Methods for killing bots:

n64jive

Okay: Jagex used to use a captcha system to find bots. All RS bots were able to break captchas shortly afterwards. It doesn't work.

Personally, and I'm a firm believer in this, the only way to catch bots effectively is to add a new random event every update. Let no-one know exactly how the random works, make all randoms give nice or useful rewards, and that way genuine bots will be fooled and broken.

That's the only way, as far as I'm concerned.

For your information, the only type of bot that concerns me is the RWT bot/gold farmer (who might as well be). I don't care about home botting, as that isn't currently a particularly big issue and is used for comparitively small impact to the RS community. As far as I am aware however, there is no way to break the typical home bot-someone who games on a console and looks over every few minutes to check they haven't encountered a random event. If they leave it on overnight, that's a different issue.

You mean the sleeping bags/fatigue?

That is some weak ass CAPTCHA compared to the the industrial stuff like recaptcha today. They were not really hacked either, there was just such a limited number of words that botmakers just solved them all - this will be utterly impossible today if Jagex uses the good stuff. But they were pretty effective - I remember actually having real players inside mining guild and at fishing guild those times. Real people! They were removed because, well, captchas aren't very game-friendly... but they added thise tough randoms to replace them. Unlike now, where there's nothing and all randoms are bot solvable (mostly because the game client's been hacked so badly..)

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saying that if there are any flaws in bots for example the dragon fire has run out message thing to crash frost bots and it gets known the scripts those bots are running would be updated to fix that. It is with everything for example the youtube comment bug where you could out html codes or something in the code, if a bug gets known the creators of those programs are forced to fix it.

Why do people feel like captcha's are unsolvable? According to a class I'm taking captcha's have a fail rate of somewhere between 30% to 50%, depending on the type of captcha. If something is only able to stop animation anywhere from one-third of the time to half of the time, it's not very successful.

And yes, Jagex used CAPTCHA like system back with sleeping bags. I believe their success rate was even worse.

w4M8t.png

you cant make the game bot-proof or bot-free.

its is the same as with hackers, if a hacker is able to hack into playstation than you should expect that sony has the best technicans to counter these hackers.

but the problem is that the hackers are smarter than the engineers that should counter it.

and just like in your own body, you have to see a virus before you can defeat it.

now see bots as hackers and virusses, this would simply mean that bot will always be there and always be better.

thats why jagex doesnt try to mass counter the bots, they simply cant win, can they:^_^:.

TKD-is-it.png

I think swarms were pretty good. (not as visible as other randoms)

Sleeping was funny, but to insert a ban if you fail × many times?! That goes too far.

Maybe ik you made it that if you spent too long in a random you get teleported somewhere (roaming locations but always safe)

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

you cant make the game bot-proof or bot-free.

its is the same as with hackers, if a hacker is able to hack into playstation than you should expect that sony has the best technicans to counter these hackers.

but the problem is that the hackers are smarter than the engineers that should counter it.

and just like in your own body, you have to see a virus before you can defeat it.

now see bots as hackers and virusses, this would simply mean that bot will always be there and always be better.

thats why jagex doesnt try to mass counter the bots, they simply cant win, can they:^_^:.

A virus gets recognized by the imune system, if a virus transforms it only takes a while for ourselves to find something against it.

We are not able to get rid of all viruses, but luckily those viruses are not well spread among us.

If I compare this to the world of RS, I can say that there is an epidemic right now and we are doomed unless Jagex uses the cure that they can easily acces by just sticking their hands in the medicine box.

My crystal armour idea.

Ahhh, yes...because there's an easy mdeicine for bots.

No one silver bullet will ever beat bots because they all work differently.

They all work the same.... repeat and repeat.

Ask for human interference and they wont work. (well ok some will work because they are monitored by humans but it eliminates 96%)

My crystal armour idea.

Ask for human interference and they wont work. (well ok some will work because they are monitored by humans but it eliminates 96%)

What kind of human interference are you looking at?

Jagex orginally implanted these random events to stop some botters but they've found ways around that.

Anything short of a program that changes all the time is going to be ineffective.

If you're going to code something every week or so - I might see this working but that's

a.) a lot of work for the programmers

b.) going to reduce income for Jagex

capt%20kevin.png

for monster hunting bots, couldnt they just replace the monster with the same name, but different IDs each weekly update - so players still see 'green dragon' but bots see '2455' instead of '2451' then the next week, a new monster called green dragon with the same drops, but called '4432' would be introduced, and so on.

should work for the tzhaar, blue drags, green drag, black demon, avians etc bots.

For Jagex, it's not as simple as just changing a monster's ID.

You'd have to go through every script in RS that references to that id and point it to the new one.

u_r_b_e_x.png

A tip for people who hunt Karamja bots: if someone manages to get away with only a few LP left, be sure to follow them. I've had two bots run from scorpions, only to get killed by the snakes. I would have missed their drops if I hadn't checked.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Sadly this isn't even true anymore. Some programmers have devoted hundreds of hours of time into coding chatbots that can answer all basic questions and reply to greetings and such, and are indistinguishable from the average 10 year old with no respect for the rules of the English language. The larger problem with this is that these are often offered for free for inclusion into anyone's bot - copy and paste are the only skills needed.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

No they don't. You clearly haven't had a good look at bots recently. Most of the good ones have various random actions programmed in regularly, and use a wide variance of patterns at different times. Some will log out, I believe, and log in again to replicate a human so you could set one up on holiday.

They're more complex and better than you would believe. Human interference is also very difficult in a lot of places, for example below daemonheim. Equally public chat can be set to off,, negating that particular issue.

I'm not an efficienado.

for monster hunting bots, couldnt they just replace the monster with the same name, but different IDs each weekly update - so players still see 'green dragon' but bots see '2455' instead of '2451' then the next week, a new monster called green dragon with the same drops, but called '4432' would be introduced, and so on.

should work for the tzhaar, blue drags, green drag, black demon, avians etc bots.

Jagex would have to change the ID's every week, which would be burden on their part.

Also, I'm not 100% sure of the size of bot "development" community (those that don't just use bots, but actually develop the scripts), but I would assume that people would be able to collaborate, maybe even create global ID's for any monster, and then whoever has access could just update that information based on the user collaboration.

w4M8t.png

Jagex would have to change the ID's every week, which would be burden on their part.

Also, I'm not 100% sure of the size of bot "development" community (those that don't just use bots, but actually develop the scripts), but I would assume that people would be able to collaborate, maybe even create global ID's for any monster, and then whoever has access could just update that information based on the user collaboration.

w4M8t.png

Okay: Jagex used to use a captcha system to find bots. All RS bots were able to break captchas shortly afterwards. It doesn't work.

Personally, and I'm a firm believer in this, the only way to catch bots effectively is to add a new random event every update. Let no-one know exactly how the random works, make all randoms give nice or useful rewards, and that way genuine bots will be fooled and broken.

That's the only way, as far as I'm concerned.

For your information, the only type of bot that concerns me is the RWT bot/gold farmer (who might as well be). I don't care about home botting, as that isn't currently a particularly big issue and is used for comparitively small impact to the RS community. As far as I am aware however, there is no way to break the typical home bot-someone who games on a console and looks over every few minutes to check they haven't encountered a random event. If they leave it on overnight, that's a different issue.

You mean the sleeping bags/fatigue?

That is some weak ass CAPTCHA compared to the the industrial stuff like recaptcha today. They were not really hacked either, there was just such a limited number of words that botmakers just solved them all - this will be utterly impossible today if Jagex uses the good stuff. But they were pretty effective - I remember actually having real players inside mining guild and at fishing guild those times. Real people! They were removed because, well, captchas aren't very game-friendly... but they added thise tough randoms to replace them. Unlike now, where there's nothing and all randoms are bot solvable (mostly because the game client's been hacked so badly..)

Recaptcha is actually pretty week. One of the words has already been identified by OCR, which means it can definitely be done again by a bot, and the second word doesn't actually need to be correct.

From Recaptcha's site: "Each new word that cannot be read correctly by OCR is given to a user in conjunction with another word for which the answer is already known. The user is then asked to read both words. If they solve the one for which the answer is known, the system assumes their answer is correct for the new one."

Riqualyn.png

I have heard that jagex is doing almost the same thing to caugh bots. They do this: place for example npc ID from the dragon in chaos tunnel but with opacity = 0% so only bots would try to right click it but humans won't see the dragon because it is invisible.

• 2 weeks later...

That's impressive! Any idea how they did it?

I have always heard that it was impossible to kill ivy bots.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

It took 2 of them about an hour (which is really hard work) but it really needed a third person to continue the hitsplats while the other 2 get more frogs to try and combo him.

It is impossible to do solo, as the health regenerates too fast and the hitsplats go lower and lower, so it is definitely a team effort sort of thing. I wish there was a way to kill bots faster/easier but I suppose the items/reports are the reward in the end :-) the good thing is no legitimate players were harmed in the killing of the bot.

2vuhgcn.png