Today...

Leoo

Had to look that up. Thank you Urban Dictionary. That actually does sound kind of fun. Our local version was always spinning around really fast and then trying to chase someone.

Now, I feel like there is a lesson in todays events. A while ago I gave myself a repetitive strain injury from a minecraft bender, and the result has been that I have a much lower tolerance for typing and mouse use in my right wrist now (probably left too, but I injured my right wrist more). I was playing Runescape a couple hours for the last 3 days at pest control, because that's actually how I train range (I hate that skill so much). In retrospect, I could feel my wrist/arm starting to get sore, but it never got bad, and I wanted to finish it up.

Fast forward to today, where I have been putting off writing a couple relatively small programs (about 100 lines each), and a thousand word research paper (not really an issue, but that doesn't make doing it a now a good idea). I got through the first program okay, and about 10 lines into the second one, guess what. The RSI is rearing it's head and is if nothing else, quite distracting. So I found the robax platinum, which is about the only thing that can make the pain go away, but now I going to be doing a fair bit of typing on an injured wrist, which will cause more inflamation, and when all is said and done, this will probably take a couple days of minimal use to heal. Tomorrow I have another computer lab to do, which is closer to 800 lines of code, which will also be great for my injury.

So yeah, I'm sure there is a lesson about planning in there someplace :lol:

And probably some shorter posts from me on thursday and firday, since taking the robax will stop me from healing (because if I can type, I will).

If Stephen Hawking can find a way to type, I'm sure you can too. :P

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Back to back exams this evening... It would be ok if it wasn't both calculus and physics, but it is....

EDIT:

Ok... some kid was probably failing his physics exam, so he pulled the fire alarm.... Now we have to retake the exam in a few weeks.

Classy.

My wrist has actually held up very nicely. that or Robax becomes more potent with age, seeing as it should have worn off by now.

Not sure about the essay, would really like to have some time tomorrow to look it over (it also needs an intro, still thinking about that). The rest of it went faster than I thought, though I took a little artistic license by extending my analysis a bit into the future. After this, I think the project kind of morphs into a much more serious program than anything we have written thus far, that we will work on in stages over the rest of the year, so I am kind of excited for that.

Also, tonight I am taking care of my parents dog and house sitting, and while walking, it was one of those nights where you can hear the ocean. The ocean was about as loud, or louder, than my footsteps, and by rough estimation the nearest ocean would be more than a thousand times as far from my ears as my feet are, which is kind of cool (I had some math here, and realized the volume I estimated the waves at would have been well into organ liquification levels of loud).

I think I mentioned some place before that I like to think while walking, yet I rarely know what I will be thinking about before I actually leave the door. This would be an example. I also haven't lost the skill to predict when things are coming to the house (I always used to lose interest in things and go to bed right before my parents got home, if I had the house to myself late at night), except now I am apparently predicting rainfall. Classic me timing, about two minutes before arrival (I got back from the walk 2 minutes before the rain started pouring down). Can't say I am particularly into the super natural, though it makes me wonder if its something about the house rather than me (I have no ability to predict the weather at my house).

I've been drifting through the past few months with all the events in my life starting to play out. After finally succeeding in enrolling on my preferred University, I'm starting to adjust to University life - including getting myself drunk (this'll be a wonderful story if it didn't involve anything confidential). It's pretty frustrating to me that I'm not actually learning much from a lot of lectures in the first year, with a lot of material touching on the syllabus from sixth form. Hmmph, there's a lot more to say but I would prefer to keep this post short, so I'll just have to respond to questions later.

Goodnight, Tip.it

I've been drifting through the past few months with all the events in my life starting to play out. After finally succeeding in enrolling on my preferred University, I'm starting to adjust to University life - including getting myself drunk (this'll be a wonderful story if it didn't involve anything confidential). It's pretty frustrating to me that I'm not actually learning much from a lot of lectures in the first year, with a lot of material touching on the syllabus from sixth form. Hmmph, there's a lot more to say but I would prefer to keep this post short, so I'll just have to respond to questions later.

