Tip.it Times Presents: Maybe It���¢�¢â�š�¬�¢â�ž�¢s Not About the Money?

MPM

This week, we introduce the first of the Editorial panel. This week, Qeltar of Truthscape has and article for you.

Here is the link.

Maybe ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s Not About the Money? ~Qeltar

It would be a good idea if you were to go to the main site as well, and read about the update to the Times.

~M

I totally agree with the article, I went from 75 - 77 Fishing going for the big stuffable monsters and eventually got them. They mean so much more to me than the money I got from selling my sharks, I think sometimes money isn't the biggest factor. (Although it helps a lot. :wink:)

I have to admit, when I read the author and the title, I thought this was going to be another one of your crusades for your beloved free market. -.-

I was pleasently relieved though. :)

I think you raise some good points, and certianly the reasons you listed for wanting to train up skills at a negative profit are correct and I can't think of anything I'd like to add to that list. However, you seem to have overlooked one thing, which is that the level you're at very much defines your own ability as a character in the game. For example, it's pretty hard to go after the hardest monsters in RuneScape without Level 70 Ranged, but at the same time, being able to slay those monsters will bring great rewards once you can get there. Therefore, the exp needed to get to Level 70 Ranged becomes a commodity in itself (Hence why Chins cost so much, yet Black Sallys cost practically nothing). Therefore, whilst we may not be making as much profit (in terms of GP) back on our investment, the amount of exp (which in itself is a return) makes up for that deficit. Ergo, we actually make a profit overall, just not on a strictly GP-based basis.

For instance, if I buy 1K Flax for 100,000GP, I string that flax, then string a load of Willow Longs with it... there's no doubting I'll make a severe loss in terms of GP on that investment. But surely, I've gained so much exp in doing that, that that makes up for the loss I've incurred. That's a bad example, I know, but the point is there.

The point is that the GE is just having a big short-term effect on the RS economy. It'll improve soon.

As for skilling... I'm actually finding this the best time to train up. With Iron Ores so cheap, I could incur a much smaller loss than usual.

i think most skillers are pleased with the prices contrary to what you said. um buying skills just got that much cheaper... and some skills prices dont change much because alching amounts are already set.

there are some skills that are good for moneymaking and others that are better money sinks, it takes some skill to determine which is which and what to train, the materials to buy and the materials to get yourself etc. that takes knowledge and application to know how to manage your time best to accomplish what you set out to.

it's a mixed bag. cheaper materials and most skillers dont skill for money really. but if they want they can and there's tons of money to be made skilling depending on which skill and the materials needed. i dont separate combat from non-combat. i use all my skills for what i do and i can tell you i have more than enough money and i now have a few skills banked to 99 and i cant stop the floodgate of money coming in; it's just a matter of pretty much everything i do creates money; though that is not the goal, but it doesnt hurt.

if anything i'd say the markets have been freed up to buyers and sellers and what's been taken away is the waste of time standing around trying to buy or sell or bumping buying selling threads on a market forum.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

It's all about the capes.

Duh, everyone's goal in this game is to show off.

Not everyone.

Eh...

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I like how he addresses Farming as a money making skill, instead of a money draining one. Most players have this wild belief that Farming is like Firemaking or Construction, that you only lose money. Well I can tell you that any good farmer would profit on their road to 99 instead of losing substansial amounts of money. I really don't see a point in buying 99 using Magic Trees, if the thing they produce, Logs and Roots, don't come close to breaking you even. While the smart farmer, who plants Snapdragons or other herbs, can get a good amount of experience, as well as doubling profit everytime they harvest. :P

When I say the words "qeltar" and "money" I got a little worried, but after reading it I was suprised. It wasn't the view on this issue I was expecting to get. Great article and good points :thumbsup: .

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

As always Qeltar, a great bit of writing that should defiantly make a difference to how some people in the community.

From your list of reasons... I would place my self as a large collection of all of them.... I am never a fan of making a loss though and will aim to profit from my training where ever is possible.

It's important for me though that profit does not come at the expense of enjoyment, and so I am prepared to buy in 'stock' for aspects I find less enjoyable.

