Refer a Friend Programme - 18 Aug 2011

PoorLepRecon

This is genuinely pathetic. There is NO NEED FOR A NEW F2P PLAYER TO SUBSCRIBE WITHIN 2 WEEKS. You've barely scratched the surface of F2P... it's pointless and Jagex are simply pushing and pushing for new members.

How low can they get, really? How low... I'm shocked and appalled.

This, took me 2 years to finally get members.

Same with me. Its not something I feel you just jump right in to. But with the number of bots nowadays in f2p.... its a convenient excuse.

Screenshot2011-08-18at14818PM-1.png

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it. Why are so many people so overly pissed about this? Now maybe it's just because i come from a country where corruption was as common as the daily newspaper, and where people were so starved for money that they would kill someone for less that a buck, but can't anyone else see that Jagex is just another company doing whatever they can do net as much profit as they can? Sure, we are the "consumers" and they have to keep us "happy", but we're all old enough to know that there really isn't such a thing. There's really no need to get all worked up about something that's been done and can't be undone. And whining about something but continuing to use it doesn't really make Jagex pathetic, it makes you pathetic and it kind of makes you look foolish too. These kind of updates should really be placed in the Rants sub-forum because this is all it is. A whole lot of people crying, [bleep]ing, moaning and whining.

[hide]

If I was a betting woman -- and I am not -- I'd wager that you're not far from the truth here.

My own theory, which is mine, and what it is too, is along these lines, namely:

[bly's Theory]

The powers that be, i.e. those that currently own and operate Jagex, intend to sell "Runescape", in the not too distant future to a third party purchaser, and as a result, the more "active memberships" that the game maintains, the more "valuable" the game is in terms of final sale value.[/bly's Theory]

That is my theory, and what it is too, and it's mine.

Either way, have you any inkling of who the line-up of prospective buyers might be?

Off-hand? No. I'm not close enough to the ground to know, for sure, who would be looking to this kind of purchase.

There's a fair number of game manufacturers -- not to mention media empires -- who are all chomping at the bit to own a "highly successful" MMORPG.

That said, I've been lobbing this theory out there since Jagex rigged set up the vote to return the Wildy and Free Trade into the game. All these little nudges and winks speak to me of an impending sale -- or at least a desire to sell -- of the Runescape franchise.

:unsure:

That is amazingly possible, and makes more sense the more I read it. That will be interesting.

[/hide]

Extremely interesting, in fact.

I don't really see them selling Runescape tbh. Investors fully bought Jagex just 6 months ago and right now, it's generating them a nice profit, so why sell it now? My theory is milking the cash out of it while it lasts and selling the rest when it's gone downhill.

So basically you can buy 10% xp boost five weeks out of the year now. Cool.

Yup.

Since efficiency debates reign over Tip.It: Will this new update help lower the cost of electricity for bot companies? And thus help counter global warming??

Considering bots run 24 h/day and run 7 days/week. This gives a total of 168 hours/week.

For an existing bot (10% extra) this means a productivity increase of 16,8 hours and for a new bot (100% extra) this gives a productivity increase of a whopping 168 hours! Meaning 184,8 hours less per week on two accounts to gain the same xp!!

(More xp gained per computer will also also mean less computers needed in total for the same result!)

I do online surveys to get checks sent to my house. I think I'll put them towards getting myself a referral and getting a pack yak.

>this is my not freaking out face

[hide]FEhZ0.png[/hide]

>work in progress

P.S. Thanks for redirecting me to the FAQ instead of just answering my question outright and not sounding like a condescending snob.

You're welcome.

Really? Why greentext on tif?

qs2X.png

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

I don't get it. Why are so many people so overly pissed about this? Now maybe it's just because i come from a country where corruption was as common as the daily newspaper, and where people were so starved for money that they would kill someone for less that a buck, but can't anyone else see that Jagex is just another company doing whatever they can do net as much profit as they can? Sure, we are the "consumers" and they have to keep us "happy", but we're all old enough to know that there really isn't such a thing. There's really no need to get all worked up about something that's been done and can't be undone. And whining about something but continuing to use it doesn't really make Jagex pathetic, it makes you pathetic and it kind of makes you look foolish too. These kind of updates should really be placed in the Rants sub-forum because this is all it is. A whole lot of people crying, [bleep]ing, moaning and whining.

For a long time in Runescape, you couldn't buy bonus xp with money. They're changing that step by step and this was a big one.

Now, I won't quit about this because I play this game for penguins and quests, not for competing on the highscores, but I still find it highly disappointing. There was a time when Jagex really honored its name "Just about the Game experience". Nowadays it doesn't anymore. Yes, every other game company does that too - but that's what was refreshing about Jagex, what made them good and likeable.

I'll assume since Jagex don't have to follow their own rules, I don't have to either?

unled084.png

Either they are hiring people that haven't read the rules, or they don't give a [cabbage] anymore.

I laugh at the irony of people rioting using auto typers.

Also, knowing they won't achieve anything is funny.

Well, well, well. With the ones in charge, of course nothing will happen. Nothing positive, at least.

Day before:

It's certainly one storm in the teacup right after the other.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Anybody else notice that they are using updates to attempt to (poorly) hide some of these changes? I mean, the katana was just slipped underneath one update, and this one comes on the tail of what might have been the last chance for them to have redeemed themselves this year.

8f14270694.jpg

Anybody else notice that they are using updates to attempt to (poorly) hide some of these changes? I mean, the katana was just slipped underneath one update, and this one comes on the tail of what might have been the last chance for them to have redeemed themselves this year.

It's been like that for a while now.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

I laugh at the irony of people rioting using auto typers.

Also, knowing they won't achieve anything is funny.

Well, well, well. With the ones in charge, of course nothing will happen. Nothing positive, at least.

Day before:

It's certainly one storm in the teacup right after the other.

That video made me sad. :(

Wow, what a cashgrab. I mean, I was kind of thinking with the Temple Trekking update that, maybe, just maybe, they actually cared more about their integrity and their game rather than the revenues from it. I am saddened to find out that I was horribly, horribly wrong.

a70c7.png

Good Refer a Friend Program - Receive 10% off your next month's subscription, or 10% more days if you use cards.

Bad Refer a Friend Program - gain something in game.

Good Referred Program - Receive access to some new and exciting crap that is useful to no-one but new accounts

Bad Referred Program - Receive double experience to cheapen your time here.

Anyone else feel like this'll make the bots happen faster? Seriously, it's cutting the time they spend in anything but addy in half.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Brilliant new bot strategy by Jagex, run all legit players off = no more bot complaints.

I cba with runescape anymore. If they want to run rs into the ground or bulk it up so they can sell then they are welcome to do that, but I won't be paying them for it. I was wavering on quitting this morning after getting more info on the Jiblix situation and then they start selling xp...

Adios, It's been fun.