Chaotic Rapier vs Longsword

Lep

Losing a shield isn't such a big deal if you have a team.

Plus, we're talking about bosses yes? Not content in general.

Losing a shield isn't such a big deal if you have a team.

Plus, we're talking about bosses yes? Not content in general.

Right bosses, one handed weapon is more versatile, that's just the logic behind it. To each his own though, I'm just putting it out their in a logical way and my personal reasoning for getting a cls.

Crusading.png

I've yet to hear a single person in favor of the CLS, that can offer accurate, non-qualitative arguments in favor of the CLS. at least in regards to players with roughly max total melee.

Honestly, anybody that still isn't convinced that the rapier is better yet, probably isn't worth convincing.

Naaxi.png

Untill I see a video beating 200 solo kc at bandos, I'll assume CLS is better at bandos.

For almost everything else, I'd go with the rapier. (only exceptions I can think of are Saradomin and Corp

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

They are both great weapons, but if I had to choose, I would choose the longsword. Not because I think it's better, hell even if the rapier is better, I would still go for the long.

Why? Because the cls looks soooo much better. I'd rather have a great looking weapon that is good, than a puny toothpick that is better.

They are both great weapons, but if I had to choose, I would choose the longsword. Not because I think it's better, hell even if the rapier is better, I would still go for the long.

Why? Because the cls looks soooo much better. I'd rather have a great looking weapon that is good, than a puny toothpick that is better.

I just don't understand why you would consciously choose the lesser weapon of the two based on looks. You're training combat, not entering a pageant.

I just don't get people.

clansig7.gif

I just don't understand why you would consciously choose the lesser weapon of the two based on looks. You're training combat, not entering a pageant.

I just don't get people.

Because ultimately, we are all playing for enjoyment, and everyone finds that enjoyment through different means. Some people like to do everything the most efficient way possible, while others prefer to do whatever makes them comfortable.

I just don't get people.

Some people would rather be happy and enjoy the game using the weapon they like at the cost of efficiency. It's not hard to understand.

Myself, I just got a CLS knowing a Rapier is better. I'm almost maxed out melee combat (99 constitution, attack, strength, 92 defense with turmoil). Why did I choose it? Because I told myself I would only play for fun, and part of playing for fun is doing what you want to do instead of what's best for the XP/GP/whatever rates. I like hitting higher, but slower, using a sword instead of hitting lower but faster using a stick. Just that.

16185_s.gif

Errm, if you like hitting higher and slower, why not get a maul then? cls barely hits higher than the rapier(around 40 more) and isn't alot slower, so i really don't see those being reasons you bought a cls. As for looks, the only people i've seen bash the rapier are cls owners, and realistically, cls is not a beautiful sword while rapier isn't too bad looking, and looking different is actually what i love about it. Looks are very subjective, and saying that was a significant reason in the decision is quite childish. As for having fun, i don't like seeing paint dry, and fast progress is what i value in the fun department. If being inefficient is what humors you why not use a bronze dagger? There are a load more weapons that result in more fun, the maul being one of them. It just seems people are justifying their poor decision-making and inefficient research before buying one of these weapons.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Errm, if you like hitting higher and slower, why not get a maul then? cls barely hits higher than the rapier(around 40 more) and isn't alot slower, so i really don't see those being reasons you bought a cls. As for looks, the only people i've seen bash the rapier are cls owners, and realistically, cls is not a beautiful sword while rapier isn't too bad looking, and looking different is actually what i love about it. Looks are very subjective, and saying that was a significant reason in the decision is quite childish. As for having fun, i don't like seeing paint dry, and fast progress is what i value in the fun department. If being inefficient is what humors you why not use a bronze dagger? There are a load more weapons that result in more fun, the maul being one of them. It just seems people are justifying their poor decision-making and inefficient research before buying one of these weapons.

I really don't get your post, you say it's realistic to say that cls is not beautiful, yet you continue to say that looks are subjective..

