Behind the Scenes - March

Michael

Behind the Scenes - March

March kicks off with two workshops first Elemental Workshop IV' date=' soon followed by the Artisans Workshop, home of a long-awaited Smithing update. Then theres Bonus XP, wealthier rings, uglier trolls and singing pirates. Oh, and Rabid Jacks minions have a dastardly new plan in A Clockwork Syringe, a master level pirate quest.

Elemental Workshop IV

The first planned updated for March is the next quest in the Elemental Workshop series, and its totally cosmic. Well, perhaps not totally cosmic...because its chaotic too! You see, Elemental Workshop IV will not only bring with it access to the cosmic machine, but the chaos machine as well, and youll have to solve the puzzle of how to get both of them working again.

Follow in Vitruviuss footsteps and get these machines online, and youll soon be wearing the brand new rewards that come with it this time in the form of elemental gloves and boots. The quest series story also starts to come more to the fore this time, as youll not only learn more about what happened to Vitruvius and his apprentice, youll also meet the series first proper character...

Artisans Workshop

The Smithing skill will then be next in line to receive its long-awaited update. Some industrious dwarves are preparing to set up shop with an Artisans Workshop in south-east Falador nearby the Mining Guild. These artisans arent the friendliest of dwarves, but theyre willing to open up their workshop to humans, providing new training opportunities, so long as you provide your own ores...

Dwarves are ever in need of new cart track to make repairs and expand their network, so, although its aimed at level 1-30 Smithing, everyone is free to lend a hand here. Life as a dwarf must also be fraught with danger, as there is also a constant demand for dwarven burial armour, the creation of which is taught within the workshops walls, which should prove useful for anyone from levels 30-70 Smithing. Parts of these two training methods are available to free-players, though members will be able to get more out of them.

Members then gain exclusive access to two further training methods: cannon repair and ceremonial swords. Aksel in the cannon repair room would have you believe that "working with these silver beauties" is reward enough, but its also a decent training method for smiths of level 40 and up. The real challenge for level 70+ smiths, though, is making ceremonial swords... Its not for everyone, as its a fine and precise art, but those who can master it should earn more XP working on adamant ceremonial swords than they could bashing out adamant platebodies.

Theres all sorts going on in the workshop, so while youre busy with one of the four main training methods, keep an eye out for other opportunities to gain favour with your surly, beard-covered artisan hosts. Rewards consist of small boosts and bonuses for training in the Artisans Workshop, and the option to 'bling' your dwarf multicannon.

Bonus XP Weekend

If you missed the announcement newspost, the next thing coming for members in March will be our third Bonus XP Weekend. The event will run from 12pm GMT (1pm CET) on Friday 11th March until the end of Sunday 13th March, and will follow the same format as the last one (a starting multiplier of 2.7x, which decrements every 30 minutes; Summoning capped at a rate of 1.1x). For and FAQ about the event, check out the Three Cheers blog, and if youd like to discuss it on the forums, head on over to The Next Bonus XP Weekend thread.

Ring of Wealth Update

RoW, huh, what is it good for? Thats a question open for debate, but, further on in March, were aiming to add a few more pluses to the positives column. Thats right, everyones favourite enchanted dragonstone ring, the ring of wealth, is going to start to live up to its name a little better.

For starters, there will be messages that tell you when the ring has actually done something, so therell be no more guesswork. There will be slight increases to the chances of receiving rare drops from popular bosses, clue scrolls and unique Slayer drops. Also, it wont just increase your chances of gaining an item from the so-called rare drop table, but will also increase the value of a handful of standard drops on many NPCs.

The ring will also be getting some very specific benefits for things such as Pyramid Plunder, Bork, Barrows and kingly implings. Finally, it will be getting a couple of handy teleport options, and will have teleport charges added to it, which youll be able to recharge much like you already can with other enchanted dragonstone jewellery.

Trolls and Trollheim Graphical Improvements

March also has some graphical updates in the pipeline this time its the turn of the trolls. Some of the new designs were used for the troll characters in the recent King of the Dwarves quest, but the rest of the games trolls (and their mountainous home) will soon be getting the same rocky new look.

A Clockwork Syringe

Barrelchests! You scabbed Captain Donnies picket line and stitched up Mi-Gors harebrained scheme, so those two are teaming up with a third of Rabid Jacks hench-captains a mechanic whos going to fix the problems (and the problem is you!). Theyve got a plan so dastardly that theyre gonna get away with it too, unless some meddling adventurer cares to step in.

Prepare for what may be the craziest pirate quest yet with home insurance claims, a hazing interrogation, long drops, vengeful seagulls, Barrel Busters and a boatload of zombio-mechanical madness. (Note: no kittens were harmed in the development of this quest.) It will be the first quest with a Dungeoneering requirement (of level 50); other requirements include Construction, Defence, Slayer, Smithing , Summoning and Thieving at levels currently ranging from 60-76.

If its been a while since you last got down with your inner pirate, dont get your shanties in a bunch a new all-singing, all-rhyming character is being added to the game to give you a colourful rum-soaked rundown of your various tales from the high seas. Keep an eye out for Bard Roberts (and his critical chum, Stanky Morgan) showing up on Mos LeHarmless later this month.

In other news...

Some of Marchs other updates will include a Fremmenik longships worth of tiny tweaks and gameplay improvements to the Dungeoneering skill, and graphical improvements to Lumbridge Swamp, yaks and cows.

Have fun!

Mod Mark

RuneScape Lead Designer[/quote']

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Elemental Workshop IV

RageFace.jpg

More hours-long puzzles. :wall:

A Clockwork Syringe
Lol....

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

I am so [bleep]ing pissed off with this aparrent update.... All it does is change the bloody way people will train. I knew Jagex would [bleep] it up. I knew it! :wall: High level smithing is dying and what do they do? They add another nail to the coffin.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

I think smithing update will end up being a giant disappointment. Doesn't appear to add any new items/abilities, and could be just an equivalent to sawmill for training. (IE, speed but no real rewards)

Quests are always great.

RoW - it'd have to be a sizable boost for most people to give up their current rings. Increased effigies pl0x? This change has the best chance to be a great update for this month, but could also be the biggest disappointment.

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

The trouble is with RoW, unless they actually state that it increases by 5-10% or something, the actual gain or boost in drop rate will be purely speculative and require 1000's of sample logs again, ffs lol.

Also if it's significant enough to outweigh the increased kill speed of a Fero Ring, good fight Kuradel, inc Duradel for slayer tbh.

qjDiz.png

http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

A Clockwork Syringe
Lol....

I c wat they did thar.

Looks like a really good month. Kinda excited to see the smithing updates.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Er, Jagex, that wasn't what we meant by 'The Smithing Update'. We want more useful applications for the skill, like modifying armour and weapons, not faster ways of training it. You're making the same mistake you did for the All Fired Up quest.

Also, double quest month! icon_e_biggrin.gif

~ W ~

sigzi.png

2 Quests?

YESSSSSSSSSSS

New trollheim should be cool as well, I've been looking forward to that.

Artisan's workshop sounds like a "moar exp per hour plox" update.

RoW sounds interesting.

Quests are my highlight this month.

Wow, i really wanted to 'bling' my cannon... :unsure: I hope its better than it sounds, even though i'm not high smithing it certainly does not sound like what they said it would be last year.

Row - probably still not worth it, kinda useless improving slayer drops since I use Kuradels dungeon 90% of the time, but we will see.

Quests sound ok, part from I hate those puzzles.

A medicore month, BXW is by far the best update IMO this month.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

Well i have to say that i am a little disappointed in the smithing update... I was hopping for something that really revamped the skill, my only hope now is that the ores used must be mined on location and have their own decent xp rates and levels. If not this smithing update at least so far sounds pretty crappy for how long it took to get it ready for us. ROW update seems pretty good i have like 30 ROWs for some reason, ill be happy to cash most of them in when the update happens.

Also if it's significant enough to outweigh the increased kill speed of a Fero Ring, good fight Kuradel, inc Duradel for slayer tbh.

It won't be. Hardly anything in Kuradal's dungeon has any drops worth hunting. Dark bows, whips, granite mauls, d legs/skirts, etc. are worthless nowadays (and could become moreso if wealth does a lot to increase them). Only the visage could possibly be worth it, and I really doubt it'll increase the chances of one enough to be worth losing that much DPS.

Smithing update looks disappointing as hell. God damnit. Herblore gets to be another combat with its update, smithing turns into another woodcutting?

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

My opinion is the best update this month will be the RoW (aside from the BXPW). Seeing as Jagex have got our wanting of a "smithing update" entirely wrong... Why didn't they simply just ask on the Forums for christ sake?

Well, quests are nice, especially more lore for EW. Pirate quests are always fun, hopefully we get a high combat boss again?

RoW sounds almost to good to be true, hence it probably is.

Smithing... meh

"He
really
calls himself Noobz?"

Sheep.gif

[hide=STATS]Noobz.png[/hide]

I am so [bleep]ing pissed off with this aparrent update.... All it does is change the bloody way people will train. I knew Jagex would [bleep] it up. I knew it! :wall: High level smithing is dying and what do they do? They add another nail to the coffin.

How DARE you infer that Jagex would mess something up!!! :rolleyes:

*snort*

I knew I couldn't say that with a straight face.

Artisans Workshop

The Smithing skill will then be next in line to receive its long-awaited update. Some industrious dwarves are preparing to set up shop with an Artisans Workshop in south-east Falador nearby the Mining Guild. These artisans arent the friendliest of dwarves, but theyre willing to open up their workshop to humans, providing new training opportunities, so long as you provide your own ores...

So, THIS is our long-awaited Smithing update? Really? No. Really?

With all the probabilities, the possibilities and the opportunities they had, THIS is the best they could come up with?

*facepalm*

nyuseg.png

As usual I'm most excited about in other news. Dungeoneering gameplay improvements? Hells yeah. I want more stuff like right click quickcast create gatestone, quickswitch ring of kinship, right click pray now altar, etc. Those are the best updates.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Quests good.

Other updates bad.

I like their name choice for A Clockwork Syringe, too. Very Kubrick.

Actually -- that'd be very "Burgess", but still ... :rolleyes:

Or very horrorshow, my droogies.

nyuseg.png

When I read the first few lines about the smithing update, I was thinking that Jagex had done it so wrong.

Then I read

ceremonial swords

and hope started to return, until :

those who can master it should earn more XP working on adamant ceremonial swords than they could bashing out adamant platebodies

WHAT?! WE'VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG TO CRAFT FRICKIN LEVEL 30 WEAPONS TO EARN SOME EXTRA XP?

IDIOTSIDIOTSIDIOTSIDIOTSIDIOTSIDIOTSIDIOTSIDIOTSIDIOTSIDIOTSIDIOTSIDIOTSIDIOTSIDIOTSIDIOTS :wall:

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.