What even? Tiered memberships for bonus perks

Sirknudsen

New paladin outfit + katana:

2exy53t.png

Can re-colour the area I have golden.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Requires giving up the loyalty rate to do this.

It's worth stating that the above is incorrect. Just as with redeeming a gift card, this is considered a one-time event and not a recurring agreement. So if you're currently grandfathered into the older/cheaper membership rate, you will automatically resume paying that monthly rate once the year of membership credit is used up. Of course, they may make other changes by then or offer more similar packages; some have even speculated that Runescape may end up going free to play supported entirely by microtransactions.

But if we assume the status quo will be maintained and you currently have the old rate, then you're paying $15 for 2,000 runecoins (regularly ~$40), 365 spins (regularly ~$75), a bunch of old decorative items from the gift cards, and the new decorative paladin outfit. Personally I wasn't planning to shell out ~$25 for one of these new pets, but using half of the runecoins from this new package seems like a more palatable deal.

One thing that confuses me about this new paladin outfit is that I had thought they were soon going to release a paladin outfit related to Sir Owen. Maybe the quests involving him have been delayed, or were always scheduled for further away than we had thought.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

Requires giving up the loyalty rate to do this.

It's worth stating that the above is incorrect. Just as with redeeming a gift card, this is considered a one-time event and not a recurring agreement. So if you're currently grandfathered into the older/cheaper membership rate, you will automatically resume paying that monthly rate once the year of membership credit is used up.

It's completely correct -- taking that offer will, for a 12 month period, lose you that low cost per month. You will have it available to you after a year...assuming that mid way through the 12 month period they don't remove that ability altogether if you don't have it as your active subscription...but you're paying more, aka losing the loyalty rate, in lieu of the "premium membership."

Thought that was pretty obvious what I meant but I guess not.

hzvjpwS.gif

Grrr i'm on holiday till january no free cash. Is it only available for credit card or can you use gamecards?

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

I think I'll take a miss on this. I'm happy enough with my twice grandfathered membership rate, and since I don't play as much as I used to, I'm happy to just keep shelling out the $60 a year and leaving it at that.

I wish their marketing team was more adept at timing this with a front-page news-post and a forum thread. People easily saw the different subscription tiers on the Subscription Page, as well as in the in-game Chat Box, before a forum thread or post could clarify how long the plans would last (i.e. is it just a Holiday special?), why they are calling it a "Premier Club", and so forth.

What bothers me though is that, especially after reading through this thread, some of these deals are excellent, if not solid - even the Bronze tier one, considering that an outfit on SGS can sell for 260-1K+ RuneCoin, is good. The RuneScape community has always been very reactionary and this easily could have been much better timed. It would be awful if good membership deals were dragged into a microtransaction debate before they are even properly "launched." I mean, earlier today Mod Mark was on Reddit doing an AMA; their CM team has never been stronger (they're on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube - I wouldn't be surprised if they popped up on Pinterest quicker than you can say "Penguin").

At the very least, it'll only be half a day before we see these announcements (I hope).

(An aside: Isn't it unbelievable that <12 hours, [insert social media spiel], is enough time to generate a marketing snafu? I remember when the Official Forums had an entire month to properly pickle a BTS, now we sort of pre-empt even the announcements. :P)

• Like 1

I'm confused at what was said before. If I buy the 12 month subscription, what will I pay after the 12 months are over? The same rate as right now?

Yep. Since it's a one-time payment once the time you paid for (i.e. the 12 month subscription) lapses, they will resume charging you your usual $5.00 per month rate.

The only thing I am missing now is the recolor of PoP armors, specifically Tetsu armor. Give me a Red/Gold/Black color scheme with a Katana, and I'll die a happier man.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Pardon my negativity, but this smells of a desperation move from a failing company. At least, that's my opinion on the matter. :(

~D. V. "And I used to think Jagex couldn't fail..." Devnull

(Edit: p.s.: If you're going to get crazy mad at me, just don't mind my opinion and move along, please.)

Why are you still on these forums if you hate the game?

Attention whoring has no specific realm. D. V. Has just chosen here.

I don't buy subscriptions in a big package because I'm often not sure I'll continue playing for a month. But, if someone is certain they'll play for a year, they should definitely go for it.