Also talking about the fun of the maul, that is subjective as well. I personally hate the slow speed of the maul. Plus, I don't get why people keep mentioning the maul, this thread is about the longsword and the rapier. Also, the fact that you can't use a shield with the maul makes it useless to mention it, since you can't really compare a 2handed and a 1handed weapon.

Anyhow, I play this game for fun, I don't care about researching the crap out of a game, to get that 20 minutes benefit in the long run.

Also, you can't say that the cls isn't a good weapon, it has quite high stats and a decent speed. Granted, the rapier might be better, but I do care about looks. And that's why I chose the longsword.

Just imagine a world where people only care about efficiency and don't care about looks. What would the world look like?

Final note,

I don't get the people bashing on other people for chosing either of the two, is this just some sort of jealousy or regret? This thread is made to decide which one is better at certain activities, not who is more pro/noob because he/she chose one of the two (or three).

I really don't get your post, you say it's realistic to say that cls is not beautiful, yet you continue to say that looks are subjective..

Also talking about the fun of the maul, that is subjective as well. I personally hate the slow speed of the maul. Plus, I don't get why people keep mentioning the maul, this thread is about the longsword and the rapier. Also, the fact that you can't use a shield with the maul makes it useless to mention it, since you can't really compare a 2handed and a 1handed weapon.

Anyhow, I play this game for fun, I don't care about researching the crap out of a game, to get that 20 minutes benefit in the long run.

Also, you can't say that the cls isn't a good weapon, it has quite high stats and a decent speed. Granted, the rapier might be better, but I do care about looks. And that's why I chose the longsword.

Just imagine a world where people only care about efficiency and don't care about looks. What would the world look like?

Final note,

I don't get the people bashing on other people for chosing either of the two, is this just some sort of jealousy or regret? This thread is made to decide which one is better at certain activities, not who is more pro/noob because he/she chose one of the two (or three).

Try 20 hours,instead of 20 minutes. Let me guess, you slay with DFS?

And ye, I tend to bash idiots. "AMG noob oFC slaying gargs with CLS is better then wip"

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

beautiful.

when people do research on efficiency, they generally spend like an hour to save 20 minutes for themselves.

but most RS gamers are too selfish to realize that this also saves 20 minutes for everybody else that is into efficiency.

the researcher effectively spent 40 minutes of his time for the greater good.

then he goes on forums and posts his research and he gets crap from idiots who talk about "playing for fun" and "aesthetics" or what not.

with absolutely no regard that the researcher was just trying to help.

caring about how a CLS looks is just shallow and selfish.

If the world researched more about efficiency, it would be a kinder more charitable place.

Naaxi.png

beautiful.

when people do research on efficiency, they generally spend like an hour to save 20 minutes for themselves.

but most RS gamers are too selfish to realize that this also saves 20 minutes for everybody else that is into efficiency.

then he goes on forums and posts his research and he gets crap from idiots who talk about "playing for fun" and "aesthetics" or what not.

If the world researched more about efficiency, it would be a kinder more charitable place.

Don't forget that utility - the ultimate point of increasing efficiency - is completely up to personal preference. :grin:

Don't get me wrong - I agree with you. But we can't speak for everyone

OT: In the long run (scale of 2-3 years), CLS may be better than the maul because of the dragon defender, and potentially better shields.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

beautiful.

Don't forget that utility - the ultimate point of increasing efficiency - is completely up to personal preference. :grin:

OT: In the long run (scale of 2-3 years), CLS may be better than the maul because of the dragon defender, and potentially better shields.

All shields have less stab defense than slash. :)

beautiful.

And your point is.....? He's talking about new shields released that have abilities that would make them worthwhile to use along with a cls, compared just to a maul.

Crusading.png

Okay, as someone who is getting close to Chaotic time, I have these questions:

It appears that the Rapier is slowly winning the tip-iter argument?

How many tokens does it take to recharge, and is it just more efficient to pay the 1m gp straight up?

