Wilderness and Free Trade will return - 17 January 2011

Noobzy

- Relocate the volcano and all the other post 07 wilderness updates to an island east of the wilderness. Since they arent remaking any of the content and just moving it, it should a week (if that) for the entire graphical team to be working on the island and maybe adding some eyecandy to it like skeletons, ruins, trees, mountains, etc.

Oh! I do hope they keep the Wildy Volcano! :unsure:

It was such a nice spot to bank and telly to. So nice and central to the entire Wildy -- you could access Greater demons for slayer tasks, so easily.

Oh, and it was nice and close to those other mini-games -- like Stealing Creation -- and other related events that were nearby -- you know, like penguins, falling stars.

Not to mention that re-writing the data for the Gaming Ammy would mean some more change in codes, and they'd have to move Stealing Creation, and they'd have to remove that bank, and all the other stuff that's out there close to everything, and stuff ... :unsure:

Wow -- sounds like a lot of work to me for only two weeks, prep, doesn't it?

#-o Thats what I forgot

- Relocate penguins and falling stars to wildy island instead of wilderness.

- Recode Gaming Ammy

But yeah the wildy volcano is convenient but I think the deal is pkers get their wilderness and skillers get theirs. I am sure wildy island where its all moved to will have green drags, clues (perhaps), slayer monsters and convience like now

Or:

Jagex could just give those people who DON'T WANT the "old Wildy" back the exact same consideration they gave all those people who complained about the removal of the "old Wildy" -- and that is, set aside certain worlds where the "current" wildy continues to exist, complete with Revanants, volcano, penguins, falling stars, and what-not ...

Or not.

:rolleyes:

why should they try to appease a small minority?

Because the small minority can shout really hard.

If you're implying that the people that voted 'yes' and ranted about the Wilderness/Free Trade being taken away were a minority, then you're dead wrong.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Relocate the volcano and all the other post 07 wilderness updates to an island east of the wilderness. Since they arent remaking any of the content and just moving it, it should a week (if that) for the entire graphical team to be working on the island and maybe adding some eyecandy to it like skeletons, ruins, trees, mountains, etc.

It was such a nice spot to bank and telly to. So nice and central to the entire Wildy -- you could access Greater demons for slayer tasks, so easily.

Oh, and it was nice and close to those other mini-games -- like Stealing Creation -- and other related events that were nearby -- you know, like penguins, falling stars.

Not to mention that re-writing the data for the Gaming Ammy would mean some more change in codes, and they'd have to move Stealing Creation, and they'd have to remove that bank, and all the other stuff that's out there close to everything, and stuff ... :unsure:

#-o Thats what I forgot

- Recode Gaming Ammy

But yeah the wildy volcano is convenient but I think the deal is pkers get their wilderness and skillers get theirs. I am sure wildy island where its all moved to will have green drags, clues (perhaps), slayer monsters and convience like now

Or:

Jagex could just give those people who DON'T WANT the "old Wildy" back the exact same consideration they gave all those people who complained about the removal of the "old Wildy" -- and that is, set aside certain worlds where the "current" wildy continues to exist, complete with Revanants, volcano, penguins, falling stars, and what-not ...

Or not.

If you're implying that the people that voted 'yes' and ranted about the Wilderness/Free Trade being taken away were a minority, then you're dead wrong.

I'm implying that a same type of situation could arise as when free trade was removed, when a minority kept on ranting about it. I'm not saying that there's only a minority of the players that agree with the upcoming update.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

The people who voted yes clearly were a minority. I mean c'mon, do you really think 1.2 million DIFFERENT people all said yes? You'd be lucky to find half of that supporting real-world issues, let alone a computer game. Me thinks jagex quits too easily? All hail jagex, the bret favre of online gaming!

div>

The number supporting free trade/wildy are bound to be skewed in favor of yes votes. People who voted yes are simply more motivated toward making sure their side won the referendum. In addition, the referendum counted number of accounts who voted, not number of people. Think of how many accounts the average PKer has and you can get the general idea of what happened. Only Jagex knows exactly how skewed these results were though.

Tact.gif

Famous last words. I'm pretty sure it was a "couple of lines of code" that caused people to die randomly a few years ago.

Indeed, that's why coding can be such a nuisance. 1 wrong character could break the biggest things.

Noob question, but what is this "Wildy Island"?

It's a "perfect world" area Ring World has created for Jagex to move all non-Dangerous-PvP objects to from the Wilderness.

Time for a new referendum.

"Do you want a free partyhat set added to your bank?"

I wonder what the outcome will be. Probably around 91% yes and 9% no.

I support. :thumbup:

#-o Thats what I forgot

- Recode Gaming Ammy

Or:

Or not.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what effects this will have on the market and what all the changes will be (regarding ovls, clue scrolls and such).

I'd like to at least give a go to a falling star in the wildy -- could be fun.

punitivedsig.png

I'm glad they brought it back, and also I'm glad they used this as a publicity stunt, because I'm one of those people who favor the more the merrier, the more being people. Also, 2 weeks is an awesome deadline, I didn't think they'd have it out until summer, so we can assume Jagex had the coding done and was going to release this no matter what.

However, we still don't know if there are strings attached, this free trade maybe something weird, because unless they changed something, they're are going to have the exact same scams they had last time. Really the best way to stop credit card fraud is to have RS playable by their RS game cards, however this would be hugely inconvenient for most people.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

This is talking about the arrival, not the vote. In fact, there is a lengthy thread about the vote. Talk about "skewing" there.

Wannabe mod. It came up in this thread and I posted a short summary of my thoughts.