~ H. O. "These things aren't funny, and never will be" Bgoblinpie

• Like 5

must..get...gold...membership. Any idea how much that will cost in £s? hate when Jagex use $ in valuations.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

I'm pretty sure that buying the package won't destroy a previous loyalty rate subscription since the way it is set up, it would still be active, but it won't actually charge you anything until your days run out again.

Also, that paladin outfit explains a lot, I thought at some point they had remodeled 3rd age armor and didn't say anything about it lol

being able to pick up all of the previous bonuses without having to buy the cumulative days for all of them is pretty good though, even if only a handful are actually worth using

ofc the katana would have been much more fun as a reskin

(if you were able to use the flaming skull with the captain outfits it would have made a great lechuck)

8f14270694.jpg

must..get...gold...membership. Any idea how much that will cost in £s? hate when Jagex use $ in valuations.

46. Took two seconds to google it :P

Just logged into membership part of website yeah, £44.95. definately buying after christmas, will cost me little more than buying membership monthly at £3.50, but can't miss the perks.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Oh Man, the 1y bundle is great Value, specially since I pay the new cost of Membership. I'll totally buy it after i pay my tuitions

Pardon my negativity, but this smells of a desperation move from a failing company. At least, that's my opinion on the matter. :(

~D. V. "And I used to think Jagex couldn't fail..." Devnull

(Edit: p.s.: If you're going to get crazy mad at me, just don't mind my opinion and move along, please.)

Didn't you quit the game because you couldn't use a fire staff with a anti-dragon shield or something? Why does this matter to you then, D. V. "I'm trying too hard" Devnull?

• Like 6

I don't have a problem with it, and that title is a little bit misleading. This are just packages that include Runescape membership, there's nothing about the membership system itself that is changed by this.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

To be honest I'm not bothered by this at all, it's no different than the promotional crap for the gift cards. But hey! They brought back year-long memberships! *dance*

You can subscribe with these packages with a credit card. Unless you're talking about the fact that credit card subscribers were screwed out on the items previously in which case ignore this.

Requires giving up the loyalty rate to do this. Whether its worth it is up for debate. (in regards to year-long purchases)

You're basically paying $15 (the difference between the loyalty rate and the month-rate with the 12month package) for 2k runecoins and a chance to shake Mod Mark's hand. Yeah you get one extra spin per day, not really worth it

No it doesn't, you only lose your loyalty rate if your memberships lapses. As long as you buy the 12 month package while you have membership you'll be fine.

-- 2001 Starter --

moki.png

Question, the "Decorative Katana" is the same as the "Ornate Katana", correct?

The gold one is tempting as it's a pretty decent offer, but I could get away with the bronze one as I have all the bonus items the gold offers.

Question, the "Decorative Katana" is the same as the "Ornate Katana", correct?

The gold one is tempting as it's a pretty decent offer, but I could get away with the bronze one as I have all the bonus items the gold offers.

From what I've seen in terms of picture etc the Decorative Katana IS the Ornate Katana; I think whoever posted about that just got wrong name or something. Especially as Jagex wiki does still only list 3 katanas - Decorative, Golden and Auspicious which are game card, amazon promo and sof respectively.

The gold package is pretty sweet of all the 'vanity items' all that is missed is Golden Katana from the Amazon US wallet game buy thing, the Ice Mask from last years 'buy 2 for 1 membership now and get this mask free' thing and the Carnival Headdress given out free whenever that event was.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

No it doesn't, you only lose your loyalty rate if your memberships lapses. As long as you buy the 12 month package while you have membership you'll be fine.

And for those 12 months, you're paying over the loyalty rate -- thus losing the rate to take this offer.

Why is that so hard to understand @_@

hzvjpwS.gif

And for those 12 months, you're paying over the loyalty rate -- thus losing the rate to take this offer.

Why is that so hard to understand @_@

I think because your word choice is poor.

As the grandfathered rates are unobtainable if you lose them people read losing the rate as meaning you cannot have it again.

So given the context to say you lose the loyalty rate is kinda wrong as you will retain it in the long term; though of course your point is valid that for the period of 12 months in which you are using this package you have paid more than the usual loyalty rate.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Seems the packages are not available on Ideal (yet) :(.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Seems like a pretty good deal even for those of us still paying £3.20/$5 a month.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12