08-Feb-10 - Musical Update & Strykewyrms

Toad

You can also spend a week at arma and not get anything. What's your point?

Arma can be done at your leisure, not in 2 hour chunks. And if someone goes to arma, it is because they ACTUALLY WANT to go to arma, not because they are forced to to kill a monster.

Oh, and I am yet to see someone with a hexcrest equiped, anyone got pics?

After this post you should stop talking.

No-one is forcing you to kill a monster. In exactly the same way no-one is forcing you to kill arma. I have no idea why you think you are actually forced to kill Jad. If you don't want to be able to kill wyrms for a task, then don't, it's that simple.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stryke Wyrms are a rare task for many people. Requiring a task to kill them is far more inconveniencing than the Fire Cape. Getting a Fire Cape is largely controllable-- there is a significant amount of skill involved-- and you can get better at it. Receiving a Stryke Wyrm task is completely random, and that is very unfair. I know many players who are way above the requirement for Ice Strykewyrms, yet they have consumed hundreds of points and done dozens of tasks without receiving it.

I'd rather it be 'task only". When I'm slaying, it's annoying when you see non-slayers camping at a certain monster when you need to complete a task. After all, this is supposed to be an incentive to train Slayer.

I'm all for making task only monsters, but not monsters that drop the range and mage equivilants of a black mask. Why should melee's "mask" come from a level 90ish creature that is easy to kill, can be camped, and drops the mask at about the same rate?

Hasn't task only monsters been more a recent trend? (with the Kuradal dungeon, Strykewyrms) This aspect was made to help out slayers deal with overcrowding and be able to train more efficiently.

But yeah, I agree with your point about the Black Masks, Hexcrests, and Focus Sights. They all should be obtainable in equal rates.

One idea I have for this is that they have separate Styrkewyrms; one for slayer only (put some in Kuradal's dungeon lol) and one free for all.

Swaggers.png

Arma can be done at your leisure, not in 2 hour chunks. And if someone goes to arma, it is because they ACTUALLY WANT to go to arma, not because they are forced to to kill a monster.

No-one is forcing you to kill a monster. In exactly the same way no-one is forcing you to kill arma. I have no idea why you think you are actually forced to kill Jad. If you don't want to be able to kill wyrms for a task, then don't, it's that simple.

No, you are forced to get the cape if you want to have the task. You can't do it without it so how else can you do it than having to get a cape that they don't want.

Sorry for having a differing opinion than your own

yes.png

You are telling me that it is realistic and feasible to do the caves in 10 minute intervals? And show me a single person that can beat jad in under an hour for their first cape. Some people only play 30 minutes at a time/day, why make a quite honestly stupid requirement? I don't have the slayer level, and if/when I do I plan to have had a fire cape for a long while, but the requirement to have one to kill these seems very forced and added just to give firecape a special purpose

Well I think you can safely log out every wave now up until Jad, but I think you're right it probably will take more than an hour to complete the fight caves. Personally at maxed cb it took me 1 hour 23 mins so I would hazard a guess at 2 hours for the average player.

My view on this matter is that if one doesn't actually have the slayer level to kill the ice strykewyrms then that person doesn't really have any reason to complain. I mean, why complain about something that doesn't affect you? Plus the cape isn't as hard as many make it out to be, there's tons of guides and videos out there detailing exactly how to defeat Jad with ease. Surely if a lvl 40 can get the cape, then so can the average player :P

Edit: Sorry I'm new to the forums and I don't know how to quote people properly this was for bloodstains post 1 page back.

Yeah, I've tried a couple times too and it took me closer to 2 hours each time. And I may not have the level but that doesn't mean I can't criticize, plus lots of people with the level have the same issue.

Oh, and for the quote I assume you cut out all the other bits of my post, so you needed to add the "/" in the

part at the end of my post when you quoted.

So

what i wrote [/ quote ] (without the spaces after /quote)

Ok well I still can't figure out the quote thing, but I disagree that many with 93 slayer are having trouble obtaining a fire cape. By having 93 slayer, that person has invested a lot of time into getting there, and is already very experienced in how the game works. Heres what someone on the last page said:

"Just tell me exactly how someone playing for 30 minutes a day could get to 93 slayer. At 30k/h (Not realistic at all), that's 15k xp/day.