What is best Chaotic overall for a variety of bosses (mainly DKs and TDs)?

beautiful.

And your point is.....? He's talking about new shields released that have abilities that would make them worthwhile to use along with a cls, compared just to a maul.

His point is that even then, chaotic rapier would stand out over chaotic longsword, despite that chaotic longsword might outshine chaotic maul. He's got a point though, but i would think with new, better gear, it would come with better bonuses, making the high accuracy bonuses of chaotic long even more useful. Of course, against PvM...that's a different story. And good moneymaking bosses do change over time (switch to new bosses). But with so much guesswork about the future, it's really not the best idea to base your purchase on what the future might be, and focus on the present.

Capt_Davy.png AbandonnedHeroKeyer25.png

How many tokens does it take to recharge, and is it just more efficient to pay the 1m gp straight up?

Seeing as you have maxed melee stats, chaotic rapier is the best choice for you. If you can switch your weapons quickly at tormented demons, then rapier shines (after all, it only maxes at about 50 lower than the longsword, which comes out to be around 25 lower hit per average hit, which is hardly anything, and its quite speedy). And although i've never been to DKs, from what i've seen and heard, DK's have quite low melee defence, and with maxed melee stats and good potions etc, you can rip them apart. So I would think rapier's speed would make it the best there too.

and to answer your other question, it takes (dont quote me on this, im not sure) I think 200k tokens and 100k gp to recharge completely? But otherwise, you can opt out for other varying amounts, down to 2m flat in gp for a complete recharge. Seeing as money's not much of an issue if you're going bosshunting with rapier, it would probably be easier, and more efficient, for you to just pay the pure gp cost for recharging.

Seeing as you have maxed melee stats, chaotic rapier is the best choice for you. If you can switch your weapons quickly at tormented demons, then rapier shines (after all, it only maxes at about 50 lower than the longsword, which comes out to be around 25 lower hit per average hit, which is hardly anything, and its quite speedy). And although i've never been to DKs, from what i've seen and heard, DK's have quite low melee defence, and with maxed melee stats and good potions etc, you can rip them apart. So I would think rapier's speed would make it the best there too.

and to answer your other question, it takes (dont quote me on this, im not sure) I think 200k tokens and 100k gp to recharge completely? But otherwise, you can opt out for other varying amounts, down to 2m flat in gp for a complete recharge. Seeing as money's not much of an issue if you're going bosshunting with rapier, it would probably be easier, and more efficient, for you to just pay the pure gp cost for recharging.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

So the rapier is conclusively the best weapon for slayer/training whatever, and anything else with low def. TDs could probably go either way, GWD I assume you'd want CLS. And is the maul the best for pvp?

So the rapier is conclusively the best weapon for slayer/training whatever, and anything else with low def. TDs could probably go either way, GWD I assume you'd want CLS. And is the maul the best for pvp?

Rapier and maul are about even for PvP. The rapier is better for the "eat and spec" fighters, but the maul has the potential to be more effective if you are clever and risk more. The maul is absolutely devastating if you utlilize the "quick switch" bug by switching from a MSB to the maul and back (which also helps negate your opponent's Vengeance, which is a big problem when you hit as high as you do with the maul) and/or if you use a granite maul to spec after hitting a 600+.

td2sig.jpg

Rapier and maul are about even for PvP. The rapier is better for the "eat and spec" fighters, but the maul has the potential to be more effective if you are clever and risk more. The maul is absolutely devastating if you utlilize the "quick switch" bug by switching from a MSB to the maul and back (which also helps negate your opponent's Vengeance, which is a big problem when you hit as high as you do with the maul) and/or if you use a granite maul to spec after hitting a 600+.

Well my interest is PKing with as little risk as possible, L. So with cls/rapier + defender would you recommend a dds or are you just as well off w/o a spec weapon? And how do cls, rapier, and ags compare? I bought an ags during the crash but my friends said that it was considerably worse than a chaotic weapon so I just resold once it turned around. Was that the right thing to do?

