The RS Stereotype

Skully

(NOTE: The entire post isn't directed to you, Laura. Like I wouldn't want a girl to say "I go to the gym for 4 hours and lift weights." then shows me her massive guns. :? But your post kinda started a little chain reaction of a post in my head. :geek: )

Exactly! :-#

hopesolopatriot.jpg

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, IMO, its the fact that playing ANY online game looks bad. You can't even really say runescape is worse than WoW so people hate it more, because people don't even normally talk alot when they play WoW.

I'm at a loss of thinking what to say really, no one advertises that they play MMO's, however you see tons of people walking around in Halo, Guitar hero, Etc shirts. Idk maybe people just hate on computers =\

sgsagssighe6.jpg

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07

That's kinda funny actually, i had a senior say that runescape was the greatest game ever (and not a geek i mean a senior, senior.) He wasn't even kidding actually. got to lvl 82 and i just laughed in my head a little :lol:. but no i really hate it that it's looked so down upon.

it's basically:

Low res

Not WoW

an MMO

Internet game that isn't just tetris or the falling sand game..

regarded as a child's game (which is partially is some of the time, majority lies in F2P in that subject.)

You pay for it (unlike xbox live?)

But w/e i love it and won't stop until i'm bored or just can't play anymore.

~Penguin

frznflames.png

frznflames.png

frznflames.png

I really couldn't care less about the sterotype of the MMO players, there must be 12 Mil + of us, were not a minority anymore and its also a diverse group of people with different backgrounds and views

Im happy to be an RS player, i dont go around the streets parading it but I've never lied when asked if i play, but RS isnt be all and end all of my life, I've got other interests too, which im sure over people with think suck too,

Im happy being me and if you want to sterotype me for it go ahead...

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

I really couldn't care less about the sterotype of the MMO players, there must be 12 Mil + of us, were not a minority anymore and its also a diverse group of people with different backgrounds and views

Im happy to be an RS player, i dont go around the streets parading it but I've never lied when asked if i play, but RS isnt be all and end all of my life, I've got other interests too, which im sure over people with think suck too,

Im happy being me and if you want to sterotype me for it go ahead...

Amen :pray:

I've always kept my runescape playing a secret pretty much. Although every now and then I hear some kids talking about rs, and I either just kind of laugh to myself, or sometimes I go up and talk to them about it :D. But ya, I think a lot of people play online games and just don't really tell people about it/don't want people to know that they do. Almost all of the "cool" football player jock types in my grade play WoW, just nobody really knows. Except for me... :twisted:

Dude... A no lifer is somebody who spends so much time online that they have no friends IRL, and does nothing in the real world. It is a commonly used term outside of runescape; often used jokingly or to convey the message that the person feels like being lazy.

Example 1:

Über nerd1: Hey, you want to go check out that starwars convention this weekend?

Über nerd2: I can't. I'm going to have no life and ding to 70 on sunday

Example 2:

Person1: Have you seen James lately? I haven't seen him since Thursday.

Person2: Yeah, there's been a week-long double xp Halo Tournament, and he's trying to get Grade 2 General generalgr2pv2.gif

Person1: My God! He must have absolutely no life at all! [Anybody who watches South Park like there's no tomorrow may recognise this line from a ... certain ... episode...]

First, there's the RS stereotype that RS is a poor man's WoW, that Runescape is not a real MMO.

And everyone playing MMOs is a no life nerd that needs a girlfriend. :wall:

It's pretty sad

I personally wouldn't want to know if someone I was dating was playing WOW or something though. It just doesn't seem...masculine, if you know what I mean.

Now just imagine if that same guy had a girl character on WoW...

(Some people actually do that... for the life of me I can't figure out why.)

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

It's just a game, i do however, constantly get in an argument about "WOW vs. RS" (I Always Win :mrgreen: ). In the end, its just a game. some people play halo some people play wow ome people play rs lol. ive never been ashamed of playing it \'

Omg-1.jpg

Pk_i_n_y_o_u.png

Essentially it comes down to self confidence about your real life, or the lack there of.

Many people who play this game (if you read the other thread about lying to people or being honest about if you play the game or not, you'll see what I mean) simply don't have the confidence or don't think their friends will still like them if they admitted they played.

It's sad, but hopefully it goes away with time.

Personally I hit on a girl the other night with Runescape. That's right. \'

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.

People often don't like what's different. The list of times this has occasioned would be a mile long.

However, as aforementioned, this is partially changing because so many more people are taking up gaming. When something is no longer so different, it becomes more accepted. This effect is imo largely exponential: It's harder to say that someone 'has no life' because they play a game when your brother (or even yourself) plays Halo. The same principle can be applied to past introductions of ways for people (children especially) to spend time: football wasn't universally accepted when it was introduced and neither was baseball, but today people watch both sports regularly without objection to them.

Gaming is also not seen in the United States as it is in other countries on the average basis, I'd say. Nations like South Korea jump to mind when I think of a nation with many gamers.

On that note, gaming has been seen (atleast in the States) as entertainment which more than often encourages violence among children, and is thus denounced (though I strongly question the validity of this argument). But, as people get accustomed to video games being a part of people's lives, they have become imo a more 'acceptable' form of entertainment.

Sleeping-in-cushionhigh.jpg

Well it is called an MMORPG. Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. So it is like the Final Fantasy games. You're a guy but play a girl character (z0mg). Also think about the girl's side of view. 90% of RPGs' playable characters are male. :lol:

Essentially it comes down to self confidence about your real life, or the lack there of.

Many people who play this game (if you read the other thread about lying to people or being honest about if you play the game or not, you'll see what I mean) simply don't have the confidence or don't think their friends will still like them if they admitted they played.

Absoultly true. I find it depressing when people say RuneScape or whatever MMO is their "little secret". I'm not saying to reveal it out to the world when it doesn't care, but to hide it under a sheet at call costs is ridicilious.(SP)

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Runescape is not my dirty little secret. When people ask me what I do in my spare time, I spout off my list of activities, and I always name Runescape.

I'm a musician, I play five instruments (and counting), I work out, I'm in college, majoring in physics, chemistry, and mathematics, I'm an avid reader, I'm good looking, have an amazingly beautiful girlfriend (this is not a relative statement), I have a band, some great friends, and a very healthy social life.

I have every right to play Runescape, and should anyone question that right, I'd simply ask them what the #%$@ they're doing with their lives.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Me and my girlfriend were just playing the great orb project in bed. If that makes us nerdy saddos then that's what we are ^_^

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I don't care about the RS stereotype any more, it's not as strong as it used to be and will probably disappear in a few years. I know a lot of people who do much worse things in their spare time.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

An old friend of mine was the "it" girl in school. She was amazing at sports, loved shopping. She was highly popular with both boys and girls, and she was also a runescaper and wow player. People who play online games are not nerds because the majority of teenagers do play online games, whether it be on the pc or whether it be on the xbox 360.

I personally don't judge someone on what games they play. It would be quite vain of me to not be friends with someone just because they play a game, especially if I played the same game.

Well it is called an MMORPG. Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. So it is like the Final Fantasy games. You're a guy but play a girl character (z0mg). Also think about the girl's side of view. 90% of RPGs' playable characters are male. :lol:

Absoultly true. I find it depressing when people say RuneScape or whatever MMO is their "little secret". I'm not saying to reveal it out to the world when it doesn't care, but to hide it under a sheet at call costs is ridicilious.(SP)

Well if you hang around people who don't play the game but know about it, you will find that they often say things like "That guy plays runescape? Wow. What a total nerd. That game sucks [wagon]."

So therefore, if you said you played runescape, it would be reasonable to assume that people would think you're a total nerd.

The mmo stereotype isnt that big of a deal around where i live. Sure, not everyone thinks its 'cool' but even kids in my grade (senior year) who are very popular play WoW and RS. WoW isnt really looked down upon. everything else pretty much makes people ask "what is that?" Then I normally just say "well, its like WoW but the skills are different and so are the graphics" then they just go on to the next subject. not really a bad stereotype against any game.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

Well if you hang around people who don't play the game but know about it, you will find that they often say things like "That guy plays runescape? Wow. What a total nerd. That game sucks [wagon]."

So therefore, if you said you played runescape, it would be reasonable to assume that people would think you're a total nerd.

Look I'm not saying to bring up RuneScape in every conversation, but to flat out deny that you don't play because you're scared they're going to call you a nerd is moronic. Besides, if those people are THAT ignorant, then why are you even hanging out with them? Unless you're ignorant yourself on other things...

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg