Efficiency

Michael

I'm not anti-efficiency, just (as Golvellius said then) anti-elitist, which tends to come with efficiency (not always).

so you'd say that the average efficiency person is more rude than the average person who doesn't really care?

That is exactly what she's saying. She's saying there is no way or form you can be efficient and be a nice player

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not anti-efficiency, just (as Golvellius said then) anti-elitist, which tends to come with efficiency (not always).

...........moronic things...........

That is exactly what she's saying. She's saying there is no way or form you can be efficient and be a nice player

I think you need to read the end of the sentence where it says (not always) again.

BTW, change your sig and name, they don't suite you at all. ;)

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

...........moronic things...........

I think you need to read the end of the sentence where it says (not always) again.

BTW, change your sig and name, they don't suite you at all. ;)

The signature doesn't suit, the name is debatable, but unrelated to Efficiency.

On topic;

Most people do not realise this, but most of the time, decisions made on anything is usually 'the most efficient manner to do so' (unless you're highly stupid). Choosing to train slayer instead of grinding could be more efficient for you because you may love slayer, but hate grinding, whilst choosing to grind instead of training slayer may be more efficient because of the less time to achieve the goals, and you don't hate grinding.

Sometimes, to be more efficient, you got to do less. (Not sure how this relates, but when I'm typing, sometimes I just have to slow down to reach a faster speed, through making less typos)

Besides the fact that reading this thread has provided me much amusement, I'm sticking with my original statement in regards to RS efficiency. It's fine, so long as you don't start being a douche about it.

Unfortunatly, many treat efficiency as a runescape religion it seems; if your not one of them, your either converted or trolled/burned at stake/what not.

Besides the fact that reading this thread has provided me much amusement, I'm sticking with my original statement in regards to RS efficiency. It's fine, so long as you don't start being a douche about it.

Unfortunatly, many treat efficiency as a runescape religion it seems; if your not one of them, your either converted or trolled/burned at stake/what not.

Depends what you're referring to. If you're referring to H&A Posts, they are asking for it. Man is always selfish, hence the 'Holier than thou' attitude towards Elitism.

What I personally do is try to be efficient, but if it gets too hard a rythm to maintain or jsut too boring, I stop.

However, I don't see why people are implying that you don't have fun when you're efficient...

How in the world does making the best gp/xp | revenue potion in herblore less funthan making whichever you want. Making a pot simply is making a pot.

Same for potions use in slayer. Of course, when people say it's best to re-pot every 6:32 minutes, they just give a figure of a good time to do so.

Personnaly, I've yet to see one example of a situation where decent efficiency causes a problem/makes you have less fun.

Pure-anti-efficiency people are just like lvl-3 skillers or "Pure F2P" people. They make things harder for themselves, then think they deserve recognition for that. That's elitism too.

WarBlastoise.png

I choose a healthy mix of the two. If I find the task boring, I'll seek out the most efficient method. If it's a task where the most efficient method isn't the most fun, then I won't use that method.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

I set out the perfect bait to reel the efficiency trolls in, snared them, gave them a taste of their own medicine, and boy they can't take what they dish out.

What a surprise.... :lol:

HA YOU GUYS FELL RIGHT INTO MY TRAP IT WAS MY PLAN ALL ALONG TO SAY STUPID THINGS SO THAT YOU WOULD CALL ME OUT ON THEM AND LOOK DUMB BECAUSE I DIDN'T MEAN IT AND YOU FELL FOR IT HAHA. :twss:

No it doesn't. That's just a strawman stereotype. It's simply not true.

[hide]

I'm also very interested in what the "efficient" people do in real life: I know at least 3 efficient players who are either engineers, or math majors. (Physics major here)

economicsfgt, reporting in

Mechanical Engineer here.

And I have a masters degree in chemical engineering.

Sorry to break your clown faced idea of the world.

I came into this thread earlier, and was against people who promote "efficiency", for the wrong reasons.

After watching the bickering back and forth, I think efficiency and inefficiency are still being used in stereotypical views.

Every person on on this game, is not efficient nor are they inefficient. Efficiency in a game is simply a view of how personal progress is based on another. Rather than saying someone is efficient, or inefficient, I think a more fair judgment would be to say that everyone here is proficient at completing the goals they set before them.

You have to remember that each person's goals are not always other players goals. Some players have goals for themselves, which might be to make sure no time is used without gaining some sort of XP benefit in the long run. Some players have goals to play clan wars as much as possible. Some players have goals to dance with friends around the G.E. as much as possible.

Who really is anti-efficiency?

There is no such side.

However, there are anti-elitists.

I am one.

I label the elitists on this site that troll every thread with their narcisstic dribble and badge of "efficiency" honor, efficiency trolls.

To be honest, this thread has been nothing but a hoot and I'm loving it.

I set out the perfect bait to reel the efficiency trolls in, snared them, gave them a taste of their own medicine, and boy they can't take what they dish out.

What a surprise.... :lol:

[/hide]

You just insulted someone based on their Major and occupation choice, then go on to say the efficiency guys are trolls, and you've somehow managed to prove it.

Having read nearly all the threads that are actually talked in, I've failed to see efficiency trolls other than maybe a few times in the Screenshot section.

On threads such as "Chaotic rapier vs Longsword" the efficiency people are discussing which is better at what objectively, because that is what the thread is for. When in the Help and Advice section, the efficiency are giving people the kind of answers they're looking for. If they didn't want efficient answers, and just wanted to play the way they find fun, they wouldn't be posting there.

Everywhere else, there's rarely any talk of efficiency since it'd be irrelevant.

So if you don't mind, can you please tell me where efficiency is trolled? (other then in screenshots.)

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Hmmm... Should I be scared that a gang of spreadsheet-wizards are considering themselves to be the elite group of players, just cause they think they know what's "right" and what's not? Let me think...... Nope. I am perfectly fine the way I am. So-called inefficient and using cost-effective, slow ways to train skills rather than blasting through the levels ASAP. It suits my casual playing style. Why should I pay a ridiculously huge premium to reach a certain skill level a few hours/days sooner? I don't want to get there fast, but I want to get there eventually. I don't know every statistical information about the game, how this affects that, and vice versa. Nor do I want to. Knowing too much corrupts. Elitism is exactly like that - corrupt, irresponsible and selfish. There is no right way to train a skill, just as there is no wrong way to do it.

Should I be scared that a gang of spreadsheet-wizards are considering themselves to be the elite group of players?

Should I be scared that a gang of spreadsheet-wizards

a gang of spreadsheet-wizards

spreadsheet-wizards

wizards

are-you-wizard.jpg

Sorry for the spam, but I just had to take advantage of this :mrgreen:

Guest jrhairychest

I don't really think anyone posting here could be considered anti-elitist. After all, where are all the elite posters to be 'anti' about? Theres certainly none here who even rank in the top 1k of players so I'm not sure where we are going with this, unless I missed someone by mistake. I thought elite meant along the lines of 'the best'.

so you'd say that the average efficiency person is more rude than the average person who doesn't really care?

Ok, so your saying Rach is stereotyping... then you go and post this

Most people do not realise this, but most of the time, decisions made on anything is usually 'the most efficient manner to do so' (unless you're highly stupid).

So your saying people who don't play efficiently are "highly stupid"? What?

By the way, I don't make decisions based on "the most efficient manner to do so". I choose to play minigames over killing dragons, or fight for worlds to MH. And I don't consider myself "highly stupid" :rolleyes:

Staurolite.png

Ok, so your saying Rach is stereotyping... then you go and post this

Most people do not realise this, but most of the time, decisions made on anything is usually 'the most efficient manner to do so' (unless you're highly stupid).

So your saying people who don't play efficiently are "highly stupid"? What?

By the way, I don't make decisions based on "the most efficient manner to do so". I choose to play minigames over killing dragons, or fight for worlds to MH. And I don't consider myself "highly stupid" :rolleyes:

He's using the word efficient in a more general term than what you are interpreting.

Killing dragons is not necessarily more efficient than playing minigames.

In the strictly gp/xp/time interpretation of efficiency, that would be true.

But you need to realize, that that is not the interpretation of efficiency.

Naaxi.png

I play to have fun. If I happen to find something fun that's an effecient training method, that's a bonus.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

when anyone makes a decision to do something, they are generally making a rational decision based on what they perceive to be the best (efficient as he said) results.

the "highly stupid" would refer to people who do not make rational choices and randomly choose to do something? or something like that.

i believe that's what he was trying to say

if you say "i'm gonna kill goblins for an hour cause i love goblins" that is a rational choice

when anyone makes a decision to do something, they are generally making a rational decision based on what they perceive to be the best (efficient as he said) results.

the "highly stupid" would refer to people who do not make rational choices and randomly choose to do something? or something like that.

if you say "i'm gonna kill goblins for an hour cause i love goblins" that is a rational choice

That's what I said...

Every rational choice is a efficient choice. So what's the problem?

actually I do often throw a dice to see what to do in runescape. (I din't really care what I do, I just want to have a relaxing time with my friends, so if no one is online i'm lost in runescape and quickly utterly bored - sadly this happens to my friends nowadays too, and since runescape is impossible to idle no one is online anymore).

but on a complete different note, let me tell you something I just read in the newspapers:

A post man just delivered a USB-stick with a lot of data which showed that a lot, a really lot of post went missing & undelivered. - The quick question was: why, why is this happening suddenly so much? - The quick answer was: cause there are too few employees, and post men don't like to work overtime anymore.

Follow up question was of course: "why don't they work overtime anymore, and refuse to do a little bit extra work?" (pretty normal if you do a job you work overtime a bit here)

Now a lot of research was done, but in the end only 1 conclusion could be made:

-because of the current state of the post-organization, starting with the removal of local headquarters, then moving everything global.. And finally dictating everything the postman had to do and in which order, All to increase the efficienty dictated by a foreign investor from the us, the post man have lost their love and personal touch with the job.

This is a very, very real problem you get easily when creating a mind where efficiency is the best thing to achieve. - And I really hope people here keep maybe the little efficienty freak thingies they have (we have all our weird things) in game and be relaxing in real life later!

It's sad to see such a good company go to ruin in less than 7 years (7 years ago it was still a govern-based company and instead of efficiency quality was the highest good).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I'm not going against anything you guys are saying, but how exactly do you afk MA? I've never played that game so I have no idea..

This...

Might start MA if its so easily afkable.

if you are suiciding, then you can ignore the game for a good three or four minutes while your units are dying

fishing.gif