08-Feb-10 - Musical Update & Strykewyrms

Toad

you know you dont have to kill them, if you cant get a fire cape it doesnt mean you cant slay at all, they didnt exist pre update so if you cant bother to go get a fire cape then its like the update just didnt happen for you

saying some people cant get it is a bit of bull, why ir you 138 with venge and dclaws, pray switching doesnt mean a thing, you can prettymuch put on pray melee/ss and rush him and get lucky 50% of the time

it doesnt matter if hes off screen, use sound

well im about to get 90 slayer tonight, i view dark beasts as an allaround better task than ice wyrms, more charms and more cannonable, the money isnt all that mattters to me, there 1.5x faster xp

i do like the push for more hihg level content tho, hope they do this with more skills like smith craft farm rc etc

a_final_name.png

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people don't have the physical capacity to defeat Jad. Aurian hit it pretty spot on, and if they made the cape look cool it would be a decent way of showcasing a high slayer level. I personally don't have a problem with the update, and while the people who have legitimate concerns are few, they are there and they aren't just whining for the sake of whining.

... No... If you have Parkinson's, Arthritis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, some sort of hypersensitivity/numbness, or etc, then you're unable to fight Jad. I can't believe how many idiots are alluding to the assumption that these kind of people should be catered to by updates. If someone can drive a car and not get in an accident, they can [bleep]ing fight Jad without issues, given enough practice. I wont even go into detail about this because I don't want to argue with people that think that they don't have the reflexes to fight Jad, when they can go about life not dieing in car crashes or carrying out normal life. It's just bull [cabbage]. If you people want to offer up some good argument, don't say it's unfair to those with physical limitations. You shouldn't be playing an RPG if you have problems with reflexes. It's Role-Playing, not turn-based.

Edit: Not directing this at you, Range.

guido_49.png

For everyone whining about the unfair requirement of a fire cape, why not suggest useful and constructive alternatives?

I've seen people suggesting a buyable version of hte firecape with serious drawbacks, but have to wonder why put a whole new item into the game, when you could easily just add to pre-existing content to give it an actual use.

My suggestion, which people may use/criticize or do whatever they please with is as follows:

Slayer cape should count as slayer equipment. Plain and simple, 99 slayer should allow people to fight slayer monsters who require a specific item, without said item. it makes sense, and gives people who dont want/cant get a firecape a viable solution. If you're already 93+ you're probably going for 99, so tough it out one way or the other honestly.

thats my suggestion for a solution. And a second suggestion is to stop whining and ask jagex for an alternative rather than a flat out change if it bothers you so much.

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!

Finally got my first Strykewyrm task, 129 Jungle Strykewyrms!

Do you really need a Wooden Shield to fight them?

It sounds really dumb... But like something JaGEx might tack on there, considering all of the other new details of these monsters.

I just need a confirmation BEFORE I go there. Because I kinda wanna use the Zamorakian Spear.

2dgucz6.png

It sounds really dumb... But like something JaGEx might tack on there, considering all of the other new details of these monsters.

I just need a confirmation BEFORE I go there. Because I kinda wanna use the Zamorakian Spear.

What? Wooden shield? Where did that notion come from? Anyway I'm almost positive you don't need it. I've had two tasks there myself (NO HEX FML) and I used whip + defender. Might want some super anti though.

What? Wooden shield? Where did that notion come from? Anyway I'm almost positive you don't need it. I've had two tasks there myself (NO HEX FML) and I used whip + defender. Might want some super anti though.

Thank you. And I had heard that on like the first Youtube video posted of someone fighting them... I thought it sounded dumb though.

2dgucz6.png

After some consideration..

The Fire Cape is an excellent reward for a minigame which can take you over an hour to do and can all be messed up in 5 seconds. It should NOT be a requirement for another piece of high level skill content which people have been waiting for ever since Jagex made the Slayer Skill.

By all means let us still use the Fire Cape to kill them, but add a lesser cape to the Slayer Masters shop, have it degrade at the end of your task and cost say 50k? Oh and add a 5/10% hit bonus to Fire Cape wearers.

-Jagex wants an item that is fire-themed

-Jagex wants an item that is combat related, and commonly used in Slayer over several items that might be fire-themed

-Jagex wants to exclude loot farmers from the actual slayers for strykewyrms

-Jagex wants to keep the content elite*

*The interpretation of elite varies with different content. In this case, it refers to combat skill in defeating Jad, not patience in grinding. My general definition of an elite is one that can do EVERYTHING in the game.

