Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you really care about your weight?

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

marcustullius
[ Display Name History ]

marcustullius

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

I know that's what you're asserting, but why is it that it's not high metabolism? Has there been any known studies that show/prove this?

Get any skinny person who says they can't put on weight even if they try, and get them to eat 3000 calories a day. I can guarantee you they will put on weight 9 times out of 10. Like I said, lots of skinny people overestimate how much they eat and figure they eat a normal amount, so they blame it on a fast metabolism. Or they'll eat a lot of crap that doesn't have any nutritional value, not gain weight, and blame it on metabolism. If they actually counted how many calories they ate in a day regularly, I'm willing to bet you'd see around 1500 calories a day. It's like the skinny person version of "I'm not fat, I just have big bones". They've never actually put the serious effort to track and eat in, so they'll just keep blaming it on metabolism. Hell, even with a high metabolism you can gain weight.

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired

I know that's what you're asserting, but why is it that it's not high metabolism? Has there been any known studies that show/prove this?

Get any skinny person who says they can't put on weight even if they try, and get them to eat 3000 calories a day. I can guarantee you they will put on weight 9 times out of 10. Like I said, lots of skinny people overestimate how much they eat and figure they eat a normal amount, so they blame it on a fast metabolism. Or they'll eat a lot of crap that doesn't have any nutritional value, not gain weight, and blame it on metabolism. If they actually counted how many calories they ate in a day regularly, I'm willing to bet you'd see around 1500 calories a day. It's like the skinny person version of "I'm not fat, I just have big bones". They've never actually put the serious effort to track and eat in, so they'll just keep blaming it on metabolism. Hell, even with a high metabolism you can gain weight.

It's difficult for me to judge whether they will gain weight or not, as I haven't seen it in action, but it mainly depends on what the 3,000 calories are, and how much they exercise. If they're eating extremely high amounts of carbohydrates, it's no doubt that they would put on weight, as it would convert to sugar and fat as it enters the body.

I'm sure they can gain weight, but that's not what my point was. My point was that they 'would have more difficulty in doing so, as their bodies were burning calories at a faster rate'.

Slightly less offtopic: I think I do care about my weight, but if I'm eating healthy and taking enough exercise for my build, then it isn't a significant issue unless I'm quite significantly overweight/underweight, which I'm not. I think I would be slightly above average, at 70kg 5ft 11"

marcustullius
[ Display Name History ]

marcustullius

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 178 posts

It's difficult for me to judge whether they will gain weight or not, as I haven't seen it in action, but it mainly depends on what the 3,000 calories are, and how much they exercise. If they're eating extremely high amounts of carbohydrates, it's no doubt that they would put on weight, as it would convert to sugar and fat as it enters the body.

I'm sure they can gain weight, but that's not what my point was. My point was that they 'would have more difficulty in doing so, as their bodies were burning calories at a faster rate'.

Let's assume a 40/40/20 split of calories, and 3k calories in general is good for putting on weight. I'm disagreeing that their bodies are burning calories at a much faster rate (the posters in this thread), because I highly doubt they actually have a high metabolism.

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts

Let's assume a 40/40/20 split of calories, and 3k calories in general is good for putting on weight. I'm disagreeing that their bodies are burning calories at a faster rate (the posters in this thread), because I highly doubt they actually have a high metabolism.

Perhaps not the people on this thread, but I'm discussing people in general. I'm unsure by what you mean with 40/40/10 split of calories either.

marcustullius
[ Display Name History ]

marcustullius

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 178 posts

Perhaps not the people on this thread, but I'm discussing people in general. I'm unsure by what you mean with 40/40/10 split of calories either.

I've been talking the people in the thread and skinny people in general. If we are talking about people who ACTUALLY have high metabolism, then I agree that they will have a harder time putting on weight. Doesn't mean it's impossible though.

40/40/20 means protein%/fat%/carbs%

Mirror
[ Display Name History ]

Mirror

Use Herring -> Tree

• Members
  • 7,247 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Mirrorforced
I'm definitely overweight. I was born a big baby too (over 10lbs). It depends on the day and the picture I look at that I care about my weight. I'm fine with my self esteem so that's not an issue, but sometimes when I look at a picture, I'm just like "how do I stay active to play sports?" or "what do people see when they see me?" stuff like that.

I mean, I know I need to lose a lot of weight to be at a healthy range, but it's hard for me to get it off. I'm not going to do the Biggest Loser or other fast weight loss stuff, that isn't for me. I just need to eat healthier and exercise more if I wanted to lose weight for some reason. But my girlfriend thinks I'm cuddly, so that's something I've got going for me. ;)
A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

Posted Image

Jeffwilson99
[ Display Name History ]

Jeffwilson99

Sheep love astroturf kiwi fruit sandwiches egg noodles rabbits

• Members
  • 4,232 posts

I'm 6'4 and weight has never really been a huge problem to me, except when I finished school I stopped sport all together, went to England for 5 months and pretty much ate fish and chips the whole time I was there. I knew I was putting on weight but didn't think it was that bad until I got back and my mum started telling me I looked like I had put on too much weight, and my friends told me the same thing. I was only 190 pounds which doesn't seem like that much, and my BMI told me I was normal weight. Anyway, I got back into sport and exercising and started eating a bit better, best thing I've done..Two years later and I'm now 163 pounds of muscle :shades:

Beanpole...
Posted Image

Guest_Rob_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_Rob_
  • Guests
Reading this entire thread makes me feel really skinny. I'm 6", and weight about 143lbs.

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts

Reading this entire thread makes me feel really skinny. I'm 6", and weight about 143lbs.

A majority of RuneScape players are Americans.

champion
[ Display Name History ]

champion

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

I'm 6", and weight about 143lbs.

That is me exactly.

I don't really care about my weight, I've always been just under average so it's never really been a problem for me.

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts

125 lbs, don't care about my weight as long as I keep getting stronger each week from lifting. If I was fat, I'd probably care about my weight, though >_>

Underweight and overweight are just two extremes of the same scale, neither are very desirable. Good that you're putting on though.

It's good to care about weight (within reason), if you don't then you don't care about health. Being 190 pounds isn't exactly unhealthy. If you were like 250...then yeah, be concerned

My weight isn't very "extreme" anymore. If I weighed 105 lbs like I did before I started lifting, I'd consider it extreme. It's much healthier to be underweight than overweight. Underweight people have been shown to live significantly longer w/ many less health problems than overweight people. Another main reason why I eat and lift to get stronger, not to gain weight.

oh, I'm 5'8" if it matters.

77yLQy8.png

marcustullius
[ Display Name History ]

marcustullius

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 178 posts

My weight isn't very "extreme" anymore. If I weighed 105 lbs like I did before I started lifting, I'd consider it extreme. It's much healthier to be underweight than overweight. Underweight people have been shown to live significantly longer w/ many less health problems than overweight people. Another main reason why I eat and lift to get stronger, not to gain weight.

Yeah, I was talking generally when I said under and over are two extremes of the same scale. You might live longer than an overweight person, but that ain't saying much at all. Good to see you're lifting though, and at 5'8" you should look damn good around 150 - 170 with muscle. That's one of the nice things about not being tall

Iamdan
[ Display Name History ]

Iamdan

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,417 posts
Yeah, the bad thing about being 6'4" is it makes me look leaner. That, and everyone goes straight for my legs in mma.

I care about my weight, I'm overweight by bmi but it's mostly muscle. (abs partially showing) Until I got more serious in the gym and started eating 3000 clean calories a day I had big legs from my sprinting days and skinny ass arms, shoulders and chest.

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts

Yeah, I was talking generally when I said under and over are two extremes of the same scale. You might live longer than an overweight person, but that ain't saying much at all. Good to see you're lifting though, and at 5'8" you should look damn good around 150 - 170 with muscle. That's one of the nice things about not being tall

It'll be a very long time before I get to 150-170 probably. I went from 105 lbs to 125 lbs in my first two months of lifting. That was three years ago, I haven't gained a pound since then lol. It's a dilemma I've thought about in the past... I already eat about 5-6 small meals a day, every 3 hours... around 3k calories total per day, and my weight remains the same :P But like I said, I still get stronger every week so I'm not worried about it. I feel that if I were to eat even more every day, I'd definitely gain more weight however my strength would not increase proportionately. My BF% would probably go way up too :(

77yLQy8.png

Iamdan
[ Display Name History ]

Iamdan

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,417 posts
If you're gaining strength but want size raise the reps a tad but keep it below 12.

Orpheus
[ Display Name History ]

Orpheus

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,783 posts
I'm 5'10" and I fluctuate between 165-170 lbs. (Conversion is basically 177 cm/ 77kg)

I don't really feel overweight, in fact I'm quite healthy. I do have a little fat, but otherwise it's not too bad. I can start working it into muscle in about a week or so when I start farm work this year...

A lot of you dudes are ridiculously skinny by comparison and taller. I don't get it.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

blaah
[ Display Name History ]

blaah

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Fluffyzoe64
For a girl, I don't care about my weight much at all. If you look at my diet and lack of routine for exercise, it seems like I'm lucky.

It's been interesting the last couple years with my closest friend when we've looked at weight. A couple years ago, she weighed about 120 pounds, 5'4", in gymnastics. I weighed 138ish, no physical activity regularly, same height. Last year (winter), we both weighed 135 after she gained a lot of muscle, and I became slightly more active, with weight shifting from fat to muscle. Now, I'm at 130 and my body seems to be built better than before (less fat). My friend is at 135 still, some of her muscle has gone away since she quit gymnastics, and she's gained fat to even out her weight. I hope to get back down to 125 or lower this summer like last summer.

Oh, and since I'm a girl with curves and obvious female anatomy, I can't compare myself as well to the guys in this thread. Sorry, if I got rid of my curves, butt, and boobs, maybe I'd weigh a healthy male weight for 5'4".
/FG/First thread post to when I joined the family.
Posted Image
Insert rant here

[img ] CAT [/ img]

Riku3220
[ Display Name History ]

Riku3220

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,800 posts
I'm 6 feet and weigh ~150lbs. The last time I weighed myself was with my clothes on with the heaviest pair of pants I own with my DS Phat, 3DS, cellphone, wallet, and other things in the pockets and I got 164lbs with that.

I don't do any exercises and I only really eat what's out in front of me for meals.
Posted Image

Lose No Hope
[ Display Name History ]

Lose No Hope

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,864 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Lose No Hope
  • Clan:DGS
I'm somewhere between 5'10'' and 5'11'' and weigh 140lb. My metabolism is high and I usually eat between 2000 and 3000 calories a day just to maintain my weight and keep growing. The competitive sports I play and bike rides I take every other day keep me in shape and prevent me from gaining much weight. I'm still growing so I'm trying to eat as much as I can to gain some weight.

It's more of just how my body is built and how active I am for why I weigh what I weigh.

Skull
[ Display Name History ]

Skull

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,790 posts
5'8 and between 130 and 140, depending on how busy I've been. Don't really give a [bleep] though. I've weighed as much as 155 and as little as 120 and honestly didn't care at all. I'd like a little more muscle though.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users