Jagex Calling Police

Stev

Thats actually really awesome. Granted that 99% of the time that the person is just kidding, but you never know about that one percent.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning, a guy was on his way to join us for a game of non combat sc, he missed the game by a minute. When he realised it, he said 'imma go kill myself' and he ran away.

I thought he was joking and said 'lol', when I could have reported him and have the local police show up at his door. Lol! I know what I'm doing next time... :lol:

(maybe I can't advertise here, but 'fast sc' is a great non-combat stealing creation cc ;-) )

Police shows up at suspects door

Police: Do you play Runescape?

Player: Yes

Police: were you training fletching?

Player: Yes

Police: Third one today tbh.

Lol.

I hope they dedicate an episode of 'Cops' on this subject.

Just to see their reactions when they open the door... #-o

Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you... :thumbsup: WIN

1251842664adamantdragonsignature.png

<_<

An in-game friend of mine made a similar joke about suicide in-game.

A day or so later, he received a message from Jagex detailing several programs/groups he could get in touch with that could help him sort out any issues he may be having.

I think it's good that they care, although I'm not sure how I would feel if they sent the police to my house...

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Think of how much time they are wasting for Law Enforcement to go out to somebodies house each time they get a suicide threat reported. Don't say that one life saved is all worth it, because the Police could have saved 10-20 lives in the amount of time they spent chasing 10 year olds who rage over a game.

Stellactic.gif

<_<

An in-game friend of mine made a similar joke about suicide in-game.

A day or so later, he received a message from Jagex detailing several programs/groups he could get in touch with that could help him sort out any issues he may be having.

I think it's good that they care, although I'm not sure how I would feel if they sent the police to my house...

Only time they come to my house is for that neighbour watch **** :P but yes it's nice that they care but the last place I'd say my problems would be is on a game full of trolls :P

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Think of how much time they are wasting for Law Enforcement to go out to somebodies house each time they get a suicide threat reported. Don't say that one life saved is all worth it, because the Police could have saved 10-20 lives in the amount of time they spent chasing 10 year olds who rage over a game.

Yeah, sad that some people care about every single life. :wall: Perhaps it was a slow day for police? :-P

1251842664adamantdragonsignature.png

To be perfectly honest, I think jagex shouldn't interfere nor mingle in their clients' personal lives and choices. Their life, their choice. (I'm not saying it's a good idea to commit suicide though, in my opinion it's _the_ worst way to "solve" your problems and issues)

Visit www.trackscape.nl for RuneScape stat tracking! If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, I made the site.

90.png

elnaeth.png

Taking things literally, as jagex should with these matters, if you say, "I'm going to harm myself" your 'personal life' does not exist any more to them because society puts the value of your life over any other posessions you have. They are well aware of the tolls games like these can take on serious players. They are also well aware of what players invest into these games (such as time and money). You are automatically assumed to be a hazard to your own life when you are caught saying such things in their game. When it comes to teenagers and even young adults its become the norm to jokingly say comments like "omg I'm going to kill myself." What they fail to realize is that there are people who don't see into those jokes like others do. There are also people just the same who say it and it may seem like a joke and everyone else laughs and that person may feel even more vindicated, but they literally mean every word. Also I'm sure one thing jagex takes into consideration which most others don't is the fact teenagers and young adults are the most hormonally imbalanced, emotional and irrationally thinking age group over all others.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Although it's nice that Jagex is trying to save lives by taking such drastic measures they are taking this too far when they contact authorities over something said on the Runescape, which is notorious for jokes that end in being reported. I don't believe that Jagex should have the right to invade into your life via the police unless they have multiple threats or a record about your account for saying something like that. This will only arouse trolls under proxies to make waste accounts and ran around saying "omfg I just died I'ma go hang myself!@!@1one!@" just so the police in some random area are called. Of course I find this whole ordeal hard to believe and am only stating the above opinion on the premise that this is a 100% true story and not something concocted by a troll.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Think its pretty neat that they actually went through all that to make sure the dude is allright. :o

It might have just been a joke, but ending your own life isnt really something people should joke about. :unsure:

I live how whenever there's something like a shooting or suicide or something else posted on the internet and it turns out to be true and actually happens, everyone starts pointing fingers. I'm sure you all remember Timmy who got his account hacked when he tried to RWT, then a reporter got bad publicity for Jagex even though HE broke their rules, and the idiot reporter was no help in the situation.

