Should American football be renamed handegg?

The_Gabe

104 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the name of the sport?

• Football
    • Handegg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Post has nothing to do with the thread.

I think the idea is good, but knowing how stubborn Americans are in general, handegg (and NHL, hahaha) will only go as far as the last (relevant) comment in this thread.

I'll stick with "American football."

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

I do agree that it should be changed cause the name is already taken, but not that dumb name....

I Support TET!| If you want bunny PM Me.|Click For My DevArt

musics.png

^ Cowboy is the Best ^

IT'S A TRAP SHINY JUST WANTS TO STALK YOU.

Hell yeah I do. Whats your msn?

That's how it all starts.

Next he's going to ask you what flavor of candy you enjoy and whats your favorite color van.

I do agree that it should be changed cause the name is already taken, but not that dumb name....

The name "American Football" is taken? And yes, handegg is ridiculous.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

Post has nothing to do with the thread.

I think the idea is good, but knowing how stubborn Americans are in general, handegg (and NHL, hahaha) will only go as far as the last (relevant) comment in this thread.

I'll stick with "American football."

Why do people always generalize americans as being stubborn... Its like saying that all french are gay or all british have horrible dental hygine...

on topic I agree that both sports being called football is quite confusing but I think that calling either sport scrambled egg just seems lame. As an american I can't enjoy soccer as much as football, I think the game just scores to low for my taste

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

"choosing your path is the true trial", "the most honorable dilemma"

See you don't even need to be athletic to play football. Just be big and fat and your good.

Completely false. I guarantee that even those chubby defensive linemen have more muscle than you. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if their body fat percentage was lower than yours. Regardless, most guys are under 300 lbs., so they're hardly fat.

It might interest you to know that Trent Cole, one of those supposedly unathletic defensive linemen for the Philadelphia Eagles, ran a 4.7 40 yard dash.

Must only be in highschool football then. Yes, most of the DL and OL in our school are stronger than I, but they can't run for [cabbage].

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

See you don't even need to be athletic to play football. Just be big and fat and your good.

Completely false. I guarantee that even those chubby defensive linemen have more muscle than you. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if their body fat percentage was lower than yours. Regardless, most guys are under 300 lbs., so they're hardly fat.

It might interest you to know that Trent Cole, one of those supposedly unathletic defensive linemen for the Philadelphia Eagles, ran a 4.7 40 yard dash.

Must only be in highschool football then. Yes, most of the DL and OL in our school are stronger than I, but they can't run for [cabbage].

It's hard to judge things like that in high school because of the varying levels of ability between division levels...hell, even between different schools in the same division.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

You guys completely misunderstand sports and athletic ability - most of you anyways. I'm not surprised that an internet argument is producing stuff like this, but seriously. Every sport is different, to say one is better than another is ridiculous. [American/Canadian] Football and rugby and hockey are completely different games. [American/Canadian]Football requires quick-thinking and hunger for the ball. Rugby requires just general hard as nails determination. Hockey requires a whole lot more precision skill than physical skill. Yeah, there's hitting, but any hockey player would get destroyed by a football or rugby player. Yet the professionals for their sports are incredible athletes. Stop saying that one is better than another, a world-class athlete is a world-class athlete. Just because they wouldn't do well at your favourite sport doesn't mean they don't dominate their own.

And how can I talk about these sports? I play all of them. And to make give an example of how you can't compare athletes across sports, me and my friend both play rugby and [Canadian] football. He's a far better football player, I'm absolute garbage, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a scholarship for uni. We're just about equal when it comes to rugby, that is to say that we're two of our team's best players. Then when it comes to hockey, I'm an average player. He doesn't even know how to skate. I can also ski, swim and run much better than him. He's a very good goalkeeper, or used to be. So wanna know who's the better athlete? I'd personally say he is, he dedicates more of his life to it.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Handegg.. Or as Americans call it football. Here is just 3 simple reasons for the name of the sport to be changed

Reason 1: Americans are essentially one of the only countries who play this sport. Alas, the name is already taken by another sport; a sport referred to as soccer by the United States, but football by the rest of the world.