I know people who fit into every group you listed.... I have a few rank 1's, a few 200million xpers (or aiming for that - who will archive it) and some who are just in it for the skill cape.

it is important to remember that everybody is different, and just because people cant understand somebody's actions, does not mean they do not have a very valid reason for doing/aiming-for something

___

In reaction from what the message on the front page said, big well done for tip.it in the war, and I might attempt to write and article one day.... i even have the topic, but I would prefer to give it the justice it deserves so will wait till I have the right frame of mind.

sig2webzx7.jpg

If all prices are dropping, then people are in a way still getting lots of money for their skills.

Example:

Item 1 used to cost 200K, now it is only worth 147K.

Player A who uses a skill to collect Item 1 wants Item 2, made by player B.

Item 2 used to cost 4 Million coins, it is now only worth 2.8 millon coins.

As you can see in this example both items have only dropped around 25%, of course this is not the case with all of the econmy, but it shows that while some items are going down in price, some are going down by a similar percentage, meaning that while people are getting less money, they are getting the same percentage (for lack of a better word) of money as before.

Runescape Stats:

Dragonmaker9.png

Every stat on highscores!

My website.

While my main character never had to do tutorial island (I chose miner as my class), if I remember correctly the skills tutor told me that leveling my skills should be about the money.

So if you want to go and get high with me...

(hey, it must be the money)

so there's this thread in p2p general called "the most annoying things ppl do on runescape" i am tempted to post "ya wen im cybering with a girl and they log off for no reason"

I usually raise my skills for being self-sufficient, occasionally selling produce for a profit, but that's rarely.

I have 1 skill cape but never wear it (it's in my POH on the rack) so I definitely don't think of myself as showing off ;)

I just wish Jagex would stop faffing the best ways to raise skills in the mid-high ranges (60-85?)

Of those who say nothing, few are silent -=Thomas Neil =-

to be honest you dont even have to spend a dime to lv any skill in the game..... would take a lot longer yes but its still possible....

with construction you can gather planks from wildy and make nails with smithing or get from drops then make book cases to 99 construction..... its possible.....

evenvhunter doesnt require money..... couple a way you can do it.... finish lunar quests then use hunter kit spellvfor supplies.... orvdo imp mini game....so its therevown fault they lose money.... jagex didnt make it that way its how most players choose to play....

dj_phox.png

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I'm somewhat amused at the number of people who were 'afraid' of the article when they saw my name on it. :mrgreen:

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

qeltar - There appears to be one category of RS players that you missed on your list of categories. These are the self-sufficient people who play RS in what I consider to be the traditional way (and the way the game was intended to be played on its conception), ie. using the inter-linking between ALL skills.

Example : mine ores (mining exp) - smelt the mined ores (smithing) - make items from the smelted ores (smithing) - high alch the items (Mage exp). Include in this making Natures (runecrafting exp) by either mining the essence (a poor way to get essence) (mining exp) or getting the essence from monster drops (an excellent way of getting essence) (combat exp). Now cut teak logs (woodcutting exp) and make into planks (using money got from above high alching) and use for construction exp. Thus we have 7 skills all raised from one basic action - mine ores.

There are lots of other skills linkings that can be applied.

This category do not really care about the so-called RS economy and whether it is inflatory or deflatory. as everything they do is independent of the economy.

In case you were wondering I fall into this category, and so do, I suspect, many other players.

However, having said the above the GE has slightly changed the way I play when it comes to drops. Prior to the GE I would stockpile any drops I got (from slayer tasks) and high alch them when I wanted money for construction, or to buy items from shops that are not worth getting myself, eg balls of wool [the shops update with infinite supplies helped a lot here =D> ]. I did this mainly because I could not be bothered to waste time either getting into world 2, or standing in banks for ages continuously typing, say, "rune legs for sale". Hence, you could quite often see me high alching rune and dragon items. With the advent of the GE I can now easily sell items at greater than high alch price which allows me to do a trade-off increasing Construction (with the increased gp) at the sacrifice of some Mage exp. However, I still don't really care about the prices in the GE because if they get too close to the high-alch I will just resort to my old method of high alching the items.

Now i would have to say the person who loses the most money with this is the nature runecrafter. I mean to go from 300 ea easily to 250 is rediculous. It also helps the person who wants to buy there way to high mage lvls. One oddity on the raw materials market is yews. They keep goin up. Almost at 400 ea.

ajk822.png

4031st person to 99 Thieving on 5/25/2008

If anyone plays NBA Live '08 online on the Wii please PM me. I'm up for anyone.