12-Apr-2010 - Dungeoneering Skill!

12pure34

Has anyone else notices that the combat triangle seems highly inforced in this new skill? I'm still only lvl 15, but it seems like everytime I fight magers with range, and rangers with melee, and melee with magic the battles.... go better.

They did make the NPC's moderately based on the combat triangle, or at least more-so than the way rs-world NPC's are. This isn't to say you *have* to follow the combat triangle in every instance though. It just makes it much easier. Like always, melee can be pumped up the majority of the time to take on most combat challenges effectively.

Yes, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes you can come up against a Forgotton Warrior with full Gorgonite or above, and it's downright impossible unless you make some runes and mage. Luckily, this isn't too difficult if you've already made a Fire Staff for alching. NPC mages always fail because of protect from magic stops their binds, which I believe is a flaw in the game.

I've found that attack styles are very important as well. On some things you simply can't use slash.

Also, I'd like to see some of the Barbarian skills put in Dungeoneering, since this seems perfect for it. Having a bow at hand is far more useful than a tinderbox, so why not let us light fires with it?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else notices that the combat triangle seems highly inforced in this new skill? I'm still only lvl 15, but it seems like everytime I fight magers with range, and rangers with melee, and melee with magic the battles.... go better.

They did make the NPC's moderately based on the combat triangle, or at least more-so than the way rs-world NPC's are. This isn't to say you *have* to follow the combat triangle in every instance though. It just makes it much easier. Like always, melee can be pumped up the majority of the time to take on most combat challenges effectively.

Yes, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes you can come up against a Forgotton Warrior with full Gorgonite or above, and it's downright impossible unless you make some runes and mage. Luckily, this isn't too difficult if you've already made a Fire Staff for alching. NPC mages always fail because of protect from magic stops their binds, which I believe is a flaw in the game.

I've found that attack styles are very important as well. On some things you simply can't use slash.

This is quite true. I'm F2P and use a spear (in F2P!) as my primary weapon. There're monsters that are so high in stab defence that I keep seeing zeroes when I use the stab stance, even though spears have the highest stab bonus. From my personal experince in the first few levels it seems that the ice elementals and zombies are weak to slash, armour-like monsters and zombies are weak to crush, rangers and the little dinosaurs are weak to stab....

And I still can't get over the fact that we get TOKENS to trade for rewards, instead of just getting rewards off monster loot and chest. As the 'endgame' skill it's great, but the rewards system is pretty screwed up.

Last night I finally get to see a change in the dungeon settings from the ice theme to the moss-coloured theme. On the second moss-theme level, the boss was the skeleton horde. I rushed straight at them with my fractite spear, killing over 20+ of them and thinking that it's a survive-the-incoming-wave kind of fight, until I found that there's this 'block tunnel' option on the wall.... :wall:

After blocking one, and low on food, I proceeded to block the next one but took 240 damage instead. I didn't know that I had to wait for the cue from the skinweaver to block a tunnel, nor did I realise that she's there to heal me when I'm standing within the rectagular zone. Needless to say, I was screaming (in my head) "THIS IS SPARTA!!!!" after being surrounded by 20+ skeletons and seeing my avatar's dying animation. <3:

First death soloing in the skill, and it felt great. :rolleyes:

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I don't quite understand how prestige works. Its supposed to be the cool way out in getting the fastest exp in dungeonerring. I tried resetting my progress to 0 and when I completed my latest floors, i still had a low average exp rate.... :wall:

I don't quite understand how prestige works. Its supposed to be the cool way out in getting the fastest exp in dungeonerring. I tried resetting my progress to 0 and when I completed my latest floors, i still had a low average exp rate.... :wall:

basically, you need to do all the floors you can, then reset and do them all again to get the most exp. If you do a room twice without resetting you won't be getting the prestige exp., which will dramatically lower your average xp.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

I've seen really difficult bosses, lately. This frozen ZGW guy, whose spec I was not able to evade, and a bulwark beast, which had an armor that we needed to get through before being able to hit it.