In the case of suicide, Jagex is obviously doing this for everyone's benefit: a life can be saved, and they can avoid taking the blame if a suicide thread actually is followed through and they did nothing. People should stop complaining that Jagex is doing this, they need to if they want to save their reputation.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Taking things literally, as jagex should with these matters, if you say, "I'm going to harm myself" your 'personal life' does not exist any more to them because society puts the value of your life over any other posessions you have. They are well aware of the tolls games like these can take on serious players. They are also well aware of what players invest into these games (such as time and money). You are automatically assumed to be a hazard to your own life when you are caught saying such things in their game. When it comes to teenagers and even young adults its become the norm to jokingly say comments like "omg I'm going to kill myself." What they fail to realize is that there are people who don't see into those jokes like others do. There are also people just the same who say it and it may seem like a joke and everyone else laughs and that person may feel even more vindicated, but they literally mean every word. Also I'm sure one thing jagex takes into consideration which most others don't is the fact teenagers and young adults are the most hormonally imbalanced, emotional and irrationally thinking age group over all others.

I have to agree with your point of view here. I remember once, an 8 year old kid in the Detroit area called 911 (the phone number for emergencies, in case anyone outside of the US doesn't know) saying that something was wrong with his mother. It sounded to the operator like it was a prank call, so she didn't trace the call or do anything else about it. It turned out to be a serious call and the mother died of a heart attack. It's exactly like you say there -- some people are serious about it, and there's too much on the line to dismiss it. Sure, it's the cultural norm to joke about that, but if there is even the trace possibility that someone might, then to not even try to help them is idiotic. And you're not wasting police time -- the job of the police is to protect citizens, and not just against crime, sometimes it's against themselves.

I know what I've said here will probably be ignored and there will be people who think "He was just joking -- they're wasting the police's time" and I'm unlikely to change their minds. But to me, it's obvious that they're doing the right thing.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

Simple. They have your IP which is basically your address. Most they have to do is contact your ISP which is actually legal (In Canada anyways).

With an IP, you can narrow it down to the city.

So you know the city, but still not the exact location nor his name >_>

Anyone can find out the city and ISP - the isp can get an address from an IP address.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I have to agree with your point of view here. I remember once, an 8 year old kid in the Detroit area called 911 (the phone number for emergencies, in case anyone outside of the US doesn't know) saying that something was wrong with his mother. It sounded to the operator like it was a prank call, so she didn't trace the call or do anything else about it. It turned out to be a serious call and the mother died of a heart attack. It's exactly like you say there -- some people are serious about it, and there's too much on the line to dismiss it. Sure, it's the cultural norm to joke about that, but if there is even the trace possibility that someone might, then to not even try to help them is idiotic. And you're not wasting police time -- the job of the police is to protect citizens, and not just against crime, sometimes it's against themselves.

I know what I've said here will probably be ignored and there will be people who think "He was just joking -- they're wasting the police's time" and I'm unlikely to change their minds. But to me, it's obvious that they're doing the right thing.

I totally agree with this (that case with the kid and the mom was so tragic and heartbreaking) and I think that this really should show as a warning not to joke about harming oneself on the internet. In real life, where people can judge by the look on your face and/or the tone of your voice how you mean the statement "i'm going to kill myself because of such and such" is different than the toneless text of the internet.

I mean, why else but this tone deaf nature of text did we invent psudo-html sarcams tags!

this smells fishy to me tbh....

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Lol suicide against the law. What are they gonna do, cuff the body?

This is really ridiculous. Yes, Jagex should act on IRL threats, but only those that are serious. I don't want to worry about the cops showing up at my house if I make some sarcastic comment about my failures.

Of course, we don't know the actual wording used in the situation.

Lol suicide against the law. What are they gonna do, cuff the body?

This is really ridiculous. Yes, Jagex should act on IRL threats, but only those that are serious. I don't want to worry about the cops showing up at my house if I make some sarcastic comment about my failures.

Of course, we don't know the actual wording used in the situation.

No if the person attempting suicide (eg somebody finds them and calls emergency services and they survive) they go straight to jail.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

I understand Jagex' worry and all, but it really does play risk to the player. Say if you were joking around like the OP and cops come and it turns out to be false, it leaves you with a tainted reputation and even your account being marked too.

So I dunno.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

You know, I never really thought about this happening, but it really gives you a different perspective on a lot of things you might say in game, jokingly. I know, for sure, I won't be joking about this.

I appreciate that Jagex can, and is obligated to do this sort of thing, because even if 99/100 people joke and just get a warning, if that 1/100 is thinking about, or actually going to attempt suicide, or something dangerous to others, then it's worth the time by all parties involved. Ending a life is a very serious matter, and I'm joyous that Jagex will at least try to help, no matter what. It goes to show that Jagex isn't all about making money, but are trying to also be good citizens of the world. Although, I guess you could argue that they're saving you, to save ~$5 a month for them :P

codguy.png

Codguy.png