Tip.It Times Presents: Pixels

Kiara_Kat

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! :D

Pixels

swampjedi

You've all seen the posts, heard the comments.

"Oh, he's just a nerd who loves pixels."

"Stupid pixel hugger!"

"It's just pixels, who cares if you got scammed/died/hacked."

First, I'd like to deal with the "pixel hugger" variety of insults. When, pray tell, do people pull out this insult? It's usually when someone "safe eats" or teleports or uses prayer during a player vs player encounter. So, basically, it boils down to...

Click here to read the rest of this article.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second type of comment is the one that is really grinds my gears,
HAHA theres no way that can be a coincidence. He must have read my "Grinds my Gears" topic :lol: .

He took the words right out of my mouth...I didn't write this...right? :shock:

The second type of comment is the one that is really grinds my gears,
HAHA theres no way that can be a coincidence. He must have read my "Grinds my Gears" topic :lol: .

Or watched Family Guy.

I know, just a strange coincidence...

That was probably one of the most eloquent articles I have yet seen written for the times. It is a thoroughly thought out and supported piece of rational reasioning against what one considers offensive. But my favorite part of it was how he summed it all up: "How you act when no one is looking is the clearest indicator of the strength or depravity of your true character. "

Absolutely compelling.

"How you act when no one is looking is the clearest indicator of the strength or depravity of your true character. "

yeah, he's deffinetly a little excited...dont worry its not a glitch...d legs are meant to stretch in that area for that reason.

To bad a majority of the kids playing this game will never finish reading the article. Even if they do I think it would be safe to say they'd just blow the article off as sappy dribble from an adult and continue their "noob bashing" and scamming.

gildogg.png

In a world without fences, who needs GATES?

Very nice and thought out article. I really enjoyed it. Thanks Swampjedi.

How you act when no one is looking is the clearest indicator of the strength or depravity of your true character.

Ugh...how true. :)

halo2sigcj2.png

Thanks Jason321 for the sig!^

Proud to have served the Tip.it Crew

Drops: 2x D Chain, 1x D Legs, 2x D Left Half, 1x D spear, 2x D med (monsters), 5x D Med (Barrows), 4x D Axe, 2x Zerker, Abyssal whip x1, 7x D Boots

Barrows items: 55 (not counting the meds)

I liked it, as always we need refreshment courses on how to be nice. Also remember, you are playing with other people, not just another computer, but some people dont want you to know that. :-$

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Well, be as rude as you want to autoers! They're not alive, unless they happened to be named HAL. :shock:

Good point, and I do know a HAL... :uhh:

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

To bad a majority of the kids playing this game will never finish reading the article. Even if they do I think it would be safe to say they'd just blow the article off as sappy dribble from an adult and continue their "noob bashing" and scamming.

The only thing that saves you from me smashing you to pieces is the 'majority' comment. Erg. I don't noob bash. At least, i don't ever remember doing it. Maybe it's because i played games with a much better community than RS before i started playing it.

Nice article though swampjedi. I liked it a lot.

vivi.jpg

Which FF Character Are You?

"The only tyrant i accept in this world is the still voice within." - Mahatma Gandhi

newscapere4.gif

A fascinating, thorough, and above all else - a correct viewpoint on the RuneScape community!

If someone is rude to you, brush it off and don't be rude back. Just because one guy pees in the pool doesn't mean you should do it too. If you do, it only fouls the water even more. This is part of the reason our community is so negative.

Unfortunetly, the kind of people that this quote most relates to won't have the patience, or perhaps in some cases the intelligence, to understand or even finish the article, and will merely brush it aside as some geeky adult trying to be clever... needless to say, I couldn't disagree more! -.-

tat was ok..but dont the rs rules already state to be kind?anyways yeah i guess i can agree with the whole lossing a party hat would be worse tan losing $20 ..even if i dont have a party hat lolz well tats bout it.. :twisted:

Will get a new Siggy, if I get around to it[/size]

A fascinating, thorough, and above all else - a correct viewpoint on the RuneScape community!