Is there something I was doing wrong with them or are they just harder? (Especially the one with the shield, I died maybe 4 times to it due to scarce food)

^ Pickaxe for second. Brakes armour then you can attack normally. I found it weak after that personally. Otherwise its just harder due to more people.

I think the first time I did that one I died because I was trying to get the falling rocks to hit him. (It seemed to be doing him damage.) However I was failing quite bad and eventually died after alot of effort.

Second time I tried to figure out a new method.. Pickaxe.. Had no food second time, just prayer, and about 200 lp before I figured it out. Killed the git swiftly once I broke that armour.

going to do some real tests tomorrow to see which size dungeon makes more sense at what floors.

dungeonxpmed.png

want to see if going small for floors 1-20 then med 21-33 makes sense.

4e0Vn.png

One thing I am sorely missing in this "skill" is a crossbow. It's quite odd that one is offered as a reward, but if you want to dung with one you are S.O.L.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I didn't know that I had to wait for the cue from the skinweaver to block a tunnel

You don't... kill 3, block a tunnel, repeat. That's actually the easiest "boss scenario" I've encountered so far.

PS A good indication of how unpopular this "skill" is can be found by monitoring one's rank in the hiscores. I can play for an hour, then log off for 10 or 15, and I'm higher in the ranks than when I last refreshed the hiscores list. A lot of people are just giving up on this after getting to a certain level.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

PS A good indication of how unpopular this "skill" is can be found by monitoring one's rank in the hiscores. I can play for an hour, then log off for 10 or 15, and I'm higher in the ranks than when I last refreshed the hiscores list. A lot of people are just giving up on this after getting to a certain level.

The high scores are FUBAR right now. For the past 12 hours, it's been underreporting mine.

Called the page up in multiple browsers, and it has my total level at 2298 when it's been 2299 in game since yesterday (34 Dung).

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

going to do some real tests tomorrow to see which size dungeon makes more sense at what floors.

dungeonxpmed.png

is there a way to select your dungeon size? so far every one i've done has been small. Is it because I'm soloing?

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

I think I know what Bilrach was searching for...the Stone of Jas of course. The Dragonkin guard it, and if it is known as the "ender of the god wars" that explains how guthix had enough power to quell the rage of the many gods and adds a new dimension to runescape theology. If guthix used the SoJ to end the god wars as implied then we must assume that with the loss of the Stone he IS NO LONGER CAPABLE OF ENFORCING THE EDICTS and that my friends, is a very, very, very scary thought.

Dark_Avorian.png

dungeonxpmed.png

is there a way to select your dungeon size? so far every one i've done has been small. Is it because I'm soloing?

Yes it's because you're soloing, you can do medium duo/trio, and (I'm guessing, never done a group above trio) can do large with 4+

My Blog

2 Visage Drops.

Over 1800 Castle Wars Tickets..

110715145129.png

Errr.png

Strange, I can bet my head that I've done few large dungeons o.O

Off with your head then.

I think the possibilties are, either you are numb from opening so many rooms that a small-sized dungeon looks large to you, or someone quits the party halfway through the trip but you still get to access large dungeons. Is the latter possible anyway? :unsure:

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Capped F2P experience for only high-levels, if Jagex wishes to cap exp they should do it to ALL F2P, not just the high-levels.

Capped f2p experience: lower level f2pers are already capped by their inability to kill things quickly. Though I agree, increasing p2p exp was the way to go.

We gained our levels so that we could kill things faster and get exp faster, and it took quite a bit of time. Penalizing our exp from being able to do what we have levels for in the first place, is ridiculous. Plus, I highly doubt that our increased killing speed really makes us finish dungeons at least twice as fast as people with under 90 combat.

Either reduce exp on non-member servers as whole, or increase members exp.

greenmelf.png