I don't remember any alternative that doesn't destroy any of the above purpose. If you feel that Fire Cape is a barrier preventing you from accessing this monster, I agree. Jagex should make the ice wyrms themselves as lethal as tormented demons. There you have it, direct access to the wyrms as long as you have 93 Slayer.

Bottomline is, Jagex is all out to make this task tough. The only difference is whether they want you to make a one time payment by passing the Fight Caves ONCE, or just make the monster itself real tough. The latter isn't very practical, since you're getting excessive adrenaline rush throughout the whole task, therefore the former is the preferred choice.

I posted something similar on the RSOF, and thus far only one guy made a pretty decent yet funny suggestion. See, the issue here is "Not being able to access the Ice Strykewyrm due to lack of Fire Cape". Therefore, this guy suggested that players can fight the Ice Strykewyrms without Fire Cape, but as such the SOL will be frozen in the carcass and disappear together with it (Zero chance of getting SOL as a drop). Techically speaking, you can now ACCESS ice wyrms as long as you have 93 slayer, and you can still obtain SOL by other means (soon).

Voila! Issue of exclusiveness solved.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Hey I just got a good idea for an alternative to fire cape: an enchanted fire tiara. 2 Fire runes = 1 charge. Every time a wyrm attacks you, regardless if they hit, it drains 1. And the best part is... you can't use your precious slayer helm :twss:

Possibly this item could also be used to be protected from cold weather ticks...

Hey I just got a good idea for an alternative to fire cape: an enchanted fire tiara. 2 Fire runes = 1 charge. Every time a wyrm attacks you, regardless if they hit, it drains 1. And the best part is... you can't use your precious slayer helm :twss:

Possibly this item could also be used to be protected from cold weather ticks...

now here is an idea that i think it decent,

still i love to see all the level 93 slayers who cant manage to get a fire cape XD its kinda sad tbh seeing as he has been killed in 6 seconds w/o pray switching

29bc22o.png

[hide=drops]10 black masks, 39 dragon boots, 21 whip, 9 dark bow, 7 dragon legs, 8 mauls, 3 dragon left half, 2 dragon spear, 2 hexcrest, 1 kbd heads, 10 dragon med, 2 R ammy, 2 granite legs, 1 bandos boots , 1 bandos hilt , 1 bandos chestplate, 1 saradomin sword(ls), 2 dragon claws(ls)(solo)[/hide]

[hide=Viralaether's guide to Mac use]1) take your mac

2) drop it off your roof

3) ??????

4) Profit![/hide]1/7/9 quest cape ||| 5/6/9 all diaries ||| 7/14/9 300 rank MA ||| 4998th to 99 summoning on 2/27/10

"now here is an idea that i think it decent,

still i love to see all the level 93 slayers who cant manage to get a fire cape XD its kinda sad tbh seeing as he has been killed in 6 seconds w/o pray switching"

lol imagin how many trys this took... not every1 can spec 2 70's then get lucky with a good veng... not to mention id like to see you reenact this lol..

i recently got my firecape yesterday, took 4 trys.. i could of had 2 trys ago but panicing dosent help... its not that they cant get it... its just that there lazy or dont wana do waves. The waves was a big reason i didnt wana get firecape was so annoyingspending all that time and then messing up once and haveing to start all over..

still i love to see all the level 93 slayers who cant manage to get a fire cape XD its kinda sad tbh seeing as he has been killed in 6 seconds w/o pray switching

Its also possible to solo the corp and how many people actually do that?

And i'm 94 slay with almost max stats besides pray. And it is imposible for me to kill jad. Its not that i'm lazy or don't like fight caves, Its actually my second favorite minigame, it is literally impossible for me to kill him.

The reson why is because of my internet conncection. The only, ONLY, conection that i can get out here is satalite and because of that there is a time delay from when i see or hear his attack to when i switch prayers. Because of that no matter what i do it is impossible for me to actually protect against one of his attacks unless it is through sheer dumb luck that i pick the right prayer.

Having an item as a requirement that is impossible for some people to get simply because of where they live is a dumb idea.

