The F2P General Discussion Thread

lionesshunt

The problem is that a monster F2P can kill will be too easy for members to kill. That will result in the monster being camped 24/7 even in non-LS worlds which will result in the item it drops not being that expensive at all.

Make it very rare, and if members camp it the price will probably drop to 5m, and then members might as well solo Godwars even though it would be harder but still doable for more money.

Animorph_2.png

Awww I got ignored, oh well.

Ways to make it less p2p soloable

Dilute the drops with charms and other semi-useless p2p items.

Make the monster have a long respawn time -or-

Make the f2p 'boss' the first in a series beasts, similar to the firecape, just cutoff the f2p after the first 1-2 waves, let members have the remaining, and perhaps put some penalty on teleporting out.

You can make the drop have an alch value of whatever, and then it'll always be worth that.

Also, give it the stats to make it worth more than its alch in F2P, and I think its problem solved.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Make the f2p 'boss' the first in a series beasts, similar to the firecape, just cutoff the f2p after the first 1-2 waves, let members have the remaining, and perhaps put some penalty on teleporting out.

1 Oziach from Dragon Slayer is a kind of slayer master, upgrade him.

2 Make the monster only one time a day (per player) attackable to prevent overconsumption on F2P and P2P. This will make arrange teams and teamplay relevant, nobody want to lose their once a day battle.

3 Drops maximum on 1 mill otherwise many F2P players will invest their new earned money in big bones and will rise more due to new prayer trainers.

greedy44.png

Well from what I have garnered from the Q&A Thread I am very excited, new weapons, new bosses (PLURAL), minigames/team activities and new skill that expands past the current map with no money required? I'm content to stay F2P this year thanks. =)

Well from what I have garnered from the Q&A Thread I am very excited, new weapons, new bosses (PLURAL), minigames/team activities and new skill that expands past the current map with no money required? I'm content to stay F2P this year thanks. =)

Don't expect too much. Our F2P voice isn't loud enough :mellow:

Quote's from Andrew from the Q & A sessions:

Cycloolephin asks:

When f2p gets the new skill(which I'm really grateful for), will we see as many updates? Not that we get a whole lot in the first place, but I hope you won't leave us alone for a year because of the new skill.

Answer:

f2p will still mainly continue to get 'non content' updates. So updates like better graphics, better sound, better controls, better interfaces, features that make the game more conveniant and less annoying to play etc f2p will continue to get as they always have.

'Content' updates like new quests and skills will however still be rare, as they are one of the main members benefits. This skill will be the biggest f2p content update in ages, but it doesn't mean they will suddenly get new content every week.

greedy44.png

[hide]

Don't expect too much. Our F2P voice isn't loud enough :mellow:

Quote's from Andrew from the Q & A sessions:

Cycloolephin asks:

When f2p gets the new skill(which I'm really grateful for), will we see as many updates? Not that we get a whole lot in the first place, but I hope you won't leave us alone for a year because of the new skill.

Answer:

f2p will still mainly continue to get 'non content' updates. So updates like better graphics, better sound, better controls, better interfaces, features that make the game more conveniant and less annoying to play etc f2p will continue to get as they always have.

'Content' updates like new quests and skills will however still be rare, as they are one of the main members benefits. This skill will be the biggest f2p content update in ages, but it doesn't mean they will suddenly get new content every week.

[/hide]

Oh yeah, I know not to expect too much, but a boss was practically confirmed in that Q&A, a new weapon suggested and the new skill is a defininte for F2P, along with extension of F2P map in some way. Miningames/team activities was last question last time I looked at the thread and thay said they were interested in the idea or something...

Glad to see Jmods are saying "F2P is not a demo" again, and again, and again... Any player who says otherwise is just ignorant, stubborn, or stupid.

I could care less about the new F2P quest, the new PvP equipment, etc.; as long as they don't fix their broken content its hard to get excited about new, likely buggy content.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

1 Oziach from Dragon Slayer is a kind of slayer master, upgrade him.

2 Make the monster only one time a day (per player) attackable to prevent overconsumption on F2P and P2P. This will make arrange teams and teamplay relevant, nobody want to lose their once a day battle.

3 Drops maximum on 1 mill otherwise many F2P players will invest their new earned money in big bones and will rise more due to new prayer trainers.

There wouldn't be many people training prayer as you think.

For most people use their money for other skills or fancy items.

The big bone price started to rise due to inflation caused by members.

