Squeal of Fortune + Buyable Spins

Logdotzip

In all likelihood Jagex shot itself in the foot thanks to its legal proceedings. I'm sure in those court transcripts Jagex equated real world value to things such as GP or Experience or Items. As such, they argued there's inherent value to items in RuneScape, even if they don't like that value to be cashed in by other players or entities. Combine that with this update, and I think a smart district attorney can argue this is gambling using Jagex's own definition in addition to a state or country in question.

I do not like this update. Loyalty rewards I backed as that was rewarding consistent membership which I argued should have been a condition for higher trade limits during the trade lockdown. This is just selling a predictable chance pattern with rare items tossed in. Now someone wearing a face tattoo could either be very lucky, or had a lot of real world cash lying around.

At the very least, I hope Jagex makes this pseudo tedious to use. In other words, you have to always put in your credit card information. I'm not stupid enough to click "remember cc details" on my daughter's account, but I wouldn't doubt some parents are that stupid. This is a special news report waiting to happen: "Tonight, a very special report: Kids spent thousands of dollars in one month on a game advertised as 'free'. The owners claim it's not gambling, but wait to you see it in action"

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the idea of adding free spins to various minigame and stuff. It would be a good way of getting lesser used content more active but the buying of spins is a big mistake. I hope Jagex reconsider. That's bullshit about it not being gambling because you "win" every time. Yeah because 1 tin ore is comparable to a divine sheild...

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

This is a special news report waiting to happen: "Tonight, a very special report: Kids spent thousands of dollars in one month on a game advertised as 'free'. The owners claim it's not gambling, but wait to you see it in action"

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/02/10/children-are-spending-thousands-dollars-on-in-app-purchases-ftc/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020706073.html

Over the winter break from school, 8-year-old Madison worked to dress up her simple mushroom home on the iPhone game Smurfs' Village. In doing so, she also amassed a $1,400 bill from Apple.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Just confirming that trying to buy spins DOES come up with any saved Credit/Debit cards associated with your account, and requires no additional details to be entered.

However, you can delete cards associated with your account so in the event your account were compromised that can't freely spend your money on Spins. My understanding is that this doesn't affect repeat membership transactions, so I would suggest that everyone does it.

A nerf in xp wont stop stupid people spending thousands on spins. A better nerf would be TO REMOVE THE ABILITY TO BUY SPINS! Or at the very least limit the number of spins per month.

Just confirming that trying to buy spins DOES come up with any saved Credit/Debit cards associated with your account, and requires no additional details to be entered.

However, you can delete cards associated with your account so in the event your account were compromised that can't freely spend your money on Spins. My understanding is that this doesn't affect repeat membership transactions, so I would suggest that everyone does it.

If your account was compromised and they changed the password how would you remove the linked cards?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"Let's charge players to try and win awesome prizes, when chances are the best they'll get is 30 50gp wins TRLOLOLOLOOLLLLLLOOOOOOOLLLL-"

Seriously, this is downright pathetic and 110% promotes gambling, and because I'm an idiot and a total arse, I will buy the 75 spins this thursday on my pay, document EVERY win, just to prove how much of a farce this is even more-so.

Popoto.~<3

Maybe that's their plan? Leave the 75 spins option for a few days while everyone documents how rubbish it is then they remove it and say it was a mistake and sit there laughing at the huge chunk of extra cash that game in at the start of the financial year

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

If your account was compromised and they changed the password how would you remove the linked cards?

You can't, you have to be logged in. Best to do it preemptively.

/start;

I haz sum money left over, after I have payed all my bills and monthly fee's

What 99 skills do you guys advice me to BUY for the 2500$+ I have left?

/end;sarcasm

| 99 Attack | 99 Strength | 99 Defence | 99 Hit Points | 99 Prayer | 99 Magic | 99 Summoning | 99 Ranging |
| 99 Agility| 99 Woodcutting | 99 Construction | 99 Fletching | 99 Herblore | 99 Runecrafting | 99 Thieving |
| 99 Firemaking | 99 Crafting | 99 Runecrafting | 99 Cooking| 99 Smithing | 99 Construction | 99 Fishing |
| 99 Hunter | 99 Farming | 99 Slayer |  Divination 99 | 115+ Dungeoneering |

Total Level: 2590+
Max Cape - Owner

It's no different really then Zynga's business model or any other of the mobile phone games, which you can spend unlimited amount of money to advance yourself further in game.

Expect more of this to come as it is the future <unfortunatly>

Quit Runescape 10 jan 2007 - Playing again 2012

Ronnyuk.png

4842295.png

I somehow guessed there would be a Grindscape comic about this already. Sums up my thoughts well, and probably everyone else's too.

http://grindscapecomic.com/ (lots of swearing in the picture. can't link straight to the comic because the link is censored.)

Jmod logic. <_<

kdwQd.png

Oh for pete's sake. That's not right at all. It's like saying Deal or No Deal isn't gambling because the least you could get would be the penny in the box. A loss is a relative term, wherein you end up with a reduced value in the things you own than you did before you played the game. 50gp is a loss, a Lucky Divine Spirit Shield is a win. This is not a negotiable statement.

I've never seriously considered my future with this game, but now I am.

EDIT: Fixed topic title.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

50gp is a loss, a Lucky Divine Spirit Shield is a win. This is not a negotiable statement.

Except in deal or no deal, you actually have an offer [say, 50k] already on the table. This, you start with nothing.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

50gp is a loss, a Lucky Divine Spirit Shield is a win. This is not a negotiable statement.

Except in deal or no deal, you actually have an offer [say, 50k] already on the table. This, you start with nothing.

This, you start with the real world money you paid into buying the tickets.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

In all likelihood Jagex shot itself in the foot thanks to its legal proceedings. I'm sure in those court transcripts Jagex equated real world value to things such as GP or Experience or Items. As such, they argued there's inherent value to items in RuneScape, even if they don't like that value to be cashed in by other players or entities. Combine that with this update, and I think a smart district attorney can argue this is gambling using Jagex's own definition in addition to a state or country in question.

I do not like this update. Loyalty rewards I backed as that was rewarding consistent membership which I argued should have been a condition for higher trade limits during the trade lockdown. This is just selling a predictable chance pattern with rare items tossed in. Now someone wearing a face tattoo could either be very lucky, or had a lot of real world cash lying around.

At the very least, I hope Jagex makes this pseudo tedious to use. In other words, you have to always put in your credit card information. I'm not stupid enough to click "remember cc details" on my daughter's account, but I wouldn't doubt some parents are that stupid. This is a special news report waiting to happen: "Tonight, a very special report: Kids spent thousands of dollars in one month on a game advertised as 'free'. The owners claim it's not gambling, but wait to you see it in action"

+1 to this...

But people are forgetting a small but crucial piece of the puzzle here...

Something I'll save for the Times article thats coming up on this issue...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Jmod logic. <_<

kdwQd.png

Oh for pete's sake. That's not right at all. It's like saying Deal or No Deal isn't gambling because the least you could get would be the penny in the box. A loss is a relative term, wherein you end up with a reduced value in the things you own than you did before you played the game. 50gp is a loss, a Lucky Divine Spirit Shield is a win. This is not a negotiable statement.

I've never seriously considered my future with this game, but now I am.

EDIT: Fixed topic title.

What's the big deal, noone is forcing you to buy spins, and by the looks of things they are pretty useless anyway, plus you get 2 free per day and some free drops, it's all good as far as I can see.

Ronnyuk.png

4842295.png

This, you start with the real world money you paid into buying the tickets.

You are purchasing spins. You aren't spending money w/the POSSIBILITY of winning spins. It's a transaction. You pay, they provide with goods.

Gambling, on the other hand, says that you pay and you MIGHT get the spins (and I'm not talking about the bonus spins, I'm talking a spin at all) but might not - and lets face it, with gambling, more often that not, it's the latter option.

MICROTRANSACTION? Sure

Gambling? Very, very, very sketchy at best trying to form an argument to support it.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Wonder how rare the spins are as a drop from monsters and do higher level enemies drop them more often?

I have just killed 200+ Elves and still no drop yet :( I only play RS to do clue scrolls so will let you know if I get a drop lol

Ronnyuk.png

4842295.png