12-Apr-2010 - Dungeoneering Skill!

12pure34

The developers went to such great lengths to separate everything from the main game - completely new items are created that cannot leave the dungeon, nor can old items be taken in. It's like Runescape in a petri dish. The only thing you can take out is your XP in the real skills...

...And 20 brand new items that are usable in the rest of runescape.

... at a recurring cost. It's like rent-to-own, except you are never owning and always renting.

First of all, only 5 of the 20 rewards degrade. (I am grouping the weapons together like they do on the KB. In reality there are 28 rewards you can buy and 13 of them degrade)

Second of all, so you don't like degrading objects? What about barrows, do we "rent" barrows armor? Do you not like barrows, arguably one of the most important and sucessful updates in the past 5 years?

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The developers went to such great lengths to separate everything from the main game - completely new items are created that cannot leave the dungeon, nor can old items be taken in. It's like Runescape in a petri dish. The only thing you can take out is your XP in the real skills...

...And 20 brand new items that are usable in the rest of runescape.

... at a recurring cost. It's like rent-to-own, except you are never owning and always renting.

I have to agree that all the degradable rather than permenant rewards lately are REALLY annoying.

But not all of the rewards are like that, the arcane stream necklace and tome of frost for example, which are both extremely useful mage items.

Second of all, so you don't like degrading objects? What about barrows, do we "rent" barrows armor? Do you not like barrows, arguably one of the most important and sucessful updates in the past 5 years?

I have never owned a barrows item (outside of merching them). I have never worn or utilized any barrows item. My concession to the rent-to-never-own mentality was a few crystal bows back in the day. But I dispensed with them quite a while ago.

I would also smugly note that neither of these degrading items are the pinnacle rewards of a "skill." ;)

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I have never owned a barrows item (outside of merching them). I have never worn or utilized any barrows item. My concession to the rent-to-never-own mentality was a few crystal bows back in the day. But I dispensed with them quite a while ago.

Ah. I think we've come to a conclusion then that your hate towards the skill, and other things apparently, is just based on irrationality and stubornness.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Your loss. I could see never getting one of the new swords and shields because of how damned expensive they are (2m for 10h, REALLY?) but barrows is dirt cheap, especially if you have a high smithing level. All of the new items I have minded because of how arbitrarily expensive they have been, but barrows was the one I think they got right.

Whats the cost per crim barraging 94 mage with wolpers SOL + Ahrims + Frost Tome + Arcane Necklace

Fire Surge on a strykewyrm with a hexcrest and above?

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

Ah. I think we've come to a conclusion then that your hate towards the skill, and other things apparently, is just based on irrationality and stubornness.

I somewhat enjoy the diversion, even if Jagex got the taxonomy wrong. And I am optimistic that 2.0 will be better. But I'm not going to be renting any items.

My main motivation is for the bump to my total level.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I haven't played much runescape the past few months but after seeing that the new skill came out I bought a months membership and logged on once again.

Dungeoneering, I think, is absolutely different than most previous skills in the gameplay of it and many other characteristics.

As a RSC player who started playing during the early days of the game (sometime in 2004, can't quite remember) it feels pretty strange and a little foreign.

But I really like Dungeoneering's gameplay, and have been enjoying myself immensely. That small, stubborn, nostalgic part of me still tugs at me here and there,

but everything new always feels a little akward and strange at first and its naive to think that a game this large will stick with the same formula year after year.

Also I remember the release of some of the other skills being very similar to this in that there are many kinks to smooth out and things to adjust after the skill's initial release.

And unless the tokens really start piling up during higher levels, I do hope they change the price of the rewards....So many great high level combat items but they seem terrifyingly far in the distance.

I say kudos to Jagex for introducing something new, I think they must be excited to have a whole new realm of possibilities to think about.

After the shouts and howls from those who seem to fight the very idea of Dungeoneering as a skill calm down, I think this will go down as a memorable update that was

a big step in the evolution of Runescape.

a

e d

R B oo k.

T e

h

Is it a rumour or a fact that prestige stops raising at lvl 69 dungeoneering? Anyone know if this is true or not?

AFAIK the last floor for now is 35 (in other words at level 69). There is no way to increase prestige above 35 without a 36th room ...

Question about resetting prestige for the experts out there,

Hypothetically, say I complete floors 1 through 35. I reset. My current progress is now 0, my previous progress is now 35.

I complete floors 15, 16, and 17. My current progress is now 3, my previous progress is still 35.

If I were to press reset again, what would be my previous progress? I originally thought it would remain 35, allowing me to run the floor of my choice over and over with impunity, but my friend says it would set my previous progress to 3. I've read over the knowledge base again... and it's very ambiguous. You could read it both ways.

Your friend is right: thus always make sure you do ALL rooms (or at least most) before you reset!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Your friend is right: thus always make sure you do ALL rooms (or at least most) before you reset!

Are you sure? As in, have you actually tested this before?

Let me quote the portion of the KB that made me think otherwise.

The 'Reset' button, once pressed on your ring of kinship interface, will do two things: firstly, it will reset your progress in each dungeon, meaning that you will have raided 0 different dungeon floors; secondly, it will set your prestige total to a fixed total. This fixed total is equal to the number of different floors you raided before you pressed the 'Reset' button. Once again, if you raided floors 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 before pressing the 'Reset' button, you will have a fixed prestige total of 5 after pressing the button.

Note that it states "set your prestige total to a fixed total," rather than "current progress."

If I raid floors 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, reset, then raid 5, 6, and 7, then I've raided 7 different floors before I pressed the reset button this time, have I not?

This is true.

But I would change one thing. ALWAYS do EVERY room you can before you reset. If you reset at 30 out of 35, you are gonna be doing another 30 floors with only 30 prestige instead of 35 prestige. It is a HUGE difference if you dont get all your prestige saves in.

Myweponsgood.gif

If I raid floors 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, reset, then raid 5, 6, and 7, then I've raided 7 different floors before I pressed the reset button this time, have I not?

No. 5, 6, and 7 are 3 different numbers, not 7...Youd have a progress of 3

Myweponsgood.gif

Except I finished 1, 2, 3, and 4 before I pressed the button too?

It doesn't matter, I just tested it and this is indeed correct. I still think Jagex's writing is ambiguous - just because it was before the last time I pressed the reset button doesn't mean it wasn't before this time, in fact, it most definitely is before the second time the reset button was pressed, but it's all water under the bridge I suppose.

Except I finished 1, 2, 3, and 4 before I pressed the button too?

It doesn't matter, I just tested it and this is indeed correct. I still think Jagex's writing is ambiguous - just because it was before the last time I pressed the reset button doesn't mean it wasn't before this time, in fact, it most definitely is before the second time the reset button was pressed, but it's all water under the bridge I suppose.

when you press reset, you clear all your progress and save the number of floors you've done since your last reset. So when you do 1 to 4 and reset you get a prestige of 4, since youve done 4 floors, when you do 5 to 7 after this and reset *again* youd only have done 3 floors which makes your prestige go down to 3.

In other words: you have to do *all* the floors you can do before you reset. if you fail to do so (eg reset at a lower number of floors) you will get less exp than you could have. And theres no way back after you reset.

Lord_Beloved.png

This is true.

But I would change one thing. ALWAYS do EVERY room you can before you reset. If you reset at 30 out of 35, you are gonna be doing another 30 floors with only 30 prestige instead of 35 prestige. It is a HUGE difference if you dont get all your prestige saves in.

Yeah you are right, just calculated this myself:

When doing all rooms the prestige-xp is "M".. Yet the level xp scales up (lineary I believe) from 1 - M.. So on average you earn (0.5 * M + M) / 2 = 0.75*M xp / game.. (M being the base / prestige experience you can earn at the highest room)

Now lets say we do only from a certain level "x" - which earns S xp.. Since we assumed xp & prestige scaled linear with the level, your prestige would stay at (M - S), also the base experience would average out at: 0.5 * (M - S).

So on average each game would thus earn: ( 0.5 * (M - S) + (M - S) ) / 2 = 0.75 *M - 0.75 * S xp

And thus as we can see, calculation 2 can never be bigger than calculation 1. (Since S is always positive).

Now the experience might not scale linear with the floor your on, this would make the calculation slightly more difficult (too difficult to show without better forum software). - However it can be proven that in any case where the growth in experience is constant or higher, it is better to do all rooms before resetting. (Thus keeping prestige maximized)

When the growth is smaller than constant (so the difference in experience between F34 & F35 is smaller than F1 & F2) the calculation should be made again (once we know the actual formula).

