Clues, Secrets, and Forgotten Eggs about Summoning

Locutus_Of_Borg

I consider myself a scholar on the history of RuneScape and its lores. So when this Summoning Skill is announced, I proceeded to dig up some clues about it, both in the past and present.

I have many examples to post, but seeing as how I'm still digging through pages of information, I'll be adding even more secrets to this thread. If you discover anything you wish to add, I will post it with credit being given to the discoverer.

Clues, Secrets, and Forgotten Stuff

I'll start off with what I've discovered first.

For the Behind the Scenes - November 2007 article, the article's icon for the frontpage was a creatures that looked like a Jackalope. In the first Dev Diary for Summoning, it mentions Wolpertingers. A wolpertinger is almost the same thing as a jackalope.

wolpertingerbk9.gif

For the Dev Diary's icon, there is a blue and white wolf. It is called a spirit wolf.

spiritwolfml8.gif

In the recent summoning wallpaper, it has pictures of the spirit wolf as well as the wolpertinger.

On the BTS - Dec. '07, there was this pic on the frontpage

dreadfowlky9.gif

The name of that is a Dread Fowl. The first mention of this was in the Chaos Elemental's bulletinboard as the acronym 'Add Flower.'

minotaurrs6.gif

A minotaur pic taken from the front page.

Credit for the wolpertinger pic goes to Mr Invisable

Credit for the minotaur pic goes to Fastknight20

--------------------------------------------------

While looking through the third letter to the Chaos Elemental, he mentions this little line: "Seasons pass for animal lores, magical chores"

Animal Lore was the precursor to Summoning.

After the Tower of Life quest, you can "summon" creatures to fight. After the quest came out, Mod Ash stated on the forums that this was not summoning and that it was more of a test to see how the servers would handle summoning. He also stated that there was more to come in this area.

Announced in the Behind the Scenes - March 2004

New features & skills

- Summoning spells - summon skeletons, demons, etc...!

Credit to Unorclan

If you talk to malignus mortifier he says something about in the near future he might teach us the art of necromancy.

Credit to Sohkmj1

As some of you might know, the Chaos Elemental hints at future updates. In the recent Postbag, he has a whole host of secrets! Shown below is an image of his noticeboard.

boardcv5.jpg

There are quite a bit of things, some are VERY interesting, but I will only reveal here the ones that might pertain to summoning.

- The numbers on the lottery card are 13, 1, 7, 16, 9, 5. If 1 = A, 2 = B, etc. then his is a code that spells out magpie, a type of bird. The numbers below the barcode, spells macaw, another type of bird.

- The picture of the whistle is obviously an animal. An animal-whistle. Most likely not a whistle actually made from an animal. Maybe a whistle will be used to summon animals to your side...? That's my guess, at least.

- The paper which has the words ROCK RALD is the Varrock Herald newspaper torn in half. Annette Fisher, the writer, is a homonym for 'a net fisher'. The sentences themselves look to be gibberish but hidden amongst the meaningless message the words beaver, raven, hen, ibis, unicorn, locust and lobster are revealed.

It will be a very

Brave new world in

the nib is sharp

shun. I corn-fed

hello customary

slobs terminate a.

- The To-Do List is filled with acronyms. The morse code at the end which spells out Gecko. If you find an anagram that is of interest, please post it.

Plausible Acronyms

- Add Flower (Dread Fowl CONFIRMED! See the Dread Fowl Pic above! Credit to Angelbane)

- Spy Marinating [Praying Mantis]

- Invite Purl [Vulpine (of or resembling a fox), Lupine (pertaining to or resembling the wolf)] Kind of makes you think about that spirit wolf, doesn't it?

While looking through at the wallpaper, I just noticed something! The picture of the man, guess who he looks like.

tarncj2.png

For those of you who do not know, that man is Tarn Razolor. A necromancer who dwells beneath the Haunted Mine in The Lair of Tarn Razorlor (who woulda guessed he'd be there, eh?)

Also, in the wallpaper. There is a pile of strange green rocks. The Postbag mentions something close to this.

"As for the 'Eastern Lands' you speak of, I've generally equated them with fairy tales told to impressionable children, but I concede that it is possible that these lands exist. As most of the fairy tales refer to... 'one-legged, one-eyed men of lymestone'..."

Most likely a new area with these strange creatures. I believe it will be tied with the Varrock Museum expedition trip.

I recommend EVERYONE who has read my thread to head on over to this one.

Summoning - Pictures (HUGE PROOF | PICTURES ARE 99% REAL)

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=718 ... sc&start=0

Are You Ready For Summoning? - A thread by Kingryanj

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?p=5607831#5607831

Feel free to add your own comments or discoveries.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...

This is the truth!

This is my belief!

...at least for now.

"The Mystery of Life"

Vol. 841, Ch. 26

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Behind the Scenes - March 2004

There will of course be lots of new quests. We will be adding these on a regular basis again, including Part 4 of the ongoing plague city storyline.