Anyways, I have a problem with Java atm so I can't log into RS at all. I checked the forums though, and as expected, people are once again hoarding any items and supplies having to do with combat. Luckily, I stockpiled a decent amount of most necessities, and I can always fall back on gathering and making these things myself if needed. However, I do think that pvpers without a large bank are going to be hurting for the next 2 weeks if they didn't have the foresight to prepare earlier.

Tact.gif

The number supporting free trade/wildy are bound to be skewed in favor of yes votes. People who voted yes are simply more motivated toward making sure their side won the referendum. In addition, the referendum counted number of accounts who voted, not number of people. Think of how many accounts the average PKer has and you can get the general idea of what happened. Only Jagex knows exactly how skewed these results were though.

Have you read any of the thread on RSOF entitled Wildy/Free Trade Thoughts ....? (QFC: 16-17-689-62163886) Quite a few people think that with free trade, they will now be able to transfer all their wealth from their ancillary accounts to their mains.

I guess they dont need those accounts anymore, now that the referendum has been railroaded through. :rolleyes:

What Im hoping happens:

(1) Membership surges in February as everyone buys members for all these accounts

(2) Transfers are made (or not made, depending on your view of what Jagex will tolerate)

(3) Membership drops like a rock as all the ancillary accounts are cancelled

(4) That rat bastard Gerhard ends up with egg all over his face

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Have you read any of the thread on RSOF entitled Wildy/Free Trade Thoughts ....? (QFC: 16-17-689-62163886) Quite a few people think that with free trade, they will now be able to transfer all their wealth from their ancillary accounts to their mains.

I guess they dont need those accounts anymore, now that the referendum has been railroaded through. :rolleyes:

What Im hoping happens:

(1) Membership surges in February as everyone buys members for all these accounts

(2) Transfers are made (or not made, depending on your view of what Jagex will tolerate)

(3) Membership drops like a rock as all the ancillary accounts are cancelled

(4) That rat bastard Gerhard ends up with egg all over his face

I don't see what your point is. Mine is that

A. People in favor of free trade/wildy have a lot to gain from YES vote and that therefore they are motivated to

B. Use their multiple accounts to vote for the referendum

Tact.gif

Or:

Or not.

But that's the point of the Wilderness. It's not just a PvP area, it's a PvP area where people not interested in fighting may be lured by potential rewards too. AKA, you can Abyss RC for faster xp (not true anymore obviously, but it was at the time) or do Clue Scrolls for exclusive rewards (again, not true anymore), at the risk of being hunted. At the same time, that brings out those who aren't so good at PvP to hunt for those who aren't there for PvP at all, which then offers targets to those who are better at PvP and ready to fight someone who might fight back.

That's the way the wilderness was designed. Jagex already mentioned looking at the Abyss and Clue Scrolls again, on account of the rewards no longer scaling well in comparison with the risk, and potentially reworking them.

If you create a world where there's Revenants and no PKing, you would have to remove all the Wilderness activities meant for players willing to suffer the risk of other players hunting them.

I am curious about how Jagex is planning to handle "borrowed items" in the new "old" revised Wildy? :unsure:

"Borrowed items may not be taken across the ditch." Same goes for teleporting in.

It would probably be "You cannot attack another player with another player's stuff!"

Pretty much be a meatbag clad in metal, leather, or cloth.

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

I am curious about how Jagex is planning to handle "borrowed items" in the new "old" revised Wildy? :unsure:

"Borrowed items may not be taken across the ditch." Same goes for teleporting in.

It would probably be "You cannot attack another player with another player's stuff!"

Pretty much be a meatbag clad in metal, leather, or cloth.

Don't think I'll lend for the first week or so.

punitivedsig.png

edit for wrong quote

You clearly don't understand how much work goes into game development then. If you were talking about a small update, that alone would take at least 3 months. We're talking about a vast update that requires a huge rework of multiple large pieces of content. That takes at least 6 months. There's also been multiple game engine changes since, old code probably isn't even compatible any more. The moral of this story: Never take Jagex's word as gospel.

MMG said it isn't a huge project, I think Jagex has a pretty good idea of what their abilities are.

yes.png

edit for wrong quote

You clearly don't understand how much work goes into game development then. If you were talking about a small update, that alone would take at least 3 months. We're talking about a vast update that requires a huge rework of multiple large pieces of content. That takes at least 6 months. There's also been multiple game engine changes since, old code probably isn't even compatible any more. The moral of this story: Never take Jagex's word as gospel.

MMG said it isn't a huge project, I think Jagex has a pretty good idea of what their abilities are..

No, no, no. :shame:

They far overestimate them.

See Ring_World's post:

Lets see all the work that needs to be done.

- Remove limits on the GE. Since they arent remaking the GE that is only a few lines of code.

- Remove limits on trade. Also just a few lines of code.

- Also with another team recoding the rev routes on that island. NOT remaking revs entirely it should only be a day of coding

- Reverting shops to their original restock method and visible supply to everyone (a few lines of code *which i am sure they saved from 07 anyways*)

- Rewording quests to say that they will take place on the wilderness island (where everything is getting moved to) instead of the wilderness, and some quest scenes like WGS maybe a week on this.

- Reworking the pvp code to be as it was in 07, with probably some decision making on different untradable items that didnt exist back in the day as well as reworking the code for Brawlers drops, and corrupt/other pvp items.

- Allowing unlimited staking again (few lines of code)

I dont think I missed anything else...

I have no doubt at all that it is possible for it to be done in 15 days

yes.png

An issue i've just thought of is that if I go to the GE, how do I know what to pay for items? I'f there's no maximum or minimum prices? Things could get messy.

Also, how would coinshare fit into the above system?

2v8sgvs.png