"I want a girlfriend/boyfriend", and other such relationship advice

Da_Latios

How do you guys feel about starting a relationship shortly after ending one? It seems like some people demand a waiting period between relationships.

Best advice I can give you in terms most will understand.

Live your life the way you want. Haters will hate, flamers will flame.

How do you guys feel about starting a relationship shortly after ending one? It seems like some people demand a waiting period between relationships.

I guess it depends how you feel yourself - do what is best for you.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Like everyone else said, "waiting periods" are stupid. Date whenever you feel ready to.

Well....that's sorta what a wait period is :P

Some people give themselves a waiting period ESPECIALLY if it was a long/serious relationship that made a big impact. Funny thing is though, EVERY WOMAN I've met after their first serious relationship, goes out and starts sleeping with a multitude of men to "experience new things", but the guy from the relationship ends up waiting a long time before getting any form of action or back into a relationship.

Just a personal observation anyway.

Popoto.~<3

Like everyone else said, "waiting periods" are stupid. Date whenever you feel ready to.

Some people give themselves a waiting period ESPECIALLY if it was a long/serious relationship that made a big impact. Funny thing is though, EVERY WOMAN I've met after their first serious relationship, goes out and starts sleeping with a multitude of men to "experience new things", but the guy from the relationship ends up waiting a long time before getting any form of action or back into a relationship.

Sorry, I meant that the idea of an official or concrete waiting period is stupid.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Sorry, I meant that the idea of an official or concrete waiting period is stupid.

Oh right, yeah it is.

Popoto.~<3

Oh right, yeah it is.

I agree with that. I've just observed that some people tend to get upset when someone starts dating immediately after breaking up with someone.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

Oh right, yeah it is.

I agree with that. I've just observed that some people tend to get upset when someone starts dating immediately after breaking up with someone.

It makes them think that you were cheating on them probably.

I think the best way I could put it would be that people see a long waiting/recovery period between a breakup and starting dating again to be proof that their ex meant a lot to them. The thinking being that if you get right back on your feet just shows you didn't care about the other person anyway. Now, all that can certainly be true, but some people simply put things behind them faster than others, and come to terms with what has happened (and accept it) sooner. On the other hand, you have people that are totally devastated by the endings of even the most minor relationships (or just a friend moving away).

Long story short, some people will think your an unfeeling monster if you don't wait their arbitrary waiting period between relationships.

Also, be cautious making a move on someone who went through a breakup. I think the socially acceptable mandatory waiting period is 2 weeks, unless they make a move first. Sooner and they have every right to get mad at you.

Hey guys, I feel like I need to ask this here...

I'm heading into college in the fall. Gonna be a freshman (oh no, not again...), and it's a school where I'll know some people from my high school, but then there will be thousands of new people to meet everyday. My main question is how should I go about meeting all these new people and then eventually finding a girlfriend?

I guess some back story and whatnot would help. I had a girlfriend once. That didn't quite work out. She broke up with me after like two months and said that she loved me too much and then got scared... I don't really know what that means, but I guess it doesn't matter. I played varsity sports all throughout high school, but now I'm not doing anything like that in college. So I can't meet new people through sports like I did when entering high school. I would say that I have plenty of friends, meaning that I will talk to almost anyone that starts talking to me. I'm shy in the way that I won't talk to you if I haven't gotten to know you just a little bit. I guess I'm a little weird in that way. I honestly don't hang out with that many people outside of school or sports, so that is why me going to college is the perfect opportunity to expand my horizons and all of that college stuff I guess. If you hadn't guessed yet, I'm not really much of a party-er. I've actually had multiple girls tell me that I should party more, so I think that would be a good sign. (maybe?) But also, none of these girls were my closer friends. A lot of my guy friends from sports liked to party, but I'm not going to school with any of them next year, and I never partied with them in high school except for like twice.

I'm not sure what else I can say. This kinda turned into me just writing stuff to let other people know haha :)

But at the heart of this, I guess it's just how can I put myself out there in the social scene in college to meet new people and develop relationships? (Preferably a girl. Also, if both of us are college students, we won't have to spend money to hang out right? I don't have very much of that right now...) And if you actually read all that, I thank you!

Battlerifel.png

Battlerifel.png

My Blog: http://forum.tip.it/...el#entry3250508

My Forum entry: QFC - 48-49-627-63687284

Oh right, yeah it is.

It makes them think that you were cheating on them probably.

I'm with Tim in this discussion. Waiting periods are dumb as far as calculating factual numbers, but "too soon" will leave some people hurt. Just go with what feels right.

I'm heading into college in the fall. Gonna be a freshman (oh no, not again...), and it's a school where I'll know some people from my high school, but then there will be thousands of new people to meet everyday. My main question is how should I go about meeting all these new people and then eventually finding a girlfriend?

I guess some back story and whatnot would help. I had a girlfriend once. That didn't quite work out. She broke up with me after like two months and said that she loved me too much and then got scared... I don't really know what that means, but I guess it doesn't matter. I played varsity sports all throughout high school, but now I'm not doing anything like that in college. So I can't meet new people through sports like I did when entering high school. I would say that I have plenty of friends, meaning that I will talk to almost anyone that starts talking to me. I'm shy in the way that I won't talk to you if I haven't gotten to know you just a little bit. I guess I'm a little weird in that way. I honestly don't hang out with that many people outside of school or sports, so that is why me going to college is the perfect opportunity to expand my horizons and all of that college stuff I guess. If you hadn't guessed yet, I'm not really much of a party-er. I've actually had multiple girls tell me that I should party more, so I think that would be a good sign. (maybe?) But also, none of these girls were my closer friends. A lot of my guy friends from sports liked to party, but I'm not going to school with any of them next year, and I never partied with them in high school except for like twice.

I'm not sure what else I can say. This kinda turned into me just writing stuff to let other people know haha :)

But at the heart of this, I guess it's just how can I put myself out there in the social scene in college to meet new people and develop relationships? (Preferably a girl. Also, if both of us are college students, we won't have to spend money to hang out right? I don't have very much of that right now...) And if you actually read all that, I thank you!

You can hang with people that have classes with you by starting off "studying" together or just talking about classmates/professors/work. You can bond with people who also used to play sports, as I assure you there will be many of them, and you'll be able to tell who most of them are when you meet them. And yes, if you're looking to socialize nothing will get the job done more effectively than partying. This doesn't mean go out and get shitfaced and smoke yourself into oblivion, but it means gather some people let loose and have fun. Don't judge anyone you meet, smile, and have a story ready in the back of your mind. You should be alright.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I assume your college does some sort of orientation/frosh week (we aren't allowed to call it frosh week anymore here). This would probably be the single greatest opportunity to meet some new people you are going to get, especially if your not living on campus. If you are on campus (and I would recommend doing so for the first year at least for this reason if nothing else), then for the first week or so there should be a lot of socializing going on between the people in your residence, especially on whatever floor your on. This is another prime chance to get to know people and make new friendships, and people are an excellent way to meet even more people.

Next in line for meeting people is going to be the meal hall. You have about two weeks where it is socially acceptable to sit down with people you don't know, before the groups start to form and solidify. Not really the most fun experience in the world for the more shy among us, but again, its a good way to meet people, even if you only end up seeing some of them during meals.

Those are the big three chances you get when you first start out at university. The people you start with (orientation), the people you live with, and the people you eat with. Once classes start, there is also some ability to meet people in your classes, though as class size goes up (and first year classes tend to be big), I find it becomes harder to meet people. Might come down to how well you can get yourself to strike up a conversation with total strangers. Also look out for study groups, group projects, and possibly lab partners.

And the fifth major place I would say to meet new people (on your own) is going to be any sort of club. It could be climbing, paddling, chess, starcraft, etc. Groups of people where you talk to each other. Boom. Friendships.

Once you have your friends, even if your not super social, it opens up a lot of doors for meeting the friends of other people you know (including more girls), and for doing fun things like going to parties if that floats your boat.

You can hang with people that have classes with you by starting off "studying" together or just talking about classmates/professors/work. You can bond with people who also used to play sports, as I assure you there will be many of them, and you'll be able to tell who most of them are when you meet them. And yes, if you're looking to socialize nothing will get the job done more effectively than partying. This doesn't mean go out and get shitfaced and smoke yourself into oblivion, but it means gather some people let loose and have fun. Don't judge anyone you meet, smile, and have a story ready in the back of your mind. You should be alright.

I'll have to end up finding people to actually study and do school work with, or I know for sure that I'll fail. So I do think that can work for me. I'll be forced to basically. I'll be doing intramural sports, so I guess that will help with meeting them. I still find partying so very awkward. I just don't know what to do while I'm there. I think it's weird to just go up to a random girl I don't know and say, "hey, I'm bla bla bla..." I don't know if that's normal or not, but that really is my main problem. Honestly, I smile and generally try to enjoy myself when I'm out places, but if I'm put in a situation where I don't know people it I feel out of my comfort zone at all, I think I kind of shut down... :/ I need to work on that.

I assume your college does some sort of orientation/frosh week (we aren't allowed to call it frosh week anymore here). This would probably be the single greatest opportunity to meet some new people you are going to get, especially if your not living on campus. If you are on campus (and I would recommend doing so for the first year at least for this reason if nothing else), then for the first week or so there should be a lot of socializing going on between the people in your residence, especially on whatever floor your on. This is another prime chance to get to know people and make new friendships, and people are an excellent way to meet even more people.

Next in line for meeting people is going to be the meal hall. You have about two weeks where it is socially acceptable to sit down with people you don't know, before the groups start to form and solidify. Not really the most fun experience in the world for the more shy among us, but again, its a good way to meet people, even if you only end up seeing some of them during meals.

Those are the big three chances you get when you first start out at university. The people you start with (orientation), the people you live with, and the people you eat with. Once classes start, there is also some ability to meet people in your classes, though as class size goes up (and first year classes tend to be big), I find it becomes harder to meet people. Might come down to how well you can get yourself to strike up a conversation with total strangers. Also look out for study groups, group projects, and possibly lab partners.

And the fifth major place I would say to meet new people (on your own) is going to be any sort of club. It could be climbing, paddling, chess, starcraft, etc. Groups of people where you talk to each other. Boom. Friendships.

Once you have your friends, even if your not super social, it opens up a lot of doors for meeting the friends of other people you know (including more girls), and for doing fun things like going to parties if that floats your boat.

We had our orientation already, but it wasn't that great of a time to meet people. They had us very busy going to a bunch of different lectures about the university and so on that we didn't have too much time to socialize. I really just stayed with a couple of people from my high school. One guy that I talk to often enough that he is a friend, but I've never hung out with him outside of school. Another was a girl that I didn't talk to at all until this year. She is one of the people that said I should party more and even she has mentioned how I won't talk unless she really talks and says hi to me first. But after that initial talking, I'm usually perfectly fine.

I am living on campus I think for all of college. My parents want me to and honestly I'd like to get out of the house. I'm in the honors dorm, though, so I don't know how that will affect anything. Maybe the honors students like to party the most? :) I should be able to meet people in the dorm though.

Sitting with random people at lunch tables is going to be the hardest thing for me to do. I suppose I'll just need to get over any fears and just pick the most friendly looking people. Striking up conversations with random strangers will be hard for me to do. I think the real thing that makes this worse is that I can never tell if a girl likes me or is just friendly in general or is just being nice and/or flirty with me. Since I'm a nice guy, once I'm talking I'm sure I flirt a little. Make a couple jokes here and there, but I don't know when girls are trying to give me hints and what not. I'm most likely making it all up, but it would be nice to know. So many questions, but I'm not sure how to ask them. So let's just go from here. Thanks for the help so far.