This part makes sense I guess. It is already known as football, and always has been. If it were changed, no one would call it by the new name anyway.

Reason 2: In American football, you don't even use your feet at all other then for running... Why FOOTball?

Maybe the word foot is in reference to the shape of the ball..somehow? I dunno why it is called that, lazy people named it perhaps. There is a lot of running involved..lol

Reason 3: You aren't even using a ball!

This is the definition of a ball

A spherical object or entity

such as this

A football is a ball.

noun

a spherical or approximately spherical body or shape; sphere: He rolled the piece of paper into a ball.

a round or roundish body, of various sizes and materials, either hollow or solid, for use in games, as baseball, football, tennis, or golf.

a FootBALL, is a ball.

1197103862376117882Gioppino_Soccer_Ball.svg.med.png

or this

4ball.jpg

or even this

ball-pit-danger-795642.jpg

As you can see, this

football.jpg

IS NOT SPHERICAL!!

It is more oval-ish, like an egg.

+ You tend to hold it in your arm/hand.

Perhaps we can follow trend and change the name of soccer to handball? Don't use feet much (directly) in football, don't use hands in soccer.

The names of soccer and football are fine. Leave them. :)

35b9enp.jpg

LOL HANDEGG :XD: once again you make my day.

I still prefer that american football should stay the same name though. You play with a football, you use your feet for lots of actions, and... well balls don't have to be round you know.

Besides it's been called this way for years. Why bother changing?

I agree that "soccer" should just be called soccer for less confusion.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

• 2 weeks later...

So did the name change yet?

Lol just had to bump the post for more recognition? It is what it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. We love football. Why hate just because of its name? (I used too many cliches sorry.)

P.S. No ball is every 100% round and sphere-like unless you're an 8 year old who is trolling @ the kickball field.

Manitstinks.gif

lolud0.pnglol2ni3.png

• 4 weeks later...

loltg.jpg

No, but in all seriousness, soccer is my favorite sport. I don't think many Americans take it seriously because everyone (at least where I live) plays it as a kid, usually until high school. They see it as a wimpy game because even non-athletes like me could give them a run for their money (on defense, at least). I would support a name change but it would only make hardcore American football fans hate soccer more, which is the last thing we need.

This is coming from a fan of hockey, soccer, AND American football. The only sports I hate are ones that happen to begin with the letter "B" :thumbup:.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

• 2 months later...

This is really insulting honestly. Maybe soccer should be fairy ball? Excuse us if we enjoy watching strong people play for about 8 seconds at a time rather than watching 100 pound 5 foot 6' pixies lightly jog for 3 hours. The reason America doesn't dominate soccer is because our best athletes play REAL SPORTS.

• 3 weeks later...

What an ignoranttroll FOOL. You're not even worth the time to argue over the internet, although is anyone?

Regardless of what country or sport you follow, both have the hi and lowlights. We could debate endlessly which one is better but the truth of the matter is that it's an opinion.

EDIT: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81eeeebc/article/ochocinco-better-in-day-2-of-mls-tryout-but-game-above-him?module=HP_headlines

That will show that even some of the best football athletes can't compete with soccer. Also, it shows that soccer players cannot simply walk into the NFL.

• 2 weeks later...

This is really insulting honestly. Maybe soccer should be fairy ball? Excuse us if we enjoy watching strong people play for about 8 seconds at a time rather than watching 100 pound 5 foot 6' pixies lightly jog for 3 hours. The reason America doesn't dominate soccer is because our best athletes play REAL SPORTS.

The reason we can't dominate these 5'6" pixies is because we're too strong and talented?icon_wall.gif

It's times like these where I wonder why I'm American.

-------

Two different sports; they require two different talents. You can't compare an American Football player to a soccer player.

I'll just leave this here... Ochocinco earns reserve spot on MLS team

When a soccer player joins his country's respective American football league, let me know. Until then, quit the arguing - both are awesome.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato