If slavery was legal...

Maleficus1055

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would own a slave, but I wouldn't treat it like [cabbage]. It would do all the work I didn't want to, but it would get fed properly, eat with me/family, have its own room, and get more than rags for clothes. Then once I became rich, I would have a "slave house" where it has many rooms, with many slaves (still good standards of living) and I would be nice to them, no whips or bulling, as long as they did as they are told.

Sicus Locum Para Bellum!

Morality is much more important than legality in my eyes. And this slavery the OP mentions would be especially immoral now we've already abolished it and people are "used" to human rights.

Now, the question becomes much more interesting once the line between human and sub-human (or not human, animal, etc.) begins to fade.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

I bet you were all expecting me to say yes.

No, that's absolutely horrific. We live in a world where, thank God, that couldn't happen anyway, but if it did I wouldn't consider it for a second.

Damn, I would have thought you would have.

I agree with Robert here, we now live in a more civilized society where all have equal rights.

If I could afford to, I'd hire them on a wage just to avoid them being slaves.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

I bet you were all expecting me to say yes.

No, that's absolutely horrific. We live in a world where, thank God, that couldn't happen anyway, but if it did I wouldn't consider it for a second.

Damn, I would have thought you would have.

:lol:

I agree with Robert here, we now live in a more civilized society where all have equal rights.

If I could afford to, I'd hire them on a wage just to avoid them being slaves.

Yeah, this is what I wanted to say. I'd like to have someone who would fulfill all the duties of a slave but somehow not have to live such a terrible life. Sounds weird.

[English translation needed]

I can't give an answer because I would not know if I would if I were in that situation. I can tell you right now, I am highly against slavery, but I can't give an honest answer because I wouldn't know what to do in that situation.

Hard to explain. :wall:

No, I wouldn't. I like to do things for myself, and if I can't/have too many things to do, then I'll probably have enough money to hire an assistant :P

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

This is a dumb question.

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

It's not much of a difference paying your sweatshop workers pennies a day. You just can't legally beat them.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

At this point, in first world countries, I don't think human slavery is really possible. Too many activists, too many laws that would get in the way. Now, here's the real question. If we created thinking AI robots, andh ad them do all the hard labor jobs for us, but then they became self aware, would we keep them as slaves?

Women are shipped over from China and Eastern Europe and forced to work as sex workers in first world countries. These people are slaves. I presume you meant making slavery legal was impossible in first world countries though.

As for the OP's question; no I wouldn't own a slave, even if it was legal to do so. The idea of owning a person and forcing them to work for you is immoral.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Slavery already happens in numerous nations. Particularly in the west and southern coasts of the US where illegal immigrant Asians and Mexicans are essentially enslaved in the form of indentured servitude. I've seen it first-hand.

I would never own one. Human life is precious and something to be cherished, not squandered.

And define "inferior" to me, as that term is a label applied by an ignorant onlooker. If these people are human, albeit culturally undeveloped, we should protect them like similar tribes found in remote regions of the world.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

i'd buy one,but give him a good life(proper schooling,clothes,entertainment ect.)

yah, mee too, id dress him up in lots of clothes i like and take it for walks and stuff, maybe even teach him to do a few tricks to impress my friends.

iteme3721.jpg

I'd support it, hell yes. But it would be more efficient if we enslaved them until 16 and then drafted the males and seduced the females.

Fix'd. ;)

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Most (unwealthy average) people in capitalist western societies are enslaved by money and debts, living in delusional 'freedom'. You don't have to wear a steel ball chained to your legs, but you're still doing things you hate just to pay off necessities. The steel ball is mental unlike in feudal Europe or old America when it was physical.

Living conditions have improved and you can have your own/rented residence & family now, but you'll still be working a job you despise for 'big money' which is only interested in accumulating increased profits for their quarterly reports to appease even bigger money and investors.

Of course that doesn't apply to some of the smart people here who probably have a shot at landing a job they enjoy working (or already have one), but even in the US, the vast majority of the population works tedious labour jobs that could be likened to slavery, jobs that should be only fit for a machine.

Slavery exists and will always exist; People with money outsourcing dirty and tedious jobs to poorer people who have no option except compliance (or starvation). Being able to afford a TV or a vacation isn't really relevant. By working minimum wage or close to it in the US you are practically a slave like those in ancient Rome; living from hand to mouth every paycheck without the possibility of advancement.

Instead of an actual master telling you what to do, your master is now simply currency; Money. It's inanimate and cold, yet it makes the same clear, cruel point to poor people without saying a word: If you don't continue working your tedious job, your existence will crumble.