06-June-2012 : Fish Flingers Improvements + Squeal of Neptune

Entering the 2nd Year of the Boycott

Wat

(I get that you can go F2P as a form of boycott, but it wouldn't be very effective, and it kinda ruins the "Time Saved" bit of that siggy if you're still playing at all.)

I log on once or twice a week just to keep the account active and to thwart any little e-thugs from trying to recover an inactive account. I no longer play the game in any meaningful way.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yay, the cancer has finally entered stage 4.

I like this analogy.

As someone who recognizes the serious nature of cancer, I don't like the over the top and frankly immature analogies the RuneScape community is prone to making. Why not make a hitler reference while you're at it? "oh man hiding from Jagex's cash shop, now I know how Anne Frank felt."

We're going to have to start paying extra for membership to cover Jagex's gas bill

I just realized something. (Probably rather late compared to others. :P)

Since Jagex are suddenly ok with tradable rares now, does that mean future holiday items will all be tradable? I'd almost guess no since it doesn't get them extra money unless f2p players subscribe to get both the rewards.

I like this analogy.

As someone who recognizes the serious nature of cancer, I don't like the over the top and frankly immature analogies the RuneScape community is prone to making. Why not make a hitler reference while you're at it? "oh man hiding from Jagex's cash shop, now I know how Anne Frank felt."

Sorry officer, I didnt have my approved book of allowed analogies at hand. Thank you for alerting me to how hurting human feelings stops accurate technical descriptions of things from being accurate. The next time someone decides to describe something as a trainwreck I'll be sure to alert them to stop hurting peoples feelings lest what theyre describing might retroactively happen in a completely non-catastrophic way, think of the paradoxes that could result!

Since Jagex are suddenly ok with tradable rares now, does that mean future holiday items will all be tradable? I'd almost guess no since it doesn't get them extra money unless f2p players subscribe to get both the rewards.

Most probably no. They're free to get, so why make them tradeable? It would also mean lots of people would get them instead of buying spins for SoF rares.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I can see that happening....

"Win a H'ween party ticket from the SoF this week! If you're feeling unlucky, don't worry! Just buy it from nother player, or buy 75 spins and get it free! This ticket allows entrance to this year's h'ween event, as well a a special party bag containing sweets and [insert another soon-to-be-released "rare" here] which will be discontinued afterwards, get it while you can, and enjoy the party!"

I should sell these adverts to Jagex, not far off their current ones. :rolleyes:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

One thing they may do is have split f2p and p2p items like they have recently and make the p2p item tradable to encourage f2p to subscribe.

Trying is just the first step in failure.

Fire_God.png

could be the anti-SoF theme song.

I thought that this one was more appropriate...

Aptly describes Jagex...

CLICKY

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I like this analogy.

We're going to have to start paying extra for membership to cover Jagex's gas bill

I did Nazi that one coming.

*runs*

Really though, the increasing pervasiveness of the Wheel of Greed is quite concerning. It really makes you wonder if selling GP isn't right around the corner.

Also, they missed a GREAT gold sink opportunity with this wheel. If they had made it, say, 50k gp to buy one spin... Quite a few people would have done that. But of course, that wouldn't make Jagex any money.

td2sig.jpg

It really makes you wonder if selling GP isn't right around the corner.

I for one would prefer if they stopped sidestepping the issue and just sold GP. It's honestly better than the current system (But then, finding a dead mouse in your cereal is also better than the current system).

Imagine if they made holiday items retroactively tradeable (and obviously so you couldn't re-retrieve them from Diango). With my Yo-yo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC-wMcWv2_w

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Imagine if they made holiday items retroactively tradeable (and obviously so you couldn't re-retrieve them from Diango). With my Yo-yo:

Brb, moving all my items from Diango to bank. :P

If they did that, I imagine they'd let you retrieve them one last time if they weren't already in your inventory. If anything, it may be a good time to try and duplicate your items old enough to "drop." Get a few so you can sell them if Jagex DOES do it.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

If they did that, I imagine they'd let you retrieve them one last time if they weren't already in your inventory. If anything, it may be a good time to try and duplicate your items old enough to "drop." Get a few so you can sell them if Jagex DOES do it.

They do stupid stuff, yes. But not THAT stupid. :unsure:

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Logged on today for the first time since the update. Got the fish mask on my first spin >_>

I've got three accounts, and it's only shown up once on the wheel for me all week. :wall:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I got 2 masks with my 8 saved spins. Still think it's ugly.

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

Against my better judgement, I decided to drop $200 and try to see what I could get for 900 spins. Since this is likely a one time thing for me, I wanted to be as detailed as possible in what I could get. Some items I could not track as I already had the items (gems, law runes, gold ore) but that should be minor. I put all the lamps toward agility (I think I was at level 72). I have a feeling that the rare results were skewed thanks to the Ceremonial Queen outfit as the last 300 spins had 7 rare pop up (mostly 200k gp). Here are the results:

900 Spins

------------

Common: 695

Uncomm: 265

Rare: 9

V.Rare: 1

Double Spin: 35

Common Lamp: 194 (104 any)

Uncomm Lamp: 127 (66 any)

Rare Lamp: 1

V. Rare Lamp: 1

Agi Exp: 0,854,676 xp

Gen Exp: 1,764,442 xp

GP: 3,790,000 gp

eO8uA.jpg

qMOid.jpg

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

$200 is a lot of money to waste like that.

Do you think it was worth it?

It wasn't wasted since it was for SCIENCE. I'll be honest and say this was boring though. Not as fun as when I tracked other things in the past (metal dragon drops, MTK, farm runs with sheers, etc). I definitely do not recommend this to anyone.

Was it worth it? On the negative side, I helped give Jagex a reason to try another stunt like this (introducing rares) in the future since I essentially paid 30 months of membership. Hopefully though, this data can help convince players to not even consider doing this. That in turn can help convince Jagex that trying to push spins is a dead end route.

On the positive side, people that believe time is money have something to decide if they want to do this. Seeing that there's a predictable ratio of lamps to spins, you can determine your XP for your purchase. Maybe someone that makes a couple hundred dollars a day on a good job may find it useful to spend that much on a character instead of spending time. We use the term "disposable income", but I've noticed many players ignore the concept of "disposable time" as if 8 hours a day to play this game is something everyone has. I'm not completely against the idea of someone spending their time earning money, then using that money to save even more time in the game. For example, the 850k agility xp I got would take about 17 hours in the game so is it so much that I worked 3 or 4 hours in a job I liked to earn enough to pay it? Not to be, but if I had to work 25 hours though, that'd be idiotic. So, basically time=money.

One thing I just don't see this as is gambling. Assuming the black market rate on GP is about $0.50 per 1m gp then what 900 spins costs represent a potential 400m gp. The SoF does not even come close to that. Perhaps this is a good thing.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

$200 is a lot of money to waste like that.

Do you think it was worth it?

Worth and waste are relative when it comes to spending one's disposable income. NukeMarine doesn't strike me as the kind of person to have spent that much if he couldn't have afforded to.

I never really understood the point of spending money so you don't have to play a game.

Don't think of it as paying money to not play the game, think of it as paying to get to the parts of the game you want to play. Yes it's similar to botting; the difference being that this is legal within the ToS. We may not like it, but there's no getting rid of it.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...