2nd September 2009 - Shops, RuneTek5, Autocasting, Patches

Sentry_Wolf

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I REALLY want fixing is the search button in bank then typing instantly after it switches off and goes on chatbox its really annoying.

And yes I know this is really old but I was hoping with RT5 it'd be fixed.

Also Zammy Spear glitched

ummok.png

No problems with update though, really fantastic biggest update of the year this and the no backstepping update = :thumbsup:

Andrew better work on RT6 NAO

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Ok, its a long thread and i don't really want to read it all, but i have one question.

Whats Ping? I see it on world select but i have no idea what it is. :wall:

~Gantail

Ping is a measure of connection between you (the client) and the game (the server). it is shown in ms (milliseconds) and the lower it is the better. Mine is usually around 50 MAX.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Ok, its a long thread and i don't really want to read it all, but i have one question.

Whats Ping? I see it on world select but i have no idea what it is. :wall:

~Gantail

Basically quicker ping responds is the better server much like dropping a rock into a cavern and the quicker you hear the clunk the safer it is

here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping#Sample_with_Windows

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

dunno if anyone else mentioned this but you can now use the canoe stations to travel to the wilderness pond north of edgeville. theres no station going back though, its a 1 way trip.

Dunno if anyone else heard this, but apparently Jagex made it so when you die, everything but your 3 best items drops into a "grave". I mean seriously, not in the patch notes. They thought they could slip it by us?

People have forgotten that infinite stock was a temporary fix, and was bound to end at some point. The only reason we had infinite stock at stores was to combat goldfarming bots sitting there buying up natures, deaths, and other items. Anyone remember setting mugger lvl6 on bots? I'm not at all surprised that, now that bots are gone, Jagex was going to find a way to bring back finite shop numbers in a way that would keep players from screwing each other over by hoarding items. I saw this coming back when they changed battlestaves.

The original meaning for the update was obscured behind the December updates, so it's not like it should have been obvious; Just something those of us with OCD for incredibly detailed examination of Runescape should have seen coming. Players should be happy, I've seen on multiple "Bring back the old Runescape ways" rants that infinite stock is out-of-character, even for a fantasy MMO.

But I think players need to get out of the realm of deciding how each update affects them powerleveling. Jagex may forget about power levelers at each update, but in my time playing MMOs leading back to Ultima Online, I have found that that is every mainstream MMO (As in those who label themselves to the mass audience, not "hardcore" mmos). Truth be told, the developers themselves are not power levelers by trade, and thus wouldn't say "Ok, if you can click really fast to fletch, this will slow you down .04 seconds, which would make getting to 99 about 10 hours longer". I'm not making up an excuse for them, I'm just saying think about who Jagex has in mind when they make updates (And don't say 10 year olds with ADD).

I think if Jagex leave the price at 25gp at the shops, but remove the price cap for shards, you'll find players who don't even participate in summoning going to the shops to buy as many shards as they can to sell on the Grand Exchange. Not only would this spark interest in summoning for sum (PUN) of those people, but it would cater to players who want to power level Summoning.

My first thought when I saw the update was 'How does this affect armor?" The pineapple update is well appreciated. It's like the bucket of sand: Sure you can get it yourself, but if you're gathering in bulk, why not save a few minutes and get a free 40 of them? And I'm sure there are players out there just giddy about the skull sceptre, although I'll have to take a crack at it.

I'm enjoying the filter update, It's very easy to filter everything down to a more managable size when I'm not either crafting, fighting, or teleporting. As for the auto-cast, however, players again are confusing difficulty with number of clicks, and auto-casting does not "ruin" magic, or make it easier. Runescape is one of the only MMOs that doesn't have some form of hotkey or auto-mage casting ability, and as people have said before, unique does not always mean useful. I am glad to see that Jagex enhanced and gave a reason to continue using staffs though, apart from the obvious infinite rune thing. The context sensitive cursor is nothing big, but it is a pleasant update. I wouldn't mind a emot-3.gif face when I mouse over my kitty cat though.

I'm surprised people haven't discovered Jagex's new marketing bit, I assumed conspirators would jump on it at the first chance. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's releasing big updates in tiny "packs", starting with the animations update, and continuing on with the engine updates, and now context sensitive cursor updates. Everything is preparing for something in the future. Not exactly dastardly, but it appears to be working. It's got me back full time, doing slayer and raising my combat in preparation for the quests hinted at in the recent Chaos Elemental letter. I'm even training summoning now after that dropped hint that they're looking at familiars being able to help you in single-combat areas.

Ping is one of those updates I like to call "Welcome to 2009 MMOs, Jagex", in that it's another feature they've added that should've been added a long time ago.

How do I know today was a good update overall? Me_Hate_Libs defended it.

Just as an afterthought: Am I the only person who dropped a load after seeing "personalized shops", my first reaction being "omg player owned shops!"

Anyway, looking forward to particle effects and no-doubt blinding bloom in the desert. DE_Dust!

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Well. I hate this update. They absolutely killed the decent look on the game in SD. New minimap doesn't match with the ground textures, I actually turned the ground blending OFF to get things to look better, new magic interface is killing my farming run times (pick a layout and stick with it, ok?) and they changed the text AGAIN, removing the border or something. Lighting seems much brighter and the colors are paler. I would much rather stick with the GE glitch than have to deal with more "updates".

As a note, I play in the lowest detail version of the game you can get. SD, all options off.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Ok after playing for a day here are my impressions...

RT5: Not much is changed on HD, a few touches here and there, but something does seem better about it. And SD being full screen, while it looks ugly as hell, is a nice improvement. However, I most anticipating what is to come, especially bloom lighting and particle effects. 8/10

Magic Update: The hiding of many spells is very useful for positioning spells. The 10% bonuses, I'll take it. And autocasting, yes please! 8/10

Personalized Shops: It's about time. There was once a time when RS has limited stocks, and it should have never been removed. At least Jagex realizing the amount of players today personalized the stocks available. If you have played pre-infinite stock, stop [bleep]ing. Finite stock is how it should, and a real economy should be. Boohoo Jagex makes one thing more difficult instead of easier and all of a sudden people want to light them at the torch. 7/10

Bugs: Just awful. People losing items through the update, dropping items on accident, lag encountered though getting multiple God capes was nice! 2/10

My experience: HD still runs flawlessly for me. I experience none of this so called lag that others do. Maybe it's time for some of you to get your computers up to 2006 standards at least. What was low end when RS2 first came out in 2004 (the original SD you could call it) is now ancient. It's nice that RS could run on Windows 98 hardware, but that is not, and should not last forever.

Overall Update: 6/10 (because of the bugs)

Polished Update: 9/10 (after the bugs are fixed)

FairTraders.net (Merchant Guides + Grand Exchange Update Notifier)

Get FREE Grand Exchange updates through the website, by email, or through your mobile device!

ftsig.png

Well. I hate this update. They absolutely killed the decent look on the game in SD. New minimap doesn't match with the ground textures, I actually turned the ground blending OFF to get things to look better, new magic interface is killing my farming run times (pick a layout and stick with it, ok?) and they changed the text AGAIN, removing the border or something. Lighting seems much brighter and the colors are paler. I would much rather stick with the GE glitch than have to deal with more "updates".

As a note, I play in the lowest detail version of the game you can get. SD, all options off.

Your true problem is that you are stuck in the past.

The minimap will match if you play the game in HD.

The interface never changed. You can still use the old Small Client.

Text was fixed.

The lighting never changed, but the ground blending does make things seem different.

Stellactic.gif

So long terrorbirds and leeches. You had a good run, but all good things must come to an end.

But I read on the RSOF or somewhere that the raw bird meat number being 10 or however many it is is being relooked at - as in, it's going to be increased soon.

But really, I don't really like the update in general.

Herblore will most likely become more expensive than it already is, while some items will almost cease to exist (Bronze arrows, anyone?).

Another example of JaGex 'fixing' or 'improving' what doesn't need 'fixing' or 'improving' while leaving its players begging for actual CONTENT.

2vlwv1v.png

Another example of JaGex 'fixing' or 'improving' what doesn't need 'fixing' or 'improving' while leaving its players begging for actual CONTENT.

I guess you turned your head when the whole RuneTech5 client was announced.

The Game Engine had to be updated some day. Most, if not all, content released in the past year and years to come could not be released on RT3.

Stellactic.gif

I'm mixed about the auto casting feature they implemented; it's killing true hybrids because now everyone can use a master wand to barrage without even clicking, which took some skill prior to this. The 10% feature is nice though. Everything else was pretty nice too, excepting the few shops that are nerfed because of this.

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

Bugs: Just awful. People losing items through the update, dropping items on accident, lag encountered though getting multiple God capes was nice! 2/10

I want to get 2 of each of the God Capes for style points, but I don't want to get banned. Does anyone think I will if I do? I don't think I would to be honest because all that it is is obtaining a place-marker. I gain no real advantage from it. Thoughts?

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

You will not get banned it's not an unfair advantage over others.

You're not permitted to even have more than one God cape, let alone capes from the same God.

Anyway, I didn't give my reaction to this earlier, but all I have to say is, "Already? That was fast." It also seems that Fullscreen RSHD is cooperating with the newest version of Ubuntu, so this might finally be an incentive to upgrade. :D

Linux User/Enthusiast | Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.