What movie(s) did you last see?

How2PK

To Kill a Mockingbird

If you loved the book, this film definitely did justice to it. It's so hard to write a comment for this film because I just finished the film about a minute ago and I'm still, pretty much, speechless.

Ultra Unholy,

Hearted Machine...

Tropic Thunder, I could finally be bothered to watch, and omg, funny as hell.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Yesterday I watched;

The Conversation - I'd been meaning to buy this before as I liked Coppola's other 70's films (Godfather 1 & 2 and Apocalypse Now). Anyway, I finally got around to it and I wasn't disappointed - this is an intelligent thriller where a conversation is continually interpreted and then re-interpreted to unravel a potential crime. It's much in the same vein as Blowup without being a shameless rip off.

Peeping Tom - I've seen this a few times and it gets better with every showing. It's about a psychologically damaged man who kills women and films it while presenting his victims with their own death by using a mirror on his film camera (I hope that made sense). I've been a fan of Powell and Pressburger (Black Narcissus, A Matter of Life & Death etc) for a while now, this film is just by Michael Powell but it's as good as (if no better) than his work with Pressburger. I love the ending which is so clever and imaginative.

The only thing that bugged me with the film last night is that ITV insisted on putting the sign language man on top of the film eventhough you can choose to put subtitles on if you're deaf. The idiot in the corner of the screen drove me mad. As a side note I only found out last night that Moira Shearer (who is in this film and in Powell and Pressburger's Tales of Hoffman and The Red Shoes) is from Dunfermline which is just a few miles from where I live.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Just got back from Eagle Eye, and I didn't really like it. Take Alfred Hitchcock, North by Northwest, Die Hard and 2001: A Space Odyssey, put it in the blender and give Paul Greengrass all responsibility. That would suck, and so does this movie. It's no secret that D.J. Caruso isn't the most creative filmmaker out there, but this is just crazy.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

while some more Tarkovsky movies come in thru the mail, i decided to check out a recommendation from a friend a couple of weeks ago, i shall now detail my reaction!

Aguirre, The Wrath of God - i can't understand a lick of german (subtitles yay), but wow...this film blew me away. klaus kinski is just plain frightening in this movie. this could easily become of my favourite films...its gorgeous yet visceral at the same time !

next to watch: Zerkalo and Fitzcarraldo

p915h.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched a crap load of movies/TV series since I last posted, and a few worth writing reviews over but I'm too lazy. So you get a review of a B-movie I watched instead.

The Gingerdead Man - A b-movie horror/comedy about a gingerbread man who kills people. I don't have a lot of experience with b-movies, but if they are like this I can see why people like them. I couldn't watch the same one more than once or twice but that first viewing is hilarious. Drinking a little bit would make it even better. This movie is full of absolutely horrid food-name puns, and stupid one liner jokes. I might write up a review for the sequel, The Gingerdead Man: The Passion of the Crust too.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Scarface - It was a lot more brutal than I had expected. The chainsaw scene was pretty shocking to me. Great acting though from Al Pacino 8/10

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

Yesterday morning I saw Stalker again. And as usual it is very good. I love Tarkovsky's world. Yesterday evening I decided to watch another Lindsay Andersson movie: O Lucky Man! and I loved it as much as his other movies that I've seen. This is by far his 'biggest' movie, spanning close to three hours, and what happens is just...crazy. It's like these crazy dreams that I'm having these days. When you're at the end of the movie it's so strange to think that it all began with a guy who was starting to sell coffee. Haha. Brilliant.

Friday night I also saw two movies. I was curious to the movies of Ramin Bahrani, when I read an interview with him in Cineaste, when I stumbled across a movie of his when I was at the mediamarket I decided to buy it. Man Push Cart Me and my friend saw it inmediatly. And I thought it was really good. It really shows the hard life of some American migrants, without getting sentimental. Pushing the cart up every day was an excellent metaphor. Finally, something worth watching the modern art-house scene. After that we saw the Myst on blu-ray. I already saw it, and didn't like it very much, but I wanted to try again. And I'm sorry to say that I still think it's a bad movie. Can't help it.

Other things that I've seen lately, but don't feel writing about (so I'll just go against my principles and give a grade)

Strangers on a Train (Hitchcock, 51) 9/10

Dial M for Murder (Alfred Hitchcock, 1954) 7.5/10

the Party (Blake Edwards, 1968) 8/10

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Stanley Kramer, 1963) 6.5/10

Flying Down to Rio (Thornton Freeland, 1933) 6.5/10

Footlight Parade (Lloyd Bacon, 1933) 8/10

Take Me Out to the Ball Game (Busby Berkeley, 1949) 7.5/10

21o4pav.jpg

Why did you think Funny Games was terrible?

I can't exactly pinpoint why, but...I was somewhat bored. It was amusing, yes, especially the entire rewinding and all, but...that one scene where the girl is staring at the TV for what seems like an eternity and the scenes following it are so slowww. I mean, yeah, I can enjoy Stalker, it's a lovely film for its sluggish pace, but, I think that this one did that all wrong. Terrible in this case was a strong word...it has its merits but I think its flaws are much more evident.

p915h.gif

Eastern Promises - more or less like the previous Cronenberg-Mortensen collaboration (A History of Violence).Both movies are certainly not bad but doesn't leave too much impact either.

This one was slightly better,mainly because Viggo's performence was the best i've seen from him so far( and ofcourse the turkish hammam scene :thumbup: )

The Coffin.Freaky Thai show,past midnight,alone in a cold theather minus a bunch of girls that screamed everytime something happened suddenly leads to...?

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Quantum of Solace After this movie I decided that I don't really like this 'realistic' Bond after all. It doesn't make sense at all. He is going trough the craziest action, but he still lives on cocktails and fingerfood. During the changes all they did is 'give him some emotion', in other words, they made him a sap. And that's not why I am watching a James Bond movie. If I want drama I'll watch a Cassavettes movie, not a James Bond movie. I just want a lot of humor, the classic lines, action and sex. The title-sequence wasn't very memorable either, and sex, well it wasn't there. The cute red-head (strawberrie fields hehe) had a screentime of one minute in total? It was good that the Bourne-esque action (or Intensified Continuity, call it what you want) wasn't as forced upon us as in other movies these days. Anyway. While there is a lot to complain, I still had a pretty good time.

21o4pav.jpg

Watched PI for the first time last night and I thought it was pretty dang good. I love Aronofsky's work, so it made it much better to watch.

My mother always told me not to look directly into the sun, so one day...I did.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."