06-June-2012 : Fish Flingers Improvements + Squeal of Neptune

Did Jagex just create a discontinued item? lmao

PS. It will have value, and high value too. You will have to spend a lot of real $$$ to get them so a lot of players won't have the mask. I think it's safe to say that it'll be mostly members who get the mask since they are willing to pay for the game but not every member will buy spins. I'd say a lot less than 50% ever buy spins at all, which is probably pretty accurate.

And the day that they are taken off the wheel... what do you think is going to happen? Every merchant on the planet is going to hoard them.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think i've also reached a stage now where anything Jagex does no longer surprises me...

Welcome to the club. ;)

Seconded. Really considering that visit to Jagex HQ now...

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

The thing is, people will be hoarding them with the expectation that they will skyrocket in price. Nobody will be buying them as everyone already has one. Besides that, they are really ugly.

Now there's no reason to buy from gold-selling sites. Just buy spins, get a rare, sell for millions, AND level your account simultaneously! Okay, I am exaggerating a bit. But still.

I was expecting patch notes to save the day for some interesting things (for me personally) to chew over, only to see gems like this:

"The Supreme Poison Purge aura now functions as expected, instead of doing nothing."

How...does crap like this pass testing? Surely they check to see if the aura at least WORKS before making content live.

All of this leaves a horrible taste in my mouth...Tastes like ass.

And also...

With the addition of occasional new rare items such as the tradable fish mask (available for a limited time during the summer), this will alleviate the pressure on the original items, and help the economy in general.

Is...this what they're going with? Really? Almost as bad as MMG saying 90% of people actively enjoy the SoF.

hzvjpwS.gif

Boring update. Really happy about the tacklebox thingy only being a trimmed comp requirement though.

The "new" rare doesn't bother me too much either. As long as they don't add the existing rares to the wheel, I don't mind.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

Those fish masks sure do look carp.

Keeping with Jagex' stupid puns, I see...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Boring update. Really happy about the tacklebox thingy only being a trimmed comp requirement though.

The "new" rare doesn't bother me too much either. As long as they don't add the existing rares to the wheel, I don't mind.

They will. We're slowly being eased into and conditioned for these business practices to be acceptable. Basically, anything they can make a profit on in this game, they will, now that they have a sly way to do it. Even if partyhats were super-ultra-mega-whatever rare, it would still boost SOF sales. And that's what they want.

hzvjpwS.gif

Boosting one-time sales at the expense of pushing all your players away doesn't seem to make business sense to me. But you're right, and it is likely we won't all leave, at least not at first.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

^You forget, Jagex is going to be sold in 2013 ;)

And yes, if it weren't for the smiley face, you can pull a Poe's Law on this one

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

... and it is likely we won't all leave, at least not at first.

That's why these changes are being done so gradually. Just look at the degrees of emotions we've seen and how they've changed since the Wheel's release.

Not like this is anything really revolutionary, I'm sure everyone's already aware of it, I'm just [bleep]ing haha.

^You forget, Jagex is goign to be sold in 2013 ;)

[citation needed]?

I've never heard that before. EDIT: Oh, you were joking. Didn't see the edit.

hzvjpwS.gif

I agree that Jagex might add certain items to the wheel that should not be added. I agree, as Kim pointed out, that we are being eased into it. I do not agree though, that they will lose a large portion of their player base.

How many of you complain and moan about SoF every update, threatening to quit? Quite a few of you, in fact. How many of you actually quit? Not many of you, in fact.

How many other player's that don't use TIF complain, and how many of them actually quit (quit for good, not cancel membership for a week/month then start playing again)?

I can assure you that the amount of money lost due to canceled memberships does not even make up 1% of the money they gain from people buying spins. Jagex, right now, is making bank from all the people buying spins. They know people are quitting, and they know many more are going to quit. But what they also know is that as long as they make certain updates (updates which include microtransactions), certain players are going to stay and those players' purchases are going to greatly outweigh the losses they suffer from members leaving.

Now, my biggest goal in RS has always been to max. I never though i would get to that point, but i did. And i was happy about it for a month or two. Then SoF was released and i never really cared much about it until you could start buying spins (which was basically Jagex selling exp). I had to work pretty hard to get to where i am currently in the game. I put in some crazy hours. I know no one ever forced me to do it, but i did. But with every update that is released the game is getting easier and easier, taking away from me something i used to call a pretty nice achievement, and a sign of commitment. I no longer feel like that. Even with effigies, you needed commitment to get 99 in a skill using Effigies. You still had to camp a monster, make money to get them fast, etc. Now all you need is a rich mommy and daddy, or a job with very little living expenses.

Now i have about 4 months left until i go back home. When i get back home, i'll probably start playing xBox again in which case (and this is probably the first time i've ever felt like i mean it), i'll probably end up saying goodbye to the game i grew up with.

... We're slowly being eased into and conditioned for these business practices to be acceptable. Basically, anything they can make a profit on in this game, they will, now that they have a sly way to do it. Even if partyhats were super-ultra-mega-whatever rare, it would still boost SOF sales. And that's what they want.

Andrews Jagex would never have pulled stunts like this. But sadly, this is IVPs Jagex. All bets are off.

