Tip.it Times Presents: What's your final goal in Runescape?

MPM

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well written article, one of the best so far.

My ultimate goal in Rs is

99 Range

Full Armadyl

Gold Cw Armor :ohnoes:

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

At some point, get 99 fishing. But right now, I am taking a really long break from that. I decided I want to get 1500 total before my 99 fishing, and some other skills. I take time to enjoy RuneScape, when I finish my homework. Plus, on the weekdays, I only have an hour on my computer, so I try to have fun. Right now though, I am getting pretty overworked from fighting metal dragons, but if I get a good drop, I'll use the money for skills. Or maybe raise Agility to 70, that's been a goal I've been trying to complete for awhile. RuneScape is a game, and it's all about having fun, and meeting great people (that includes Tif).

i posted before but i just remembered this...

Each passing moment will never be the same again. Enjoy life as it goes, other wise when you die, you have not lived. You don't know what you got till its gone. As time progresses, you'll miss the days when you were a noob, when the rs world was a mysterious world to explore. I already miss the days when i was a noob(two years ago...) To be honest, rs was much,much,much more fun when i was level 18 mining in the dwarven mines chatting and making new friends, dreaming of the day id be 100+. Now that day as come(currently lvl 110 1712 total) rs seems boring compared to the old days.As you get older, time goes faster. Enjoy the time you have, it's not the destination, its the journey. No one cares about the end, its the journey that makes it worthwhile. I mean thats why we read books, and books don't have a 10 page ending.

p.s. "Everyone will say that they have died, but not everyone can say they have lived."-unknown

If you just live your life setting goals, you can say you have accomplished something, but you would not have used your gift of life wisely.

one of the best articles yet

When i have a goal it is usually short term. my freinds tell me tha ti should stick to something like get 99 wc for instance. I do not want to get that all in one go because i would get burnt out and it would be boring. Eventually i will get it and when i do i will know that i can. for if you dont try you will never know if you can do something

Oh and look at the sig vvvvvv i think it makes a point (not sure what though)

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

[hide]

the reason why we have goals is so we can experienced more whether it be a skill or in an item.

i for example got to 75 fletching that was one one my goals and i said to myself over and over again while fletching that i would make millions and get really rich when i finally reach this goal. this goal led to many others expanding my horizons based on this one goal. from experiencing my (first) 3rd mill i got to the point where i said to myself well... hey look veracs is only 5.something million i have 3m lets EXPAND my horizons on ways to make money while still doing fletching i made money and more money.

i eventually got 83 fletching and i got veracs and i killed the kalphite queen. ( that was another goal of mine. along with goals come challenges. that little (big for people who are going to make fun of me for it) bug gave me hardly any trouble)..

and while i complete each goal after another i see that i can give others advice while i do each goal of every day. when i talk to friends of mine and i ask what they're up too they say oooh... im just picking flax in seers; well i can help them by saying well if you go to Lleta (elf place) theres a place where you can pick flax thats right next to the bank. and then i can also tell him, you can spin your flax in lumbridge castle and thats within walking distance to the bank.

You look me straight in the eye and tell me you have no goals at all when you play runescape. if you don't then you DO NOT PLAY.

reasoning: when you're working on smithing and you go oh hey i got 26 mithrill ore from a random event well lets go mine myself some coal so i can get some smithing exp or even just have the peace of mind of not looking at that mithrill ore day-to-day (or even the bank space).

whether or not its a short term goal such as this it doesn't matter. a goal can last about half a second.

reasoning: ooh i have weeds in my bank that I'm not going to need at all. lets drop these. so you drop them . thats a GOAL. goals don't need to be of a certain time period they just need to have an end result whether or not its good or not depends on what you do or who is doing the goal.

I'm very disappointed in this article i expect better in this article from the editor.

*i invite some one to disagree with me and give their opinion based on what i said. if anything i want people to realize the sense of my reasoning.*

You missed the point of the article, he wasn't saying "Don't have goals..." He was saying, there's no point in having those goals if they are full of monotiny and don't bring you any happiness. Also, even if your argument would have had a valid point it doesn't do you any favours opening your argument with a snide and unintelligent comment.

[/hide]

ok dont all goals have monotony in them? say if you're trying to do very well in math. you do your home work, listen in class and do well on the occasional test. is there no monotony in that? i think its repetitive, like a lot of things in life there are things of that nature that are tedious. as another example: in life there are very few things that vary. you wake up brush your teeth, eat breakfast (if you do), go to school(or work) then spend most of your day doing that, you come home, r and r which is usually the same depending on your mood but that doesnt change wether its video games or reading a book. as for weekends that varies because sometimes you are not in control of what you are doing. much like runescape. you will either be doing quest after quest with the same plot- something is wrong and you get a reward at the end and that gets you closer to something you want (goal any one?). well the quest is similar to your job. you either really like it and get some-what of a good reward at the end of the day (quest) or you have a boring/aggravating plot/task. now as for skills in the game, what about combat skills? once you hit 70 ranged you master the skill, and there isnt much of a point in progressing in that unless you want to hit that 99 cape or you just enjoy what the skill offers. now once you have killed that monster to get 70 ranged its pretty much the same from there on in. you got a bow arrows and your armor and you go to a spot where you wont get hurt (or get hurt) and you start shooting arrows at the monster. now pking with ranged is like the aforementioned weekend. its almost the same but it isn't. you shoot your arrows at another player and now your risking everything from your ranged potions to that dark bow that your (might be) are using, but that is the risk with a lot of the things you do in runescape.

the devils advocate- i do agree that i was wrong in saying what i did in my intro and i fixed that. I'm deeply sorry for saying a rude thing such as that.

i did kinda move away from the point of the article and the meaning of what he meant when he said that if theres a goal you shouldn't only do it just to say i've done it and now what's next you should also do it to know what you went through to get to that point in that skill. i do applaud you for such a good point.

i do again apologize for saying what i did about the article. that remark has been fixed. i don't expect any one to take me seriously but just know i fixed it and that I'm sorry.

1004.png

Wow, watching this thread is better than pro wrestling! =D>

This thread is probably better than pro wrestling because the fights here are real (And the boobs).

yanks, the reason that we have goals is not straight forward, nor set in stone, nor law. It varies from each different person. You for instance, did it for experience. Some may do that too, but some may also do it for motivational purposes. People set goals for themselves to make themselves organized, so they know EXACTLY what they want to do.

You are also missing the point in the article. You have interpreted that this is saying that you shouldn't have goals (from what i understand from what you said) and that you always have goals, no matter what.

This is true, and no one disagrees with you...

If you read carefully, you can understand that it means that people get so caught up in their goal, and so frustrated with things, that they forget about what the game is about. About having fun. You make goals with that, yes, and that is good, but it's about people getting way to caught up in them.

Good read, as usual.

I've always played runescape for fun, not so much for long term goals. If anything, my real goal in runescape is to have tried everything at least once. That is why my stats are all so close together, and I don't have any 99s (I do have a quest cape though). The great thing about runescape is that we get updates every week, so there is always something new to do. Because of this, my goal can continue indefinitely!

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

this was really a great article, as it applied to real life as well as RS. this article spoke to me in both ways, so now i can hopefully use what i may have learned to better my experiences.

QUALITY ARTICLE!

proud quest cape owner

here's my first post on the TIF (scroll to the bottom)

feel free to pm me, but do make sure that i know you're a Tip.It user (in other words, give me a HYT)

signatureTIF.jpg

This is a great article. I've noticed many of these things in my life in the last few years as I've been growing up, mainly in real life though.

The main thing i've noticed, is that when your not enjoying the present, and your looking forward to the future, it only makes the present go by faster. This may seem like a good thing at the time, but once your where you want to be, you'll wish you could go back... :cry:

It's really quite depressing how time flys and theres NO GOING BACK

Anyways...loved the article

He hit the nial on the head with the journey to 99 is the funnest.

I think I'd like to quit with 99 mining/99 smithing under my belt :)

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I noticed this exact same thing about 6 months ago. Around the time i got my first 99. After playing with the cape for a while it was quickly onto the next goal. I realised that this is like a never ending cycle, as soon as i stop grinding one goal i'll be grinding the next. Now i try and mix grinding exp with doing fun things. i'll spend maybe 2 hours grinding, then a few hours boss killing or having fun in minigames. Quite often i'll notice some of my friends that are still totally target driven have overtaken me but i think i've got a lot more personally from the game by stopping to have fun on the way.

red-mask-sig.gif?t=1238621802

MSSW4Banner.gif

Runescape is a never ending game, so I don't have a goal.

+1

well, not nemore

after i got 99 attack i started doing w/e i wanted to keep it fun.

neway, great article, as always

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

I don't think I have any specific goals.

Maybe to maintain a place inside the top 500 players, or lvl 99 on all of the skills that I enjoy (I have 8 so far).

Or until Jagex completely ruin it by adding even more randoms or fail to find a solution to the autoers.

Harrington.gif

Endorphins.

Absolutely.

I play until I get a little hit of endorphins from achieving something. This is why I tend to set myself very small goals: I really don't want to spend vast amounts of time for a small reward. Eventually, I'm sure I'll reach a point where the gaps between rewards no longer make playing worthwhile, and I'll move onto something else. Cost/benefit, and all that.

Oh, and quests. Quests are fun.

Awesome article. I thought I'd write the above as a counterargument to it, presenting the case for ignoring the journey entirely. Be aware that this may not be my viewpoint.

"Join me next week on 'Let's Make No Freaking Sense', when I shall be waxing an owl."

- Green Wing

Barrows Drops: 1x Verac's Flail, 2x Karil's Crossbow, 1x Torag's Hammers, 1x Karil's Leatherskirt, 1x Karil's Coif

i once thought it was absolutely impossible for someone like me to achieve 99 in any skills. but with determination i did manage to get my first 99 in def and it was a great accomplishment for me...now im currently working on 99 range too. when i first start playing any game the objective is usually to chill out and relax after a day of hard work and i guess this applies to most people to. however after seeing how many ppl get 99 in skills and the things one can do with 99 we naturally start dreaming about it and working towards these goals too.

thus ive decided that on my journey to 99 range and 85 slayer ill only train during the weekdays and barrow/cw/kill kq/dk during the week ends. to some these might be ways of making money and i know some ppl do these activities all day long. however to me the excitement and anticipation of what ill get when i open the barrow chest is really immense. and when i do get a piece of armour the joy is greater of course but even if i dont get anything im usually still quite satisfied.

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

in reply to yanksrule

things may be monotonous, but they dont have to be tedious. just because you do the same thing over and over again doesnt mean that it must be a boring chore. i mean, when it comes down to it, all you do in runescape is click a mouse, over and over and over. but you enjoy clicking that mouse, you enjoy the stuff that you do in game because you clicked the mouse.... vÃÆÃâÃâóila! a monotonous yet enjoyable task!

if you find something tedious to do in, my opinion, you shouldnt be doing it. admittedly, you cant apply this to many things in rl, there's stuff you simply have to do wether you enjoy it or not, but in game.... d it for fun, not for the levels.

sometimes there are days when i really want to hit you..... this is one of those days

mohammed ali said a lot of stuff, most of them very witty. i am the greatest! the world has ever seen, float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

Theres always one more goal once u get this one and then that. the greatest goal is to remove zezima from his place as rank 1, he's been there too long! also quest cape and full dragon

then i will be content, but im gonna have to wait until zezima dies of old age before my first goal becomes a reality

Forget all of those nuts who go with the crowd! go with your gut instinct, unless your gonna die, thats why i wrote this, cause i went with my gut

well, couldn't agree more about this topic, this is absolutely true 100%, everyone just wants thing they don't have. Once they achieve it or get it, then it's just nothing but another thing in the past. So I guess everyone should look at their account and congratulate themselves what they did for their character. It is a game to break away from reality, but soon many people go after goal that make them happy for a couple hour, within a day, week, month it will all be nothing but news from yesterday. I am Glad you brought up this topic, it absolutely hold true to everyone, including myself. Maybe it is time we all stop going for thing that would make us happy for a while and go and help some new player and make new friend. That is just my opinion.

ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâéTran

ductran1989.png