Then they came for me

You have rewards. You are now able to do higher floors. Higher floors get you better exp and better exp means faster progress towards items that you can obtain and use.

Higher level floors are not rewards! There is nothing to show outside of this minigame! I'm at level 40 now and have nothing to show outside in RS for it. I've passed a few level-up screens telling me I can now use so-and-so an item, however I won't get the reward tokens for another 34 levels for the Bonecrusher that I want.

This "skill" is nothing short of Stealing Creation with monsters.

asrhasrh.jpg

Anyone know why this is happening?

I have 37 Dg, which should get me up to floor 19... but neither 18 or 19 shows up for me to complete...

why.png

(840th To 99 Farm. Achieved on February 13th, 2008.) (2942th To 99 Crafting. Achieved on September 9th, 2008.)

(23671th To 99 Magic. Achieved on January 17th, 2009.) (46913th to 99 Hit Points. Achieved on March 20th, 2009.)

(30680th to 99 Range. Achieved on March 21st, 2009.) (66351th to 99 Attack. Achieved on July 8th, 2009.)

(2856th to 99 Herblore. Achieved on August 21st, 2009.) (45985th to 99 Woodcutting. Achieved on November 15th, 2009.)

(6119th to 99 Smithing. Achieved on December 24th, 2009.) (98100th to 99 Cooking. Achieved on January 1st, 2010.)

(63214th to 99 Defence. Achieved on January 30th, 2010.) (122697th to 99 Strength. Achieved on February 11th, 2010.)

(15249th to 99 Prayer. Achieved on March 21st, 2010.) (34209th to 99 Fishing. Achieved on July 7th, 2010.)

(9259th to 99 Summoning. Achieved on July 29th, 2010.) (51712th to 99 Firemaking. Achieved on September 6th, 2010.)

(109036th to 99 Fletching. Achieved on September 28th, 2010.) (15821th to 99 Slayer. Achieved on February 3rd, 2011.)

(11652th to 99 Construction. Achieved on June 18th, 2011.)

I have 37 Dg, which should get me up to floor 19... but neither 18 or 19 shows up for me to complete...

why.png

You've got to finish floor 17 before you can access floor 18..

(and yes this makes at low levels almost no sense: you'll get much faster levels than you can compete floors)

For this skill, your skill level should just be ignored completely!

Then they came for me

why.png

(and yes this makes at low levels almost no sense: you'll get much faster levels than you can compete floors)

If you look closely you can see I have already completed floor 17

(840th To 99 Farm. Achieved on February 13th, 2008.) (2942th To 99 Crafting. Achieved on September 9th, 2008.)

(23671th To 99 Magic. Achieved on January 17th, 2009.) (46913th to 99 Hit Points. Achieved on March 20th, 2009.)

(30680th to 99 Range. Achieved on March 21st, 2009.) (66351th to 99 Attack. Achieved on July 8th, 2009.)

(2856th to 99 Herblore. Achieved on August 21st, 2009.) (45985th to 99 Woodcutting. Achieved on November 15th, 2009.)

(6119th to 99 Smithing. Achieved on December 24th, 2009.) (98100th to 99 Cooking. Achieved on January 1st, 2010.)

(63214th to 99 Defence. Achieved on January 30th, 2010.) (122697th to 99 Strength. Achieved on February 11th, 2010.)

(15249th to 99 Prayer. Achieved on March 21st, 2010.) (34209th to 99 Fishing. Achieved on July 7th, 2010.)

(9259th to 99 Summoning. Achieved on July 29th, 2010.) (51712th to 99 Firemaking. Achieved on September 6th, 2010.)

(109036th to 99 Fletching. Achieved on September 28th, 2010.) (15821th to 99 Slayer. Achieved on February 3rd, 2011.)

(11652th to 99 Construction. Achieved on June 18th, 2011.)

why.png

It's probably a bug but I'd try to finish the unfinished floors to see if that caused it.

why.png

It's probably a bug but I'd try to finish the unfinished floors to see if that caused it.

did you finish 17 when you had lvl 37+ dungeoneering?

or did you finish it earlier than get 37+ dungeoneering afterwards

Naaxi.png