seperate development team working on the seperate game, whereas if those that are working on it wern't then there would be more people in the RS development team to work on the Runescape Projects.

This is true.

As the people working on Stellar Dawn are funded by the income generated by Runescape, resources are being diverted that would have otherwise gone into Runescape. People always say that they are extra people hired to do other stuff, but since their work at present generates no income and the majority of said income comes from RS, then obviously Runescape is not receiving all the benefits that it creates. If they put that money that Runescape generates, then reinvests those resources back into the game that created the ability for their existence, then we could have a better overall game.

Let's face it, doing other games comes at the expense of the development of Runescape and these days, it clearly shows.

Myreque got briefly suspended while Tytn got moved to fairy tale part 3 - that's done and dusted now though. [Paul]

Yep the stuff behind the body door will be revealed [Paul]

I'd like to devblog on Mahjarrat 5 - but don't want to fall into fairy tale 3's situation of doing one somewhat to early [Paul]

Eastern Lands is still something of an update for the long term. [Paul]

from the Twitter interview with Paul.

http://twitter.com/RuneScape

asrhasrh.jpg

also:

RuneScape: @poofuroxmysox Quests per month depends on when development ends. Some months will get 2 - that's probably a heavier questers month. [Paul]

Seems like we'll be seeing more quests from now on :)

Lord_Beloved.png

Qeltar on truthscape forums showed a twitter hint saying Jagex are looking into the bonecrusher working for hunter bones... very nice probable update.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Qeltar on truthscape forums showed a twitter hint saying Jagex are looking into the bonecrusher working for hunter bones... very nice probable update.

yeah that was posted 3 days ago :)

RuneScape: @LeeMHughes Turning Hunter bones into Prayer XP is being looked at but we don't have a timeline for a decision on it.

from Twitter / RuneScape - May 17, 2010 (3 days ago)

Lord_Beloved.png

[hide]

This is true.

As the people working on Stellar Dawn are funded by the income generated by Runescape, resources are being diverted that would have otherwise gone into Runescape. People always say that they are extra people hired to do other stuff, but since their work at present generates no income and the majority of said income comes from RS, then obviously Runescape is not receiving all the benefits that it creates. If they put that money that Runescape generates, then reinvests those resources back into the game that created the ability for their existence, then we could have a better overall game.

Let's face it, doing other games comes at the expense of the development of Runescape and these days, it clearly shows.

[/hide]

Game Companies developing more than one game - how uncommon...

[404] Signature not found.

[hide]

This is true.

[/hide]

Yes, but the argument that developing another game doesn't take resources that would otherwise go to Runescape is illogical at best.

[hide]

This is true.

[/hide]

Yes, but the argument that developing another game doesn't take resources that would otherwise go to Runescape is illogical at best.

Agreed, but I also heard that they currently have the maximum number of people working on RS at the moment. Any more and it would be out of control. So that could create an abundance of money to be used for Stellar Dawn, but I don't honestly know....

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg