Oh the perils of botting

anonymouse_

Hahahaha

Priceless.

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit the term "karma" really does come to mind ... :thumbsup:

Edit:

I would like to add that, for some time now, I've said that the botters will likely reap their just desserts, because it was entirely likely that these programs carried with them keyloggers and/or other similar programming.

It comes as no surprise to me that this may now have happened.

For certain, while I was fishing on Feb 1, I certainly did notice far fewer bots around, although I thought it more likely that everyone was out PKing and not fishing.

That said, I have seen the return of bots to the fishing spots in Catherby, although not in the record numbers that predicted would happen after they re-instituted "Cheatscape".

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

I have to admit the term "karma" really does come to mind ... :thumbsup:

Edit:

I would like to add that, for some time now, I've said that the botters will likely reap their just desserts, because it was entirely likely that these programs carried with them keyloggers and/or other similar programming.

It comes as no surprise to me that this may now have happened.

For certain, while I was fishing on Feb 1, I certainly did notice far fewer bots around, although I thought it more likely that everyone was out PKing and not fishing.

That said, I have seen the return of bots to the fishing spots in Catherby, although not in the record numbers that predicted would happen after they re-instituted "Cheatscape".

:rolleyes:

Just wait until a new free botting program goes viral. Then you'll see even more bots everywhere. Which is a pity.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

I wondered if this was the reason. I knew there was an open-source bot that most of the people in the CT dragons and ess mines were using.

If it was open-source, why didn't they check the code for scripts that sent their login details to the owners of the client?

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Just wait until a new free botting program goes viral. Then you'll see even more bots everywhere. Which is a pity.

True that. For all we know maybe these botters are creating whole new bots which will take over Runescape :ohnoes:

Oh well, for now I guess this is good news.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

No matter who did it, why did they wait so long to actually make their move?

If they've been collecting this information, surely they would have done something before now, I mean nobody knew free trade would come back until recently.

There were still ways to transfer gold before, considering they're already breaking the rules by hacking people I doubt they'd have a problem with abusing bugs to do it back then.

If they've been collecting this information, surely they would have done something before now, I mean nobody knew free trade would come back until recently.

There were still ways to transfer gold before, considering they're already breaking the rules by hacking people I doubt they'd have a problem with abusing bugs to do it back then.

Good things come to those who wait.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

I wondered if this was the reason. I knew there was an open-source bot that most of the people in the CT dragons and ess mines were using.

If it was open-source, why didn't they check the code for scripts that sent their login details to the owners of the client?

When was the last time you looked at the Firefox code, for example? Just because something is open source doesn't mean you need to look through every line of code yourself. As with most open source software people just download and get on with their life.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

"recently" was months ago. If I were the one collecting all those IDs/passwords from a public bot? I would definitely have waited at least that long to start emptying the accounts. I mean, as soon as you start cleaning out the accounts your credibility is shot, so you'd have to hold onto all of it until you've gotten the number of accounts you're after.

That's just if it were me though.

This is basicallly one RWT sites hacking its competitor. And for what it's worth, they did a much BETTER job than Jagex in punishing those cheaters. It's too bad that the hack only affeted maybe a small (but significant) portion of the botters. I personally hope this hacking war continues between the 2 bot/rwt providers. If this continues, it's a better cheating deterrant than whatever Jagex is offering.

(BUY YOUR BANNED ACCOUNT BACK?? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

The ironic thing is, now that these accounts have lost their items, some will go buy gp in order to gain back their losses. Guess where that's going to come from?

:thumbup:

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

When was the last time you looked at the Firefox code, for example? Just because something is open source doesn't mean you need to look through every line of code yourself. As with most open source software people just download and get on with their life.

Yes, but you would think someone would have noticed and told others about it. Unless they did and demanded a cut of the profits instead :thumbup:

Bwahahahaha! Well played. RWTing sites are doing more to discourage people from RWTing than Jagex is. Hope the backstabbery (that's a word, and you know it) continues.

I don't see how the RWT sites are doing more than Jagex, seeing as they only lose their items and gold, as opposed to their items, gold and account.

What's funny about this post is that I'm pretty sure you yourself are a botter. Why would you know this information unless you are directly associated with these botting sites. Most people don't know that the most popular botting site is run by the gold selling site. Most people also don't know about the login names and passwords being stored. I've seen screenshots of your accounts and it's pretty obvious you bot judging from your stats and wealth.How do I know this stuff myself? take a guess.

I read botting forums.

It's constantly being updated, could have been sneaked in at any time.

I'm guessing your runecrafting experience will be coming to a halt.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I stopped rcing maybe a week ago, after completing my goal of top 2k rank. I still have my bank (including my 1.7M death runes), if you're wondering :thumbup:

From what I heard, it wasn't the client owners who hacked the accounts, but rather the maker of the "scripts"...

Apparently, the bot is an open-source API that can store passwords for doing task that require a login (such as switching worlds). The people who developed the API allowed the "script" to access the methods that have access to username and password.

Anyone who knows anything about programming would be able to spot the malicious code, however most of RS players are 12 year old kids who don't really have the brain capacity to understand programming (yes, some kids are able to at that age. If you wanna make that argument, you missed the point of my post)....

Also these kids opted for precompiled versions of the "scripts". Not that hard to release a legit scrpt, and also post a precompiled version which is from a different source which contains malicious code.

Moral of the story: Hacking botters is like stealing candy from a baby.

PS: I am currently about to graduate with a degree in CENG. I haven't played runescape since High School, and when I did, I never macroed due to the fact that I really didn't understand (or even care to understand) programming until college. This was mainly due to growing up in a rural town where the high school electives were limited. With the knowledge I have now, I would be interested to see how advanced these API's are for these bots. I make a substantial income, so I have no reason try and "get into the business", but if kids can learn basic programming from these bots, then I would argue that a person who bots and writes there own code to do so deserves way more respect then a "legit" player who wastes his days playing a game. That's just my two cents.

w4M8t.png

Moral of the story: Hacking botters is like stealing candy from a baby.

Isn't it stealing candy from someone who's making and selling fake Mars bars?

;)

Anywho; RWT-ers too lazy to make the money they sell now? Improvement?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I'm far from concerned about your bank, Jagex is far too stupid to figure out who is a bot and who isn't.

Consider yourself lucky, sir. :thumbup:

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

The most popular free bot client collected and stored every user's login details, resulting in a lot of accounts having their banks cleaned shortly after the free trade update. If someone you know had their banks cleaned recently, they were probably using these bots. The bot site was since taken down by the owners, coincidentally also the owners of one of the biggest rwt sites. So if you've noticed a large drop in the number of bots recently, this is why. Fun stuff :thumbup: :thumbup:

The site wasn't taken down. It is being DDoSed. One of the admins left and started a new botting site due to a lack of pay from the first site. They are both in a DDoS battle to try and steal each other's traffic.

Also, it is still unknown who specifically cleaned the accounts. There are multiple admins, no one knows who to trust.

By the way, i don't bot/cheat. I am however members on many other forums and love to see the botters getting their rage on :) It is very satisfying.

GuidesForScapers.png

Legalize baby punching. Tax and regulate it. Punch babies erry day.