An "inside job" ?

@Dan3HitU

Off Topic -1:

A few years back, some people I know were all in a clan together. I couldn't join the clan because, at that time, I did not possess enough combat and skill levels to meet their requirements.

Anyways, one evening I was wandering through Lumby swamp when I noticed that the whole lot of them, the whole damn clan, were out there in Lumby swamp gathering up swamp tar.

"Whatcha doin'?", I asked.

"Nothing much, just gathering Swamp Tar," they said.

"... um, why?", I asked.

"No reason," they said.

A few weeks passed and, sure enough, there they were, every night gathering Swamp Tar. The literally had tens of thousands of the damn things each, all banked and carefully stowed away. Strangest thing I ever ...

Then, all the sudden, the Hunter skill came out and Swamp Tar was a hot selling item. 700, 800 coins a pop. :rolleyes:

Was a "fix" on? Dunno. But I've always wondered how in the hell they knew to gather swamp tar when no one else was doing it ...

nyuseg.png

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mistake like this could get you fired from a job in industry, I really doubt anyone would risk their job for the benefit of couple hundred million gps.

Bugs to exist when you program, it is unavoidable, because now days all software/programming is based on layers and layers of abstraction that sometimes just break down at the lower level, the only way to fix it is really to run it over and over again, and patch it when it breaks.

Yes, but they run the update on several computers well before it even goes "live".

Runescape get a content patched update almost every week, one week is barely enough time to test anything. Before any content patch gets released in Wow it has to go through the public test realm for over a month or 2, tests by some of the most knowledgable players. It is not the same time frame.

A mistake like this could get you fired from a job in industry, I really doubt anyone would risk their job for the benefit of couple hundred million gps.

Bugs to exist when you program, it is unavoidable, because now days all software/programming is based on layers and layers of abstraction that sometimes just break down at the lower level, the only way to fix it is really to run it over and over again, and patch it when it breaks.

Yes, but they run the update on several computers well before it even goes "live".

Runescape get a content patched update almost every week, one week is barely enough time to test anything. Before any content patch gets released in Wow it has to go through the public test realm for over a month or 2, tests by some of the most knowledgable players. It is not the same time frame.

I doubt very much that they created the new drop tables and altered the ROW in one week. When was the actual Dev Blog posted about the "ring of wealthier" as they called it? It was in progress long before that at least.

Even still... ROW alters drops, including boss drops. Maybe test it at boss monsters with and without LS/CS? As I said, it takes all but 5 minutes. If it was, "Well, it's not supposed to work with LS, then why should we test it?" then it is mere laziness. Or, if they simply didn't think of trying with LS/CS, then they obviously don't deserve their jobs because of their stupidity and lacking abilities in QA. Like really.

09144a99bb.png

The proper way to release content every week is to build up a queue of updates months in advance. Giving plenty of time to thoroughly test them and ensure they are 100% complete and bug free weeks before the release dates.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Climing boots were 100% leaked, so i wouldn't be too surprised if this wasn't just a bug too.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

It's obvious to most that Jagex have their favorites, player wise. Are you a player Mod and a kiss ass? Welcome to MMG's friend list. Videomaker on the YouTubes? Ohey Mod Mark! Run a RuneScape [something]? Frrrriiiieeennddsss list. Know one of them on Xbox live? You're in.

For at least one of the former reasons, I used to be friends with a bunch of Jagex Moderators. Some of their mouths are known to run wild, and a lot of company secrets end up being leaked, especially if you're close. I was told about non game-affecting updates like Orb of Oculus and various other small things long before they were implemented in game. Hell, I have a buddy that has personal E-Mail correspondence with at least 10 - 20 Jagex Employees, even though that's not supposed to happen. Jagex are also known to negotiate with glitchers, to the point where Jagex will unban accounts with billions in rares on them just to be told how to patch a glitch.

The beauty of writing the law is that you're never wrong if you don't want to be. Why would Jagex tell the truth about a f***-up if they don't have to? Why would they apologize if they don't need to? They don't answer to us. There are always screams of mass "unsubscribing from membership", but it never happens.

You should see some of the bulls*** I read on the Pmod forums an High Level Forums almost daily. More Drama than schoolgirls and more coverups than Watergate. It's sickening. But hey, it's what we have to put up with, there's no reasonable alternative, it's why most of us stick around. There's nothing else quite like RuneScape.

Whether or not the Sigil glitch was intentional or not, I don't know. How many they said came into the game, and how little they said it will affect prices, is what I will continue to question.