Granite mace with rapier is pro.

If you even manage to hit with granite mace lol, that thing misses a rediculous amount. Lateswitching with granite maul and chaotic maul is pro. Same for handcannon + maul. Gotta say though, rapier's good for many, quick combos, because it won't slow down your next hit. Tricky thing is, if you're fighting someone who's a bit more skilled at combo'ing than you....rapier fails horribly then. Then again, you'd probably die anyways in that situation, meh.

There are several problems with any argument about these two pieces of weaponry. First of far too many people are trying to compare the aspects of two entirely different things such as the taste of a banana to the taste of an apple. The two just don't compare. Now both sides can go back and forth saying "oh this is better" or "nah this ones better" in the end your just running around in circles reading a pointless argument. The second problem is that this argument is far too one sided, most of those who have posted here are the proud owners of a Chaotic Rapier and there are a few who are the proud owners of a Chaotic Longsword, but none as far as I have seen have responded that have acquired both pieces of weaponry.

One side cannot say that the other is worse and theirs is better simply because they have not used both. Let me explain, most people I know that own a Chaotic Rapier participate in Player Killing and Slayer with the occasional Bosses, and are not maxed players, thus they prefer speedy hits over a hard hitting weapon. The same can be said the other way around, most people I know that own a Chaotic Longsword are hardcore boss killers and are already maxed so they are accustomed to waiting another half a second for a higher hit. Again comparing the tastes of bananas to the taste of apples, you can't compare them easily unless you own both.

Third of all, the GWD boss side of this argument is again one sided, remember that there are FOUR bosses contained within the walls of their frozen confinement not ONE. Three of these bosses can be meleed while the fourth is just out of reach of all melee weapons. Most people tend to solo Graardor simply because he is the easiest and least dangerous of all the bosses, but when comparing items of use one has to remember that there is more than one use for a weapon. Most people say Chaotic rapier against Graardor, however that does not answer for ALL of the other Bosses within Runescape. In my opinion both weapons are pretty even when it comes to Slaying the giant Graardor, I have seen many videos and even tested both weapons myself and I find them equally balanced, however as I stated before Graardor is not the only boss on Runescape.

Tormented demons, Kril, and Zil are all examples of majorly killed bosses in Runescape, mostly because of their drops of high value. In my experience I have seen Chaotic Longsword used more often at Tormented Demons and Zil, simply because that is were high hits from slash are required. Zil is weak to slash attacks which is why The Godswords are the most useful weapon there, and at Tormented demons you only have to deal 300-310 Damage before the Demon changes its prayer and with or without void it is very common for a higher level player to easily deal the 300-310 damage within the first attack after switching weapons so the Chaotic Longsword takes the bone there but that doesn't necessarily mean that the Rapier cannot be used at either, it merely states that the Longsword is preferred there because of its slash and high hit capabilities.

Last but not least I say that there are just far too many unaccounted variables between one player and another for either of these weapons to reign supreme. Overloads, Curses, Armor Bonus's and Skill levels and other random variables hidden within the various coding of Runescape itself.

So in the end I hope that you all have learned that comparing the taste of Bananas to the taste of Apples cannot happen, in the end it all comes down to preference and what one player wants to do over another, the choice is the players own in the end. I believe that neither of these weapons reign supreme over the other but mere have strengths over the other's and balance each other out instead of there being one supreme weapon.

Personally I tent to do more bosses and stay away from Player Killing and I am already maxed and am the very proud owner of a Slayer cape having reach the level of 99 in slayer, so I have no need for a fast hitting weapon for occupations such as slaying man and creature alike. So the Chaotic Longsword would be the best bet for me would it not? Truthfully I only got Rapier because I love the slayer skill and do train it here and there regardless of my 99 status and I have to say I do prefer it over any other while slaying. I have used both of them and honestly I hardly notice a difference really, a kill is a kill to me and thats the end of it.