Mod Mat K & Manipulator clans Debate

sadukar123

Lets see how many updates can be squeezed in, between now, and the day something is actually physically done about it.

I hope this problem devolves itself into a situation where both parties can reach mutual agreement, without the feeling of being cheated out of an advantage.

I'm also looking forward to an official post on the front page addressing this topic, since people posting pictures and directing us to lone-standing posts from jagex employees simply does NOT cut the cake.

An official front page post is an act of unison on Jagex' behalf, and taking single statements from various jagex employee's (who also are entitled their own opinion) and using it as leverage in a debate is grasping for straws, in an attempt to legitimize what one is saying.

So in conclusion one could question how plausible it is that Jagex are going to do anything in the near future except talk about the problem, until an official press release on the topic is made, making the issue "a real issue".

Because as of now the real situation is just a bunch of ranting from one side, alot of saying nothing from another side, and alot of babysitting and coo'ing and soothing the ranting players from Jagex' side and basically saying what the majority wants to hear.

Nothing wrong with the last part though, its just good business, that being the manipulation of ones own customer base.

So don't make the mistake of mistaking Jagex for idiots, merely because they have done the same to us a couple of times.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manipulating is no different from PVP! Seriously... could anyone care to tell me that difference and why clan manipulating is so much worse?

People have a choice to go to pvp worlds and risk their items. People that don't want to get directly affected by PVP (ie going to a pvp world and pking) don't have to, but manipulation clans affect anyone in the market for whatever items they are manipulating whether said people want to be directly affected or not.

But no one chooses to die in a pvp world. If you put it that way, you could just choose not use the GE at all so you aren't directly affected.

Manipulating is no different from PVP! Seriously... could anyone care to tell me that difference and why clan manipulating is so much worse?

People have a choice to go to pvp worlds and risk their items. People that don't want to get directly affected by PVP (ie going to a pvp world and pking) don't have to, but manipulation clans affect anyone in the market for whatever items they are manipulating whether said people want to be directly affected or not.

But no one chooses to die in a pvp world. If you put it that way, you could just choose not use the GE at all so you aren't directly affected.

Pking is not essential for gameplay. The GE is essential for gameplay.

Don't give me all that worthless stuff about, "oh well, you see, you could do everything yourself". No. How many people do that? Almost no one maybe? So little people don't use the GE that it's irrelevant.

The Grand Exchange establishes prices. Everyone is affected directly.

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem..

This post isn't completely relevant to this, but i did notice some people mention pre ge manipulation. I just feel this is a good read on how it worked.

Kariga wrote:

So...rare prices aren't always all about the rarity of the item...

Rs2pleasant, if someone/a big group of people had the money, would it be possible to "manipulate" the prices of some discontinued item today, or would the community be too big for it?

I was executing price raises / drops right up until the time of my banning just about. Around March of 2006, I would message my friend Gdec Goat, who had 2 Phat Sets or so, whenever I planned to drop the prices. I'd find a morning where Party Hats weren't selling very well, and the only people buying on forums were those paying in Party Hats + Cash (for example they're buying Red for Yellow + cash, upgrading their Phat sort of thing).

I would then post on forums that I was selling my Party Hats off FAST!! An example of the title would be ":+: SELLING PHATS CHEAP :+:". Now, technically, yes, you're not supposed to say "Cheap" in the title, but they were actually cheap. Also it looks a bit desperate, which is what I want people to think. I'd sell off my first Phat Set, then I'd tell Gdec Goat to sell his Phat Set(s) off. He'd do the same, and he'd sell them at whatever price I told him to (within reason), to help further lower Party Hat prices. We also made sure to request "CASH ONLY", since we'd need cash to buy the Phats back (and we were in effect temporarily raising the price of GP in comparison to Party Hats).

By the time Gdec and myself had sold off 2-3 of our Phat sets combined, the market would be in a tailspin. People would be undercutting us, and trying to steal sales, which was exactly what we wanted. Sometimes we could drop Phat prices as low as 10-15% within one morning. But, the drop was extremely elastic, and bounced right back up once they hit a certain price. I'd begin buying right when prices looked their worst, buying back the Phats I sold at a 10% discount. Gdec did the same, and by the end of the day Party Hat prices would be exactly as they were at the beginning of the day. It was an interesting Merchanting tactic that provided huge profits, and was very fun to execute.

So to answer your question, I'd say yes, players could in-fact pull this off today. HOWEVER, the Party Hat merchanting community has actually dwindled over the past few years, and the only reason it might NOT work is because the population trading is, believe it or not, too small. The more action there is on the market, the further you can push the prices.

In case anyone wanted to read the full topic here it is.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=611982

jpegsigtest.jpg

They get what they deserve.

Merching CC's make it hard to buy items on the Grand Exchange.

I once needed to wait one week to buy a saradomin sword on med, because a CC was merching it.

So I think it's good Jagex is finally taking action against them.

bda2fcc662.png

On The Road To Graardor.

This post isn't completely relevant to this, but i did notice some people mention pre ge manipulation. I just feel this is a good read on how it worked.

Kariga wrote:

So...rare prices aren't always all about the rarity of the item...

Rs2pleasant, if someone/a big group of people had the money, would it be possible to "manipulate" the prices of some discontinued item today, or would the community be too big for it?

I was executing price raises / drops right up until the time of my banning just about. Around March of 2006, I would message my friend Gdec Goat, who had 2 Phat Sets or so, whenever I planned to drop the prices. I'd find a morning where Party Hats weren't selling very well, and the only people buying on forums were those paying in Party Hats + Cash (for example they're buying Red for Yellow + cash, upgrading their Phat sort of thing).

I would then post on forums that I was selling my Party Hats off FAST!! An example of the title would be ":+: SELLING PHATS CHEAP :+:". Now, technically, yes, you're not supposed to say "Cheap" in the title, but they were actually cheap. Also it looks a bit desperate, which is what I want people to think. I'd sell off my first Phat Set, then I'd tell Gdec Goat to sell his Phat Set(s) off. He'd do the same, and he'd sell them at whatever price I told him to (within reason), to help further lower Party Hat prices. We also made sure to request "CASH ONLY", since we'd need cash to buy the Phats back (and we were in effect temporarily raising the price of GP in comparison to Party Hats).

By the time Gdec and myself had sold off 2-3 of our Phat sets combined, the market would be in a tailspin. People would be undercutting us, and trying to steal sales, which was exactly what we wanted. Sometimes we could drop Phat prices as low as 10-15% within one morning. But, the drop was extremely elastic, and bounced right back up once they hit a certain price. I'd begin buying right when prices looked their worst, buying back the Phats I sold at a 10% discount. Gdec did the same, and by the end of the day Party Hat prices would be exactly as they were at the beginning of the day. It was an interesting Merchanting tactic that provided huge profits, and was very fun to execute.

So to answer your question, I'd say yes, players could in-fact pull this off today. HOWEVER, the Party Hat merchanting community has actually dwindled over the past few years, and the only reason it might NOT work is because the population trading is, believe it or not, too small. The more action there is on the market, the further you can push the prices.

In case anyone wanted to read the full topic here it is.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=611982

That's....really smart :shock:

21 pages and I bet nobody has the solution.

But, don't worry I do.

Jagex can fix the prices to high alch price or whatever!

Who needs player controlled prices?

Its a game and I like it fair as possible.

The current system is so full of restrictions that it could only be made for the exploitation of a few non-players (merchant/gold seller).

It just plain just sucks @$$.

Its not even playable for anybody who knew better times in RS.

Of course you could open it all up again.

I mean the free markets and bots would eventually fix everything by pinching off the bloated wings of the most obscenely overpriced combat items making them no longer attractive to be horded around.

Of course, then everybody would cry about the bots, gold selling, and falling prices.

But other than the last item, eveything else is still going on today, much to Jagex's chagrin and constant idiotic tweeking.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

21 pages and I bet nobody has the solution.

But, don't worry I do.

Jagex can fix the prices to high alch price or whatever!

Who needs player controlled prices?

Its a game and I like it fair as possible.

The current system is so full of restrictions that it could only be made for the exploitation of a few non-players (merchant/gold seller).

It just plain just sucks @$$.

Its not even playable for anybody who knew better times in RS.

Of course you could open it all up again.

I mean the free markets and bots would eventually fix everything by pinching off the bloated wings of the most obscenely overpriced combat items making them no longer attractive to be horded around.

Of course, then everybody would cry about the bots, gold selling, and falling prices.

But other than the last item, eveything else is still going on today, much to Jagex's chagrin and constant idiotic tweeking.

If they get rid of the GE, like I think you're suggesting, then are you going to pay the legal costs for Jagex because of all the credit fraud being done by the gold sellers?

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Price manipulation is bad. Can't be avoided without intervention. Therefore they should intervene to a certain degree, although old school merching was correct and cool ;)

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

I'm more of a lurker on the TIF but here's my two cents. I have a few merch clans added to my RS friend's list. Do I buy what they are buying out? No. In fact, I take advantage of them and collect what they are buying and sell it for max price. That's what I did for limps and swamp lizards and I made a fortune (hence my new DFS). I tried working with dragon bones and I couldn't even sell them for minimum. When this happened I realized people are taking down merch clans. Here's some ways I've learned or made myself:[hide=]-Report the auto-talkers advertising their clans! Once the advertisers, hoping for ranks, get muted, they will refuse to advertise, cutting down the overall size of the clan and, therefore, cutting down on the amount of people buying out the item.

-Scare tactics. Join open CCs like goldiemerch and tell people that the cap for that item is whatever half way to their goal is. Or tell people something along the lines of "Sick of losing millions? Dump early!" You may find yourself kicked from the chat or added to the ignore list like myself, but hey, it's worth it.

-Go without the item for a few days. Once a merched item is nearing it's dump price, all of the leaders of the clans and the more conservative members will begin to dump their goods. At this point, DO NOT BUY. Once the members see the GE graphs showing a price drop, everyone will dump early causing a massive crash. Members of these clans will be upset at the millions they lost and will not try their luck with another merch clan ever again.

-Tell gullible rank members (or regular members) a fake cap price for an item. They may foolishly believe you and tell everyone to dump without the leader's permission. That's what I did with swamp lizards (after I sold the ones I caught, of course) and it worked at roughly 9% of their goal.

-Put an artificial supply into the market. Gather or collect a lot of the item and sell it at max price. You'll earn a nice profit and hurt merch clans as well :thumbsup:.[/hide]

What I'm trying to say is price manipulation clans are easily manipulated themselves and if Jagex only takes limited action, we can and must take action. Price-manipulating scammers must be dealt with. Pump and Dump scams happen in the real world ALL of the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gck0lPvWyhE

P.S. The "price cap" of Yew Seeds is 200k ;) .

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

You all dont get it. These clans arnt doing anything wrong, its the mechanic of the GE thats broken. Dont hate the players, hate the game.

You're a [wagon].

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either

a fool or a coward.

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law

is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant:

"If I live, I will kill you, If I Die, you are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.

You all dont get it. These clans arnt doing anything wrong, its the mechanic of the GE thats broken. Dont hate the players, hate the game.

You're a [wagon].

At least he has an agenda and the ability to make a constructive post.

Your post on the other hand, dropped this whole threads average IQ by 10 points. ;)

There is no law that says "don't put a truckload of donkey heads into a catapult and fire them at your neighbor's house," but obviously that's not ok.

Nooooooooo!!!!

Just when I'd bought out the entire stock of donkey heads. :wall:

D'oh

Teeg

I once needed to wait one week to buy a saradomin sword on med, because a CC was merching it.

I have zero sympathy for someone who complains that they can't buy at med. The problem isn't merchers -- the problem is you're a cheapskate.

Sorry that I don't want to pay 600k extra, I just don't like to waste it like that.

bda2fcc662.png

On The Road To Graardor.

I have zero sympathy for someone who complains that they can't buy at med. The problem isn't merchers -- the problem is you're a cheapskate.

Sorry that I don't want to pay 600k extra, I just don't like to waste it like that.

I rest my case.

punitivedsig.png

I rest my case.

What case? He doesn't want to buy something above its true value? Are you suggesting that it's smarter to make impulsive, "gotta-have-it-now" buys? He's trying to be smart with his money. He sees there's an artificial demand being created by manipulators, and he doesn't want to be taken advantage of. Maybe you should elaborate whatever point you were trying to make, because right now you make no sense at all. You'd be a used car salesman's dream customer the way you are handing out advice.

Price-manipulating scammers must be dealt with. Pump and Dump scams happen in the real world ALL of the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gck0lPvWyhE

Pump-and-Dump is more about creating speculation in the market by sending out false information bolstering a particular stock. I see where you are making similarities though. As for everything else I liked your post. You should post more often!

You're a [wagon].

He may have said it like a thug, but he is right. It's the GE system that is the inherent problem. It doesn't mean that merchant clans aren't guilty of abusing it though.

rssig2.png

If Jagex would just add a "you cannot own more than 3" clause in the coding to all items worth over 5m then it'd stop the MAJORITY of merchanters. They also need to ban Chessy, A C I D Y, and other leaders of merchant cartels.

td2sig.jpg

If Jagex would just add a "you cannot own more than 3" clause in the coding to all items worth over 5m then it'd stop the MAJORITY of merchanters. They also need to ban Chessy, A C I D Y, and other leaders of merchant cartels.

Not a cartel. More restrictions on everybody isn't the answer either. If you set it at 5m items, they'll just start "merching" 4m items. I've noticed manipulation occurs more common on lower priced items that you can buy massive bulks of such as potions, seeds, etc.

rssig2.png

Not a cartel. More restrictions on everybody isn't the answer either. If you set it at 5m items, they'll just start "merching" 4m items. I've noticed manipulation occurs more common on lower priced items that you can buy massive bulks of such as potions, seeds, etc.

I agree putting a limit on items is not the answer. However clearly stating it is against the rules and banning a few of the big players who have billions upon billions of gold will put the point across and say "Hey, we're not afraid to ban big players with a big bank roll and lots of friends!". But I think both sides can agree on something they need to make a statement for all players to see what their stance behind price manipulation is.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

What case? He doesn't want to buy something above its true value? Are you suggesting that it's smarter to make impulsive, "gotta-have-it-now" buys? He's trying to be smart with his money. He sees there's an artificial demand being created by manipulators, and he doesn't want to be taken advantage of. Maybe you should elaborate whatever point you were trying to make, because right now you make no sense at all. You'd be a used car salesman's dream customer the way you are handing out advice.

This poster was whining that s/he took a week to buy a big ticket item on the GE at mid and blamed it on price manipulation. If an item can't be bought at mid but can be bought, then it's not being manipulated. If the price were being manipulated up, it would be bought out. If the item were being dumped, you could buy for mid. If the whiny poster had complained that the item could not be bought for a week for ANY price, then that's probably price manipulation. But the scenario being described by the whiny poster is normal -- big ticket items are not commodity items and frequently are difficult to buy at mid. If you want the item fast (as the whiny poster apparently did), offer max. If you're too cheap to pay the going rate (and I've been there myself), then just shut up and wait. You don't get something for nothing, and if you want a cheap price, then the cost frequently will be some time waiting for a desperate seller.

punitivedsig.png

If Jagex would just add a "you cannot own more than 3" clause in the coding to all items worth over 5m then it'd stop the MAJORITY of merchanters.

True, but why would you want to eliminate a major aspect of gameplay? That's like saying getting rid of bh worlds would eliminate the 26k trick. It's true, but it would be throwing out the baby with the bath water.

punitivedsig.png

it technically is against the rules...

found this on runescape.com

This makes it harder for players to manipulate prices and ensures that everyone gets a fair deal.

We will only intervene as a last resort, and only if we think price manipulation is going on, although the system has lots of safeguards to prevent that.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~