Refer a Friend Programme - 18 Aug 2011

PoorLepRecon

Anyone also feeling botters and gold farmers will benefit more from this than legit players (I mean what'S left of legit players...)?

They don't benefit at all, that's a silly argument.

Gold farmers do not care about exp. And if people are botting for exp then why would they pay more than they have to? We're assuming they're already getting away with botting, and 10% is not a significant boost.

False. They also make accounts with high stats that they can sell... Also it will allow them to get higher stats quicker in order to bot frosts and other high level activities.. Third: someone people dont bot for just the gold... as evidenced by that one guy who had like 4 200m stats and get reset..

Lastly.. this will also make it slightly harder to spot botters b/c they can take advantage of the 2x xp to level up some combat levels

Donate to S_U__O__M_I !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone also feeling botters and gold farmers will benefit more from this than legit players (I mean what'S left of legit players...)?

They don't benefit at all, that's a silly argument.

Gold farmers do not care about exp. And if people are botting for exp then why would they pay more than they have to? We're assuming they're already getting away with botting, and 10% is not a significant boost.

You are under the impression that botters are all lvl 99 in all skills and wouldn't benefit from bonus xp..hence faster levels and faster gold. This is definitely not a silly argument. When I say they will benefit more, is because gold farmers use many accounts, making them more prone to have to create new accounts and use the refer system.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

People are complaining, but only about people abusing it. So who is actually to blame for it not being good, Jagex, or the players in the community who will abuse it?

Both, but there's more negativity towards Jagex than the players.

It's not like anyone was really going, "I'm not telling my friends about runescape because I don't get anything for it"

That isn't the point though. People could have an endless number of reasons for not telling a friend about Runescape. It is perfectly logical to implement a referral system. Anybody thinking otherwise is basically deluded. It's another case of Jagex being a big business and needing to do everything they can to create new accounts. This isn't 2004 any more, they cannot sit back and do nothing letting straight word of mouth to carry the game. Runescapes bubble burst years ago and if Jagex don't do this sort of thing, even if the players will abuse it, Runescape will stagnate.

The blame for any abuse or negativity should be laid squarely at the feet of the players who want to abuse the system. It is there to aid keeping the game afloat, but most don't see that and just care about their exp and other people's exp.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

False. They also make accounts with high stats that they can sell... Also it will allow them to get higher stats quicker in order to bot frosts and other high level activities.. Third: someone people dont bot for just the gold... as evidenced by that one guy who had like 4 200m stats and get reset..

Gold farmers farm in game products for the goal of selling cash, not accounts. There's more profit in the former than the latter. And spending money to make money might work in the stock market but if you're spending 30$ to bot your account to maxed combat only to sell it for just over 80, you're not exactly making a lot of money.e

And if someone is botting for personal goals, they gain more benefit from leaving a botting program on overnight than they do paying 6$ for an extra 10% boost. In fact, I can't think of anyone trying to stay under the radar willingly wanting to get an extra 10% gains to his daily exp and make his red flag that much bigger.

hzvjpwS.gif

I understand your point Kimberly. I just think there are more opportunities for botters to use this system than legit players and that bonus xp, means faster gold in the end.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

I like how they mention you can refer yourself. Makes it very blatant what they're trying to do.

Plus they encourage you to pull the cracker with the player that invited you. What happened to the multiple login rule?

For years I've always operated under the impression that, if the accounts do not interact at all meaning they definitely are not on the same world, then it is no problem. Encountered plenty of people who thought that way also - and others who just go ahead and do it anyway.

Using the cracker on your pure is an invitation to breaking your "multiple login rule."

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

It is perfectly logical to implement a referral system. Anybody thinking otherwise is basically deluded.

No one said that a referral system was bad. Saying that people are deluded because they disagree with you doesn't give your argument any strength.

The blame for any abuse or negativity should be laid squarely at the feet of the players who want to abuse the system. It is there to aid keeping the game afloat, but most don't see that and just care about their exp and other people's exp.

You say this program is to keep the game afloat, but if it's designed in such a way that its major incentive provokes its already existing stream of revenue to use it for themselves, no growth is achieved. If no growth is achieved then this program has failed in its purpose. And if it's released, knowing that it will ultimately fail in its purpose because of the type of rewards offered, then there must be a different reason for releasing it in its current state rather than reworking it to an acceptable compromise.

Tell me what that other reason is Danq.

I understand your point Kimberly. I just think there are more opportunities for botters to use this system than legit players and that bonus xp, means faster gold in the end.

I'm always used to thinking of botters as already at the required levels needed to start abusing the systems. It's hard to imagine otherwise, since the levels are so low to even simply go to Green Dragons. But you're right, when you put it in that perspective, it gets them to their halfway mark 10% faster than normal, which I guess would outweigh the cost of 6$ of membership. Fair point, thanks for that change of perspective. Don't get to have that often! :D

hzvjpwS.gif

Wow this might aswell be a microtransaction, spend £3.50 for +10% xp for a week, this is ridiculous what were they thinking, stuff like this makes people quit, still I guess jagex don't care they'll be getting more money and an influx of noobs

Bbk.png

No one said that a referral system was bad. Saying that people are deluded because they disagree with you doesn't give your argument any strength.