New items:

- Enchantable rings.

- More rare weapons and armour - including weapons with impressive special moves.

- More clothing to help give your characters a unique look.

- Special prayer book items which can be wielded in the shield spot for prayer bonuses.

New features & skills

- Treasure hunt mini-game with a variety of rewards, including some new rare items.

- Summoning spells - summon skeletons, demons, etc...!

A quest journal for....

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

Thanks to the amazing talent of Jopie211 for the sig!

Finest Fist of Guthix Strategy Guide

Hm, I read that but didn't feel like putting it up since it's been put back in the light in the recent news articles and not so hidden. Anyways, I'll post it up. Thanks.

This is the truth!

This is my belief!

...at least for now.

"The Mystery of Life"

Vol. 841, Ch. 26

In the 2004 behind the scenes, Jagex said that with the release of construction and farming, you would be able to grow crops in your house (not what we have now), which didn't happen.

I'll be interested to see if they change summoning to where skeletons or demons don't make an appearance.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Well, I've seen a lot of things that Jagex has announced would happen that didn't. But plans change and projects are redesigned.

This is the truth!

This is my belief!

...at least for now.

"The Mystery of Life"

Vol. 841, Ch. 26

The Behind the Scenes picture was a Wolpertinger, not a Jackalope :P As you said about the Spirit Wolf, you can see that by copying the address of the picture.

Another hint of Summoning: Tarn's Lair, in the end after you killed Tarn you can read his diary, and basically it's a diary about him summoning things :P

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

Lol you call others mr. obvious

Other than the chaos elemental you've listed things that we all remember being told, largely because they are all IN the dev diary

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

well...

although it was clearly marked in the dev diary.. probably more so than anything baha.

but a while back they had an ad for knowledge base where the ad does a search for 'bulldog'

so on and so forth..

many people thought it was a reference to being able to have dogs as pets, this was about the same time those stray mutts came into the game. Kind of like.. a misleading hint lol.

but maybe, those stray mutts will somehow turn into a quest where you learn how to do summoning, kind of like herblore. Where it turns out those stray dogs are like.. summons gone wrong? or summons that never went back to where..

...errm..

summoned beings come from? :-s

dethklok123copy-2.gif

Goals:

Str: 86/90

Hitpoints: 85/90

Fletching: 96/99

Fishing: 74/80

Prayer: 61/70

Woodcutting: 82/85

Magic 80/80

Lol you call others mr. obvious

Other than the chaos elemental you've listed things that we all remember being told, largely because they are all IN the dev diary

I agree with Paw Claw, this thread has very little use, due to the fact that we all know that summoning is coming (be it a good or bad idea, I'll leave that opinion to you). So digging up hints about it in old bts seems pointless as we know it's coming, why did you decide to make this thread?

Sig.jpg

The mage who teaches the elemental wizards near air altar, sometimes summons something, zombie, skelenot, ghost... :ohnoes:

Yes, I've noticed that too. I've also noticed that he says that he will teach you necromancy sometime in the future. :-k At least we know Summoning is out, right?

j0xPu5R.png

I think you should add the new pictures that were shown next to updates, such as the wolpertinger and the spiritwolf.

These are probably going to be creatures that will will be able to summon, as they are not found in the game atm.

sugggggeh-2.jpg

Niall_Kay.png

99 Fletching | 99 Hunter | 99 Magic | Master of Quests

The mage who teaches the elemental wizards near air altar, sometimes summons something, zombie, skelenot, ghost... :ohnoes:

Yes, I've noticed that too. I've also noticed that he says that he will teach you necromancy sometime in the future. :-k At least we know Summoning is out, right?

hmm.. necromancer was a starting character in old rs, i doubt they will put that, and dark magic back in game.

not saying i'd complain if they did tho

Also, maybe there will be a quest to unlock the summoning skill, such as the druids allowing you to use herblore (Druidic Ritual), but this time Malignus Mortifer will be the one who teaches you how to use the skill? Just an idea :D

sugggggeh-2.jpg

Niall_Kay.png

99 Fletching | 99 Hunter | 99 Magic | Master of Quests

hmm.. necromancer was a starting character in old rs, i doubt they will put that, and dark magic back in game.

Necromancy IS summoning

Necromancy is the dark magical art of summoning beingto do you bidding, usually un-dead or savage beasts. But in essence it is summoning turned to dark ends.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Necromancy IS summoning

Necromancy is the dark magical art of summoning beingto do you bidding, usually un-dead or savage beasts. But in essence it is summoning turned to dark ends.

actually necromancy is the specific summoning of things that are dead, summoning as a whole means bringing something from somewhere else

Piscis_Rex.png

99.99999998465% of the world's population is not me, if you are the 0.00000001535% that is me, put this in you signature

-"being famous is like being a woman, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't"