What movie(s) did you last see?

How2PK

I'm back! Backish, anyhow.

Inglorious Basterds - Ah, Tarantino. I own pretty much every film he made, but I'd never call myself a fan of his work, strangely enough. It's always hit or miss with him, and even though I enjoy the hits, they're not the dvd's I grab most often for rewatches.

Inglorious Basterds was a miss to me. I have to admit I saw this film in Köln (it felt awkward watching it in a German public by the way, though they generally seemed to love it), which meant that the German wasn't subtitled, and Hitler had a difficult accent for me to decipher, so I definitely missed parts. Apart from that, I just didn't like it that much. Too much on the juvenile side. And, well, yeah, we've seen it all before. The blood, the gore, the shock; yawn.

Julie & Julia - Okay, so kill me. I sort of loved this one. It was cute and sweet and Streep had me giggling like an idiot. I've never really warmed up to Meryl Streep, probably never will, but she is an amazing actress. Won't get the dvd or anything, but I felt bouncy coming out of the theatre, so that's good.

:) welcome back.

Last thing I saw was San Quentin, which was mediocore. A pretty compact gangster/prison flick from the Warner stables. Seeing Bogey playing a 25 year old while he was nearly 40 was pretty funny.

Also went to the PAC (Pathé Alternative Cinema) festival this weekend where I saw Das Weisse Band (the new Haneke) which was terrible, Whatever Works, the new Woody Allen with Larry David (what a hero!) which was very funny and pleasant to watch. We also saw Bright Star, a costume drama about a woman and John Keats, it was a shame they kept pushing all that poetry on us, I got kind of tired of it after a while, if you ignore that it's a really nice film, for a costume drama. And Antichrist, I saw it for the second time, and I have come to the conclusion that I don't like it very much. From time to time Lars manages to create a pretty creepy atmosphere, and the movie is build really nice and 'smart', but it doesn't move me at all, so the drama part doesn't work and as a pure horror movie it isn't interesting enough either, next to that I'm kind of over his provocation (I'm not even talking about the disturbing scenes, more of things like the Tarkovsky hommage at the end of the movie), it makes him look like a kid that desperately wants to be taken seriously.

Other things I've seen this week:

230. dvd.pngThe Band Wagon (Vincente Minnelli, 1953) eye.gif :: 10.0

231. dvd.pngBride of the Monster (Edward D. Wood Jr., 1955) :: 7.5

232. dvd.pngGoyôkiba (Kenji Misumi, 1972) eye.gif :: 7.5

Also saw forty-five minutes of Touchez Pas au Grisbi, which made me fall asleep. :') I don't know what it is with those French crime movies from the 50s, but to me they always seem incredibly boring, I still need to find one that doesn't make me fall asleep.

[edit] Just finished watching Touchez Pas au Grisbi, and I must say I'm really impressed. From minute 40 'till the end it's a feast!

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Battlestar Galactica: The Plan - It was interesting at times, but for the most part wasn't really all that necessary. The 4's storyline was probably the best (the one in the fleet). Used a decent amount of stock footage also to make up for some of the main characters not being in it. Overall a little disappointing, on top of not expecting it to be great.

Wanted my 7,000th post to be in this topic, just wish it was for a better movie :mellow: .

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Land of the Lost. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I saw Paranormal Activity a couple days ago, it was not as scary as it was hyped to be... at all.

dcfclogo4.jpg

[Admin Edit: Attempting to publicly humiliate a user in your signature is inappropriate]

Quit Runescape... Dec 2001 - Jan 2008 on and off... mostly off.

28 Days Later.

Frank :-(

Did you like it?

I love that movie. :razz:

Yep, loved it, it was awesome :thumbsup:

Can't get over Frank dying, was one of the saddest and best scene I've seen in a while. He was the best character in the movie <3: Wasn't he the one guy from Harry Potter with the mechanical eye?

You gonna watch 28 weeks later?

Please dont watch Weeks. Its terrible.

Yeah I was cursing when Frank died, when I first saw Days. One of my favorite movies. Danny Boyle rocks.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Slumdog Millionaire - Not bad, too bad the dancing at the end ruined it a bit.

My only complaint about that movie was the music. I know MIA is the only good thing to have ever come from India, but did they need so much of it?

Knowing. I must say, I have never seen a movie that suffers from Indigo Prophecy Syndrome. Hard to say exactly when it crossed the line, but it was probably somewhere around the time the giant whiffle ball descended from the sky. I mean, I see what they were trying to do with that movie at the end there, and that whole concept, but they really should have made that idea into its own movie apart from the rest of the plot. The whole "Predicting every disaster, then they end of the world" is a fairly decent concept, but it really didn't need the aliens and a tie into Genesis. It was a pretty good movie before they showed up. Actually, no it wasn't, I never really noticed before now how bad of an actor Nicolas Cage is. This picture about sums it up, and while watching I remembered it but thought it said "National Treasure".

nicolas_cage_is_concerned.jpg

Not that the referenced movie makes much of a difference.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I know MIA is the only good thing to have ever come from India, but did they need so much of it?

That's funny because she's from Sri Lanka not India.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I don't think I have finished a movie in the longest time. Last night was Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. Previously was Across the Universe (the Beatles thingy like Mulan Rouge) and before that was a movie so bad that I didn't bother learning the name of the movie. (All I know it was some movie about Orchids and Cage was two brothers trying to be screen writers)

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

I know MIA is the only good thing to have ever come from India, but did they need so much of it?

That's funny because she's from Sri Lanka not India.

Well, you know me. Politically incorrect as I can be.

Mirrorforced, I know the one you're talking about. I've seen it. It was terrible. "Adaptation", it's called. I still can't hear "So Happy Together" without thinking of that movie.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

You could argue that she's from the Indian Sub-continent in a feeble attempt to be correct ;)

Anyway, to get back on topic, the last film that I watched was Requiem for a Heavyweight. It was ok, Anthony Quinn played a punch drunk boxer forced into retirement (after a fight with a very young Cassius Clay) and is trying to adjust to normal life while his scheming manager tries to manipulate him. For boxing fans, there are a few cameos from great old boxing greats (Jack Dempsey, Willie Pep & Cassius Clay as I mentioned earlier ). Not bad for a film that was shot while Anthony Quinn was on a break from filming Lawrence of Arabia.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)