7,195,629 (xp at 93)/15 000= 480 days approx.

That's highly ulikely that someone of that level would never find increments of an hour to pass the caves."

I agree with this person, and I would think someone with 93 slayer would have the ability to obtain a firecape with relative ease, given time invested in the game already as well as experience in the game.

No, you are forced to get the cape if you want to have the task. You can't do it without it so how else can you do it than having to get a cape that they don't want.

Thats the exact same as saying "I want to use extremes, but i don't have the herblore level. They are forcing me to train herblore!!!111!111!!!" seriously, its just a requirement to kill them, if you want to kill them follow the requirement, if you don't want to do the requirement then you don't get to kill them.

Y_Z.png

What's the difference between being "forced" to get 93 Slayer and being "forced" to get a Fire Cape? They're both requirements...doesn't really matter if you *want* the cape or not.

Honestly, I think it's great they added another benefit in obtaining the cape.

Swaggers.png

For those saying that you are forced to get a fire cape if you get this task, then you're wrong. This task can only be assigned if and only if you have a fire cape. Therefore, no one is required to do this task if they don't have a fire cape, no matter their level.

ozXHe7P.png

For those saying that you are forced to get a fire cape if you get this task, then you're wrong. This task can only be assigned if and only if you have a fire cape. Therefore, no one is required to do this task if they don't have a fire cape, no matter their level.

My problem with it is that we're forced to play a minigame in order to utilize a high slayer level. Might as well start making minigame requirements for any more slayer monsters they come out with, Mastered Ivandis Flail requirement for the next slayer monster sound good?

Neltak.png

[quote name='Neltak' date='09 February 2010 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1265774227' post='4102975'

My problem with it is that we're forced to play a minigame in order to utilize a high slayer level. Might as well start making minigame requirements for any more slayer monsters they come out with, Mastered Ivandis Flail requirement for the next slayer monster sound good?

If it meant people hitting regular 50+ hits, I'm sure they would all be fine with it.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

More requirements for higher level slayer monsters does sound good.

f203f1850c.png

That's actually not a terrible idea.

wl7w9j.png

Agreed, giving incentives to play older content is actually a good idea for requirements.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed, giving incentives to play older content is actually a good idea for requirements.

double agree seeing as i would only need like 100 more vyres lol

29bc22o.png

[hide=drops]10 black masks, 39 dragon boots, 21 whip, 9 dark bow, 7 dragon legs, 8 mauls, 3 dragon left half, 2 dragon spear, 2 hexcrest, 1 kbd heads, 10 dragon med, 2 R ammy, 2 granite legs, 1 bandos boots , 1 bandos hilt , 1 bandos chestplate, 1 saradomin sword(ls), 2 dragon claws(ls)(solo)[/hide]

[hide=Viralaether's guide to Mac use]1) take your mac

2) drop it off your roof

3) ??????

4) Profit![/hide]1/7/9 quest cape ||| 5/6/9 all diaries ||| 7/14/9 300 rank MA ||| 4998th to 99 summoning on 2/27/10

Damage Output - Beaten by Void Mace and Zuriel's Staff

Wait a minute. The void mace and Zuriel's staff both give +10% damage, correct? You seem to forget that the staff of light gives +15% damage. The staff of light does more damage in every circumstance.

You seem to forget you have to wield Zuriel's staff to cast any Miasmic spell, and you have to wield a God Staff or Void Mace to cast God Spells, the highest damaging spells in the Ancients Magicks and Standard Magic Spellbooks alike. You can no more cast Miasmic Barrage with a Staff of Light than you can AGS special with a Oak Longbow.

Agreed. Some sort of high level Vyrewatch type slayer monster that requires a maxed Ivandis Flail would be pretty cool. It's even cooler cause, like Jad, the minigame is instanced, so people can do it on their own time.

EDIT: It doesn't necessarily have to be a Vyrewatch, of course.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

To be fair, its called STAFF of light, not battlestaff of light. :P

Its not worth 300m, or 150m or 50m, its worth 11m at the time of this post.

And lastly, it has a special attack at the cost of 3 magic attack bonus and defence which make all melee damage done, do half as much damage.

Yeah sure, you can compare it to all these melee weapons etc, but its a staff, not a battlestaff, or a spear, or anything else.

Since its a staff, its supposed to be used by magers, not meleers as some way to make damage less without the cost of the meleers weapon slot.

[hide=Staff of Light vs Master Wand]

2yjr3p5.png

It has 3 less magic attack and magic defence then a master wand, but has a special attack which halves meleers attacks when maging.

If meleers, change over to range armor, you can fly at them with the melee side of the staff to slash through their d'hide while they try to hit through your special attack defence.[/hide]

[hide=Staff of Light vs Void Mace]

symtcw.png

The only thing this mace has on the staff is its prayer bonus. This prayer bonus is backed up on the staff of light by saving you runes instead of prayer points.

Not only that, but the staff of light has double the magic attack bonus and defence of the mace, aswell as the special attack I mentioned earlier.

On to another bonus, the staff has 5% more attack power then the mace.[/hide]

[hide=Staff of Light vs Zuriel's Staff]

6h1amb.png

1 bonus less then Zuriels in magic attack and defence bonus. It has a higher crush attack, but the slash of the light staff defeats that.

Zuriel's staff has no special attack, its the same speed as a godsword, has 5% less attack power and crumbles into a dust after an hour.

Kinda speaks for itself, im using the staff of light over this as long as im not using miasmic spells.[/hide]

In conclusion, its a pretty epic staff. ;)

Look at those again more carefully. If you're using a Master Wand, you want ACCURACY more than anything else. Not defense, not damage. You're looking to land your special effect, probably freeze, as soon as possible. This is one of the few PvE applications of magic - there are people who mage Zil and the like, and NEED to proc freeze.

Now look at Void Mace again. It gives you +2 prayer, loses some mage bonus, and doesn't get +5%. BUT, simply mathematics proves that Claws of Guthix with Void Mace hits higher than Fire Surge with Staff of Light. And you can not cast Claws of Guthix, or any other God Spell, with the Staff of Light. Now, where do you want damage spells PvE? The most common place today is Dagannoth Kings. At Dagannoth Kings, either you're alone, or you're facing crashers. If you're facing crashers (you're with a team), you need to outdamage the other team, and Claws of Guthix WILL beat Staff of Light, because your accuracy bonus is irrelevant there.

Which brings me to the next one. Cost. Staff of Light is inarguably cheaper than the same spell cast via Void Mace. But in places where this is the key point, and you have time on your side, there's a much better option: the Black Salamander. At less than 150 a cast and a respectable DPS rate, it's much cheaper. Besides, when solo-ing, you often face problems with spawn rates, so your boosted damage and accuracy means less anyways.

Finally, you compared it to Miasmic. Well, why WOULD you use Zuriel's if it wasn't for Miasmic? You need Zuriel's to cast Miasmic, and Miasmic is the best ancient spell. It has the same overall effect of halving DPS against you, but also affect range. For things that require high DPS, again, fighting for Rex kills or PvP, the increased damage still wins this one.

All this is theory. Here's a better way to look at it: where would Staff of Light be THE staff of choice? Bursting / Barraging Lobsters, yes. Killing Ice Strykeworms with Fire Surge, yes. Where else? Barrows is better done with Salamander. DKs is better done with Salamander / Void Mace. PKing is better done with Zuriel's. PvP minigames are better done with Zuriel's, noting that slowing their attack speed benefits your whole team, not just you. Ordinary PvE is still melee and range dominated - cheap as it may be now with Staff of Light, melee and range still do damage faster. Freezing Zil? I see a few teams doing that, and when they do that, they go the distance to get 3a Hats. I don't see them switching to Master Wand, because in the end, the extra damage means less than the extra accuracy.

Staff of Light is good and overrated.

An interesting post.

I see the Staff of Light as more of an incentive for players to mage slay than anything. At least, that's what I'll be using it for.

That's possible. Like I said, very few people kill ordinary monsters with magic right now, because melee and range are cheaper and faster. Depending on how people perceive the rune-saving bonus, and how it interacts with Hexcrest, this may change; if things like slayer are done through magic, then this staff is certainly best for that.

Let's start with some introduction before I come to my point.

My slayer level is 99.

I didn't get a dark beast task till I hit level 95. Was it bad luck? No, it was unavoidable. I didn't do the required quests to be allowed to dark beasts, which included of course a pretty difficult quest (if you don't use a guide).