Goodnight, Tip.it

If your uni uses Echo360, or something similar, lectures really lose their value.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

If I would have to wait until university for the first time getting drunk, I don't know what would have become of me...

But then again, we are from different cultures.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Just don't assume that the lectures will be like that for the whole year. Unless you took a course in...sixth forum?...that covered the first year university syllabus (this happened to me. My chemistry teacher taught us first year chem in grade 12), at some point it will change. You might also find it going in depth in places where primary education did not. It does get a lot more interesting after the first year, and even second term. The first term is the University doing damage control for any haphazard education from the primary education system, making sure that you actually do know what your supposed to know. If you already know it then yeah, kind of boring.

Today the landlord came to take pictures of the house/yard so they can get new tenants asap. Apparently waiting until we started moving our stuff, early next month, was out of the question. It should be interesting to see how I get to work next year, since I won't be able to walk and I won't have access to a vehicle while on afternoons. And of course, city buses would make me consistently late for work.

I've spent the day starting up new pumps, and now that everything is good to go (on time for once) the whole thing has come to a grinding halt while I wait for some mouth breather at Shell to call me back so I can have him dial into the system and reset the control files so the new pumps will go online. It's now been an hour since I last spoke to someone who assured me they would call me back "in 10 minutes". :wall:

Screw it, I'm just going to call them again. Maybe this time I'll speak to someone who's parents weren't siblings. <_<

(I don't have a lot of success with their so-called "help" desk)

And of course, city buses would make me consistently late for work.

Why not just leave earlier?

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

And of course, city buses would make me consistently late for work.

Why not just leave earlier?

The one that passes near my new house starts at 2:20 doing a half hour loop. It passes my place near the end of the loop, so about 2:40-2:45. I start at 2:50, when on afternoons. It then takes a further 20-25 minutes from there to get to my workplace, so ~3:05-3:10. 15-20 minutes late, ignoring the walk from the road + changing into my uniform which would be a further 10 minutes.

Long story short, leaving early isn't plausible for taking the bus. I'll figure something out, though.

A while back somebody here linked to a PC selling site where you could customize your order, like being able to select different levels of RAM, HDD space, etc. I for the life of me can't remember what it was called. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I posted this is Tech and Computers, but I'm reposting here as well for more chances at responses.

[spoiler=Looking for a New Laptop]

I'm buying a new laptop, but I don't know a huge amount about what good laptops are out there so I thought I would ask you guys for help. Recommendations would be great, information on what to look for or even links to useful reading would be awesome too. Thanks in advance.

• Around $800. Less would be great, but not at the sacrifice of quality.
  • Core i5 or i7 is preferable. I don't know too much about what kind of differences there are between the two.
  • 4GB or 6GB RAM. Expandable would be cool. Just so it doesn't get outdated too fast.
  • 500GB+ HDD. I've seen some stuff with small SDD drives as well, not sure if that would be worth it.
  • Decent graphics card, probably a dedicated one. I don't know much about this.
  • Moderately portable. I don't need something paper thin and 3lbs, just something that's not massive.
  • 15.6" screen. Just my preference.

I'm looking for something general use, with at least the ability to run some games smoothly. I'm not looking for a laptop that can play at Ultra High graphics settings, just that can get the job done (although if you can find me something for the price...). I've looked at a couple things on my own but I just don't have the knowledge to make an informed purchase. I've been looking at a lot of ASUS machines, since they seem to have the best specs for the price and I've heard good things. My current laptop is a Toshiba (Satellite A305, for anyone who's wondering. It's ~4 years old and I'm running Vista. Yup.) and it has been pretty solid for the time I've had it. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834230535

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834230534

Those two are what I've been coming back to so far, although I recently heard some lees than fantastic things about the 610M, specifically that it's actually worse than the Intel HD Graphics 4000, even though it's an integrated card, so I may reconsider. At this point I think I've written enough, so if there's anything I missed, let me know.

Anyways, it's been a long time since the last time that I posted here. School has been busy and my life has been kinda [bleep]ed up as of late, so I'm pretty ready for Thanksgiving break. Only two classes today and I'm done for a week. I'm going to see Lincoln tonight and go out to dinner, and I don't have to pay for either, so that's going to be a nice treat. I hope everyone has been well here, I'm sorry I've been too busy to keep up with everyone and to check in every once in a while.

Oh, another update on my life is that I've started going to the gym this past week. I took yesterday off but I've actually been working pretty hard. In three days I got my mile down to 7:10, which is probably the fastest it's been since I was a Sophomore in highschool. My goal was initially to break 7:00 by the end of the semester, but the way things have been going, I may shoot for 6:45 instead. On top of running I've done some lifting and core stuff with the help of my friends.

I'm sure there's other stuff I want to talk about, but I can't think of what right now. I'll try to check in a bit more in the future.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I'm doing online stock taking for Oxfam two days a week. Getting work experience works if you send letters to charity organisations. I'm not going to enjoy it but it'll give me something to put on my cv so I have a better chance of getting a job.

Also, I found me in cat form:

y8iHX.png

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

@Skull If you haven't already noticed (which I hope you have) those laptops are the exact same in everything except one has an i5 and costs $70 less, and the other has an i7 and is $70 more.

• Around $800. Less would be great, but not at the sacrifice of quality.

• Core i5 or i7 is preferable. I don't know too much about what kind of differences there are between the two.
  • 4GB or 6GB RAM. Expandable would be cool. Just so it doesn't get outdated too fast.
  • 500GB+ HDD. I've seen some stuff with small SDD drives as well, not sure if that would be worth it.
  • Decent graphics card, probably a dedicated one. I don't know much about this.
  • Moderately portable. I don't need something paper thin and 3lbs, just something that's not massive.
  • 15.6" screen. Just my preference.

As for the specs you want:

• Perfectly easy to do so long as you keep to games that aren't brand new and aren't on highest, which you say you are going to.
  • The differences are minimal, so far as I know the i7 is supposed to be better for multi tasking and has a few more cores. Someone who knows more clarify.
  • Those are quickly becoming the norm so far as ram is concerned, don't worry with your other specs it will have that much ram.
  • That's easy aswell, in your price range they'll be atleast 500gb. The stuff with small ssd drives are ones that have boot drives which use the ssd to boot faster and has all the necessary files so your day to day computing is faster, while having a hard drive for files you don't use often, games, movies, music, etc...
  • Again, in your price range they should all have dedicated graphics cards you just need to find one that is decent.
  • Anything that isn't full on gaming and is brand new should fit that category.
  • Just about every standard laptop has that.

I got up early today and was on the road by 6:30am because I had to go way out of town for a job and wanted to make sure I was back in time to pick up my kids. Then my ex called around 8:30 to remind me that they were going to her brother's for dinner and I was picking them up late. :wall:

Oh well, now I have a bit of extra time to do a couple of more jobs this afternoon. Not enough sleep, but extra overtime so I guess that's okay.

If the laptop's going to be used for RuneScape, then I'll use mine as a comparison. My i5/Intel HD 4000 runs RS on Medium settings at a very consistent 35-40 FPS. It really struggles to cope with modern PC games.

I won't be playing any Runescape, but I'd like to be able to have the option to play more modern games. They don't need to look pretty, just be playable. Realistically, at this point the only game I really have to play is Minecraft, so if it can run that fairly well that would be a nice step in the right direction.

I really just don't want my laptop to be outdated from the start, know what I mean? I tend to be someone who uses things as long as possible, so I don't want a laptop I intend to probably keep 5 years to not be able to keep up with what was out when it was new, never mind the advances in technology that come down the line.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Huge-ass thunderstorm is heading towards me. Already heard a lightning crash about 30mins ago hit, probably about 10km away.

Predicted Hail too, so Im shoving my car under the garage... because my partner's 4WD can't fit under there. :twss:

Popoto.~<3