Tip.it Times Presents: Fame

MPM

What are you striving for while you play Runescape? Is it to have a little fun, or to have your name remembered? Read this week's Times article, titled Fame and decide if fame is what you really want.

~M

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes you think, do we really want to be famous?

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

well written article! And really, what is it with people, wanting to be famous?

if you ask people what they want to be, there's always people that want to be famous or rich, because people think their life will be good the moment they do. I know so many people that have a goal in their life to be famous, and they are putting a lot of work into it as well. Although this might have to do something with that i'm attending a music "high school" (well, something in between high school and college,)

but what should be the "goal" of your life should rather being satisfied, find a job you like, have friends, be recognized a little ) et cetera. If a person could manage to focus on these things, and working to manage these, the life would also be much better, as people don't always think that the grass would be greener on the other side/that i could have been living so much better if i was rich/famous.

Scherzo.png

I like to be well known in my chosen community, and well known for respected reasons.... but the day sombody would run up to me and say "OMG it's Bobbington2!" I would think it's far too much.

I don't wanna' be a nobody...... and who does? it's always nice to know the people around you know your name.

Forums are probably one of the best ways to get famous as you say for saying nothing... it's a nice level of general overall raised knowledge of existence that gives you a nice warm fuzzy feeling :)

As for fame and power..... sure they are not the same but there is defiantly a positive correlation between the two

sig2webzx7.jpg

I disagree with the whole purpose that fame does not achieve power. If the term "power is achieved in numbers" is true then any famous person is powerful. Famous people have influence over others because other people will go to the end of the Earth and back just to meet them and satisfy thier every need.

Example: Zezima posts on forums for everyone to come to varrock and give him 1k on world 1. I think if he did this more than 50k people would come and give him a free 1k just to meet him.

Therefore famous people do have power because of their influence on others to get them to do what they desire.

But interesting read :)

1288581197250-1.jpg

I wanted to be famous when I first started RuneScape, then that aspect kind of died, and I wanted to be noticed by the RS community ever so more, then I joined Tip.It, it fed some of the wish, then I started to get into clans, and suddenly I was leading clans, and now I could care less whether or not someone notices me in-game, or online. It's a fickle thing in my opinion.

Good article.

that article is correct about many things. First fame is a thing that is very hard to come by. Second is taht power is better than fame.

But i disagree that that american general guy has no fame. He must be very famous in the army if he's only reporting to the president.

I know I want to be famous... unfortunatly I kinda gave up on 200m exp in magic, lol. But still, whats wrong with people rooting for you? people who want you to get above that other guy on the highscores or watever. If tons of people who have never met me ingame know my name, then when the time comes to quit, I'll feel like these last few years weren't a waist of time.

whiteknightyu9.png

yeata7.png

won1ew3.png

Snake6man.png

Whats your average lv? viewtopic.php?t=615571&start=0&pos

I remember one time when I was on a german server examining(sp) pigs. This one guy went up to me and said, "cool, it's jimjimson, I see you on the forums all the time". At that time I'd been an avid poster on the rants forum and a bunch of people probably saw it. It felt good to be noticed by a complete stranger, and I don't know why. I bet Pix and Theta get that a lot though.

I would put a cool link here but I don't know how.

Fame is a hate-love relationship.

As a merchant, fame contributed quite a bit to my trading succes, which for me was also the main reason I seeked it out. Merchanting is so much more than buy low and sell high - it's as complex as you want it to be. Although, the Grand Exchange is, sadly, taking out quite a few aspects of it and simplifying it greatly.

This may sound like a shameless plug but think about it.

Yay for plugs, plugpoints, and all things pluggy!

The Editor said about Zezima being mobbed when he wants to buy or sell - the Grand Exchange ftw :thumbsup:

Plugpoint92 ::'

EDIT: Post #150! Yaaaaaaay \'

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

~I liked this one, probably one of my favorites. As Duke said, it's getting tougher to be a merchant these days, a lot tougher... But if you can still do it, and you're good at it, i feel that you should be know for it. I think i've achieved a fair degree of fame, atleast ingame, for essentially inventing the "Items for Rares" trade. I like the fame sometimes, but sometimes it simply irritates you, and you want everyone else to just shush.~

~Homer~

Our_Moon.png

Er...some Russian chief? I think you meant "chef". And this sentence needs some cleaning up:

I would imagine this would get quite annoying of this day after day.

Ten lashes with a wet noodle to the Editor and the person reviewing the articles before they are published. For shame! :lol:

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

Fame is a hate-love relationship.

As a merchant, fame contributed quite a bit to my trading succes, which for me was also the main reason I seeked it out. Merchanting is so much more than buy low and sell high - it's as complex as you want it to be. Although, the Grand Exchange is, sadly, taking out quite a few aspects of it and simplifying it greatly.

Sorry for being off topic but while it's here..... I would actually disagree with the GE simplifying merchanting, it seems to be allot more complex now, with chance greater rewards for those who can predict future changes in the markets.

For example with changes mentioned in the official forums about correcting some prices, maples logs would be a very sensible thing to stock up on now while they are cheap to sell on later.

I think the new system requires much more skill and judgment rather than just buy low sell high.

sig2webzx7.jpg