Like others have said you could have an enchanted fire tiara, like the enchanted water tiara, that uses runes to protect against ice ( might even be usable for ancient spells or wyverns but thats another topic), fire gloves, ring of fire, heck even an adze could be used, or simply a dumbed down version of the fire cape that degrades and can only be bought with tokuul so that it still introduces people to the fight caves.

What i would personally like to see happen is have an area efect in the icewyrm caverns similair to the desert or the snow areas near gwd that does minor damage and reduces a random stat slowly over time. a fire cape would nullify that effect and make it easier to kill them but slayers who have not gotten it could still kill them but require more work.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

But that is just a technicality, slayer is a combat oriented skill which I would approximate 99.99% use combat to train (is it even possible to train it without any sort of combat?). It's like me calling my hoover a hoover, when it is a Dyson, but it is still a hoover.(bad example:))

Certainly! not very efficiently though. I have a friend who's a skiller with ten 99s, no ranked combat skills (he is level 23 cb to be fair) and all other skills 92+ with the exception of slayer, which is level 68 purely from xp lamps from randoms.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Vintage_Phil.png

I've been to the Crunch once...

And i'm 94 slay with almost max stats besides pray. And it is imposible for me to kill jad. Its not that i'm lazy or don't like fight caves, Its actually my second favorite minigame, it is literally impossible for me to kill him.

The reson why is because of my internet conncection. The only, ONLY, conection that i can get out here is satalite and because of that there is a time delay from when i see or hear his attack to when i switch prayers. Because of that no matter what i do it is impossible for me to actually protect against one of his attacks unless it is through sheer dumb luck that i pick the right prayer.

Having an item as a requirement that is impossible for some people to get simply because of where they live is a dumb idea.

Like others have said you could have an enchanted fire tiara, like the enchanted water tiara, that uses runes to protect against ice ( might even be usable for ancient spells or wyverns but thats another topic), fire gloves, ring of fire, heck even an adze could be used, or simply a dumbed down version of the fire cape that degrades and can only be bought with tokuul so that it still introduces people to the fight caves.

What i would personally like to see happen is have an area efect in the icewyrm caverns similair to the desert or the snow areas near gwd that does minor damage and reduces a random stat slowly over time. a fire cape would nullify that effect and make it easier to kill them but slayers who have not gotten it could still kill them but require more work.

"Its not that i'm lazy or don't like fight caves..."

Actually, I WOULD call you lazy for not being able to find ANY way to use a clear connection. (maybe the library? or your friend's house? any relatives?) I hate when people use this as an CONVENIENT excuse for why they can't beat Jad. I just don't buy it...

Just flat out and say Jad is too hard and that you want to dumb down the requirements and make EVERYTHING in the game simply grindable...

Swaggers.png

Is it just me or did Jagex forgett to put in the Focus Sight picture and stats in the linked thread to the slayer items?

Sir_Nitram99.png

8 skills at 99: Herblore - Farming - Cooking - Firemaking - Woodcutting - Fletching - Magic - Crafting

B)

hexcrestdrop.jpg

hex2.jpg

^ I just saw it in my inventory, didn't realise a Wyrm had dropped it nor have I seen me picking it up. I was very surprised.

Traded one, got full slayer helmet.

Yay.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

as a solution to getting yourself a fire cape, i would suggest meleeing jad. If you are maxed stats, you might be able to get yourself one in uder a few seconds. I believe that Woox16, the first person to solo corp beast, is currently the record holder for killing jad, at under 6 seconds. You might try that if you are close to maxed melee. From 94 slayer, you probably have made a large amount of cash, so i would assume that you have bandos or something. From what i saw in the video, it looks kind of luck based, but also not too difficult if you can get to jad.

Strategy:

Wait for jad where you normally would at italy rock, trap him where he cannot attack you on other side of the rock. Cast vengence. Wait till you are able to cast vengance again. Extreme set, or overload if you can. Pray turmoil and either soul split or protect melee (soul split would be best). Sprint to jad and claw him, when attack hits you, cast vengance again and use your second claw spec. Swap to whip and rune defender, attack normally. God willing, you will have done huge damage with the claw specs, and in the video woox16 does a total of 1 damage with his whip. Veng and claws did rest, and healers never even reached jad.

Its risky, but you dont really have to prayer swap. If you miniclip when you claw spec, using humidify or something, you might even leave yourself time to click spec again b4 switching to mage window for your 2nd veng.

