15-Nov-2011 - Breaking Dicing

Carl

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spamming, buying ranks, scamming, pmods muting from rival dice ccs, spam pms advertising dicing ccs, etc wasn't affecting the game? And most of the scamming was under the guise of something legitimate, unlike trimming.

I'd concede spamming if the ignore list didn't exist.

How does buying ranks ruin the game?

Scamming has always existed, much like luring and other underhanded methods of acquiring goods. Removing a feature because of a few rotten apples is not a good policy to adopt.

I'd concede spam pms if there wasn't an ignore list or a friends only functionality for pms.

Sure, spamming might affect you in some way until you add them to the ignore list, but I'd hardly call it... what did you say? "ruining the game"

Stop being overly dramatic.

crossed_body.png

People Mad: Dice hosts, Addicts

People Happy: Poor people, people unconvinced of the trustworthiness of some dicers

People who don't care: Smart

I was a host in a dice clan, but this doesn't really bug me. The clan I bought a rank in wasn't too great (It's been linked to twice in this thread). I never even broke even off the rank. Oh well. All the clans have already moved on to using the Skullballs or whatever, and when those get removed, they will move onto something else.

You either stop all gambling or you stop none of it, and if you stop all of it, then it's the start of 2007 all over again.

I'm happy it's been removed. I'm not poor, nor unconvinced of trustworthiness of certain people. I wasn't happy with the direction the game/community was going. This will halt it, even if only for a few days.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Duel Arena is more like poker. Yes, there's luck at its core, but how you actually profit on average depends on personal skill. Dicing is simple and requires no skill, and thus devalues the game. I think that's the difference here.

Poker is still gambling, and that was the argument Jagex presented. Whether it requires skill or not is irrelevant, and that wasn't the excuse they used.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about the arguments Jagex presents. I don't think dicing should be a part of the game because all profitable parts of the game should require a certain amount of skill or perseverance. It's the exact same reason why I don't agree with bots.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

To be honest, I couldn't care less about the arguments Jagex presents.

That's fine. I do, and that's why I'm mildly bothered by their explanation. I thought they were going to be more communicative with the community, but it seems they still like to beat around the bush.

I don't even gamble.

crossed_body.png

Spamming, buying ranks, scamming, pmods muting from rival dice ccs, spam pms advertising dicing ccs, etc wasn't affecting the game? And most of the scamming was under the guise of something legitimate, unlike trimming.

I'd concede spamming if the ignore list didn't exist.

How does buying ranks ruin the game?

Scamming has always existed, much like luring and other underhanded methods of acquiring goods. Removing a feature because of a few rotten apples is not a good policy to adopt.

I'd concede spam pms if there wasn't an ignore list or a friends only functionality for pms.

Sure, spamming might affect you in some way until you add them to the ignore list, but I'd hardly call it... what did you say? "ruining the game"

Stop being overly dramatic.

Of course, I guess I could just ignore the problem. Ignore every annoying dicer on every world. Ignore a huge cause of scamming in this game.

Well, I guess this is what I get for discussing things with a dicer. Good luck making money legitimately I guess.

EDIT: Unless you are arguing for the sake of arguing. Or pointing out Jagex contradictions for the sake of pointing them out. Whatever floats your boat.

Glad my friends could make their billions while dicing was available. I was never the sort for gambling though. If I did, it would simply be on the gamble of mass buying and selling items.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Holy crap! Two major problems dealt with in as many months. :o Well done, Jagex. Well done. =D>

And now another major issue gets announced the very same day. I angrily retract my previous statement. :angry:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Finally. Now maybe all those rich lazy bastards will work for their money. I'm not (only) being judgemental; the fact that so many people could make money and produce no resources kinda hurts the economy. Now with dicing gone, maybe there will be more people actually contibuting to the market.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

the fact that so many people could make money and produce no resources kinda hurts the economy.

But that's wrong. It only relocates money, it doesn't affect the economy. One could argue that without this, they will turn to gathering resources, but merchanting has always been a prominent factor on deciding player wealth (merely relocating player wealth, just like dicing), and I doubt dicers will attempt to grow fortunes by fishing or woodcutting.

crossed_body.png

September: I Diced for money -> got 95 prayer.

September: I Diced for more -> got 96 herb

October: I Diced Again-> got 99 herb

October: I Diced more -> got 99 prayer

Early November: Diced more -> got santa and all the gear I need

Now: Jagex Removes dice.

Now: I lol'd

I have no problem with in-game gambling. Staking is just as bad as dicing and you can get scammed just as easily there too (so many bugs tbh).

If they implemented an in-game texas holdem table in brimhaven hosted by npc pirates id probably play there and do nothing else lol.

On the other hand im glad Jagex is cleaning everything up. One thing that bugged me was how so many kids felt the need the talk like illiterate inner-city crack dealers when they'd host.

"I roll dis dice fo yo geepee's ya dig?" #-o

nashv.png

Pixel Signature Made By Me.

Duel Arena is more like poker. Yes, there's luck at its core, but how you actually profit on average depends on personal skill. Dicing is simple and requires no skill, and thus devalues the game. I think that's the difference here.

Poker is still gambling, and that was the argument Jagex presented. Whether it requires skill or not is irrelevant, and that wasn't the excuse they used.

Relevant Wikipedia link.

Poker has elements of chance but so do lots of games. The question is, do you consider it gambling if it's possible to profit given a large enough number of games? For poker and staking, yes, you can profit reliably long-term, for dicing, no (if not hosting).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Well damn, I really didn't expect this one. Now the only thing left is to change back the dragon scimitar, longsword and 2H graphics and I have nothing to complain about :)

Now I'll finally be able to use the GE without being pestered by dicers.

hzyi3.gif

Thanks to Iglw for the amazing signature!

Dicing is worse than the Duel Arena because staking doesn't lure in gullible noobs--regardless of the reality, staking is perceived as requiring skill, so players who aren't confident in their skill don't stake. But dicing gives everyone equal odds, which makes it attractive to a different kind of player.

Now I'll finally be able to use the GE without being pestered by dicers.

I have to admit, this is definitely a bonus. Dicers have been some of the most annoying spammers I have ever seen.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

So we can stake... But they can't add an option to dice where the host has to pay out because we shouldn't gamble. Awesome logic Jagex. Pure genius on your part.

Inb4flowergame.

Finally. Now maybe all those rich lazy bastards will work for their money. I'm not (only) being judgemental; the fact that so many people could make money and produce no resources kinda hurts the economy. Now with dicing gone, maybe there will be more people actually contibuting to the market.

Sorry... But I had to LOL.

09144a99bb.png