Animorph_2.png

Just some things I found interesting and F2P-relevant when I was reading the Q&A (

Quick find code: 13-14-757-60366339 (or you can click on the link from the home page announcement)). I cut an pasted everything; the last post on the page contains all the F2P information, if you just want to go to the page to read it yourself, or you can just read it here to save time:

The new skill coming out that is for both free and members, is it a combat skill or non-combat?

Fredsgate

Yes, there will be parts of it that are free to play. The second part of your question is impossible for me to answer.

Mod Fetzki

1. Will you need to complete a quest to unlock the new skill? (Like for Summoning and Herblore.)

2. Will you need levels in other skills to do some features of the skill? (Like Agility shortcuts.)

King Kilr

1. No

2. No

Mod Fetzki

This is directed towards the content team. I am wondering if the new skill this year or other skills to come will be applied towards combat. If so, will it raise the combat level?

OwnerOfAll98

The new skill will not have any impact on combat level.

Mod Fetzki

When can we expect the new skill? What is it? Any hints? Can you confirm it has nothing to do with boats? Can you confirm it doesn't begin with a ‘B’? Necromancy? Archaeology? Can you say anything about those two things? Can you say whether it will be expensive, fast or slow XP, or anything of the sort?

Minifootyguy

I cannot say it has nothing to do with boats because a ship is featuring in it quite prominently, but I can repeat that it is not Sailing or anything like that. The skill doesn't start with a ‘B’. It won't be expensive.

Mod Fetzki

1. When is the new skill coming out? This month? This week? This year?

2. When will F2P get a new quest? I am P2P, but I was wondering as they have not had an update for quite some time.

Shack Tank

1. Not this month, but definitely this year.

2. Actually, we have updates for the free game quite frequently – some of the latest include more runes per essence when Runecrafting; increased unbalanced trading between friends; particles in the Christmas holiday event; and the new Standard Detail mode. That said, yes, we are actually releasing a new, low-level, free-to-play quest very soon.

Mod Fetzki

Recently, there have been a lot of members’ quests coming out. Will there be any new F2P quests?

lew neal960

Yes, there will be. It will be a starter's quest, so it will be very low-level, but we think we have some nice story in there and quite a nice reward.

1. Are you planning to make a boss for free players?

2. Will there ever be an equivalent of the black mask for rangers/magers?

3. Are you planning on making some long quests that will take more days to complete?

4. Any further plans to fix 76K tricking?

Tomm92h

1. Just one? No. More than that!

2. There is now! (The focus sight and hexcrest dropped by the new strykewyrms.)

3. Well, we hear there are people who need days to complete random events! ;) In all seriousness, we want to do hard quests in future that will be a real challenge to complete, rather than just add a million lines of text.

4. The update from 2009 has done away with a lot of 76k-ing so that it doesn't pay off any more. People who are still doing it are just hurting themselves!

Mod Fetzki

I am a member, but I am disappointed in the lack of F2P updates (quests, new areas, ways to train), because most of my friends are F2P and we train and quest together. My questions are:

1. Will there be a new F2P quest soon that could be classified as a Master quest?

2. When will this happen?

3. For existing skills, will there be new ways to train them for F2P?

4. Can you make a new area for F2P, possibly a high-level dungeon or a new city?

VotePedroMan

No, we won't release updates for the free game soon that are aimed at higher levels. We think that it is only fair that the paying members get most our new content and the most efficient training methods – they pay our wages, after all. When it comes to changes in basic mechanics like the amount of runes you get per essence, then we always include the free game as well, but new developments are normally kept for members. The Easter event will be for all players as usual.

Mod Fetzki

It was once said that free-to-play was not a trial version of the pay-to-play game. I feel that is not completely true. After a certain level, that isn't very high, there was nothing left to do besides Mining and Smithing. I became a member for the first time at level 80, and I wanted to ask a few things that I always wanted to ask:

1. When will free-to-play players get some good content updates besides the new skill?

2. Will they ever be able to have better armor and weapons than rune?

3. Will you ever release new, stronger monsters that give better drops for those high-level non-members that can't afford membership?

4. Dragon Slayer is the hardest quest available for non-members, and that wasn't very hard. Will you ever release a Grandmaster or Master quest for non-members? Or perhaps just a harder, longer quest in general?

Thanks for the awesome game!