You say this program is to keep the game afloat, but if it's designed in such a way that its major incentive provokes its already existing stream of revenue to use it for themselves, no growth is achieved. If no growth is achieved then this program has failed in its purpose. And if it's released, knowing that it will ultimately fail in its purpose because of the type of rewards offered, then there must be a different reason for releasing it in its current state rather than reworking it to an acceptable compromise.

Tell me what that other reason is Danq.

Just because a system is allowed to be used by a single person, it doesn't mean that it is it's only use. I can guarantee it will bring some new users into the game, and there are probably many which have already been used.

If some users will abuse it, it doesn't mean that it has ultimately failed too. I'm not saying it is perfect, or that is couldn't be reworked to be better, as the exp boosts do seem excessive, but many comments seem to think that any referral system at all is selling out and a bad thing. Personally, I think a small starter kit consisting of extra gold, runes, items etc would be a much better way of going with it.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Just because a system is allowed to be used by a single person, it doesn't mean that it is it's only use. I can guarantee it will bring some new users into the game, and there are probably many which have already been used.

If some users will abuse it, it doesn't mean that it has ultimately failed too. I'm not saying it is perfect, or that is couldn't be reworked to be better, as the exp boosts do seem excessive, but many comments seem to think that any referral system at all is selling out and a bad thing. Personally, I think a small starter kit consisting of extra gold, runes, items etc would be a much better way of going with it.

Get rid of the experience booster for the referrer. Put in points for the existing loyalty programme instead. That'll fix the idea.

EDIT: The referral system is not at fault, get that idea straight. It's the boosters that are a problem.

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Get rid of the experience booster for the referrer. Put in points for the existing loyalty programme instead. That'll fix the idea.

EDIT: The referral system is not at fault, get that idea straight. It's the boosters that are a problem.

I think removing the bonus xp in favor of loyalty points is a great idea. I would be for that.

floorgazer.png

please replace bonus xp weekend, please replace bonus xp weekend *fingers crossed*

Novite_Mike.png

The corp beast, is, well, just a corp beast. He doesnt even have any friends.

[spoiler=Other Quotes]tbh idk why this makes me laugh so hard

All DFS threads turn into efficiency flame wars >.>

>OP asks "why use DFS?"

>everyone says "there is no reason"

>someone says "stop bashing people who use DFS, efficiency troll ass clown"

>thread is now a flame fest

I think removing the bonus xp in favor of loyalty points is a great idea. I would be for that.

Go pass it on then. It supports an already borderline microtransaction system in my eyes, but hey, might as well make the "loyalty" in the name appear to count.

1emk2e.png

Spend £3.50 while training 70-96 summoning? Hell yes. That's almost 1m extra summoning experience without any extra charms. (And a fair bit of money saved on secondaries, too.)

I think it's an awful shame that jagex have sunk this low, this is basically a microtransaction, does that mean i'm not going to abuse it? No. I'm going to make the best of it.

CNqWHdA.jpg

I agree with this. :D

Being able to buy your way to the top has stopped me playing or trying other MMO's that I'd be interested in - unfortunately this looks like the start of more to come. A loyalty system is a good idea but not when they offer massive in game benefits (albeit being 5 times a year).

imagangster.png

@ Kimberly, no problem! Everyone should enter an argument with an open mind and be ready to change his/her opinion based on facts and perspectives previously unknown. Nice to have two ways discussions instead of the usual "I'm right, you're wrong" sparring I usually see on discussion boards.

langerkiller.png

Been thinking about those who sell membership pins for gold. Say a customer wants to buy the boost. He refers the pin seller in return for his gold, a straightforward enough fair exchange. The buyer gets his boost without the hassle of a friend while the seller recoups the membership cost with the guy's gold well as the perks that come with the new account, which he can then sell immediately to a farmer for a profit.

1emk2e.png

I don't see a problem with this. Sure, for some they might be "destroying" the game, but they're doing what every business sets out to do best: MAKE PROFIT. Show me a competitive business that's going to say no to making a few easy, extra buck and i'll show you a business run by people with their heads up their asses.

Regardless, the game has become easy enough as it is. Rules used to be that no player under the age of 12 was allowed to play. Sadly, i am getting the feeling, that Jagex only caters for people under the ages of 12 with updates like these. Spoon-feeding and such. Pretty soon we'll be able to buy Exp Packs, Armour Packs, etc. It's going to become a battle of the richest. So dust off those credit cards and get ready.

This is [bleep]ing stupid. [bleep] you Jagex, you dirty bunch of sellouts.

^

At any rate... Changed my choice of Mod to grill to Nexus on that thread, and also I have the overwhelming urge to buy a train ticket to Cambridge, kick down the doors of Jagex HQ and throttle Nexus....

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

It's really like Jagex is admitting defeat/sluggish membership numbers with this latest promotion.

I don't mean subtly, like the auras or the horrible katana fiasco.

I mean waving-a-white-t-shirt-and-shouting-at-the-top-of-their-lungs admittance of defeat.

This is [bleep]ing stupid. [bleep] you Jagex, you dirty bunch of sellouts.

pretty much sums up my thoughts. [bleep]ing jagex.

UZp6G.png

32,606th to 99 magic || 15,388th to 99 dungeoneering || 12,647th to 99 farming

14,792nd to 99 range || 24,954th to 99 herblore