The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Discussion Thread

sephiroth_king

You can go back to the jail and take it from the evidence chest if your lockpicking is good enough.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Db spoiler

Goodness, killing the emperor was pretty cool. And the whole killing the amound motierre dude was awesome too. Was a bit short and repetitive, but all in all, DB was pretty fun. Plus shadowmere is a BAMF. And killing Cicero was satisfying.

Dude the emperor is a bro. I killed the guy who took the contract out on him without a spot of remorse

hzvjpwS.gif

What side of destruction magic is best? I heard lightning was?

And if i am a battle mage is it best to wear heavy armour or mage robes with bonuses?

In terms of resistances go, I think there are fewer enemies who can resist shock.

However, a smart mage will use all three for the situation: fire adds more damage over time (when the enemy is on fire), frost drains stam (you won't get hit as hard), and shock drains mana (awesome against mages).

If you want to become a battle mage and wear heavy armor, you need to train up enchanting, then enchant the awesome stats of robes over to your armor. Early-game you'll have to put up with robes (in my opinion, the 50% mana recharge is fantastic) but once your enchanting is in the high 20s, low 30s you can really feel the benefits of enchanting.*

*This is my personal taste. You can go ahead and wear 15%/20%/25% mana recharge rate if you really want the armor. I'm more of a mana than armor guy myself.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

You can go back to the jail and take it from the evidence chest if your lockpicking is good enough.

Thank you. It's probably not good enough (29 or so) seeing as its an expert chest, but I am assuming I can go there at a later point and pick it up.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Db spoiler

Goodness, killing the emperor was pretty cool. And the whole killing the amound motierre dude was awesome too. Was a bit short and repetitive, but all in all, DB was pretty fun. Plus shadowmere is a BAMF. And killing Cicero was satisfying.

Dude the emperor is a bro. I killed the guy who took the contract out on him without a spot of remorse

Yeah me too. I wish you could choose whether to kill him or not :(

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Db spoiler

[hide]Definitely the best minor character I've had the pleasure of assassinating. As soon as he requested the killing of Motierre, there was an arrow in Motierre's face. [/hide]

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Db spoiler

[hide]Definitely the best minor character I've had the pleasure of assassinating. As soon as he requested the killing of Motierre, there was an arrow in Motierre's face. [/hide]

Agreed, after the fake I expected the real one to be a total douche. I even tried to thrall the real one after I killed him (Dead Thrall) but it didn't stick or something <_<

lol been doing that a lot lately actually, feelin like Sliske up in this shittt

Were some great items in his little room too. Pulled a Daedric 2h off the wall, all manner of fine gems, and a pair of "Gilded Wristguards" or something. Any idea what they're for?

Also how do I tell Shadowmere to gtfo and stop following me everytime I quick travel? Didn't use horses up until this point and still see no need to...

2dgucz6.png

I've tried to get back in after the quest but didn't go in. I can't remember if the door required a key or if it just required picking the lock with guards nearby. I'm probably no help here :)

I feel I may have missed out on the dark brotherhood quests as I simply killed the woman from the start then wiped them out.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I have just done the embassy party mission but didnt bring any lockpicks so i couldnt get into that valuable cabinet in the ambassadors house thingy. Can i go back and get it or do i have to restart?

Nope. You've got to glitch to get back in, or if you play on PC, you can get back in, I think, by typing TCL into the console and walking in.

I've tried to get back in after the quest but didn't go in. I can't remember if the door required a key or if it just required picking the lock with guards nearby. I'm probably no help here :)

I feel I may have missed out on the dark brotherhood quests as I simply killed the woman from the start then wiped them out.

Yep. You're done. No chance to get in now.

#rpgformod

Thank you. It's probably not good enough (29 or so) seeing as its an expert chest, but I am assuming I can go there at a later point and pick it up.

I think you may also be able to pick a key from a guard in the jail, probably the one sitting next to the chest, that will open it. Not for sure about that though.

I finally caved after seeing the game, and bought it, and a little wile ago I had a little experience which pretty much summed up why this game is epic, at least for me.

So I'm in the middle of a forest doing some horse riding and looking for whatever locations I can find (as a break from questing), and I've gone down this long road, and I'm about to use quick travel to get back to the nearest branch in the road. Some music starts like a second before I bring up the map, and it tells me I can't fast travel while in combat. So I close the map, check my compass. Nothing. So I'm thinking uh oh, dragon. A second after this revelation I hear the roar, and I start looking for cover.

My normal MO for dragon fighting is to dual cast lighting at them to get them down to 50% so they cant fly (using the first part of the ethereal shout to make myself invulnerable if they breathe on me while I'm in the open), and then I hide behind a rock big enough to shield me from them and use it as cover while my magic recharges enough to fire another dual shot, pop out, hit them and then dive back in, using healing spells if I get caught or take a hit.

But I'm in a forrest in the middle of bum[bleep] nowhere, and the local trees would provide about as much cover as standing behind a rabbit.

So I'm taking all this in, and I realize I can't make a stand where I am. Also, in about 10 seconds a dragon is probably going to breathe on and incerate me (I'll live) and my horse (it might not, and I don't want to buy another one). So I jump off the horse and sprint off into the woods praying I can find a rock big enough to stand behind. About 10 seconds off the trail, I find one, just as I get blasted by frost breath, which is a first for me, and slam on the etheral shout before I can take more damage. I take my 10 seconds of awesomeness and run for cover, and then I start to open fire. I can get off almost 7 dual casted lightning bolts before needed to recharge, and the dragons fly around so much its normally not an issue before I can damage them enough that they can't fly. A small thunderstorm and a couple shouts later, I've discovered that my cover sucks and I'm running around like a crazy person trying to dodge attacks, but staying close enough that I can return fire.

Anyway, the dragon dies. Now I'm standing in a forest and I'm wondering if the dragon killed my horse, because there was a few seconds at the start of the fight where I thought it might be chasing my horse, but after like twenty seconds of stomping through bushes I find it, safe and sound.

Also, I thought I might be wasting a perk when I made it so that dual casted destruction spells (except for the novice ones at least) cause a knock back stun effect. That perk has been saving my ass since I got it. For dragons, its enough that if I can shoot before they do, they are stunned long enough for me to get back behind something. But its a real life saver when someone is trying to charge at you, and you keep knocking them back. Unfortunately, for most enemies where that is a big problem (especially giants, which I am finding very hard to kill), I seem to run out of magic before they die, which normally means using a shout (I have a couple that do the trick) to buy myself time, followed by creative sprinting. The pro of being a lighting mage, other than looking totally awesome, is that you don't have to lead your target. Accuracy is a breeze. The problem is that its a gigantic magic drain. I am thinking I might invest in some frost magic if I get some perk points I'm not to attached too so that I have something to use in longer battles, or when I have multiple foes where slowing everyone down would be very helpful.

Also, high elf was a good idea. Once a day I get to be nearly invincible as my super magic restoration (that lasts a minute) powers my dual casted healing spells (which I have invested 3 perks into to make them more effective and efficient), while still leaving enough left over in the tank to return some serious fire. It was enough to evade and destroy two melee dudes and two mages, all chasing me in a confined space (plus my ice shout which imobalised the last two long enough to get some magic going, after I forgot I carry potions for emergencies, to kill them both when they got back up).

I also took a look, and it seems I might be able to learn the same shouts that dragons use to breath fire and ice. Oh how I would love to jump out and hit them with their own attack.

That dragon killing method is super complicated. What I do is just use the Marked for Death shout and just start beating the crap out of the dragon when it lands. My character has recently started jumping on top of the dragon's head and bashing it's skull in for the kill.

Since I already got my one-handed skill to 100 after about 50 hours of game time I've just been letting enemies hit me while I block them with my shield. It's actually quite sad because they're dying while they're hitting me because of my Ebony Mail armor. I have to brawl in my underwear because of that armor but I found Gloves of Puglism so fist fighting has also gotten extremely easy.

And yes Randox, you can learn the Fire and Frost Breath shouts. Both of which I use regularly.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Heh, only level 11 (or 12) here. I don't find my method to complicated.

1. Find big rock and stand next to it

2. Shoot lightning at dragon when its close

3. When Dragon lands stand away from it behind big rock, charge spell, step out and release, then walk back behind (and since my dual spells stun, if I have the energy I can stand there shooting it until I need to recharge)

4. If caught out in the open under breath attack, go ethereal and run to cover

I only have 4 shouts. The one that throws things (lvl 3) (which does jack shit to a dragon), the one that makes me run fast (lvl 1) which is useless, the one to freeze enemies (lvl 1) (which also does nothing going by its effect on a mammoth), and ethereal (lvl 1) which immediately stops all damage and renders me unable to attack for about 10 seconds.

I can't wait until I hit 100 destruction and can start disintigrating my enemies :thumbsup:

I am also loving the do what you want when you want game play. The game reminds me a lot of Fallout New Vegas (which makes sense seeing as they are the same company, and share some of the same mechanics), but better.

Not a huge fan of the blizzards in the north. They are well done, but at the end of the day, I prefer to ride in the south through a sunny forest rather than the north in a frozen hell hole (with wind!).

Is Oblivion any better? I'm coming close to finishing my Skyrim journey, with one or two parts to the College quests remaining, and about a third of the main quest left in the ways of quests (Which is all I'll be doing, until DLC comes along). I have Oblivion, but is it the same as Skyrim in the ways of join group, do quests, become leader, done?

#rpgformod

Is Oblivion any better? I'm coming close to finishing my Skyrim journey, with one or two parts to the College quests remaining, and about a third of the main quest left in the ways of quests (Which is all I'll be doing, until DLC comes along). I have Oblivion, but is it the same as Skyrim in the ways of join group, do quests, become leader, done?

Yes, but it's a lot more fleshed out and better. One of the flaws with Skyrim was it's faction quests were too short and simple. The faction quests in Oblivion were a lot more fleshed out and felt like actual accomplishments.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Randox, your strategy is a lot more complicated than most people's, but that's probably because you are a pure mage.

My strategy:

1. Find open space so that the damn thing will land.

2. Hide behind shield and pray to Malacath you won't die when he breaths fire and still flying (I got the Elemental Protection perk).

3. When he finally lands, pop Berserker Rage, shield bash his skull in periodically so that he won't attack, and hack and slash away.

Oh, you could also add in a few potions and Marked for Death if you want to.

22031_s.gif

Randox, your strategy is a lot more complicated than most people's, but that's probably because you are a pure mage.

My strategy:

1. Find open space so that the damn thing will land.

2. Hide behind shield and pray to Malacath you won't die when he breaths fire and still flying (I got the Elemental Protection perk).

3. When he finally lands, pop Berserker Rage, shield bash his skull in periodically so that he won't attack, and hack and slash away.

Oh, you could also add in a few potions and Marked for Death if you want to.

I think I have a fairly simple strategy that's sort of like this one:

1. Find open spot, but take potshots with bow if he's stationary (Say, breathing fire on some unlucky Forsworn) until he lands.

2. Slash repeatedly at its wings until it dies, healing with Close Wounds periodically.

It helps to have essentially maxed one-handed damage through perks, enchantments, and smithing.

Dragonrend is optional, but fits in both 1 and 2, depending on the quality of the dragon. Regular/blood dragons, I can kill before it could take off again. Frost and elder dragons, not so much.

I'm still liking the dragon that was dumb enough to attack the mage collage in windhelm. I've never seen a dragon die so fast before, seeing as there were like 3 mages outside at the time, and they all seem to be fairly powerful (or at least the destruction girl sure as hell is). I barely had time to get in some pot shots and stand behind a pillar.

I guess my strategy doesn't seem complicated to me because I'm just doing what comes naturally, and I've gotten very good at it. It's easier to do when you see the dragon in advance, sine that allows you to select your battle ground before you start shooting it. Today I would like to see about getting a more powerful freezing shout, since its perfect for imobilizing a small group for a long time. I am also hoping that with more words, it might be able to affect larger creatures. The best my single word has been able to hurt is a giant, but their mammouths shake it off even easier than they do my completed shout of sending people flying.

As a side note, if I were a theif, and I tied to rob someone and their response was to shout at me in a weird language followed by my flaying heaed over heals 40ft into the side of a cliff, I would run away. I would not charge at them. If for some reason I didn't get the hint the first time, the lightning that knocked me flat on my ass would be a good a clue.

I am finding it very difficult to get a good 1 handed weapon. I have my elven dagger, and I need to see if I can do anything to sharpen it, and the mace of some god that steals souls. The mace is stronger, but I want to hold off on it since I don't want to hurt the enchanment with a dozen full stones in my inventory. I'm also going to have to make some daggers to practice my enchanting on.

And I need to find more vendors who will take dragon bones and scales off of me so that I can get more money, and maybe get my armour back. I am enjoying using robes now that I have spent some time with them. The higher recharge is a god send and the exta magika is nice too, but for those times when I do get into a sword fight, I would like to have my steel armour back.

I may be wandering a little offtopic here, but I was wondering where you'd all like to see the next TES game set ('All of Tamriel' not being a valid answer ;-) ). My personal preference would probably be High Rock, followed by the Summerset Isles.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I'd like to see that desert area that the redguards come from. I can't remember the name though.