04-12-12 - The Brink of Extinction - Grandmaster Quest

Octarine

He spawns more than 1 xil?

No, just the one at the beginning.

I don't know what triggers it, but you can have more than one TokHaar-Tok-Xil before moving onto the Champions, just as you can have two champions spawn for you before moving onto the Xil and Mej waves. TokHaar-Xil and TokHaar-Mej can start to spawn after the Tok-Xil and Champions are dead, too.

hzvjpwS.gif

Basicly the boss keeps summoning the same kind adds until you manage to clear the room fully. So if it takes you too long to kill the ranger, he will spawn a 2nd ranger and so on (Up to 4 I believe). You don't want that to happen as the rangers hit really hard.

Once you clear the room from rangers, champions will start spawning. They're so weak I wouldnt bother killing them, chances are the 3rd monster hits alot higher (My guess the next one would be magers)

For MELEE setup

Armour suggestions:

Melee top/bottom

Mage helm, gloves, boots (for additional defence against melee without losing offence)

Melee crit amulet, cape, ring

2H weapon (Chaotic Maul preferably)

OR Full Dharok works as well

Inventory:

Dreadnips, 1-2 prayer flasks

Remaining slots for food

Pot at bank, the fight wont last long enough to warrant potting again

The Fight:

Melee protect + piety before u talk to the boss

Smack boss and try to build up adrenaline for 50%

When ranger spawns and is attackable (No lava below him) unleash some basics and if you have enough adrenaline launch ASSAULT. This move is a combo move and hits 3 times and theyre most likely really high hits too. (remember that using any other ability during the combo will cancel it)

After the ranger dies just focus on the boss, luring him to furthest corners away from the healing fountain (this will also block most of the champions it spawns). Just keep using basics and assault/berserk whenever you can. I wouldnt bother with any other thresholds or ultimates. At 50% it will start healing unless you stun him. I've heard different methods bout this but I just used Kick whenever it started moving towards the healing fountain.

EDIT: Remember that you can eat food while doing combo attacks without cancelling the attack :)

WRQR3.png

My gear in that pic

Ahrim Hood

Verac's Brassard

Rune Plateskirt

Dragon Rider Boots

Spellcaster Gloves

Tokhaar-Kal

Tokkul-Zo

Amulet of Glory

Chaotic Maul

used 12 monkfish and 5 prayer potion doses

Oddish_Diy.png

Oddish_Diy.png

Oddish_Diy.png

I guess one thing that annoys me about the combat in this quest is that you are often being attacked by more than one combat style. This was okay in the old system because you could mix and match armour to cover multiple sides or use protection prayers to block one side of the triangle completely, but in the new system they've worked so hard to discourage hybrid setups (steep penalties to both offense and defense for using the wrong class) and protection prayers no longer block them out completely.

It's not a big complaint, just slightly annoying that they use a mechanic they used in the old combat system to make combat more thoughtful (throwing multiple attack styles at you) in a combat system that allows for much more complex dynamics and makes the old mechanic more difficult than it was before.

Flyingjj.png

I guess the intention is that you use shield abilities and 50% prot prayer to mitigate damage while taking out the immediate threat (rangers when you're maging say) before focusing on the stuff that you deal good damage against. I've found that the cool-down penalties for switching gear and such were much better than I thought, so I guess its just a case of more switches than we used to have

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Anyone still having trouble beating the quest? If so, fret not! Jagex updated their wiki to include RECOMMENDED SETUPS FOR THE BATTLES!

gearsetup.png

[hide]I'm not even kidding about this lol

http://services.runescape.com/m=rswiki/en/The_Brink_of_Extinction_-_Spoilers#Suggested_Gear_Setups[/hide]

Akrisae's warmace with Pernix armour, lmao that -30% accuracy penalty

• Like 3

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Anyone still having trouble beating the quest? If so, fret not! Jagex updated their wiki to include RECOMMENDED SETUPS FOR THE BATTLES!

gearsetup.png

http://services.runescape.com/m=rswiki/en/The_Brink_of_Extinction_-_Spoilers#Suggested_Gear_Setups[/hide]

...Are those rune longswords on the far left set up o.O?

This is why you leave the helping of players to the actual help sites...

• Like 2
siggy_zps7b2911b4.png

[spoiler=snip]gearsetup.png

http://services.rune...ted_Gear_Setups[/hide]

...Are those rune longswords on the far left set up o.O?

This is why you leave the helping of players to the actual help sites...

I love the assumption that no-one has chaotics but everyone has nex gear.

• Like 3

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

You think you've seen it all, but then they bring something else out which stuns you with just how ignorant they are of their own game.

Dual rune longswords is just... apparently they can afford to use a virtus wand though.

Asmodean <3

You think you've seen it all, but then they bring something else out which stuns you with just how ignorant they are of their own game.

Dual rune longswords is just... apparently they can afford to use a virtus wand though.

Is it even longswords? You would think they would as least use dragon. Or are they using just normal rune swords?