Edit: wow, I really am talking a lot for a guy who doesn't like talking to strangers. I guess typing is different...

Battlerifel.png

Battlerifel.png

I'll have to end up finding people to actually study and do school work with, or I know for sure that I'll fail. So I do think that can work for me. I'll be forced to basically. I'll be doing intramural sports, so I guess that will help with meeting them. I still find partying so very awkward. I just don't know what to do while I'm there. I think it's weird to just go up to a random girl I don't know and say, "hey, I'm bla bla bla..." I don't know if that's normal or not, but that really is my main problem. Honestly, I smile and generally try to enjoy myself when I'm out places, but if I'm put in a situation where I don't know people it I feel out of my comfort zone at all, I think I kind of shut down... :/ I need to work on that.

We had our orientation already, but it wasn't that great of a time to meet people. They had us very busy going to a bunch of different lectures about the university and so on that we didn't have too much time to socialize. I really just stayed with a couple of people from my high school. One guy that I talk to often enough that he is a friend, but I've never hung out with him outside of school. Another was a girl that I didn't talk to at all until this year. She is one of the people that said I should party more and even she has mentioned how I won't talk unless she really talks and says hi to me first. But after that initial talking, I'm usually perfectly fine.

I am living on campus I think for all of college. My parents want me to and honestly I'd like to get out of the house. I'm in the honors dorm, though, so I don't know how that will affect anything. Maybe the honors students like to party the most? :) I should be able to meet people in the dorm though.

Sitting with random people at lunch tables is going to be the hardest thing for me to do. I suppose I'll just need to get over any fears and just pick the most friendly looking people. Striking up conversations with random strangers will be hard for me to do. I think the real thing that makes this worse is that I can never tell if a girl likes me or is just friendly in general or is just being nice and/or flirty with me. Since I'm a nice guy, once I'm talking I'm sure I flirt a little. Make a couple jokes here and there, but I don't know when girls are trying to give me hints and what not. I'm most likely making it all up, but it would be nice to know. So many questions, but I'm not sure how to ask them. So let's just go from here. Thanks for the help so far.

Edit: wow, I really am talking a lot for a guy who doesn't like talking to strangers. I guess typing is different...

I imagine your not one for drinking much than are you? Not that there's anything wrong with that, I have a friend who's never so much as touched alcohol but he gets along with my party animal friends just fine by being the sincere straight forward good guy. You admitted to having trouble initiating conversations with total strangers. I totally get that, it's something I struggle with, too. Just think of a short, interesting and/or funny story before you go out and have it ready in case of awkward silence, or initial small talk wears thin. Going up to a complete stranger in public is awkward as all hell, but in college, especially on campus people won't think you nearly as weird for it. To be perfectly honest I'd say over half the freshman population is in the exact same shoes as you, minus the individual details that make them other people. "hey how are you, where you from? oh do you know such and such? he's from there too. Last time I saw him was...."

It gets easier with practice. Plus after the first few encounters you can mirror the "proper" responses to situations that other people have said to you.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Sucks about the orientation. That was one of the things my Uni pulled off really well I thought. Aside from the lectures, we had stuff I guess I would hall spirit building, but we also had games (like 7 side CTF played out over half the campus), and we also had some other nighttime entertainment. Our university has a fairly substantial bar, so they had us in there one night (naturally not servering anything alchoholic that night), and we also had a hypnotist show. The bar/dance was the hardest one for me because that was night one, and so I hand't really gotten to know people yet, and dealing with 400 other people isn't really in the cards for me. But after a bit I managed.

And I hear you on the sitting with random people at tables. If you like, the easiest solution is to get to meals really early, and wait for other people to sit with you. Still though, I like to think of it as day 1 at a day camp in the summer (if you ever did anything like that). You just meet people. At least, I always manage too, even if I'm never quite sure how I did it.

And yeah, if you stop living on campus, you'd probably looking at an apartment or house with a group of friends. Generally not cheeper than residence though, unless you move into a real shithole. Here, residence runs at about the same cost as tuition though once you include food (and you have to have a meal plan).

And a final note, don't be afraid to go to parties. I am not much of a party person, but I do regret not doing more of that when I had a golden opourtunity to do so with the first group of people I lived with. I stopped doing that because its not really fun for me, but in retrospect, its a skill I might have preferred to aquire. Part of it is certainly exposure. Even if you never get excited about interacting with 20 people you've never met before, its nice to be able to do so without getting anxious and what not.

Alright, so recently I've decided that I really need to come out of my shell a bit. I had a number of friends and such back in grade 9 (2 years ago), but after that I kind of withdrew myself from them all, mostly due to me not being OK with drinking/drugs. That makes a long story short, now I finally got the guts to message a girl I used to be really good friends with/have really cared for, and I was surprised to find she messaged me back saying she'd like to talk to me again as well.

She's more or less the same as she was before (still drinking and whatever), but that's not really an issue for me any more, past the point that I choose not to do it, so things have been going pretty well while we've been talking the last week or so. I finally asked her if she wanted to go out and see a movie, she said yes so now we're going to see a movie on tuesday. My issue is that it has been so long that I've actually do ANYTHING with somebody that wasn't my own family I'm not so sure what to do other than just watch the movie. Even before I don't think I ever asked just her to see a movie or whatever. I know I should just have casual conversation or something, but I barely even know where to start with that. Online I'm pretty good at talking, but in person all the words seem to choke whenever it's anything even close to personal. I am hoping that eventually I could tell her how I've felt, since I've been in love (maybe?) with her for three years and we only talked for one of them. I say maybe because I'm always rather skeptical of teenage feelings, since sometimes they're just obsession or physical attraction. I like to think this is different, and that it can work, since I've never found any reason to think other wise.

I guess that's it, the TL;DR would be: Renewing old friendship and I'm not sure what to do in person, like if I should ask if she'd want to get some food, or do other stuff after the movie, and for future times.

Slayer; it's just what I do.
Thanks Hugger 88 for the awesome siggy!

Click show if you want to see achievements.

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png
Achievments: Maxed/Comp'd 7th of August 2012. 120 Dungeoneering sometime early december 2011. 99 Slayer achieved October 22nd, 2010. 99 Prayer achieved September 99 18th 2010. Summoning achieved September 14th 2010. 99 Defence achieved May 8th 2010. 99 Constituton achieved April 24th 2010. 99 Attack achieved on January 29th 2010 at 8:00 PM. Questpoint Cape on August 30th 2009.99 Strength (11:47 P.M. August 17 2009).

Hey guys, Thanks for the tips and such for my last problem/situation thing...

New problem. I hung out with a couple of my friends at an amusement park this weekend. Both of them are girls, and both would honestly probably go out with me if I wanted to. BUT, here is my real problem. One of the girls brought a friend. I thought she was kinda cute. I don't know. Mixed emotions right now. uhh.... well, so it was a little awkward at first because I'm weird and won't talk. But like usual, I talked a whole bunch the entire time we were there once I realized that the new girl is friendly and such. I mean we talked, I'm sure I flirted a bit. I probably flirted with all of the girls even though I don't even like my two friends like that. My one friend that obviously likes me a lot and has even told me that she thinks she loves me told me that the new girl liked me and I just kinda put it off with the " well who doesn't?" line... That's when I actually started thinking does she like me? and I honestly don't know. she is a year younger than me, but since I'm staying in the same city for college next year it wouldn't be unreasonable for me to go out with her. But after that, I was told by my other friend, then one who is actually friends with the new girl that she doesn't like me and that my one friend told me that she did because she was jealous. (sorry if that was a little hard to follow.) But the new girl kept saying the entire day that we were long lost friends and are best friends for life. I don't know if she does that with every guy she meets, but still, I think that's a bit odd... So, what do you guys make of this situation? oh, also, she said that I need to hang out and party more too... and sort of invited me to this party thing on Saturday. I'm not sure if I'm going. Should I go? I don't think I was really invited to go with her, it's just like invited in general. It's basically a huge dance party thing. And I told her I don't dance (trust me, I don't. And it's very awkward when I do/try to.), but she said that if she could make some nerdy guy dance at a different thing she went to than she could definitely get me to dance. I don't know what to make of this, especially since she said she doesn't like me, like me... She probably just wants to have some fun, but I guess I can live with that haha :) But yea, what is your take on the situation?

Also, on another related but unrelated note... I think I have problem with thinking that every single girl that talks to me or that I meet likes me just a little bit. I always find myself thinking, well I could go out with her, I wonder why she said hi to me, and things like that. I mean just meeting a new person I want to know what they think of me. I'm really not sure if that's weird or not. But it kinda makes me not want to meet new people, because I don't want to have to worry about that or think about what other people think. My thing is that I don't care if people talk about me, I just want to know what they are saying, good or bad. Is there something I should do to make myself stop thinking that anytime I meet a new girl? or is it completely normal? And I think that's about it for now...

Battlerifel.png

Battlerifel.png

Nothing better than going and getting coffee after a movie and discussing it in further depth. :thumbup:

It's a comedy so there probably wouldn't be much to discuss, but I there's bound to be something. :P

My biggest worry is that we'll both turn out to be really different now, because as I found out before, me just saying I don't to be her friend anymore and (trying to) hate her doesn't work. So if something doesn't work it'll just be a little salt in the wound lol Is there anything you guys would suggest for telling her what I actually think about her? I want to say that she's really important and that I'd like to be more than friends, but obviously it'd be a bit too soon, though at the same time I kind of want to get it out of the way since it's been the same since I first knew her.

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png
Achievments: Maxed/Comp'd 7th of August 2012. 120 Dungeoneering sometime early december 2011. 99 Slayer achieved October 22nd, 2010. 99 Prayer achieved September 99 18th 2010. Summoning achieved September 14th 2010. 99 Defence achieved May 8th 2010. 99 Constituton achieved April 24th 2010. 99 Attack achieved on January 29th 2010 at 8:00 PM. Questpoint Cape on August 30th 2009.99 Strength (11:47 P.M. August 17 2009).

Don't tell her how you actually feel unless it's immediately followed by, "...and that's why I don't think we should continue hanging out." Too soon for stuff like that, IMO.

Buuut you really don't have anything to lose, assuming you'll be separated once again in a couple of years due to college.

Regarding your biggest worry-- is it really that big of a deal?

77yLQy8.png

Figured as much. There's a little basis to at least think there's something back, but not enough at this time.

As far as I know she's not going anywhere out of two for uni/college and neither am I, so I guess I'll have to see how things go. It'll probably be a lot easier to judge after we've actually hung out irl. I really hope it can work, even just as friends, but if it doesn't at least it's not like I'll die or anything. :P

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png

Regarding to the party/dancing, no-one knows how to dance. But if you take a girl to a dance, you will have fun. Regardless of your dancing skills.

I learnt it whilst abroad, and with people I didn't know anything about. But in the end a dude got me dancing with a smokin' hot cheerleader from Latvia's nr. 1 basketball team. And everybody enjoyed it.

And Kandy, there is nothing to be afraid of. Only one thing. Please don't do my mistake and start talking about feelings. That is an instant turn-off. But you 2 have to have at least something to talk about. If not about anything else, then about what she has the last year(s) done. You don't have to talk that much really, girls like it really much if you can just listen to what they say. And in no circumstance should you come off as someone obsessed in her.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Dancing isn't something you "learn" unless you're doing it in a synchronized fashion (waltzing, etc).

Shift your weight around and move your arms. That's basically all of it.

Just don't second think yourself and don't stop awkwardly.

If you're REALLY feeling awkward, start with "joking" dances, like the disco, Egyptian and robot. In the case of those, they're funnier if utterly misused.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]