Today...

Leoo

Wow Maddy, making up for lost time I see.

In the first week I was out every single night. I was only drunk for maybe three nights out of the seven. I was nearly refused entry to one of the clubs because I was walking funny.

The lady was like "How many fingers am I holding up? Walk to that wall and back" I was the happiest person when I did it correctly. She said she'd been watching me for a few days recently

and seen me worse for wear and that I should mind my drink. I know she was lying because I hadn't been to that club for a couple of days before that.

We did do a lot of crazy things that week though. Pillow fights in the park at 3 in the morning, frisbee with a pizza (which we ate the following day) but I met some people that I probably wouldn't have met otherwise. 

After that, I did start working though, and I haven't been out for 3 weeks now. But this Saturday night should be really good... although that's what they say about every night to be fair.

Halloween was really a one off where I downed some red wine, drank a fishbowl made out of cider, vodka and more wine, and I drank WKD and my own bottle of flavoured cider (Rekordelig - it's Swedish and really nice) VS is nice too.

Every now and again though, like last night, I think about home and what it would be like to be there. And I think about how my mum is doing, and how family are getting on.

Speaking to everyone on the phone is nice but it just isn't the same and on days like that, I do feel down, but at least it doesn't last long, because I have friends here to distract me when my thoughts wander in that direction.

• Like 1

^ I'm kind of the opposite in that regard. I started school this fall and want nothing to do with seeing my family over winter break haha. Even trying to find a good enough job for the summer so I can stay here as opposed to going home. I've got one now, but it's nearly enough hours to support myself, and the manager is a prick

I'm super unhappy at uni, I like the freedom from my family but I also loved how comfortable I was back home and I don't feel even 30% comfortable at my flat. Gonna take a chance and go to a social event tomorrow even though the thought of it is doing weird things to my bowels. I really need to start making friends with people who I'd like to live with next year, everyone seems to have a group in mind already...

• Like 1

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

^ I'm kind of the opposite in that regard. I started school this fall and want nothing to do with seeing my family over winter break haha. Even trying to find a good enough job for the summer so I can stay here as opposed to going home. I've got one now, but it's nearly enough hours to support myself, and the manager is a prick

I thought, at the beginning that I would be like that and I really liked the freedom and finally being able to make choices for myself.
Then I realised how expensive food was, and when I paid rent my heart broke when I saw my bank balance.
Thought I'd have to go into my overdraft but I won't, because I found lots of money in a bag that I don't use very often, so that was awesome.
My job consists of sitting in my room and showing prospective students around my flat. It's so awesome and the pay isn't bad at all, considering I'm doing very little.

I'm super unhappy at uni, I like the freedom from my family but I also loved how comfortable I was back home and I don't feel even 30% comfortable at my flat. Gonna take a chance and go to a social event tomorrow even though the thought of it is doing weird things to my bowels. I really need to start making friends with people who I'd like to live with next year, everyone seems to have a group in mind already...

I know what you mean with the freedom thing, and I used to really like my flat but that's changing quickly. I guess I get along with a lot of people, and no one ever really knows when I'm annoyed because I don't make it very clear. My flat consists of 4 girls and 2 boys. One of the guys stays in his room all the time with his friends so it's more like 4 girls and 1 boy in the flat. Almost inevitably, the girls started fighting over the guy because everyone liked him in the flat except me. It made me cringe and I felt really uncomfortable in my flat because it was so immature how catty everyone was being. In the end he chose one of the less catty girls. Great. They were cute together, I liked them both as people. No more fighting and problem solved... or so I thought. I live right next to the girl of the couple and directly opposite the boy. 

When they start messing around with each other, they 'forget' to close the door and I have to walk past it to get to my room. They're quite loud in the night even though they think they muffle it with music. I'm happy I have an escape but it really does disrupt my quiet evenings in my room so I'm thinking of investing in earplugs soon. I like them as individuals, but as a couple, the cuteness wore off quite quickly. It's been two weeks now and while it's less awkward than I thought it would be, the dynamic in the kitchen is odd.

We have to decide who we're moving out with by January. My friends have started looking at houses but I'm not sure if I want to move out with them ... I guess I like my flat as it is as I'll have learnt how to live with these people, but if the couple keep annoying me then I might have to reconsider.

Star, is it your first year?

Yeah this is my first year.

We're also in 6 per flat, with 6 flat per blocks. 2 people in our flats spend their time with other friends but everyone in my flat are close to those in the flat across and below so they've already decided to live together. The cool people who I wouldn't mind living with also already have a close group of mates.

I'm just really worried about where I'll be living next year what with prices and all that, I really need to get a job for the extra security.

rc1tzc.png

Yeah this is my first year.

We're also in 6 per flat, with 6 flat per blocks. 2 people in our flats spend their time with other friends but everyone in my flat are close to those in the flat across and below so they've already decided to live together. The cool people who I wouldn't mind living with also already have a close group of mates.

I'm just really worried about where I'll be living next year what with prices and all that, I really need to get a job for the extra security.

Same, and there's still lots of time to find people to live with, and it's not just you who's in this position at all, lots of people will be thinking the same/similar things as you.

There's a hell of a lot of pressure for first-years to find accommodation, while at the same time having the time of their life (I hate this phrase with a burning passion). My personal opinion is that people look and sign contracts far too early, and I know there's a lot of work within the SU movement to try and make students more aware of that. Half of the claims given to you by landlords are complete and utter bull. I'm talking claims like "There's already two or three groups looking at this place", or "If you don't sign now, all the good houses will have gone". It leads to situations where very fragile groups of friends who've only known each other for a matter of weeks get a place together, fall out, and they're stuck living with each other for at least another 12 months after their first year has ended.

I signed for my place in April and it's not a bad place at all.

As for friends, there's the usual go-to places. Talk to people in your course, go to societies, maybe even do something that doesn't involve students at all if you're having trouble assimilating to the "student lifestyle". There's no shame in that if that's the case; it's not everyone's cup of tea. End of the day, in Uni halls they allocate people at random and hope everyone gets along... it's a pretty rubbish way of putting people together.

When you meet someone, make an effort to meet up semi-regularly. You're not going to make best friends with someone after an hour long conversation. It's the meeting up and it's the activities you do together that form the basis first.

On the topic of first years of college, mine's going quite well so far. I really lucked out in terms of who's in my cluster (a cluster being 4 rooms of 2 people each that has its own little lounge and bathroom and stuff), I've become really good friends with a few of them already. Unfortunately, I kind of hate my roommate. He stays up ridiculously late on school nights so he can talk to his friends back home in China on Skype and stuff and then sleeps until the afternoon and skips his morning classes. Also he smells really bad.

I try to stay out of my room a lot.

I have been going to a few social events but I just have trouble talking to people. I still try though even if I stutter but I think I give off an anti-social vibe or something because people don't approach me. I say to myself I'll stay calm and talk more but I end up forgetting and word-vomit instead. Got two events tomorrow so staying positive.

rc1tzc.png

When I get nervous about approaching someone, I usually just go for it because of two reasons..

1. The way I feel after I don't talk to an attractive girl. I pretty much just kick myself about it for the rest of the day lol.

2. There really isn't anything to lose. If they think you're weird as hell after one conversation then well, they probably aren't someone you'd want to be friends with anyway.

• Like 1

I just want to say, I much prefer rooming with people I don't have to interact with very much. The dorm situation this year is much better because I don't talk to any of my roommates much, whereas I talked to my roomates all the time last year, and they got on my nerves a lot. All of them except the one I didn't talk to, in fact.

It's going to be awesome when I can afford to live alone.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

So long as you have friends elsewhere.

I wouldn't ever recommend trying to get along and live with people you find that annoying, but I wouldn't say that 'walling' yourself into your room all day long is a good idea either.

I had to live on my own, away from my hometown for a good month after all the other housemates had moved out and all the friends I'd made had also gone back to their hometowns for summer. It was a very scary and lonely month; I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone.

I lived on my own right after highschool and have basically been ever since.  I've had a time here and there where situations arose and I ended up with roommates out of necessity.  But for the most part it has basically just been myself and my pets.  Given the choice I'd choose living by myself rather than with a roommate.  I'm also far enough away from all my relatives that I don't have to go to any holiday events and I never see them unless they were to actually come out to see me (and luckily most won't).  It's awesome, I love it :D

I share my room with my best friend from primary school. We have gotten pretty good here, with a flat consisting of 2 rooms, 2 people in each room. And for the flat we have kitchen and a bathroom. Our flatmates are some IT-guys who are pretty much invisible, so we basically have the flat for ourselves.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Picked up FIFA 14 yesterday. Been playing it for a few hours. Either i'm really out of practice or it got a lot harder from FIFA 10. Passing took me a while to get used to. Still trying to get shooting under control again. But it's pretty fun.

6 Month anniversary for and my girlfriend today as well. Couldn't really celebrate today because she had work, but we went out last night. Was pretty fun.

So in love.

You're dating your old girlfriend again Noxx, or did I forget a detail somewhere?

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Picked up FIFA 14 yesterday. Been playing it for a few hours. Either i'm really out of practice or it got a lot harder from FIFA 10. Passing took me a while to get used to. Still trying to get shooting under control again. But it's pretty fun.

6 Month anniversary for and my girlfriend today as well. Couldn't really celebrate today because she had work, but we went out last night. Was pretty fun.

So in love.

They made a lot of improvements in '12 & '13 to increase the realism of the series. Attacking was the focus of '13 so yeah, coming from '10 it's going to be a bit of a challenge until you master the new controls and whatnot. 

tFtfA.jpg

Today, I got proof yet again that I chose the right subject in Uni.

So in love.

SO IN LOVE!

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I have to perform in front of everyone at a pep rally tomorrow. [bleep] me, I can't handle that type of shit.

I have to perform in front of everyone at a pep rally tomorrow. [bleep] me, I can't handle that type of shit.

Im sure you can handle it. Though that sounds tougher than speech class for me even as a shy person

What are you performing?

he is performing a stage adaptation of the hit cheerleading movie bring it on, where he plays all the characters in an eddie murphy nutty professor type of way

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Saw thor 2. Super good. Cant wait for the guardians movie.

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

What are you performing?

he is performing a stage adaptation of the hit cheerleading movie bring it on, where he plays all the characters in an eddie murphy nutty professor type of way

I hated that movie, but I would love to see that.