08-Feb-10 - Musical Update & Strykewyrms

Toad

To be fair, its called STAFF of light, not battlestaff of light. :P

Its not worth 300m, or 150m or 50m, its worth 11m at the time of this post.

And lastly, it has a special attack at the cost of 3 magic attack bonus and defence which make all melee damage done, do half as much damage.

Yeah sure, you can compare it to all these melee weapons etc, but its a staff, not a battlestaff, or a spear, or anything else.

Since its a staff, its supposed to be used by magers, not meleers as some way to make damage less without the cost of the meleers weapon slot.

[hide=Staff of Light vs Master Wand]

2yjr3p5.png

It has 3 less magic attack and magic defence then a master wand, but has a special attack which halves meleers attacks when maging.

If meleers, change over to range armor, you can fly at them with the melee side of the staff to slash through their d'hide while they try to hit through your special attack defence.[/hide]

[hide=Staff of Light vs Void Mace]

symtcw.png

The only thing this mace has on the staff is its prayer bonus. This prayer bonus is backed up on the staff of light by saving you runes instead of prayer points.

Not only that, but the staff of light has double the magic attack bonus and defence of the mace, aswell as the special attack I mentioned earlier.

On to another bonus, the staff has 5% more attack power then the mace.[/hide]

[hide=Staff of Light vs Zuriel's Staff]

6h1amb.png

1 bonus less then Zuriels in magic attack and defence bonus. It has a higher crush attack, but the slash of the light staff defeats that.

Zuriel's staff has no special attack, its the same speed as a godsword, has 5% less attack power and crumbles into a dust after an hour.

Kinda speaks for itself, im using the staff of light over this as long as im not using miasmic spells.[/hide]

In conclusion, its a pretty epic staff. ;)

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: I don't understand all the fuzz about the staffs special, isn't it exactly the same as prot meele, only that it doesn't protect 100% against monsters...?

50% melee protection for 1 minute = tank twice as many claw / ags specs against you

= you can pray range / mage against a boss you'd normally have to pray melee against (e.g. Corp beast)

I mentioned this already. It was good in theory, until someone tested it and found that it's too slow. It would be like using a D Long against the Corp, you simply won't do enough damage to make it worthwhile.

That's disappointing but at least it isn't OP. Either way, it's still viable for just straight up tanking hits / piles.

Definitely still doesn't seem as epicly useful as everyone is making it out to be.... as a mage staff comboed with meele weapon for rangers, sure its useful. But the special... not so much.

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

This vid has been posted before, but:

Shows SoL

-- Absorbing Claw Specs

-- Holding its own against whip and GS in melee combat

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I'm glad that they're adding jungle wyrms to Kuradal's list. It might be a slight inconvenience to have one more monster to think about when slaying, but the drops and the FUN are probably worth it. I think they poison, correct? It's interesting that all three wyrms have certain abilities or conditions that you have work around, which is exactly what slayer should be like.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Wow, you guys are seriously messed up. For once, Jagex has released a great magic weapon, and what the RS comunity think?: "Now how can I use this for melee? Hmm."

facepalm_gif_by_thatweirdo7.jpg

Its melee capabilities are definitely relevant.

The greatest strength of the staff is its spec - melee protection. But this effect only occurs if you have the staff equipped for the whole 1 minute the spec is active.

If the staff is a terrible melee weapon, then you're stuck using magic only while you have the spec active. But since the staff has melee potential, it's possible to hybrid mage/melee with the staff while the spec is active. Or even just melee with it.

Oh, I see. You just wanted it to be a spec weapon so you could block D'Claws then switch to your whip.

I'm not going to complete this post because it will only result in a flame war. We'll just end up arguing opinions over the internet, and thus we will both lose.

Prism_Swords.png

Damage Output - Beaten by Void Mace and Zuriel's Staff

Wait a minute. The void mace and Zuriel's staff both give +10% damage, correct? You seem to forget that the staff of light gives +15% damage. The staff of light does more damage in every circumstance.

firecape... must really suck for anyone with bad connection.

