Why are you "old school"

CharlieBrown

In this day in age, many people frown upon the use of certain ways to train skills. These can be seen as ivy, zmi rune crafting, and the numerous "x" options. The list does continue, however, at the time of writing this it's 2 am and i simply cannot be bothered to name them all :) .

However, back to my original question, are you an old school player who refuses to use these new ways to train, do you frown on them and give the skill less respect if someone has used this way?

Or are you quite the contary, and thank jagex for less click intensive skills and use and abuse them for all you can.

I personally am somewhat in the middle, i won't say no to free, easy xp, however i do dislike ivy training.

Also, what are you thoughts on "diy'ing"

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this day in age, many people frown upon the use of certain ways to train skills. These can be seen as ivy, zmi rune crafting, and the numerous "x" options. The list does continue, however, at the time of writing this it's 2 am and i simply cannot be bothered to name them all :) .

However, back to my original question, are you an old school player who refuses to use these new ways to train, do you frown on them and give the skill less respect if someone has used this way?

Or are you quite the contary, and thank jagex for less click intensive skills and use and abuse them for all you can.

I personally am somewhat in the middle, i won't say no to free, easy xp, however i do dislike ivy training.

Also, what are you thoughts on "diy'ing"

I thnk dat 99 slyer is 2 ez dese days and ne one whoo didn't do eit wiv a bronze warhammer is a narb.

dungensweapers.png

JOIN CHICKENSWEEPERS TODAY! FUN, FREE, AND IT WON'T MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE JUST BEEN ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!

I've been around since 2004, so I've seen and been through all the big changed to skills so far. As much as the game training is incredibly different now, i wouldn't change it. I use what is given to me, I use the Ivy whenever i woodcut 'cos its faster and i have other means of bringing in money, and to a lot of people that's the main factor to how they train there skills, will it make them a profit or not.

So to fully answer your question i use all the means of skill training available, due to the fact its there.

koolcookie0.png

Goals: 15m Slayer xp | 85 Herblore | 75+ All Stats | Chaotic Rapier | 125k/200k Tokens

Whenever someone asks how they can get 99 Hunter, I always tell them the traditional method of Red Salamanders and Chinchompas. I'll never tell them about barehanded butterflies or Fruit Bats at Pawyas because I don't know of them.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, alot of people, after they get to 99, would stick to their method they used to get 99 because most of them won't need extra exp from the 'newer' methods. This is, obviously, not the same for everyone, but I certainly don't need any extra Hunter exp.

But if I were to train them, I would use newer methods, simply because it's easier and faster.

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

Most of my 99's were gotten before the speeding up of the skills, while I may not like the changes made to some skills, I don't object to most of the changes and will happily train using the new methods if they prove to be better experience than previously possible.

Cuz I remember when I could count the # of servers on one hand.

Yeah, in the old days, people used to know which servers were members and which were not. Also, people used to use scapeboard :twisted:

If you haven't ever played rsc, it'd be hard for me to consider you oldschool. The fact that things become easier in time is inevitable, but it doesn't mean things get better.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I'm not old school at all. I was just in time to witness free trade and the old wild.

It's hard to imagine new content without new methods of training, and most of them are really good & responded to the needs of many players (zmi, living rock caverns, high level potions, ...).

Some I consider mistakes : a minigame like SW should never have given out the xp it did/does, and castle's walls around rs should have stayed clear of ivy.

With time I find that I relax my principles. I've recently ivied my way to a new level (for an effigy).

That's not to say I don't still enjoy walking past the headbangers at an ivy wall saying "REAL men fell TREES" ;)

Tsjilp.png

I started playing Runescape in 1994, and I only respect people who got 99 mining through copper and tin.

I like to be efficient. I'm not really a nostalgic player. Classic was fun it its own way, but I much prefer Runescape today. So, in conclusion, I embrace new training methods.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I think that people who have had metal armour as their best when it was the best in the game can be called old-school. Before the game went on tangents with unique items all over the place.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Well, i joined in 2006, saw the release of 4 skills, saw the raging PKers after dec 10 and well, im still here :P

i dont know if you can define that as oldschool, its 4 years o.O

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

I am old school because I played RSC.

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

I'm old skool because I played back RSC. I'm old skool because I found 2 santa hats that dropped one day Christmas morning. I'm old skool because I was young back then and got my account hacked 4 times, resulting in the lost of my santa hats.

I'm old skool because I remember rangers could pj anyone in the wildy, multi or not. I'm old skool because I remember when the rune pick came out, letting you hit up to 12 times! I'm old skool because I train the skill I like, and not to get a cape.

I'm old skool.

The only thing im really against is certain minigames making skills easier than actually training them in any other normal non-minigame way. Minigames should really be more about reward items than reward xp.

All the skill updates are just inevitable and welcomed for the most part. Very few bad updates along the way in those terms. I think things like 'x' are only bad due to fact you dont have the choice to turn them on or off. Which would be pretty easy for jagex to do. Its certainly not fair to be forced to do an 'x' option when in the past it used to be faster or something without that 'x' option. For example if skill A took 4 months to complete without 'x' and with 'x' it takes 6 months then that is a tad annoying. Such updates are more frequent than updates that makes things double as easy as before. Bigs jumps would be bad but small improvements should happen slowly over time.

DIY is for men among children sadly its the hard path to walk and I long since strayed.

We need a newskool baby agility cape for those who got it after they doubled the xp handed out.

Newskool can have that dorky looking icon Jagex threw up last year on their back instead of the classy stick figure.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Since when did "training method" gotta do with being an old school player. :rolleyes:

[hide]

I am old school because I played RSC.

I started playing in 2001. That makes me old school by default.

I'm old skool because I played back RSC.

I'm old skool because I remember rangers could pj anyone in the wildy, multi or not. I'm old skool because I train the skill I like, and not to get a cape.

I'm old skool.

[/hide]

Lol this.

Dark_Yeng.png

2002 - 2003 RuneScape Classic Clans: Wild Dawgs (WD). Court of Dragons (CoD). BlacKnights (BK). Black Dragon Knights (BDK).

2009 - 2010 RuneScape 2 Clan/Team: Hardly Dead (HD). Ex-Team Silent Ember (SE).

~ Hmong Pride ~

"Old school" now a day is taken very loosely...people that have been playing for 3-5 years think they are "old school", which is fine

but when the term was first thrown around...it wasn't a term used to measure the amount of time you played the game..it was used to describe someone who played from the start

Do i consider myself a TRUE old schooler? no. Do i consider myself old school by the standards of today? yes

Here are some of the older pics i have (most of my RSC pics have been long gone from multiple formats throughout the years)

[hide]

statsbeforers2.png

^stats at the end of rsc and the transition to rs2 in 2004 (Legends quest was the only quest i couldn't complete...i ended up getting it when rs2 came out and you could eat in combat)

rs2ranks.png

^found this kinda cool..shows the ranks and skill lvl from 2004

worldsu.png

^oldest world screen select page i have (2004)

imer69inchamps.png

^this is one kinda cool. It is my very first runescape account. Back in early RSC, if you were caught cheating/macroing you wouldn't be banned...you would get stat swiped, leaving your quests completed (i guess it stopped people from doing this on purpose to benefit from doing a certain quest over and over?) Back in early RSC...you couldn't see the players combat level in game. So you would get lvl 10s saying they are level 90+. Well there was a program that was used for macroing that would also show the players combat level in game...i could never figure out how to run a script...so i just ran around freaking people out by "acting" like i could guess their combat level. Ended up getting stat swiped.[/hide]

Now onto the topic:

I cant really get upset by the fact that it is 100x easier to lvl a skill with the "make X" option...since i never lvled a skill to 99 before the addition to the game...but i am jealous that after getting 87 fletching by clicking knife-log-knife-log then unstrung bow-bowstring-unstrung bow-bowstring and so on...but like i said..i was only lvl 87 and people who did 2X the amount of XP than i did...had A LOT more work cut out for them

Also fishing makes me jealous. lvling in RSC required you to click each attempt (if you missed a fish, it would continue fishing til you received one...if i remember correctly) then you would have to cert them...then take them to Draynor and uncert them

but i do understand Jagex reasoning for adding the "easy mode button" into the game...it keeps people playing longer and makes it easier for people to start the game..and catch on faster. In some cases though, made people leave because of the fact that the feeling of getting an achievement in a certain skill required you to hit lvl 99 instead of something along the line of hitting lvl 70 crafting in rsc [and even early rs2] and be able to FINALLY craft Diamond Ammies.

It was taking ages to train a skill and you feel so special when you get Lv99, now days everyone having Lv99 easily, so not special anymore.

I got most my 99 levels before jagex adds free-exp/make x to the game, i clicked every fish and used on range/smelted every steel bar one by one..

first they made it easier to train by [make x] option,

then having exp-boost,

now giving free-exp,

next getting free-levels.

BUT THE GAME IS STILL FUN.... specially when you train your new account(s). too easy to beat your main account :P

Demario.png

My vengeance is everything..

..everything must come to an end

I don't give "Old School" too mcuh thought. I'm still a relatively new player compared to alot here (I joined back when the Christmas Antlers came out, nowhere near RSC or any rares drops). I guess people classify themselves based on the "era" they joined in - pre-GE era, old PKing era, RSC, rares era, etc.

Guide - How To Prepare For (And profit From) Free Trade & the Return of the Wilderness

rune-tips-banner.jpg

2.17B Total Wealth ~ The Original Grand Exchange Merchant

It was taking ages to train a skill and you feel so special when you get Lv99, now days everyone having Lv99 easily, so not special anymore.

I got most my 99 levels before jagex adds free-exp/make x to the game, i clicked every fish and used on range/smelted every steel bar one by one..

first they made it easier to train by [make x] option,

then having exp-boost,

now giving free-exp,

next getting free-levels.

BUT THE GAME IS STILL FUN.... specially when you train your new account(s). too easy to beat your main account :P

yea that's what i was talking about

also i do agree about new accounts...since ive been back ive made a f2p only account that ive been messing around on

within about 3 weeks of casual play (maybe 2 hours a day if that)...i got him to 60 combat...74 fishing 60 mining 60ish cooking...also from lvl 48-62 in fishing...i was walking from Kara to Draynor to bank my lobs before i realized they added a guy on Kara to "note" your fish :\

and he has about 6mil in ores/fish