I think that jagex only added the firecape requirement to the ice strykewryms because kuradel gives Jad tasks, and thus to kill the best task you can get from kuradel, you would have to have finished her hardest task. Loved the update tho :)

I might have to go try for firecape again.

pere_grin.png

Or maybe people should just accept that some content is aimed at those who excel in patience and perseverance, some updates are aimed towards those with reflexes and timing, and some updates require both. It's not the end of the world. People who have the patience for 93 slayer but not the ability to kill Jad are no more meant to be able to kill Ice Strykewyrms than someone with no patience to train slayer but the the ability to beat Jad.

Instead of adding more excuses to the mountain of "reasons we can't beat Jad", just get over yourselves. Ice Strykewyrms wasn't meant for slayer, it was meant for slayer who ALSO have the abilities to handle fight caves. Jad's been beaten before without prayer-switching (through multiple strategies), Jad's been beaten despite horrible lag, Jad's been beaten by low and high levels alike.

People can be so hypocritical. They demand content for experienced players, citing their own favorite skills and their own levels of play, and when an update is beyond their own reach, they come up with every reason to try to lower the difficulty...

Or maybe people should just accept that some content is aimed at those who excel in patience and perseverance, some updates are aimed towards those with reflexes and timing, and some updates require both. It's not the end of the world. People who have the patience for 93 slayer but not the ability to kill Jad are no more meant to be able to kill Ice Strykewyrms than someone with no patience to train slayer but the the ability to beat Jad.

Instead of adding more excuses to the mountain of "reasons we can't beat Jad", just get over yourselves. Ice Strykewyrms wasn't meant for slayer, it was meant for slayer who ALSO have the abilities to handle fight caves. Jad's been beaten before without prayer-switching (through multiple strategies), Jad's been beaten despite horrible lag, Jad's been beaten by low and high levels alike.

People can be so hypocritical. They demand content for experienced players, citing their own favorite skills and their own levels of play, and when an update is beyond their own reach, they come up with every reason to try to lower the difficulty...

I agree.

I completely agree with this. People ask for "elite" content, and when it comes out, they can't take advantage of it, and they whine to get it so they can. Can't use elite content? Guess you aren't elite enough.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

I completely agree with this. People ask for "elite" content, and when it comes out, they can't take advantage of it, and they whine to get it so they can. Can't use elite content? Guess you aren't elite enough.

The fallacy here is believing that the same people who asked for "elite" content are the same people now complaining.

That's if you view a fire cape as "elite" - many posts claim its not elite at all - it's easy, as all you have to do is switch prayers. "Elite" or not: I guess it depends on what pseudo arguments are being made at the time.

In reality, this is boiling down to whose daddy can buy them the best Internet connection.

If Jagex had made the SoL an added reward for Fight Caves only, no one would be complaining. It's the repurposing of old stand alone minigames as new skill content that is so annoying.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

The fallacy here is believing that the same people who asked for "elite" content are the same people now complaining.

That's if you view a fire cape as "elite" - many posts claim its not elite at all - it's easy, as all you have to do is switch prayers. "Elite" or not: I guess it depends on what pseudo arguments are being made at the time.

In reality, this is boiling down to whose daddy can buy them the best Internet connection.

If Jagex had made the SoL an added reward for Fight Caves only, no one would be complaining. It's the repurposing of old stand alone minigames as new skill content that is so annoying.

Connecting different parts of the game (parts that are widely unused and ignored) to skills is bad?

guido_49.png

Connecting different parts of the game (parts that are widely unused and ignored) to skills is bad?

Well it CAN be bad. If the old piece of content is underused because it never served a useful purpose in the first place. I find it kind of stupid to force people to do one thing to accomplish another thing entirely. Why not make the original content useful instead?

In this case though fire cape is a useful item in its own right, being the only cape with a str bonus, and downright awesome looking. And besides killing TzTok-Jad has everything to do with the theme of Slayer: the ability to kill some of RuneScape's most dangerous creatures. In fact they even made the fight cave potentially easier by having Kuradal offer to change your assignment to fight cave, allowing the use of the slayer helm (and now, the full slayer helm with its +15% range goodness). I'd like to see this theme of boss assignments continue. I'd love a level 90+ slayer guild with some grandmaster that assigns random bosses. That would revive some of the more under-visited bosses of runescape in keeping with the theme of Slayer: to kill things for glory, not just cash.