If someone is rude to you, brush it off and don't be rude back. Just because one guy pees in the pool doesn't mean you should do it too. If you do, it only fouls the water even more. This is part of the reason our community is so negative.

Unfortunetly, the kind of people that this quote most relates to won't have the patience, or perhaps in some cases the intelligence, to understand or even finish the article, and will merely brush it aside as some geeky adult trying to be clever... needless to say, I couldn't disagree more! -.-

I've posted my comment on his blog (I saw there, there was a new times).

And personal I didn't like the encouraging part of being nicer against each other. I mean, at least 90% who reads those articles are already being nice. So to them it's just pretty obvious.

But I liked the psychology part very much. With the quote as best thing.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

I could not agree more with this brilliant piece of writing.

Something many people don't understand is that yes, Runescape is a game, and yet it's not just a game. When you introduce the human element to anything, it becomes more. Those pixels are real people with real feelings, and those pixels often represent a lot of time, effort and fun.

And something the editor doesn't mention - those pixels sometimes have real friends behind them.

Runescape isn't just a game, it's a real community with real people. And if people just stopped to think about that more, maybe we'd hear less "noob"s and more "hey"s.

Heh Hehe. I actually joined just to respond to this, the first really good article I've seen in months of monitoring this site. It had some good thoughts, and I hope people take it to heart... or at least the people who need to. Good job :D

P.S. I'm only 15 and a sophomore in high school, so you have a kid supporter... of course I'm known as an intellectual, wimp, and... well... I still count!

mr_moron72.png

Look at my evidence of geekdom... MWAHAHAHA!

It's another great artical, I have a lot of respect for the people who write these, whilst I have never been a bad player, at one point I made no special effort to be 'nice' to players ingame, I was just who I was.

But about 1.5 years ago, I began to try and change who I am in real life, and tried to be a better person. I made sure I pushed this ingame, and I always pretended to be a better person than I realy was, The real world me folowed.

Being a nice person makes you a nicer person! I am a better person because of this game! and i'm darn proud of it.

Ive always never understood the nieavity (I wish i could spell :P) of playes who say "pixal lovers" etc, it is clear to me that they totay lack the ability to have empathy, good on them if they instantly get over an insident if it happens to them, but anyone should understand that we are all realy people.

Items = Pixals

This equasion is true! items in the end of the day are just pixals, but wait what is this equasion missing?

Time! Time is needed for a player to collect these pixals, without time you dont get your pixals. So!

Time = Pixals!

This is also true! but whats that phrase that often people often say?

Time = Money

and so

Items = Money

So surely you could argue that losing an ingame item can be related to a real life loss, you have lost the time and effort that you have put into gaining an item.

Time is what people are proud of, time is why people respect the guy with 70 attack and a whip. We dont love pixals, we love time, and a loss of time ingame IS a loss of time in life.

sig2webzx7.jpg

This is the best tip.it article ever in my opinion. Great read :thumbsup: Makes you think about some stuff for awhile

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

First off great article =D>

And second about the "pixel hugger" variety of insults, I do see where they are coming from some times; like when its 10 against just you. However, I don't think that they realise how hypocritical of them it is when they call you a "prayer noob" or an "eating noob" when they turn around and do the exact same to you. Maybe it's just younger, spoiled kids that want things there way :shame: .

And I do understand where the "it's only pixels" people come from. (And I am NOT one of them :evil: ) Theres quite a few at the school where I'm currently going to. Most either A. don't play games, B. play a game like World of Warcraft where you don't lose your items. C. Had a bad experience before (hacking scamming etc.) and are trying to ruin/ take the fun out of gaming for everyone else :? . And I agree a great deal with an earlier post that explaind the "items=money" solution to show other how much we really care about the items that we worked for.

And to the people that can "act however in game but not have it affect them in the real world" that is just crap :shame: . This isn't Morrowing; you ARE playing against a real person with real feelings. So you are who you are.

So I agree 100% with swampjedi on this one. These problems need to be adressed more. :-#

And I forgot to mention, I have to admit that I lose my temper sometimes to hearing people DEMAND to see a skill cape emote and that one just really rubs me the wrong way :-X . So I guess all of us need to work on this alot more.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!