Wilderness and Free Trade will return - 17 January 2011

Noobzy

An issue i've just thought of is that if I go to the GE, how do I know what to pay for items? I'f there's no maximum or minimum prices? Things could get messy.

Also, how would coinshare fit into the above system?

You'll have to do it the old fashion way, cruise the forums and check the going rate for whatever you want to buy. Head to World 2 Fally Park to see if you can snipe a good deal or head over the Grand Exchange if you don't want to world hop. I'm excited to not be able to buy items immediately and for player interaction to finally return to this game!

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edit for wrong quote

You clearly don't understand how much work goes into game development then. If you were talking about a small update, that alone would take at least 3 months. We're talking about a vast update that requires a huge rework of multiple large pieces of content. That takes at least 6 months. There's also been multiple game engine changes since, old code probably isn't even compatible any more. The moral of this story: Never take Jagex's word as gospel.

MMG said it isn't a huge project, I think Jagex has a pretty good idea of what their abilities are..

No, no, no. :shame:

They far overestimate them.

even jagex would not say thay would do something this big ths soon unless thay knew they could do it (give or take a week).

if it does take 6 months to do this, my bet is that we are only seeing the very end of thouse 6 months.

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

An issue i've just thought of is that if I go to the GE, how do I know what to pay for items? I'f there's no maximum or minimum prices? Things could get messy.

You'll have to do it the old fashion way, cruise the forums and check the going rate for whatever you want to buy. Head to World 2 Fally Park to see if you can snipe a good deal or head over the Grand Exchange if you don't want to world hop. I'm excited to not be able to buy items immediately and for player interaction to finally return to this game!

Yup, standing around world 2 Fally for hours on end trying to make yourself seen through the hordes of autotalkers sure is fun! /sarcasm.

Sylpheed.png

So now we know why content has been so shockingly poor recently, they've been working on this. :rolleyes:

2 weeks doesn't mean they've been working on it. It's not exactly a hard or time consuming thing to do, and MMG said he'd get the entire team working on it once it's official (now)

You think Jagex can pull a game-changing update out of their arse in two weeks?

Ok then..

I think that Jagex can because all they have to do is go back in their files, update the graphics and some of the code, fix some patches and so on and they have wildy and free trade ready.

You clearly don't understand how much work goes into game development then. If you were talking about a small update, that alone would take at least 3 months. We're talking about a vast update that requires a huge rework of multiple large pieces of content. That takes at least 6 months. There's also been multiple game engine changes since, old code probably isn't even compatible any more. The moral of this story: Never take Jagex's word as gospel.

wildy might be, but lifting the trade restrictions would merely be just changing a variable!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Yup, standing around world 2 Fally for hours on end trying to make yourself seen through the hordes of autotalkers sure is fun! /sarcasm.

So then pay the extra money and use the GE.

yes.png

See Ring_World's post:

Lets see all the work that needs to be done.

- Remove limits on the GE. Since they arent remaking the GE that is only a few lines of code.

- Remove limits on trade. Also just a few lines of code.

- Relocate the volcano and all the other post 07 wilderness updates to an island east of the wilderness. Since they arent remaking any of the content and just moving it, it should a week (if that) for the entire graphical team to be working on the island and maybe adding some eyecandy to it like skeletons, ruins, trees, mountains, etc.

- Also with another team recoding the rev routes on that island. NOT remaking revs entirely it should only be a day of coding

- Reverting shops to their original restock method and visible supply to everyone (a few lines of code *which i am sure they saved from 07 anyways*)

- Rewording quests to say that they will take place on the wilderness island (where everything is getting moved to) instead of the wilderness, and some quest scenes like WGS maybe a week on this.

- Reworking the pvp code to be as it was in 07, with probably some decision making on different untradable items that didnt exist back in the day as well as reworking the code for Brawlers drops, and corrupt/other pvp items.

- Allowing unlimited staking again (few lines of code)

I dont think I missed anything else...

I have no doubt at all that it is possible for it to be done in 15 days

Stop it. It can't be done in 15 days. You know that, and you need to face up to it and accept that Jagex can lie and deceive.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

well, i enjoyed it

So they did....

I don't really care though, I still love this soon-to-be update. I don't care if it was a publicity stunt, I don't care if they've been working on it for 6 months, I don't care if they were going to bring it back no matter what.

If they only reason for hating this update is the way Jagex supposed "lied" to all their players, then I must say that's a pretty weak thing to base it on.

Not neccessarily directing it at you Will, just in general.

Staurolite.png

Coinshare would probably do for 5% less then market price as it does now.

Coinshare was dumb anyway. <_<

See Ring_World's post:

Lets see all the work that needs to be done.

- Remove limits on the GE. Since they arent remaking the GE that is only a few lines of code.

- Remove limits on trade. Also just a few lines of code.