Long-term, I dont expect this game to last another 5-10 years. So I take these player projections re: the Fish Face with a grain of salt. Who will be playing in 5-10 years that would be interested in buying them?

As for me, Ill still be clicking the X on the little green skinned bastard son of Gerhard every time I log in. YMMV.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Way to go back on your word Jagex...

first you endorse RWT with SoF spins and then you introduce another discontinued 'rare' item...what next..I dread to think :/

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

What next? Rare items with stats obviously, plus the fact you can show this off shows it has more value than the non wealdable rares in the future. Also we don't know if they'll ever be put on the SoF ever again (much like how the membership stuff was available via packages at MCM) But it's smart on their move it's going to make people with money buy spins for the mask, even if it's a week @ uncommon it'll probably have 100k of them in game (maybe less ) by the end of the week not sure how many of the other rares are in game, but if these don't get re-released these will be worth money in the future. Even if everybody is hording them (myself included) But if anybody who buys spins (like the 75 or 450 one) Would like to say how many they get so i can see the odd rate?

Thievingcapesigcopy.png

Jeffery.png

180th to 99 Divination + 1st W36er

Rambo, cannot pk call your friends bro :). Wait nevermind none of SAPK/PKS can. Kappa.

Way to go back on your word Jagex...

first you endorse RWT with SoF spins and then you introduce another discontinued 'rare' item...what next..I dread to think :/

They don't have a choice.

You know that little green goblin we all know and love? Well, thanks to all our loyal players, he has gained enough money to expand. You will now be able to buy items from Yelp's Shops all around the lands of Runescape. For the less adventurous of you all, here is a list of locations you can find Yelp's shop:

- Varrock

- Falador

- Ardougne

- Lumbridge

- Yanille

- Draynor

- Al Kharid

- Nardah

- Sophanem

- Catherby

- Seer's

- Rellekka

Yelp has a few items purchasable for in-game currency, but his real prizes are bought using Squeal Cash, a new currency you can buy quicker than you can punch Yelp in the Squeal of Fortune!

Celebrating the launch of this great new selection of goods, everything found in the store is marked 25% off it's original price. There are also a few limited edition Yelp Items only available this week. Don't forget to stop by, Yelp might even have a free spin for you if you do!

- Future Runescape Team

[hide]That's fake, but in case it ever happens. It's here for me to quote. :P[/hide]

WARNING: Most of this post is pure speculation. Don't take any of this to be a true and factual depiction of the future RS market, as none of us know for sure what the value of these items will be in the future. Some assembly required, batteries not included.

OK, so Jagex is deliberately trying to make a new discontinued item. I think this will be a failure on their part. Why? They've forgotten, or are ignoring, the formula by which all the other discontinued items were made.

RS was a much smaller game by playerbase in 2001-2002 when the discontinueds were dropped. We had, what, 3 or 4 servers for the 2001 drops and a few more in 2002 when members launched, but that was it. The active daily playerbase probably was in the five digit range (XX,XXX). Also, as someone mentioned before, pumpkins and easters were consumable and also very good foods for their time (shark and swordfish were rare and not sold much, lobster was the main general use food then and pumps/easters heal the same IIRC). How did they become hot commodities?

Two factors: One, playerbase growth. We now have an active playerbase in the tens of millions (approx), which is several orders of magnitude larger than what existed in 2001 and 2002. Of course items are going to be comparatively rare as the user count grows. Items from 2001 (santas partyhats, discs, and pumps) are comparatively more expensive than other things because there were less players then. Supply and demand at work.

Two, Jagex is specifically trying to drum up interest in these things, which creates too much hype around them. Party hats etc. were not expected to be discontinued, so people didn't care much about them. True story: A week after the cracker drop, I deliberately got rid of about 15 hats on my character, reasoning at the time that the event was over, it was fun, but these are boring and useless now. (I think I also needed bank space) I also remember eating some pumps and eggs because, well, food.

The drop of Santa Hats was the last discontinued item specifically because people hoarded them to be sold later, which did not sit well with old Jagex. (People sat around all day grabbing Santas at the time they were dropped - if we had even 10x the players then these might be worthless)

The point is, people are actively trying to collect these things like Santas. Obviously this is what new Jagex wants ($$), but it clashes with their aim to make the fish mask a new rare. There simply isn't the user growth left in RS to get a jump in players like we got from 2001 to 2007+. Too many of these will be generated between now and the end of the summer for them to be worth much. I suspect these may eventually reach the price of a low rare (50M or so) but will never get higher and will take many years to do so.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

Sorry can someone tell me why this update is bad?

The fishflingers is a good update. The SOF just turned into a major cash grab by Jagex. It has given players a 1 week window for a decent chance at getting a soon to be discontinued item. Before this, the SOF was essentially paying $200 for ~500k experience (I'm going off memory) since none of the items you got were really worth it. Now, players that believe a discontinued item could turn into 100m+ gp (~$50 value) might be willing to part with $20 for that chance. Jagex knows this and it's pretty shady.

Before, I'd argue the SOF was not gambling since it quickly became obvious that you got predictable experience. So guys with money was buying experience. Now, it's gambling since rare items may not pop up even with a $20 purchase on an item that may or may not turn valuable in a year or two. I'll still play, but this is pretty low.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit