Grand Exchange: Your thoughts?

ego_scorpion

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JaGeX lately have been cracking down on unbalanced trades, and so i'm sure that having all of the unbalanced trades in one spot would only make idenifying them easier.

I would copy and paste a J Mods reply from the RSOF onto my post, but i am currently on my Wii :wall:

sugggggeh-2.jpg

Niall_Kay.png

99 Fletching | 99 Hunter | 99 Magic | Master of Quests

Plus I have a feeling certain items will have price caps placed on them within GE eg all store bought items can't go higher than the instore price

I honestly doubt Jagex do something like that. The item may be buyable through a store somewhere in RS, but it may be a nuissance to travel to that area, or it may require a certain achievement (quest) or somewhat dangerous. Going to the GE would be more convenient, as everything would be buyable from one place. Why shouldn't someone be able to charge more than what they payed for the item? They took the time necessary to travel to that other store to buy it.

My belief is that you must be logged in for your goods to sell. I really don't think Jagex would go with the idea of your RuneScape account working for you while you are away from your computer.

gee.. you think Jagex hasn't thought of this? It's not even out and you half-baked morons are scheming of ways of how you're going to fool Jagex and make some profit to get more imaginary gold pieces. How pathetic..

The point of this forum is to discuss, hence the name General Discussion. All their doing is talking about what could possibly happen.

Ot: Hadn't thought of this possibility, maybe there will be a way to report overpricing of items :-k

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

gee.. you think Jagex hasn't thought of this? It's not even out and you half-baked morons are scheming of ways of how you're going to fool Jagex and make some profit to get more imaginary gold pieces. How pathetic..

The point of this forum is to discuss, hence the name General Discussion. All their doing is talking about what could possibly happen.

Ot: Hadn't thought of this possibility, maybe there will be a way to report overpricing of items :-k

there seems to be a thread on this every week about the same thing. It's getting really old

If I am Jagex:

(1) I log every transaction.

(2) Every day I check the transactions against current reasonable market prices. For example, I make note of all the chisels that sold for over 100 gp each. This can be a batch routine run on every day's transactions.

(3) Bannage of all accounts concerned.

I'd wager that is one of the major motivations for the GE - to make it easier for Jagex to trace the flow of good and gp through the game and hold people accountable.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Yea I'm thinking that maybe the GE will be made so that trades can only be made when you're online. This should probably help stop drop traders.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

~Yeah, i brought this point up on a Suggestions thread. The owner had it locked, and the day after, Jagex announced they were going to (almost exactly) take that thread's idea.~

Ex: Player One puts up a Blue Phat for 1 Gp, while he is logged on to his other account, Player Two, on another computer. He buys it from Player Two -->Drop Trading without the dropping...

~I'm almost sure that Jagex will have done something to prevent this. Otherwise, RS is going to go into a depression.~

Our_Moon.png

~Yeah, i brought this point up on a Suggestions thread. The owner had it locked, and the day after, Jagex announced they were going to (almost exactly) take that thread's idea.~

Ex: Player One puts up a Blue Phat for 1 Gp, while he is logged on to his other account, Player Two, on another computer. He buys it from Player Two -->Drop Trading without the dropping...

~I'm almost sure that Jagex will have done something to prevent this. Otherwise, RS is going to go into a depression.~

Yeah. Someone else would pick it up. This would only be used to transfer cash by selling useless crap extremely high. But please, do put a Blue Phat on there for 1gp. I dare ya.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

Yeah. Someone else would pick it up. This would only be used to transfer cash by selling useless crap extremely high. But please, do put a Blue Phat on there for 1gp. I dare ya.

~One --> I don't sell my Hats.~

~Two --> What if they did it on a remote, Non-Members server right after a huge update, when only like 4 people are on one server?~

Our_Moon.png

I doubt Jagex is worried about this at all.

Consider that detecting drop trading now is not very simple. They'd have to watch for specific items being dropped and then see who picked them up and under what circumstances.

In contrast, doing this on the GE would be very obvious, very public (thousands of people would see it) and very easy for Jagex to monitor.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

~One --> I don't sell my Hats.~

~Two --> What if they did it on a remote, Non-Members server right after a huge update, when only like 4 people are on one server?~

~Consider --> the grand exchange spans all servers~

i've drop traded or multi-log traded over 20 times, no time did i ever get a warning or black mark. maybe they just figured it's not really that bad since you did earn all that money in the first place

i don't see them being able to stop this if they can't even stop me from obvious drop trades tons of times. i did quite a few extremely noticeable ones on purpose and nothing was ever done about it. dropping a rare on the floor and logging into another account to pick it up, i don't know how much more clear i could make it. they don't have good detectors of drop trading.

i'd think this would effect rl trading more

What?

m_theory11.png

There's quite a bit of speculation about the upcoming Grand Exchange. While many people think that the GE will push prices down, I think it will actually drive the prices up. This is what I think:

First of all, my analysis is based on five assumptions:

1. The GE will basically function as a large player-owned shop

2. Players will be able to set their prices for their items

3. Players will only be able to use the GE to sell items, and not buy them

4. Players will be able to buy items from the GE like from a shop, with just a few clicks

5. The GE will be available to free players

The most important assumtion is #2. If players could not set their prices, then this analysis will be wrong.

---

In the current system, items in small amounts aren't worth a lot, and those in bulk will usually cost more per unit. However, in very large amounts, the price often goes down again.

For example, a player with less than 50 pieces of coal may be able to sell them for only 150 each. However, if the player has a very large amount, (s)he can usually sell them for 200 GP each with little difficulty. Some players might offer discounts for very large amounts. For example, someone might sell coal for 190 GP each if the buyer buys more than 1,000 at a time, or 180 each if the amount is over 2,000 (see piecewise linear function).

The reason that many sellers offer bulk discounts is to reward the buyer for buying from them. With the GE, the seller will not be able to target specific players with certain prices, and will mostly list their highest reasonable price (200 GP in this case).

The reason that most buyers do not pay much for items in small amounts is that the seller is mostly likely trying to clear the bank and is not serious on making any profit on the item, and that finding individual sellers who offer small amounts is very time consuming. However, if such sellers use the GE, players will still be able to buy them as if from a general store. Thus, even these sellers are likely to list the highest reasonable price.

Here's another thing. Some items in high demand are worth much more to individual buyers than people buying in bulk. For example, a player desperate for a law rune might pay 1,000 GP each, while a player planning to use them for training magic might pay only 300 GP each. That's a 700 GP difference.

Suppose that a player wants to sell 100 green dragonhide bodies. He can sell all 100 bodies at 6,000-7,000 each, but that will probably take days. However, if (s)he sells the bodies for 4,450 GP each, it might only take minutes. The player might save 50 hours of selling time by sacrificing 155,000 GP. In those 50 hours, the players could have made much more money or gained a lot of EXP. Most players would choose the latter option. However, with the GE, the player can have the items sold automatically, while the player gains skills. Thus, this will drive the prices up.

Any thoughts?

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

I agree with you, as soon as it comes up im going to be posting up all the rares i have spare up at marked up prices, and i suspect most other rare owners will do the same, seeing as we dont have to stand arround trying to find a buyer anymore we can just list the price we originally wanted and sooner or later some one will buy it.

Im gonna laugh if im the first post so long after you posted this.

Anyways, I still think that this update will have quite an interesting twist to it, which quite frankly, I think may still be nothing like anything anyone has been throwing out there around here lately.

Anyways, assuming that we go with your assumption and that your assumption is somewhat similiar to most of the other ones that I have been hearing.

Then I would say that I suppose that this could happen, but after a while most players will figure out certain items wont sell for certain prices no matter how hard they try and how long they let the certain item sit in there.

Also as for the quick sale items. Don't forget that this place is located in varrock. So its not like if you run out of laws you will be able to buy one of the 300 gp each law runes without being able to tele there first. So In this example, people will still have to buy that first 1k law to get to varrock to buy more at 300 each lol.

Anyways, we got about a few hours more to...Plus a week :lol: to wait to find out. :wink:

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

I agree with you, as soon as it comes up im going to be posting up all the rares i have spare up at marked up prices, and i suspect most other rare owners will do the same, seeing as we dont have to stand arround trying to find a buyer anymore we can just list the price we originally wanted and sooner or later some one will buy it.

Lol as if people werent going to do this. Yet I was hoping Id be the only one to think of it like this. And yes Ive been wanting to sell for a while, now maybe ill finally have a chance to. If the selling rares for marked up prices that people is expecting to happen, doesnt happen, or work out right. Then Ill finally be able to list at a decent price without having to hear all the "your a noob for asking 100k off of the real price bs" that world 2 and the forums are when in regards to trading rares.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]