- Relocate the volcano and all the other post 07 wilderness updates to an island east of the wilderness. Since they arent remaking any of the content and just moving it, it should a week (if that) for the entire graphical team to be working on the island and maybe adding some eyecandy to it like skeletons, ruins, trees, mountains, etc.

- Also with another team recoding the rev routes on that island. NOT remaking revs entirely it should only be a day of coding

- Reverting shops to their original restock method and visible supply to everyone (a few lines of code *which i am sure they saved from 07 anyways*)

- Rewording quests to say that they will take place on the wilderness island (where everything is getting moved to) instead of the wilderness, and some quest scenes like WGS maybe a week on this.

- Reworking the pvp code to be as it was in 07, with probably some decision making on different untradable items that didnt exist back in the day as well as reworking the code for Brawlers drops, and corrupt/other pvp items.

- Allowing unlimited staking again (few lines of code)

I dont think I missed anything else...

I have no doubt at all that it is possible for it to be done in 15 days

Stop it. It can't be done in 15 days. You know that, and you need to face up to it and accept that Jagex can lie and deceive.

With a team of hundreds of content developers? It can be done in 15 days.

Yeah 15 days of work (10 working days), and that includes the week of QA too? I'm so not risking playing first day if thats the case. And they don't have hundreds of content developers.

They have been planning this for ages no matter what anybody says. It took them weeks to even make small changes to PvP in the past and still managed to mess it up, I cant see how it would be possible to get a suitably tested release in that time.

Also another thing, all updates this month have been ready right at the start of the week with no delays which is so out of character for the usual update schedule (I cant remember anything like that in the last 5 years). I wonder what they were doing during those rest weeks...

And FYI I don't care if they did start before the poll ended I'm just mealy stating the evidence, as I voted yes anyway.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

WE PAY WE SAY! NO WILD!!!

Already Been told from a good friend of mine that dragon bones he's been collecting for years now im more than happy to have. should get me to 13.4m Prayer xp! And even thou i could of easily bought them my self, i'm happy we can now help out our friends more easily. Allow Birthday and other holiday presents :) Awh feeling like a kid again !

koolcookie0.png

Goals: 15m Slayer xp | 85 Herblore | 75+ All Stats | Chaotic Rapier | 125k/200k Tokens

@ Riemis

1. Over 100 developers working on it.

2. They have lots of the code

3. What are your credentials in saying it can't be?

yes.png

Awesome. I don't really care if Jagex have been working on this for months, if they had waited for ages all the impatient idiots would have started raging. I saw many people claiming that it would return on monday. Anyway i just put in an offer for 1k rune scimi's, should be some easy profit for me :-D .

@ Riemis

They don't have over 100 developers working on it, I don't even know if they have that many developers at all. I know they have so many employees but a lot won't be content devs.

The code is probably going to need to be changed quite a lot, though the basics might be the same the intricacies are what will have bogged down the coding.

And the credentials are in common sense. It's utterly ridiculous to suggest that Jagex have got this content ready in the past few weeks when it famously takes them just as long for simply tiny bug fixes.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

@ Riemis

Maybe you are getting me wrong, but I'm saying it is possible for them to do it in 15 days..

@ Riemis

They don't have over 100 developers working on it, I don't even know if they have that many developers at all. I know they have so many employees but a lot won't be content devs.

The code is probably going to need to be changed quite a lot, though the basics might be the same the intricacies are what will have bogged down the coding.

And the credentials are in common sense. It's utterly ridiculous to suggest that Jagex have got this content ready in the past few weeks when it famously takes them just as long for simply tiny bug fixes.

MMG personally said in his clan chat the ENTIRE runescape team would work on it to get it out as fast as humanly possible. Common sense is not the best sense.

yes.png

With new updates to the wilderness in the past 3 years, one can only assume the immense amount of code they had to write.

However, I would not doubt they saved code from older versions of the wilderness and of RS to be able to recall data, maps, etc.

Even with that information, I believe it would take more than 15 days to implement such a large update. I think they are telling the players it was their viewpoint that changed the game, but Jagex finally found a way to deal with stolen credit cards, RWT, etc (maybe), so they decided they could bring it all back.

I doubt they ever truly wanted to introduce regulated trade, but were forced to by external forces at the time.

wessan.png

MMG personally said in his clan chat the ENTIRE runescape team would work on it to get it out as fast as humanly possible. Common sense is not the best sense.

Yeah but common sense is more believable and usually truer than anything MMG says, also just because they have the entire team on it now does not mean they weren't working on it before. :roll: .

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

Yeah but common sense is more believable and usually truer than anything MMG says, also just because they have the entire team on it now does not mean they weren't working on it before. :roll: .

Does it even matter if they worked on it before?

You're getting the wildy and unrestricted trade back, that is the only difference you'll notice...