Yea. It sucks for people who can't access a public library either. It also sucks if people can't logout between waves to rest, which would mean they would actually have to spend the 1+ hours needed to get to Jad. God help us all from the 10 minute intervals of playing. Fire cape is too difficult to obtain!@#!@#!#!@#!@#!@#

guido_49.png

Wait a minute. The void mace and Zuriel's staff both give +10% damage, correct? You seem to forget that the staff of light gives +15% damage. The staff of light does more damage in every circumstance.

Void mace allows CoG which has a base hit of 30 in stead of 28, same for miasmic barrage and zuriel (base hit of 32)

I'm all for high level content, but I do have to agree with this.

The biggest issue I have with this is people with dial-up. You can have the best prayer switching abilities in RS, but if you have dial-up internet, you have a pretty high chance of losing against Jad. The lag is so bad in some cases that you don't actually hear the sound of what to pray, until the attack actually hits you. I really wish Jagex had taken that in consideration when they designed the update.

Instead they should have made it so that while wielding the Firecape you hit double. This gives those who have the cape, a clear advantage. But those who cannot get the cape due to connection issues a much harder time killing, but still a way to kill them.

Void mace allows CoG which has a base hit of 30 in stead of 28, same for miasmic barrage and zuriel (base hit of 32)

You can cast ice barrage (base 30 damage) with the staff of light.

Staff of light: (30)(1.15)(1.21) = 41.7

Void Mace: (30)(1.1)(1.21) = 39.9

Zuriel's staff: (32)(1.1)(1.21) = 42.6

So Zuriel is the clear winner. But the cost of zuriel's staff is variable, while the staff of light is fixed. Once the staff of light's price is stabilized, the cost of use is 0, since you can resell for what you paid. When you use a zuriel's staff, you lose every coin you spend on it. Also the staff of light saves runes which further reduces its cost.

The biggest issue I have with this is people with dial-up. You can have the best prayer switching abilities in RS, but if you have dial-up internet, you have a pretty high chance of losing against Jad. The lag is so bad in some cases that you don't actually hear the sound of what to pray, until the attack actually hits you. I really wish Jagex had taken that in consideration when they designed the update.

Instead they should have made it so that while wielding the Firecape you hit double. This gives those who have the cape, a clear advantage. But those who cannot get the cape due to connection issues a much harder time killing, but still a way to kill them.

If jagex were to take into consideration every person on dialup, then they wouldn't have many difficult things in the game. These staffs are meant to be difficult to obtain, and the pre-requisites for getting them make it so.

People on a dialup connection shouldn't complain about not being able to kill Jad, as there are many other things they'd struggle to do. Pking properly, Corporal beast, TD's, God wars, the list goes on.

If you really want to take full advantage of Runescape, maybe it's time to upgrade to broadband.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

I'v eehard a lot of stupid things about this staff, so here are the facts.

What is the most damaging spell the Staff of Light can use?

Ice barrage- 30 damage

Add the 15% bonus to that and it does 34.5 damage.

Now, I have no clue what you people mean by the void mace being more pwerful with Claws of Guthix.

Claws of Guthix+ Charge= 30 damage. 30 damage+ a 10% boost is 33 damage. THAT ISN'T BETTER. I mean, it can't even freeze.

Finally, Zuriel's staff can cast a spell that hits 32. This means a maximum hit of 35.2.

That is one more damage for a weapon that doesn't save runes, and decays after use. I mean, one wouldn't consider training with Vesta's Longsword, as it decays, so Zuriel's staff is utterly out of PvM combat. (Yes I know Vesta's Sword isn't the best training weapon anyways, but that's beyond the point.)

So, Zuriel's staff is good for equipping for a spell or two, so as to activate its effect. But other than that, nothing beats the Staff of Light.

Nothing. It may have slightly lower accuracy than, say, the Master Wand, but can also hit higher, saves runes, and can protect from melee attacks.

Which would you prefer?

So, use the Staff of Light for training and PVM, and use it alongside Zuriel's for PvP.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

If jagex were to take into consideration every person on dialup, then they wouldn't have many difficult things in the game. These staffs are meant to be difficult to obtain, and the pre-requisites for getting them make it so.

People on a dialup connection shouldn't complain about not being able to kill Jad, as there are many other things they'd struggle to do. Pking properly, Corporal beast, TD's, God wars, the list goes on.

If you really want to take full advantage of Runescape, maybe it's time to upgrade to broadband.

its always easy to to tell someone there wrong when you better off then them... also why should people who cant afford a better internet be denied the right to do something? there paying for members... so they should have full access.

The fire cape requirement is the most [developmentally delayed] thing ever, its near impossible to do now because when ever i see jad stomp i pray range and i still get hit because of the stupid lag. Why not make it drain for an extra .6 seconds to stop pray flashing but why delay the activation...

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

its always easy to to tell someone there wrong when you better off then them... also why should people who cant afford a better internet be denied the right to do something? there paying for members... so they should have full access.

When it's concerned with the internet, then you never have full access. Jagex are not responsible for connection types, and they shouldn't be held back by it. If people are unable to afford to play the game at it's peak, then they should either not complain and play what they are able to, or find a new game.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

i don't see how dial up can ruin your chances of getting a firecape. i use the slowest dial up ever and i've managed it in under 2 tries at 138 combat with a cruddy ranged level. i know how it feels like to be one of those high level with everything maxed out without that cape but it shouldn't constitute the whining over the req in order to fight strykewyrms. I say the requirement is there to give a pat in the back to the ones who bothered to spend 1-2 hours playing a minigame and then risking it all to fight one of the most toughest monsters in runescape. we should see more of this. :thumbup:

^ well said.

It's not like the tip it community to complain about difficulty levels in RS. After quest realeases we're usually the first to get em done, and we welcome high lvl requirements with open arms. This is a good update, and I wouldn't mind it even if the requirements were higher still.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

I say the requirement is there to give a pat in the back to the ones who bothered to spend 1-2 hours playing a minigame and then risking it all to fight one of the most toughest monsters in runescape.

And a kick in the nuts to those who didn't.

I don't see why they had to make the firecape a requirement. There's no real reason why they should. How about a monster that requires full void, or full penance, or full gold decorative armor?

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

^ well said.

It's not like the tip it community to complain about difficulty levels in RS. After quest realeases we're usually the first to get em done, and we welcome high lvl requirements with open arms. This is a good update, and I wouldn't mind it even if the requirements were higher still.

Higher still?

93 is a pretty high requirement.

Thats the paradoxical thinking i get whenever i see people asking for high level content.

^ well said.

Higher still?

Thats the paradoxical thinking i get whenever i see people asking for high level content.

I should've rephrased. I didn't particularly mean the slayer lvl. I'm happy with 93, it gives jagex room to play with new slayer monsters. I was reffering to maybe other requirements, as it takes getting a task from Kura, only being able to kill them while on the task, needing a fire cape etc. An example would be maybe an achievement diary complete / quest complete.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Oh what, Tip'it is the last place I expected to see people whining about the fire cape requirement, I mean really, most of the time you do complain if stuff's to easy or whatever, but c'mon, I've seen really low levels with fire capes, surely someone with 93 slayer should be able to do it.

No.png

CLICK THE IMAGE TO GO TRY SHARK ATTACK DANGIT.

Oh, I see. You just wanted it to be a spec weapon so you could block D'Claws then switch to your whip.

I'm not going to complete this post because it will only result in a flame war. We'll just end up arguing opinions over the internet, and thus we will both lose.

What?

I'm just trying to present a clear case why it's useful. You don't need to take this personally.

OT: Internet requirement and computer stats are NOT jagex's responsibility. People with bad computers and bad internet should consider getting better equipment if they're going to play any computer game seriously. With the time you invest in RS, isn't it worth it to spend a little bit of money to buy better equipment for it in real life?

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

^ well said.

Higher still?

I should've rephrased. I didn't particularly mean the slayer lvl. I'm happy with 93, it gives jagex room to play with new slayer monsters. I was reffering to maybe other requirements, as it takes getting a task from Kura, only being able to kill them while on the task, needing a fire cape etc. An example would be maybe an achievement diary complete / quest complete.

I can live with that. and i'd like jagex to make more connections between thing but i always thought of the firecape as a plus.

In my opinion its degrading to the firecape and slightly a turn off to people with bad connection.

What ever happened to the firecape being something to show off your skills... and not a stepping stone for something bigger.