Extremes in New Wildy

Pay_Me

203 members have voted

1. 1. Which Best describes your feelings?

• Allow Extremes in Wildy, there's no reason not to
    • Don't Allow Extremes, I can't use them
    • Don't Allow Extremes, I'm afraid of them
    • Don't Allow Extremes, "you can't see them"
    • Other, Please explain

A j-mod at runefest once explained his view about making "pro-defence" updates. I consider allowing extremes to be a "pro-main account" update, so I'm for it.

Gives well-rounded characters a fair advantage for the time they took to raise the money and train.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extremes are no different than other items that require non-combat levels (e.g. handcannon, Korasi's) in how they are obtained. They are different in what they do (e.g. extremes boost levels, handcannon boosts equipment bonus & is more of a risk).

The principle of being allowed to use potions is already well-established. In general, people agree that potions should be allowed.

The principle of being allowed to use items requiring non-combat levels is already well-established. The argument that herblore is a non-combat stat and should not give items that are an advantage over items obtainable with no herblore has no precedent in Runescape whatsoever.

The argument that extremes make the current, bad situation (of having too much damage per second relative to the maximum life points you can have) worse is not unique to extremes. It also applies to Korasi's, handcannon, rigour, claws, void, turmoil, chaotics, torva/pernix/virtus, divine, even piety and super pots, down to the lowly dds. E.g. the argument that extremes make the current situation worse requires a second argument to specify why extremes should be banned and not something else.

One such argument is that extremes are currently banned, and that the status quo should be preserved. I don't recall an argument why this should be. In my opinion, the game can be changed.

Another such argument is that extremes were a more recent addition. Since we are returning to the old wilderness, this new update should be left out. This argument is again not unique to extremes. In addition, we are not returning to the old wilderness. To do so would require a massive level/update reset. Certain game mechanics that have been used are returning.

So I think there is no fundamental reason not to allowed extremes. There is no principle to base a ban on. This does not mean they should be allowed in itself.

Currently the reason I seem to read most, is that the current BH+0 system, without the drop system/targets (e.g. approximately what will be implemented), would be worse off with extreme potions than without. Which may or may not be true, but in my opinion this is not relevant as we are not limited in our options. There is no choice between extremes and no extremes, that is a false dilemma. There are many more things we can introduce to change the dps/max lp balance. I name a few:

• 120 constitution
  • More lp per constitution level.
  • Constitution-boosting potions including extreme variants.
  • Cheaper, riskable life-point boosting armours.
  • Cheaper, riskable damage-reducing armours.

And all of these do not have to work outside the wilderness. Some have flaws (for example 120 con is extremely hard to achieve, more lp in general unbalances pvm, and cheap powerful armour could unbalance pvm as well) but I think those can be solved. In the end, the result is a wilderness not where you are limited in what you can use, but instead encouraged to use the full game to your advantage.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I don't see why they can't just treat Extremes like the Korasi sword (as an example) they give the potions a certain "money" drop when the player is killed, just like they are planning on doing with the sword.

I'm sorry to say this but you seem rather like the stereotypical Pker that most people try to get rid of. If a part of the game is broken, the solution is not to make it worse. The solution is also not just to go to a different part of the game.

That is exactly what they are doing for people who want to use extremes....."just go do a pvp minigame"........yeah thats what i spent 200m+ for.....to just go blow massive amounts of gp worth in extremes in castle wars or stupid crap.

People who want to use extremes in the wild are acting the same way you would if jagex told you to go to f2p to pk if you dont want to deal with extremes.

And if they are gonna make a sword that hits 1500 99% of the time it should most definitely be called the PayMe Sword.....lol

PayMe.png

PayMe.png

Extremes are no different than other items that require non-combat levels (e.g. handcannon, Korasi's) in how they are obtained.

Why does everyone fail to see that:

Korasi sword, claws, handcannon etc are ITEMS that you BUY and that you RISK if you use them in pvp.

Ice barrage, turmoil, soul split are ABILITIES that you BUY and that ARE reflected in your combat level.

The ability to use extremes/ovls is an ABILITY that you BUY and one that is NOT risked nor reflected in your combat level.

As such, combat abilities and combat items are fundamentally different from extremes/ovls.

This also has the consequence that extremes/ovls are the most obvious content to ban in pvp combat (to fight power creep).

yeah thats what i spent 200m+ for

You were fully aware that you couldn't use them in pvp. Remember that overloads are still very useful in PvM combat.

So how many people would be upset if they didn't allow dung items or prayers earned thru dung?

You earn the ability to boost range and mage thru dung prayers. But you don't risk losing anything...

PayMe.png

PayMe.png

So how many people would be upset if they didn't allow dung items or prayers earned thru dung?

If those were banned from PVP right from the release of dung; not many.

Extremes/overloads were banned the day after they were released.

Jagex had to allow dung items because very few people would want to train dung if they weren't allowed, and Jagex couldn't let their precious new skill go unused.

PayMe.png

PayMe.png

No one has still answered how Dung prayers are risked...they are an invisible reward from dung and shouldn't be allowed.

Yes there is a prayer requirement for those prayers, but not everyone with that prayer level has the dung lvl to use those prayers.

PayMe.png

PayMe.png

No one has still answered how Dung prayers are risked...they are an invisible reward from dung and shouldn't be allowed.

Yes there is a prayer requirement for those prayers, but not everyone with that prayer level has the dung lvl to use those prayers.

Said it a few pages back.

But since you're talking about ranging, how about we forbid the use of rigour too? Dungeoneering isn't a combat skill, and rigour is an invisible boost!

Rigour requires 74 prayer so it is, but yes dungeoneering isn't displayed in your combat level. it's also not much better than eagle eye (comparing to range - ext range)

Edit: 4k post count lol

Extremes are no different than other items that require non-combat levels (e.g. handcannon, Korasi's) in how they are obtained.

Why does everyone fail to see that:

Korasi sword, claws, handcannon etc are ITEMS that you BUY and that you RISK if you use them in pvp.

Ice barrage, turmoil, soul split are ABILITIES that you BUY and that ARE reflected in your combat level.

The ability to use extremes/ovls is an ABILITY that you BUY and one that is NOT risked nor reflected in your combat level.

As such, combat abilities and combat items are fundamentally different from extremes/ovls.

This also has the consequence that extremes/ovls are the most obvious content to ban in pvp combat (to fight power creep).

The ability to use curses (smithing, quest), or handcannons (firemaking, quest), or dds (woodcutting, quest) is not reflected in your combat level (claws/ags, even torva are) and I did mention the risk of items. Please read and take into account my entire post next time. If you do not yet understand that a quest requirement is exactly like a non-combat skill requirement in that neither are combat skill requirements, this argument may as well end here. I have in my post shown that your arguments are ultimately not correct.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

But since you're talking about ranging, how about we forbid the use of rigour too? Dungeoneering isn't a combat skill, and rigour is an invisible boost!

Rigour requires 74 prayer so it is, but yes dungeoneering isn't displayed in your combat level. it's also not much better than eagle eye (comparing to range - ext range)

Eagle eye doesn't boost your defence lvl by 25%...thats basically the same as drinking an extreme def pot.

PayMe.png

PayMe.png

I can has exts/ovls pls?

I'm not going to get caught up in an arguement, but I think high herblore pots should be allowed. At the very minimum, make them allowed on certain worlds, similar to the high risk worlds that were discussed, in which no items are kept on death.

2461/2496 Total, 35 levels to Completionist

Sunstriker: Path to Completionist Cape

Excluding Overloads is just as stupid as excluding spirit shields or full Torva's, hell Herblore costs less than them! In Runescape people with better armour beat people with worse armour, end of story. Runescape combat is based on increasing the probability of hitting high and decreasing the probability of getting hit, this is done by having better armour and better stats. If someone only plays on weekends and can't get 99s should they somehow be allowed the same advantages as someone who trains to max combat? No. If someone spends their money and time getting herblore up, should they get the advantage from this just as they do from having good armour and stats? Definitely.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

Grats on the post count! Thats a lot of posts.

Also I agree with tin. :P

PayMe.png

PayMe.png

If you do not yet understand that a quest requirement is exactly like a non-combat skill requirement in that neither are combat skill requirements, this argument may as well end here. I have in my post shown that your arguments are ultimately not correct.

Do you agree with me when I say that 85/96 herblore is not comparable to a few lvl 60 requirements in significantly easier/cheaper skills?

@DyingSilent: that's at least giving a choice which is good.

Excluding Overloads is just as stupid as excluding spirit shields or full Torva's, hell Herblore costs less than them! In Runescape people with better armour beat people with worse armour, end of story. Runescape combat is based on increasing the probability of hitting high and decreasing the probability of getting hit, this is done by having better armour and better stats. If someone only plays on weekends and can't get 99s should they somehow be allowed the same advantages as someone who trains to max combat? No. If someone spends their money and time getting herblore up, should they get the advantage from this just as they do from having good armour and stats? Definitely.

Playing on weekends does not stop you from getting 99s.

You cannot compare excluding Overloads to excluding Torva.

Overloads are not a risked benefit...ever, once you get the level, overloads are yours forever. Die with an overload, ok, spend 80k and make a new one

If you wear Torva, you are risking 400m+. Loose a piece of torva...you loose 400m....yea, that's so similar to 80k

How can you even logically begin to compare that?

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Extremes were never allowed in dangerous PvP. It's not going to change all of a sudden.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

The ability to use curses (smithing, quest), or handcannons (firemaking, quest), or dds (woodcutting, quest) is not reflected in your combat level (claws/ags, even torva are) and I did mention the risk of items. Please read and take into account my entire post next time. If you do not yet understand that a quest requirement is exactly like a non-combat skill requirement in that neither are combat skill requirements, this argument may as well end here. I have in my post shown that your arguments are ultimately not correct.

Curses in themselves require prayer level to use, which, evidently, gives you a higher combat level. The boost in combat ability is reflected on your combat level. Hand cannons are risked when you go into the wilderness, thus they are balanced with that. With extremes, you have something that boosts your combat ability, is not reflected in combat level and carries no risk. Now when you know that the wilderness is completely unbalanced in terms of DPS vs. LP, what changes would you make? Realistically, only extremes come up as a great example because they are not balanced and reflect on every combat class near equally.

As for 80% of people not wanting extremes not having them...oh please. Even the biased poll doesn't reflect that, and most of my high level friends happy to come back for pking don't want them either. Why? because there is no reason to make the wilderness restricted to 96 herblore and 1 itemers. Banning extremes is very GOOD for those that have extremes, as there will be more people in the wilderness and the fights will reflect on a persons abilities. Allowing them, however, would be only good for pvm in the wilderness. I honestly can't see any other good things about extremes in the wilderness.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Extremes were never allowed in dangerous PvP. It's not going to change all of a sudden.

Can you stop pulling false information out of nowhere and pretending it's a valid argument? Extremes WERE allowed in dangerous PvP.

Also, for some reason, that reminds me a lot of people who said "Slavery's been around forever. It's not going to change all of a sudden." Well, they were right in that it wasn't really sudden, but it eventually changed.

We allow Turmoil. We don't allow Extremes. That's inherently unfair, and balance isn't a valid excuse when the system is already completely imbalanced, and proper balance could be achieved many other ways.

Curses in themselves require prayer level to use, which, evidently, gives you a higher combat level. The boost in combat ability is reflected on your combat level. Hand cannons are risked when you go into the wilderness, thus they are balanced with that. With extremes, you have something that boosts your combat ability, is not reflected in combat level and carries no risk. Now when you know that the wilderness is completely unbalanced in terms of DPS vs. LP, what changes would you make? Realistically, only extremes come up as a great example because they are not balanced and reflect on every combat class near equally.

No.

Ancient Curses requires quest completion and various skill requirements to unlock.

Ancient Curses requires prayer levels to benefit from it after it's been unlocked.

It provides more than one benefit, with gradually increasing prayer level requirements, up to 95.

Extreme Attack Potions require a non-combat skill to unlock.

Extreme Attack Potions require attack levels to benefit from them after they've been unlocked.

It provides more than one benefit, with gradually increasing attack level requirements, up to 95.

If your prayer levels also represent the increase in combat ability due to Curses, the attack levels also represent the increase in combat ability from Extreme Potions, because without 16 Attack, you aren't getting the +1 Attack, just like without 50 prayer, you aren't getting Sap Warrior. This continues up the scale until 95 prayer and 96 attack (Turmoil and +7 Attack).

Can you stop pulling false information out of nowhere and pretending it's a valid argument? Extremes WERE allowed in dangerous PvP.

Oh sorry, they were allowed for two days.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

We allow Turmoil. We don't allow Extremes. That's inherently unfair

Do you understand what xpx said about them a few posts up? They are fundamentally different.

and balance isn't a valid excuse when the system is already completely imbalanced, and proper balance could be achieved many other ways.

You are saying that PVP being inbalanced is a valid reason to introduce even more derailing items?

We allow Turmoil. We don't allow Extremes. That's inherently unfair, and balance isn't a valid excuse when the system is already completely imbalanced, and proper balance could be achieved many other ways.

Yeah...extremes were allowed for around a day until people realized they were bad for the wilderness...

Turmoil is allowed because you need 96 prayer levels to use it. That in term reflects on your combat level. The same is true for rigor and augury. Is herblore reflected in combat levels? Does using extremes carry higher risk? thank you.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.