Unpopularity of PvP worlds

mario_sunny

Have you ever considered that the unpopularity of PvP worlds is not because of the structure of the PvP worlds themselves? What if it has something to do with the community?

When PvP worlds were first announced, people went crazy. They exclamed that everything in Runescape would be changed forever: the community, the economy, etc. People thought it would be one of the best updates in history.

But alas, after the first few days, it was obvious the PvP worlds were unpopular. The economy didn't change, besides a raise in some combat items. The community didn't change either: Some skillers tried out the new PvP worlds out of curiosity, and got to feel what it was like to be a pker for a little while. Skillers still hate pkers though.

The skillers left PvP worlds early, but what about the pkers? They left shortly after the skillers, leaving the average PvP world with a drooping 400 population. But wait, there are two worlds with 1200+ population! Surely this means PvP is alive and well? No. Let's examine something.

What is PvP nowadays? Runners, safers, teleporters, one-itemers, three-itemers, and lurers. That about sums it up. The worst part is, if you try to be a real pker, you get killed in a split second.

My thoughts: What was left of the real pkers, the very little amount, left when the wilderness was removed. Now, a year later, we are left with all those mentioned above. What does this lead to? Frustration. People fear of losing 50k+ items these days! How ridiculous. Why, when staking existed, people were prepared to lose hundreds of millions! This new generation of players cannot even fight the most challenging boss in the whole of Runescape: Other players! Why, we have been reduced to nothing but skillers who boast about their glorious achievements in GWD. Wait, why are we praising you? Because you killed a computer a hundred times, with basically no chance of dying? Admit it, if you're smart with NPCs, you will find virtually no challenge in ANY boss in Runescape.

The community has changed.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well pkers were always like that, btw what is your definition of real pker?

If staking was brought in again i'm sure people would stake millions again, but it's just not same when you're pking and you're staking. pking is too unpredictable, and staking is more like betting and if you're winning you get addicted to it very easily.

Palas1.png

So true. PvP worlds are wildly popular in FREE, but in members... Not so much. The vast, vast majority of P2P PKers just DM near banks... And of those, 60% are Dharok Noobs, 20% are blitz/ags rushers, 15% are one/three/four itemers, and only 5% actually risk losing anything worth over 200k. It's a mockery of what PKing once was.

Just look at the Clan PKing scene. All of the "serious" events take place in Free, because members PKing is so jacked up with all the one item BSers. You can't one-item in f2p and hope to do jack crap. It just won't happen. Thus, people don't really do it.

Jagex did a good job with this update, but as you said, the community just isn't the same. It's so diluted with pixel-huggers than it's a waste of time.

td2sig.jpg

Thousands and thousands of pkers quit when the wild was taken away, some stayed for bounty hunter and a lot returned for the recent pvp update and then left because it just isnt the same.A lot of the people who quit when they took out wild most likely lost interest in the game and didnt bother coming back.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayl4.png

Quit. PM me if you play The Conduit to exchange friend codes.

That about somes it up right there. People are different now a days. PVP is never going to be the same as it was before December 10. The PVP worlds was a good idea but as you mentioned, true pkers just cant find enjoyement anymore. PVP has been reduced to nearly nothing. Runescape has changed. We just have to accept that.

25632.jpg

Magma_Guard3.png

runescapeboomdeyadasigui7.jpg

Perhaps as the pking worlds are around for longer and longer, the real pkers will start the reform and rejoin.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

Thousands and thousands of pkers quit when the wild was taken away, some stayed for bounty hunter and a lot returned for the recent pvp update and then left because it just isnt the same.A lot of the people who quit when they took out wild most likely lost interest in the game and didnt bother coming back.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. :thumbup:

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

Wildness blocks teleport at lvl 20+, PvP dont have that much restriction, literally the entire world is wildness without tele-block. There is always the excitement of finding a target (a low level skiller or a high level ranger? you will never know until you see one) in Wildness

Bounty Hunter is small and no room to hide, PvP is too large, way too many hiding rooms (room upstair/downstair, wildness ditch, etc) and has too many targets that a pker dont know whom to pick.

aalelaabm.jpg

The Haraguroi Club: Where Yandere Thrive for Chopping

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. :thumbup:

Its not obvious if theres a thread being made on it, nice contribution :thumbdown:

the unpopularity is a mixture of things.

1) the community is different. For some reason everyone teles, runs etc and everybody is so bleeping scared to die. I mean thats why ur on a pvp world. u have a chance to die. When i see pures get 25 prayers for protect prayer i laugh at them.

2) Next are the many flaws with the pvp system

these flaws just dont make it fun. there r safespots and ppl simply take advantage of them. + u can tele. and the last part is that u cant really make profit. f2p makes no profit and not even enough to get themselves the next batch of lobsters. The systems fail and the true gameplay of it isnt as exciting. BH is still probably better then pvp worlds. pvp worlds really do have a chance they just need to be fixed. Remember how BH was a mess at the beginning. then it was fixed and its not bad. same for te pvp worlds.

changewecanbelievein800an5.png

:P

oh god, i cant imagine RS under obama's policies. I just cant imagine this is something that was brought up in a thread like this.

Yeah, leave it to someone here to bring something stupidly irrelevant into a thread.

My guess is that this proves that PvP is nothing more than a side-activity; something non-vital to the typical 'Scaper. Also, those that consider/call others "pixel huggers" and what-not, who cares? If they don't want to risk anything, they don't want to risk anything, so they'll be loafing around the same bank that you are. :P

The community has changed, I'll give you that - it's changed in such a way, it has no tolerance for the attitude of most PKers. The truth there is self-evident.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

LOL! there so unpopular i actually did the holloween event on w111 to avoid the lag i was getting:mrgreen:

I dont play runescape to kill things anyway(well i used to kill monsters, but now i dont even get games on wii/ps3 cause no cash :x )

What is PvP nowadays? Runners, safers, teleporters, one-itemers, three-itemers, and lurers. That about sums it up. The worst part is, if you try to be a real pker, you get killed in a split second.

Isn't that what Pking has always been?

What I don't understand is that Pkers say they PK because of the skill of it, yet they make unofficial rules to make Pking based on luck.

Running, teleporting, "safing" (which seems to be anything from having >1 Defence, or armour of any type) and so on have always played a huge roll in PvP and I don't see how that's any different now.

And not that I'm trying to start a rant or anything, but was is meant by a real PKer? You can run, teleport, one-item and still be a "real" PKer.

In another thread, someone who claimed to be an expert Pker stated that to be a real Pker is to follow those PKing codes because it's not about the money, it's about a good fun fight. Yet if it isn't about the money, why not go to the duel arena, or clan wars, where you can kill the player the way you want?

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

Well, p2p world is huge, that means it's hard to find someone around, so you, as a pker, may not even encounter a player. Even if you do, if he teles, you will be left either alone with no idea where to look for him or an easy target for people that might be running around looking for targets with full load of food. This highly deters people from lurking further away from safespots. Not even a team would work, because once someone KOs a member of your team, you become weaker as that member may not immediately rejoin you, because he might not even able to reach you again, because some safer would try to kill him and waste his food constantly.

F2p world is much smaller. That means a higher chance to encounter someone worth to kill. Still, it's kinda huge, so the stuff noted above also apply to some extent.

Now, the suggestions, what and how should be done in order to gain fun and/or popularity.

First of all, if we want to have the same concept: ability to attack in whole Gielinor, as someone had pointed out, people should be SAFE. That means they would respawn with all items. This would involve the fun/risk of retaining/losing your skillspot. People wouldn't be forced to eat, nor they would need to tele. Introducing any rewards would be risky though, as players likely would abuse these. Still, I think this concept would be more popular than the current one.

If we would want to retain the rewarding system, there are multiple ways to improve it, such as:

A) No safespots, except a limited time after respawning (in your selected point). No teleporting/altar prayer recharge for a set time after engaging in combat.

B) All above + Reduce the accessible world size in pvp worlds and remove teleportation. If you were defeated, you cannot attack the killer player/nor he can attack you for a set amount of time.

C) Only F2P PvP servers; players that do not risk enough would not be able to attack players (only retaliate to their attacks) that do risk the required amount BUT NOT VICE VERSA (so that the 'riskers' would be able to increase kill count). The closer to a safespot the opponent is, the higher chance to bind him, increasing geometrically for every square (brings magic use back!). No (non-jewellery) teleportation if you are skulled; no teleportation (at all) a set amount of time after engaging in combat; all areas with altars are safespots.

Any further ideas? Post them, btw any critics to mine are welcome.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

I would die ten times losing 200k each time just to find ONE decent fight in p2pvp. Alas, after dying so many times to people in full void and ags, one itemers and pilejumpers, I just don't see the fun of it. I have made more money taking turns with someone to get drops then that I have while Pking.

If ONLY there was one special place where there weren't all these noobs, a place abandonned by one itemers and those alike, a place where your protect item is disabled and where you are skulled upon entering, teleport and lose all right to teleport for 15 minutes.

The excitement is lost due to the still not nerfed DDS... WHY did the MSB had to be nerfed, while the dragon dagger remained on its top. Nearly all weaponary now allows only one special, while this little butterknife hits twice, for four times, while poisoning you.

We have waited long enough Jagex, nerf the dragon dagger.

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

So true. PvP worlds are wildly popular in FREE, but in members... Not so much. The vast, vast majority of P2P PKers just DM near banks... And of those, 60% are Dharok Noobs, 20% are blitz/ags rushers, 15% are one/three/four itemers, and only 5% actually risk losing anything worth over 200k. It's a mockery of what PKing once was.

This guy pretty much covers it.

I agree, the community has changed, but isn't that was PvP has always been like? Most of the people in F2P pking stood by the ditch, got attacked, fought for a while then hopped merrily back over. Same in members, did you see hundreds of people fighting in the members only part of the wildy? Nope, only people who either stood by the mage bank teleport, or just killed wildy agility pkers, because they were too scared to kill anything that could prove a fight for them.

Sure, you had some brilliant Pkers, and some brilliant wars, but most of the PvP community were the type of people who called people "pray nubs", ran away after battle, or stayed at -20 wildy. PvP can and is brilliant, while it will never compare to the old wildy, it is better in some ways, and worse in others. It's the attitude of the Pkers that makes Pking either brilliant or terrible, not the conditions (although it does, of course, have some effect).

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

Something added by a 'pvp world woodcutter':

Wouldnt it be better if familiars also could be used in the non multi areas? Since 95% of the world is non multi, I can't see the positive side of summoninglvl (carrying summ.pouch) effecting the attacklvl margins in pvp worlds. In my case I would enjoy skilling in pvp worlds even more ;)

As a (to my opinion) positive side effect, pures would have less power in pvp. After all, summoning is set to be a combatskill. When did u see combat with familiars in pvp worlds ( besides some jerking around in Fally)?

h_y_j_a_c_k.png

The idea of PVP worlds is to mimic the old classic RS world where you can PK anywhere, with the exception of the drop system. But there are too many changes since class RS that the idea would not work equally well.

Too large a world for too small a population

A maximum of 2000 players in a world which is at least 4 times (not counting dungeons and hidden cities) the classic world, coupled with having banks as safespots. People are going to congregate around common areas like Varrock and Falador, bouncing in and out of safespots. Not to mention that your teleports bring you to these locations as well, making safespots highly accessible. If you're a bloodthirsty PKer, you have no choice but to go to the same areas as well. End up it isn't PVP World, but rather PVP LumbridgeVarrockFalador.

Teleport VS teleblock.

It really doesn't make sense that teleport works 100% (by any combat class, whether you are skulled or not) while teleblock has a chance to fail (more when cast on rangers). If we have the rule of not being able to log out during combat or within 10 seconds after it, I think this rule should be included for teleporting since both are ways are escaping. With safespots at the location where you teleport, it's going to be a big incentive for people to bring runes and standby. Something needs to be done about teleporting, teleblocking, and safespots in general.

Drop system

PKers use to pick targets based on what they might be carrying, so that they know how much risk to put in and how much they will reap from it. The drop system is just too random for people to gauge these factors. When Jagex mentioned about PVP worlds and the drop system, I imagined something along the line of 20-60% chance of getting a percentage of what your opponent drop, depending on your killcount as well as your opponent's. But with the minimum risk value of 75K and no further incentive beyond that, it's blatantly tell players that 1-4 itemer is more worth it.

You can die a hundred times while 1-iteming with a DDS, but you just need to get lucky with someone wielding a godsword just ONCE. Likewise, you can kill a hundred players with a godsword, but with the majority using cheap equipment, you just need to die once and all your effort will go to waste.

Lethality of PVP weapons VS HP of players

Why is F2P PKing sometimes more enjoyable than P2P? Because fights last longer in F2P, and it's less on luck and more on skill. Sure, specs look impressive and works well when it does. However, what's the point if you are always going to fight someone with a full spec bar and one of you is always going down right after the first bar? Free players have up to 99 HP, and up to 32 damage to work with. Members have up to 118 HP (if you want to spend on Sara brews) and offensive enough to KO the average player with just one full spec bar. If you read the article on Tipit homepage you'll find that any more new weapons for 80+ attack would be simply overkill for PVPing.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

This guy pretty much covers it.

I'm pretty sure that is what Pking once was. People unwilling to risk anything, killing people in level 1 wild.

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.