What really happened regarding the GP dupe - 80B/HR

jack994

I woulda done it tbh, anyone here who says they wouldn't is a liar. Think about that money

I would have if I was 100% certain I could do so without any legal troubles. I've got student loans to pay and crippling medical debt. But there's no way I could reach absolute certainty with something like that, so I wouldn't have. I kind of think those who tried to sell their abused earnings might not have thought through how badly a criminal offense can [bleep] up your life.

hzvjpwS.gif

I woulda done it tbh, anyone here who says they wouldn't is a liar. Think about that money

I would have if I was 100% certain I could do so without any legal troubles. I've got student loans to pay and crippling medical debt. But there's no way I could reach absolute certainty with something like that, so I wouldn't have. I kind of think those who tried to sell their abused earnings might not have thought through how badly a criminal offense can [bleep] up your life.

With 20 minutes of this dupe and reselling the GP at wholesale they could have easily gotten a lawyer and bank account in Panama, a tax and banking haven. A few hours worth of the dupe and they could afford a new house and car in another country. I think its safe to say these guys are set for life and Jagex putting their names on the front page only inflates their egos.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Were they able to offload all their duped earnings yet? In the second video when they were taunting Jagex's incompetence at being unable to remove the duped wealth (which was well deserved; Jagex failed at literally every aspect of this) it seems like they still had quite a bit of wealth left that they didn't or couldn't sell yet. (And even 100k+ is hardly "set for life" if they're buying offshore homes, furnishing them, getting new jobs, hiring a lawyer on retainer, buying a new car, etc as everyone is imagining them doing.)

hzvjpwS.gif

With 20 minutes of this dupe and reselling the GP at wholesale they could have easily gotten a lawyer and bank account in Panama, a tax and banking haven. A few hours worth of the dupe and they could afford a new house and car in another country. I think its safe to say these guys are set for life and Jagex putting their names on the front page only inflates their egos.

I think saying any of them are "set for life" is a bit of a stretch. It takes more than 6 figures to retire these days.

nautica.png

nautica.png

*SIGH* That's around 4,000 Euros right there?

dcst4j.jpg

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

I think saying any of them are "set for life" is a bit of a stretch. It takes more than 6 figures to retire these days.

Assuming they kept up the 80b/hr rate and were wholesaling the GP for .20 a mil thats $16,000 an hour, just using two accounts. 24 hours of that is $384,000. This was around for weeks.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

How big is the RS gold market to begin with? I have trouble believing they could make 6 figures off this, let alone be set for life. This could just be because I'm ignorant of how big the gold market actaully is. (Also, set for life in my books is somewhere int he ballpark of 10 million.)

Also, generally if someone makes a lot of money, they change their lifestyle to one that needs tons of money to support. Guy makes 10 million dollars, within a year he's living a lifestyle that needs like 2m or 4m a year to support. Honestly, being set for life needs something that provides a constant source of income without effort, as opposed to just getting a giant lump sum.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

lol, actually thinking with myself: nope I wouldn't do it... Maybe I'd start with something like this, but after a minute or 5 I would grew tired and "say screw it, I'm going back to dg"..

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

lol, actually thinking with myself: nope I wouldn't do it... Maybe I'd start with something like this, but after a minute or 5 I would grew tired and "say screw it, I'm going back to dg"..

Even knowing how much RL money it could make you? (Assuming the rates in this thread are correct.)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

I would never ever consider selling it for real life money. Sorry but that thought (even now) isn't occurring to me.... Ever.

Look at this other game I play now 'diablo 3'. I've sold items on the gah, where on forums people state I should've sold those for some nice money; yet that thought just doesn't occur to me. In real life I make just enough to cover my expenses, and I live happy that way.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Meh, I still don't get how you could even sell that much gold... Some people must have some major gambling/rs addictions. Makes you think, how many people got their stats/gear w/o rl cash or just bought the gold.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Meh, I still don't get how you could even sell that much gold... Some people must have some major gambling/rs addictions. Makes you think, how many people got their stats/gear w/o rl cash or just bought the gold.

Usually large gold buyers buy bulk gold for a lower fixed price, and then sell at a higher price in small quantities. For example a large gold buyer/seller will purchase lets say 8 bil a day from you for $0.40 a mil and turn around and sell it for $0.50 a mil to random buyers in sizes of 5 mil, 10mil, 50mil, 100mil ect.

jpegsigtest.jpg

I have to agree anyone that could have, would have. 16k an hour and it takes 3 hours to full pay for a university degree. 24 hours and I could buy my first house.

• Like 1

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Would this have been legal? Certainly a grey area, morally unsound and against Jagex rules, but I would probably abuse this were it clean. $15k per hour is really attractive to me.

Regardless, Jagex really screwed up here. Checking how money pouch behaves when full is one of the things that should have been tested more thoroughly.

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

Would this have been legal? Certainly a grey area, morally unsound and against Jagex rules, but I would probably abuse this were it clean. $15k per hour is really attractive to me.

Regardless, Jagex really screwed up here. Checking how money pouch behaves when full is one of the things that should have been tested more thoroughly.

Well, there's always the technicality that they're committing fraud by selling something that doesn't belong to them (as technically everything in the game belongs to Jagex, not the players). Other than that... I dunno. But I do think that they'll get suckerpunched on tax evasion if they aren't very, very careful.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Pretty much illegal, though it's shady in some countries.

The rich get richer, and the richer get banned, but stay richer. :lol:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

On the topic of being "set for life" from this glitch.

$5,000,000 million USD, invested properly (through a professional), should bring in on average 2% return per year. Which is $100,000 USD. Which is very easy and comfortable to live off. I'm not saying that these kids sold enough gp to make $5 million, but if they had they could be "set for life".

Oh and $5,000,000 USD would have taken a little over 312 hours to get.

99 Slayer (at an average of 40k exp/hr) takes 325 hours.

I don't think they sold that much.

E: If this were done as a full time job (40h/wk * 50 wk) your yearly wage would be $32,000,000 USD. more money than the CEO of Viacom, Target, AT&T, FedEx, Wal-Mart, Goldman Sachs, Ford, Coca-cola, Lockheed Martin, Apple, ExxonMobil, Boeing, Delta, and McDonalds. To name a few.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2012/12/ceo-compensation-12_rank.html

• Like 3
4e0Vn.png

Lol do people really think the chinese gold sellers have $5,000,000 to fling at half a dozen people to buy the GP of them? These are pure unsubstantiated rumours which are most likely a load of rubbish. Of course the banned people are going to make out they they made shit loads of money from it. They got busted and are trying to come accross as winners. When they do a Matt Immam and post a picture of all the cash they so called made then maybe I'll believe it.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Well, there's always the technicality that they're committing fraud by selling something that doesn't belong to them (as technically everything in the game belongs to Jagex, not the players). Other than that... I dunno. But I do think that they'll get suckerpunched on tax evasion if they aren't very, very careful.

So spend an hours worth of gold on legal advice >_>

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png