Salmonstein

Of course the free game is not a trial otherwise it would be limited, either in time or a level cap, but nothing of that nature limits how much you can play RuneScape. The majority of skills are free; holiday events are always free; you can trade with members over the Grand Exchange... Do you really need more evidence that we don't treat the free game as trial? Okay, then take the fact that we updated the bank so that ex-members can still use it and don't have to drop all their items. And, of course, the new skill! This is pretty amazing and unmatched by any other big MMO that is on the market.

Mod Fetzki

Will the free map ever be expanded? (Simply answer with yes or no.)

Xsdvd

Well, the new skill DOES take you beyond the current free map, so my answer has to be yes!

Mod Fetzki

Will F2P get high-level updates (sure, not 'high-level' in the sense of P2P, maybe just level 60+), because I've played for a rather long time and had access to the best F2P equipment for about 3-4 years now. It gets somewhat annoying. Thanks for the opportunity to ask you something. :D

*hoping for response*

Cycloolephin

There won't be high-level updates – we keep these for our paying members, who pay the wages of our artists, developers, testers, etc, but we are currently thinking whether we should introduce a new free-to-play weapon. Let's see whether we really do it; I think the chances are quite high.

Mod Fetzki

Are there any plans for any F2P minigames or team activities in the first half of 2010?

Light Vizor

Yes!

Mod Fetzki

So much in store. :smile:

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

Hopefully the F2P boss monster has something to do with my idea :lol:. And its great to hear that the new skill isn't a money sink... Any skill that costs you 200M+ is probably not worth it, unless thee is something in the higher levels that actually benefits you.

disturbeda.png

I'm wondering what it means that they plan on releasing several boss monsters for F2P, but don't plan on releasing high lvl content anytime soon... does that mean they plan "mid" lvls boss monsters? I'm somewhat confused by this contradiction...

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

But how would a f2p boss monster work in terms of drops?

Its drops would have to be good enough for f2pers to kill but be bad enough so that member's wouldn't want to take the thing down in less than 10 seconds.

And a F2P exclusive boss might work but won't go over with the p2p crowd well.

perhaps it could only be fought on f2p worlds.

but be bad enough so that member's wouldn't want to take the thing down in less than 10 seconds.

The only way P2P would be able to take a monster down in less than 10 seconds would be if they killed it on P2P worlds, which have nothing to do with F2P worlds.

If they choose to compete with F2Pers, then their dragon armor and abyssal whips would be no use to them, so obviously they wouldn't bother coming to F2P to kill our monsters.

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

but be bad enough so that member's wouldn't want to take the thing down in less than 10 seconds.

The only way P2P would be able to take a monster down in less than 10 seconds would be if they killed it on P2P worlds, which have nothing to do with F2P worlds.

If they choose to compete with F2Pers, then their dragon armor and abyssal whips would be no use to them, so obviously they wouldn't bother coming to F2P to kill our monsters.

i'm interested in how jagex will handle this thats all. a boss for f2p would have to be weak enough for f2p to kill (relatively speaking compared to alot of p2p bosses) and have good loot(again relatively speaking). but have some sort of reason why members shouldn't want kill it on their worlds with ease... To protect the integrity on its drops. So its worth it for f2p (or members using f2p equipment) to kill but not members on member worlds.

I guess that's why they are taking a lot of time to balance it out so it wouldn't disrupt the integrity of both F2P and P2P world. From what it seems so far, the new skill will be confine to one area specifically, since you need to get there by a ship (or a quest that involve it to activate first). So if there is harder monster, it probably apply to mid range f2p, not higher lvl ones. I don't really know what else are harder beside the Revs in wildy. Other monsters even the Greater or Soldiers doesn't seem that hard for lvl 100 plus

a happy Runescaper

Does anyone know how fast xp smelting gold amulets for crafting xp is? :D

I did 1k gold amulets in about 30 mins, so I would assume it's about 60k exp/hour.

Though, gold ammys aren't selling very well atm (I tried selling all of them on lowest but it did not work).

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

F2P is like a friend of P2P that gets our spillover chicks. So while P2P is off hooking up with a hot chick update (Nomad), F2P is stuck having to make due with the fat chick update (graphics).

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

F2P is like a friend of P2P that gets our spillover chicks. So while P2P is off hooking up with a hot chick update (Nomad), F2P is stuck having to make due with the fat chick update (graphics).

Nah, i don't know wich type of girl i am. I find myself very attractive, that's most inportant! :smile:

May is choose for this analogy:

P2P get a fancy raspberry milkshake,

F2P get a regular glass of milk.

greedy44.png