Actually many slayer beasts were not part of my slayer experience. No warped terrorbirds, no mutated bloodvelds, no goraks, not even dusties etc.

However, at slayer level 95 I decided to raise my quest points from about 150 to 270. So I could do tormented demons. Ironically it turned out that I am really bad at prayer switching. I just can't master it. I managed to kill 2 tormented demons before I gave up.

I went back to slayer and noticed how my slayer experience had changed. I used to get always the same set of quite nice assignments; lots of abbysal demons and black demons. But after doing all these quests I suddenly was confronted with all these new tasks. I adapted and reached 99 slayer.

1-99 slayer took me as long as slayer came out. So, yes, a casual player can reach 99 slayer.

Now let's get to the crux of the story. Is it unfair that you need to kill Jad to do a slayer monster? I think not. And moreover, I do not have a firecape! I do have 99 slayer. I had set myself already the goal to get a firecape before the update came out. I had already close to 10 attempts at jad under my belt before the update. I failed each and every time due to faulty prayer switching at Jad. I am not only incompetent at prayer switching at tormented demons, I also am no good at Jad. It's not problem reaching Jad. It takes 4-5 prayer pots and some broad bolts. No problem here. It's Jad himself.

I tried the different techniques. For some reason I still put up wrong the wrong prayer once in a while. And to be honest, I can't pinpoint the reason. I actually think I judge the sounds right, or the animation. But apparently I do not.

I do not get upset that I can't do the new highest level strykwyrm. It could be because I only occasionally do slayer at the moment and I haven't even been assigned a strykewyrm task yet.

However, for many slayer monsters you actually HAVE to do a quest to access them. I got used to that idea quite early in my slayer experience. I never did desert treasure because I didn't feel like going to the desert to do dusties. Later the chaos tunnels came and still I couldn't access them. I actually had to do another quest for them to be assigned.

Not being able to do slayer monster is a standard. A requirement for slayer monsters is normal. The requirement is either a quest, a slayer level or a piece of equipment. Or a combination of these. The firecape is just a piece of equipment.

In my opinion there is nothing special about this requirement.

Ps.

I will continue to try to do Jad. Experience will start counting at one point, and if not, then luck will prevail eventually. Moreover, the first part of fight caves is quite relaxing. It's just ranging experience albeit not at the highest rate possible.

(btw, I did manage to do Nomad's requiem :) )

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

Excellent post zotto!

I do have a firecape from long ago ( 14 attempts, got me from 70 to 80 ranged purely by fightcaves :D ) and I know how difficult it is to recieve one. However with all the new things we have compared to then it is much easier.

Consider that diamond bolts (e) litterally eat up jad in a few shots, if you include the new sight that increases effectiveness by 15% in ranged now you should get even faster to jad if hes your slayer assignment.

I did jad just for the fact that I could beat the strongest monster of rs at that time. The firecape was just an added benefit.

firecape... must really suck for anyone with bad connection.

I'm all for high level content, but I do have to agree with this.

The biggest issue I have with this is people with dial-up. You can have the best prayer switching abilities in RS, but if you have dial-up internet, you have a pretty high chance of losing against Jad. The lag is so bad in some cases that you don't actually hear the sound of what to pray, until the attack actually hits you. I really wish Jagex had taken that in consideration when they designed the update.

Instead they should have made it so that while wielding the Firecape you hit double. This gives those who have the cape, a clear advantage. But those who cannot get the cape due to connection issues a much harder time killing, but still a way to kill them.

If jagex were to take into consideration every person on dialup, then they wouldn't have many difficult things in the game. These staffs are meant to be difficult to obtain, and the pre-requisites for getting them make it so.

People on a dialup connection shouldn't complain about not being able to kill Jad, as there are many other things they'd struggle to do. Pking properly, Corporal beast, TD's, God wars, the list goes on.

If you really want to take full advantage of Runescape, maybe it's time to upgrade to broadband.

You make it sound like a matter of choice, but that is not necessarily so. What you fail to understand is that broadband is still not available everywhere, even in the US. As of December, 5.45% of US Internet users were using dial-up. Whether by choice or lack of options is another matter. But Rural America is not wired as much as you think.

Ref: US Broadband Penetration Crawls to 94.55%

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours