06-June-2012 : Fish Flingers Improvements + Squeal of Neptune

So this item's going to be discontinued after the summer...? i can see this ending badly.

Another U-turn on Jagex policy then, so much for them never releasing another discontinued rare item. Seriously, their word is about as trustworthy as a politicians.

I hate to say I told you so... But I did bloody tell you...

I just bought 25 spins impulsively and didn't receive a single rare. I'm just going to stick with skilling and questing to receive spins from now on.

And we have our first sucker ¬_¬

Told us what? If you're referring to your Tip It Times article then you didn't forewarn anyone about anything.

Sylpheed.png

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess what? These fish masks are never going to be worth anything.

Compare today's Runescape population to that of 2001's, when partyhats etc. were being dropped for the first time. We're probably going to have thousands upon thousands of these fish masks coming into the game every day for a few months. Everyone's going to be hanging onto them "waiting for them to be worth billions". That day is never going to come. Everyone will already have one of these ugly ass masks. Nobody will want them. End of story.

Yes, yes.. that's what people thought too, 8 years back..

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Guess what? These fish masks are never going to be worth anything.

Compare today's Runescape population to that of 2001's, when partyhats etc. were being dropped for the first time. We're probably going to have thousands upon thousands of these fish masks coming into the game every day for a few months. Everyone's going to be hanging onto them "waiting for them to be worth billions". That day is never going to come. Everyone will already have one of these ugly ass masks. Nobody will want them. End of story.

Yes, yes.. that's what people thought too, 8 years back..

And even if this guy happens to be right, it's better safe than sorry. That's why I am getting myself fish masks. I don't want to miss out on a chance to make a nice millions of gp profit.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I'm paraphrasing here but:

"If this isn't the final straw, then what will be? Cuz at this rate there is an entire hay bale still to come..."

:-w :roll:

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

If you're buying spins to get this mask to then sell for gold then you might aswell just hold on to your cash and wait until they start selling gold and just buy that. I can't see these masks being worth hundreds of millions anytime soon.

Define 'soon'. After six years they will definitely be worth hundreds of millions. Especially if official RWT is introduced.

An unobtainable item can't really crash without the economy crashing.

Got myself 2 masks from 75 spins. Not going to sell them in the near future. We shall see what will the price be 3 years later!

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

I'm sorta mad at the update, but it's here and they won't change that. just gotta sit this one out and see what happens to price, even though i dont seeing it being worth much past when I've quit

on a plus note, loving fish flingers

Muckytears.png

2002 when easter eggs dropped, there was only fragment from current player base...most or alot of eggs were eaten too because rares didnt have anything much value back then so not even close of all picked eggs survived to these days....yet price still 50m only....

halloween mask from 2002 also, because 3 different colors was dropped in different phases, each color remains alot rarer than easter egg...yet price for cheapest mask is only slightly over easter egg price....lets say player base was 10% from current back in halloween 2002 (more likely less than that), there was only ~3x 5min time to pick each mask when they did total 9 phases during halloween day...alot ppl also missed those drops even if they played in that day.

santa hat was techincally first rare when alot of ppl started to hoard them for investment purposes because at the time, oldest rares showed some interest in merchanting market.

fish mask avaliable whole week to get, how many million accounts spinning this week (even i alone spin ~25 of my different noob accounts daily), and how many rich ppl going to buy spin packs to get multiple masks. Im pretty sure they going to drop below current GE price to level where cheaper clue masks are atm.

If you're buying spins to get this mask to then sell for gold then you might aswell just hold on to your cash and wait until they start selling gold and just buy that. I can't see these masks being worth hundreds of millions anytime soon.

Define 'soon'. After six years they will definitely be worth hundreds of millions. Especially if official RWT is introduced.

An unobtainable item can't really crash without the economy crashing.

Got myself 2 masks from 75 spins. Not going to sell them in the near future. We shall see what will the price be 3 years later!

It won't be worth anything like other people have said.

that does seem unlikely, as it would make people who bought spins to get it extremely mad, and also crash their price so that no one would buy spins to get it.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

bTHFY.png

Looks like this guy was sort of right...

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Indeed...

Anything you say that Jagex will do something one day that they said they'll never do, people will almost instantly defend with "No, cuz Jagex said they'd never bring back the wild/introduce new rares/introduce rwt/introduce the dragon kite/platebody/etc"...

This pretty much proves that untrustworthy Jagex is untrustworthy...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

I'm appalled, ashamed and disgruntled at this... If they keep going like this I'll end up focussing solely on Medieval 2: Total War (behind the times, I know!) and cancelling my RS subscription.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

I thought they couldn't get any lower when they introduced limited time untradeable cosmetic sof rewards. I guess I was wrong.

Are they intentionally trying to piss us off? Is this the biggest troll in history? Did the employees at Jagex turn so cynical toward their fanbase that they continually pump out these spectacularly stupid gimmicks and constantly insult our intelligence by pretending that this isn't a blatant betrayal of their long standing values?

I have to say I don't quite understand why people are upset about that, or rather, why they're more upset than before. I don't like the SoF either, but this isn't worse than what they've already done. So while this annoys me (I'd really like to have a news post without the mention of the freaking SoF), it's not *that* big of a deal either...

I have to say I don't quite understand why people are upset about that, or rather, why they're more upset than before. I don't like the SoF either, but this isn't worse than what they've already done. So while this annoys me (I'd really like to have a news post without the mention of the freaking SoF), it's not *that* big of a deal either...

Not necessarily worse, but it's another thing that they said they definitely would never do that they've now done.

The worst part is the pretense. I wish they'd just open a cash shop and get it over with, I'd be much happier with that than this gimmick. At least then you'd get what you pay for. As it is now, they try their absolute hardest to tempt you to buy spins for a specific limited time item that you'd have like a 1% chance of getting otherwise with the free spins, and you still have no guarantee of getting it. And they have the nerve to pretend this isn't RWT.

It won't be worth anything like other people have said.

I have reasons* to believe it will be worth much more in the future. On the other hand, I am not going to sell it until it becomes very expensive. It is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

What people didn't discuss much in this thread is that this mask is just one of many NEW discontinued items. That makes it one of many and effectively prolongs the 'worth nothing' stage considerably, but not indefinitely. Yes, not indefinitely. Yep, you heard that right.

* - there are just so many ways for it to leave the game, most notable are:

a) a cheating stockpiler gets banned

b) a serious stockpiler gets cleaned (with those 'rares' ending up in a dead account)

c) a serious stockpiler leaves 'for real'

d) accidents

e) serious stockpiler buying cheap and destroying stockpiling them just before a temporary leave (which turns out to be much, much longer)

AND unlike classic rares, after they become discontinued, there is no way to produce extraordinary amounts of these and go off giving them away to everyone after which JaGeX would not be able to track which ones were created as a result of bug abuse (object versus item ID).

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.

There are a couple of things you've got to remember:

1. Jagex, like any company with investors, is pretty much ruled by the investors. If they want something or dont like something, they get their way. No doubt SoF is making a butt load of money and therefore isn't going anywhere.

2. Following on from 1. Not every Jagex employee will agree with the Squeal so its unfair to lump them together. They either have to roll with the punches and do their best to provide good updates and support where they can or leave the company. Not many will choose to leave without having another job lined up.

3. The investors want this advertised as 'the next rare' so people buy lots of spins. Lots of bought spins = lots of money for investors + lots in circulation > lots in circulation = not rare > not rare + not very good-looking = low desire > low desire = low worth > low worth and lots of them about = little to no impact on the economy. Its not a new rare, its a pretender.

My 2 cents. Feel free to tear it apart and rage etc.

-- 2001 Starter --

moki.png

There are a couple of things you've got to remember:

1. Jagex, like any company with investors, is pretty much ruled by the investors. If they want something or dont like something, they get their way. No doubt SoF is making a butt load of money and therefore isn't going anywhere.

2. Following on from 1. Not every Jagex employee will agree with the Squeal so its unfair to lump them together. They either have to roll with the punches and do their best to provide good updates and support where they can or leave the company. Not many will choose to leave without having another job lined up.

3. The investors want this advertised as 'the next rare' so people buy lots of spins. Lots of bought spins = lots of money for investors + lots in circulation > lots in circulation = not rare > not rare + not very good-looking = low desire > low desire = low worth > low worth and lots of them about = little to no impact on the economy. Its not a new rare, its a pretender.

My 2 cents. Feel free to tear it apart and rage etc.

Unless they decide to re-continue discontinued items (which would be sad, as it would be too late to do anything about it), this mask will become a rare.

About other points, you have them all wrong right. Yes, the massive ad campaign about a new 'peahat' is to make sure people spend much real cash on gambling via SoF and in the end the mask would not be worth anything anytime in the near future (few years). Everybody wins, except for the gambling addicts. Who will spend real cash just to discover they wasted it and quit (eventually, perhaps spending more first).

Which is another reason why, given enough time, this mask will be rare.

savormix.gif

Those fish masks sure do look carp.

Don't think I'll be playing Fish Flingers anytime soon, I've got 99 fishing and the rewards mostly seemed to be aimed towards xp boosts and improved rates, which I'm not currently interested in. If the costume looks nice though I may try get that! :D

I think i've also reached a stage now where anything Jagex does no longer surprises me...I wonder what it must be like for them knowing a heck of a lot of people seem to be very very unhappy with their actions, and continuing with them :P

dczlnn.pngUSPPEP8.pngdczlnn.png

I'd like to see that quote where a J mod said in a Q&A that the wheel is NOT a main game feature. It's had an update to it's rewards along side of almost every update in the past few months. And it hasn't been just tossed in "in other news", it's had it's own separate article. Not a main game feature my ass.

I was thinking about coming back to the game after the combat update, but now even that is starting to become unlikely with just how annoyed i am by this damn wheel <_<

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

The Supreme Poison Purge aura now functions as expected, instead of doing nothing.

You mean some poor sap got conned into buying Supreme Poison Purge for Jagex to discover it doesn't work? Whoops.

Anyways, not really happy with the SoF update, not interested much in Fish Flingers (I assume the xp boosting clothing will take a long time to earn), so I guess I'll continue waiting for the combat beta.

And my 10 year cape.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png