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

gearsetup.png

http://services.rune...ted_Gear_Setups[/hide]

i....

dont...

even.....

dont evening aside, just to confirm, the boss will spawn rangers unless you kill them all... I died several times because 2-3 rangers on me, they really owned me through barrows... so kill the first one.

I then switched to gano and cs after meleeing with maul time first ranger was dead, barraging made it a complete joke

meamzed.png

Full Dharoks is definitely the way to go if you're going to Melee. I tried SEVERAL times using Ganodermic and Ice Barrage. Dharoks is much better in my opinion. I brought 3 (4) dose Prayer pots and the rest sharks. When the first ranger spawns (at the very beginning of the fight), kill it. If you do he'll spawn Meleers next, which you should be praying against. Then just watch your Prayer, if you let it run out you probably won't be able to drink a dose and re-pray fast enough to not get KOed. Good luck. :D

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

I used guthans and a saradomin sword with sharks, ppots and super set while praying melee and managed to kill it without bigger problems. I can confirm that if you take too long to kill tha Xil (ranger) the boss will spawn more of 'em. Also - try not to get killed during the boss' dying animation. Happend to me. Had to kill him again -.- .

S11m.gif
Elfs creating a crystal Axe would be like GreenPeace creating a Nuclear Powered Harpoon for killing seals...

This could be the community's new self-imposed challenge. Beat combat-orgy quests and endgame bosses with Jagex-approved setups. Winner receives a spin ticket.

I'm tempted to try this. :lol:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I gotta say though, that this guy:-

1xkfQ.png

Can [bleep] off.

This made me laugh out loud!! :wink:

The quest was fun, the boss wasn't to bad. I used Bandos, maul, dreadnips, 2 prayer flasks and rest rocktails. Prayed melee the whole time, used stun every chance I could.

queenvalerie.png

Is it even longswords? You would think they would as least use dragon. Or are they using just normal rune swords?

Well they ARE posting the absolute best gear you can get without ANY skill and/or quest requirements other than combat and oodles of GP. However unlikely that scenario is.

Also, I think Jagex is about the only one still getting a hard-on from dual wielding. Have they not realised they made that absolute shite for anything with even remotely decent defences?

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Also, I think Jagex is about the only one still getting a hard-on from dual wielding. Have they not realised they made that absolute shite for anything with even remotely decent defences?

Nope, half the people I see in game are still running around with dual Chaotic Longswords and what-not. They don't seem to realize how terrible the damage is with abilities.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

This could be the community's new self-imposed challenge. Beat combat-orgy quests and endgame bosses with Jagex-approved setups. Winner receives a spin ticket.

Inb4trimcompcapereq. :lol:

That would certainly be an excellent challenge for those who complain everything is too easy.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I had my steel titan out before I went in but it said that I couldn't use a familiar or something.It showed up and helped me in some battles including the last one. Glitch?

My bunyip was doing the same during the rooms without the lava grids and the final boss room. must be a glitch.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

I enjoyed the final battle. Yes, I died a LOT (~10+ times) before winning, but I always felt that the battle was doable, which is more than I can say about, for example, Nomad. It also was easy to not get mad at the fight because I didn't have to run back and loot my grave before jumping back in. I could restock food and prayer potions, repot and try again. It took a little bit of luck (e.g., the tiles under the ranger not heating too often so I could beat him before the second one spawned), but this was a battle that I felt took skill and not spam-clicking food after huge attacks to win. If you can kill the ranger and then manage prayer, health, stunning, and keep an eye on the tiles, this battle is not so bad, and actually quite enjoyable.

Setup for those looking for cheap gear that works with nowhere near max combat:

Full Guthan's

Guthan's warspear

goliath gloves

Tokkul-Zo

Ardougne cape 3

Fremennik Sea Boots 3

Amulet of Fury

4 prayer pots (4)

Sharks

Had 9 sharks leftover

• Like 1
Flyingjj.png

Just tried the dual rune longsword setup. Killed the boss in like 10 seconds w/o any food or prayer. Also got a 5B XP lamp.

seems legit

btw, i was able to mash the ranger's face in with an ss while wearing gano, just making a note of that for anybody who wants to mage

the biggest problem is the floor making it impossible to get near the ranger because it's being a jerk, but if that happens it's pretty easy to suicide for another attempt

at least it isn't like vanstrom where the blood bomb spam glitch kicks you out of the death interface and hits you when you respawn

8f14270694.jpg

I had my steel titan out before I went in but it said that I couldn't use a familiar or something.It showed up and helped me in some battles including the last one. Glitch?

My bunyip was doing the same during the rooms without the lava grids and the final boss room. must be a glitch.

You're most likely right. If you tried it with a BOB, it would tell you it can't access it's storage here either.

It also was easy to not get mad at the fight because I didn't have to run back and loot my grave before jumping back in. I could restock food and prayer potions, repot and try again.

The absolute best aspect of this quest. You could do this at ANY point while chasing Ga'al-Xox. It cut down on hassle tremendously and cut out an enormous amount of tedium. They deserve some serious kudos for this.

• Like 2

hzvjpwS.gif