Refer a Friend Programme - 18 Aug 2011

PoorLepRecon

I'll assume since Jagex don't have to follow their own rules, I don't have to either?

unled084.png

Either they are hiring people that haven't read the rules, or they don't give a [cabbage] anymore.

This. I'm not happy with this at all. People are saying it's only 10% but miss out the x2 XP for the person being referred. Sure it won't go beyond level 30, and sure it's limited to five times a year, but this is literally impacting the game play itself. I'm all for the idea someone suggested on the RSOF on the thread that it should've been a cosmetic item at the very worst, or some sort of discount on membership for a month or something, not something that influences the game play. This feels like a cheap gimmick to get more members. And two weeks is too short of a time, in my opinion, for someone to decide if they want to become members or not. Level 30 isn't a good reflection of what the game can really open up to either (and no way am I suggesting the multiplier go beyond level 30; I don't think it should exist at all). To me it feels like I'm asking my friend to pay so that we can get some fast experience. Eh, no, sorry, sounds too much like Real World Trading. >.< The game already has multipliers in place people can work to get: the lumberjack outfit with 2.5%, the mining outfit with 2.5%, and of course the construction outfit for 2.5%, as well as the penance horn (2x) and Stealing Creations (2.0x for Morphic and 2.2x for Volatile) just to name a few. Sorry, but I rather earn my bonuses rather than pay for it and feel like a no-life begging my friends to get members so I can get some bonus experience. Oh yea, sure, you can say "If you don't like it, don't do it," but the whole principle behind this program just feels wrong.

And for those saying it's like WoW: it's not the only game to have this either, and that feels like one of the justifications behind having this released. What attracted me to RuneScape was that it didn't require gimmicks like these to attract players. And with WoW, the only way you can get the bonus experience is if the person is on-line with you in the same area at the same time.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's really no need to get all worked up about something that's been done and can't be undone.

Tell that to everyone who ranted and complained for years after they removed free trade and the wilderness - and that was something they flat out said would never come back.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

This doesn't have any real affect on my playing of the game. I don't agree with the whole idea though. I don't like the thought of a lot of things that have been introduced to the game in recent years that make it easier than it previously was, but in a way I certainly understand them. I understand these type of updates and things can help Jagex pull in more members and such, which I understand is important for them. At the same time though I feel like it discourages many of the old school players who played for years grinding and grinding with none of these type updates to help them a long the way, and now its making it so much easier to gain the levels they grinded so long for, and it probably kinda kills the game for them because the accomplishments they once had means a lot less now. Anyway, eh, I see the advantages for Jagex and obviously some players too. Eh, whatever. Maybe they wont do too much to screw the game up, heh.

Vit0c0rleone.png

I'll assume since Jagex don't have to follow their own rules, I don't have to either?

unled084.png

Either they are hiring people that haven't read the rules, or they don't give a [cabbage] anymore.

qft

and the depseration to extract as much $ from RS until it's dead continues...

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Omg not speeding to level 30! Dear lord, think of the childr...oh wait. They technically are children in game's eyes.

Don't really matter what people say, the updates most likely here to stay.

On a related note, I'm apparently not eligible to refer a friend, likely they have some sort of time period restriction where you can't refer someone before that.

If i ran Jagex i think i'd maximize profit aswell. I'm surprised more money isn't injected into marketing such as commercials, ect.

"One of our fundamental philosophies is that having fun is more important to us than making as much money as possible."

Words Jagex once spoke. They have let players down though.

Vit0c0rleone.png

Realistically, how many people can you actually refer into buying membership these days? Esp. with the free game in such shambles - start a lvl 3 and you can literally not finding a chicken to kill without 20 bots over it. Who on earth can get into RS like this?

All of those who is going to benefit from this are those who have the cash to "refer" themselves - in fact why not "refer" yourself 5 times....

freaking RWT by Jagex.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

If i ran Jagex i think i'd maximize profit aswell. I'm surprised more money isn't injected into marketing such as commercials, ect.

"One of our fundamental philosophies is that having fun is more important to us than making as much money as possible."

It surprised you a company as large as Jagex lied? Hell any politician running for office lies.

Low_C.png

*refers runescape to friend*

wow this game is popular, walks around, trys to attack some stuff. cant even attack a monster before bot does. decides to say hey to the hundreds of other people playing.. noone responds...

well this is boring.. logs out

bllllonz.png

It surprised you a company as large as Jagex lied? Hell any politician running for office lies.

Not so much surprised as I am disappointed.

And yeah, I understand that about politicians. Then again I have a strong dislike for politicians, heh.

Vit0c0rleone.png

lol, private servers are getting more popular.

i think a lot of ppl are switching to those

(i was told of one with 300~ users online at any time)

Private servers are beyond ridiculous. It's like playing on someone else's sandbox. :rolleyes:

This is just another step for Jagex to show their intent to gain money like cash cows.

I've pretty much gave up on Runescape & Jagex. Since I'm no longer a member, this update won't matter to me but

what really bothers me is how much Jagex used to care about bots and rwt becoming an epidemic in

the past. Now all of the sudden, they suddenly don't give a rat's ass about anything. They're looking into

every nook and cranny of how to gain subscribers which pisses me off since they don't need to "cater" to legitimate

players any longer. Their only concern is to care for potential customers to support them since the majority

is what Jagex cares about. It's clear to me that Jagex doesn't need to care about it's loyal players at all. We make

like what? 10% of the total membership? While Bots and newbies make up the rest of the pie and so, this is the reason

of how updates like this come to fruition. To support the majority and at the same time, their business.

So we may "think" they sold out, but in reality, the majority are probably going like :thumbsup: to Jagex for

making their game easier and not realizing the same thoughts as we do.

No big deal. The account needs to subscribe within two weeks for the player to get the 10% bonus, I highly doubt most players will be willing to do that. And if they do, so what? It doesn't affect anyone (except the crybabies who shout "BUT IT MAKES MY STATS LESS MEANINGFUL AND LESS OF AN ACHIEVEMENT")

This is such a disappointment. After yesterdays update, I thought "hell, maybe they can pump out some other updates along these lines and get stronger".... This just makes me think they: a) want more money b) can't continue updates to draw in a crowd or c) both.

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

The only thing jagex gets from this, is the money, but I hope they see that this will lead to the quiting of many people (not me though, I don't care enough, it is a game). If they would stop the refer a friend thing they would at least give the players the idea that not all is lost and they listen to the players (at least a bit). But what I wonder the most is, what is next, I cannot believe this is the biggest they got up with.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I like the idea, minus the xp boost for the "referrer", abusing on the horizon.

Is this a one time thing or can one refer several friends? At least put a cap on that...

My words, but a whisper - your deafness, a shout.

-

If the future's looking dark, we're the ones who have to shine. If there's no one in control, we're the ones who draw the line

-

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand.

I'm surprised that they don't do tv commercials..

tv commercials cost money. [bleep]ing up one of the core principles of your game doesn't.

Well, jagex dont need tv commercials with the new (*cough* and suckish *cough*) Refer a Friend, but its not [bleep]ing up one of the core principals, more people, more fun (atleast thats the idea *cough*)

tomtiger11.png

RIP TET

Click here to go to School & Chat; An awsome forum!

Budding RuneScape Woodcutter | Budding I.R.C Expert | Former Whitewater Police Department Member (Wall Of Fame)

CO2 is bad, and so are bots.

99 Firemaking! 14/03