The people who adamantly defend All Jmods are the ones with the Gold Stars in the clanchats and their noses up Jagex's asses. They give them far too much credit.

This company sucks.

Trying to be more charitable, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that if the QA team teamed up and did a 5-10 man test run on Corp, they might not have noticed anything. Maybe they would have got an arcane or spectral sigil, and thought "looks good". I doubt Jagex has enough QA staff to put together a 40-50 man mass, and the stacking nature of the ROW bug meant that you needed a lot of players to get the craziness that we've all seen on youtube. You're all making it sound like anyone going to Corp had back-to-back sigil drops, or even any teams, but the explanation we've been given is that the effect was quite small for small teams of players, and thus not highly noticeable.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

You're giving Jagex way too much credit. They simply neglected to test the ROW on the monsters it'd be used on most. Pure stupidity.

Or the least, RoW doesn't work if you use ls/cs, and there aren't many people that do solo/ffa at lets say Corporeal beast, where the impact was greatest.

The people who adamantly defend All Jmods are the ones with the Gold Stars in the clanchats and their noses up Jagex's asses. They give them far too much credit.

So you're saying that just because I'm ranked in a Jmod CC i'm instantly a suck-up? Because that's not how I recall being asked if I wanted to be added...but hey, whatever you want to believe.

As for this latest bug, I doubt it was intentional. Since the ROW wasn't intended to work with LS/CS, with their limited testing time, I'm sure they just overlooked it. It's not acceptable at all, and someone should be held to pay for it, but I do understand. When upper management demands a high quantity of results, quality suffers *stares at BP*...

So you're saying that just because I'm ranked in a Jmod CC i'm instantly a suck-up? Because that's not how I recall being asked if I wanted to be added...but hey, whatever you want to believe.

As for this latest bug, I doubt it was intentional. Since the ROW wasn't intended to work with LS/CS, with their limited testing time, I'm sure they just overlooked it. It's not acceptable at all, and someone should be held to pay for it, but I do understand. When upper management demands a high quantity of results, quality suffers *stares at BP*...

i think u took it a little too personally.

Naaxi.png

What a ridiculous conspiracy theory, more holes than a slice of leerdammer. There isn't any point in going to the effort to write a long counter argument to such a fascicle idea.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

A german community JMod said the bug could happen because the testing environment has a slightly different setup than the servers we were playing on shortly after the update. Also note there were several different changes with this update which might were tested in different testing environments. I don't see any good argument why this should be an inside job. It looks more like a bug with a very complex background.

[404] Signature not found.

A conspiracy theory is a theory for a reason, there is no proof of it being true or not. Everyone at Jagex is not a saint that abide by the laws and the rules of Jagex and real life. I thought Wikileaks already proved that everybody has dark secrets...

I believe an inside job for this glitch would be perfectly likely. It has been said that it is fairly easy to avoid something like that to happen and yet a big company such as Jagex manage to fail to fill all the holes before releasing it to the public. I don't know anything about the Climbing boots thing but if it has happened before it sure will happen again.

Could be, of course. Probably not.

I'd do such a thing, personally - nature of the job, but can't say there's reason for others to go nuts over it (cancel membership, cut veins, etc.).

zj7y4z.gif

DeeKay.png

I think in this case your giving them too much credit.

This is jagex.

They probably just a bit dum.. you know? Their track record proves it.

Goverments on the otherhand.. they aint dum. Jagex..? Pretty much dum tbh.

No offence to jagex because they have a great game. Just a bit thick sometimes.

Its part of their charm.. However annoying it can sometimes get.

Without the *face palms* It wouldnt feel like the same game that it is.

Without any evidence, these are only unsubstantiated claims; nothing more than conspiracy theories.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Why would the word spread so fast if they knew about it before?

If you know about it, you have time to prepare, you can get a trust team and you wont tell it to other people.

Lost of people going to corp were so amazed that they started spreading word without thinking about what that will cause.

What im saying is, you wont hear a thing from the organized group that benefits from these things, that is if its real.

I think its legit, so many changes so many things to test, QA was prob busy testing dungeons hahahah

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

You are aware that Jagex have these updates completed months before their public release right? They check them for weeks and weeks before they're "live".

You are aware that Jagex have these updates completed months before their public release right? They check them for weeks and weeks before they're "live".

Which is another hole in the conspiracy theory. How did the "insiders" know exactly when the update would be released?...

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I would laugh if you really think that.

Maybe a quote from the QA devblg:

Unfortunately, given the strict schedule for release the game has, priority has to be put in place for what can be done in the time allocated. Being given two weeks to fully QA a quest, for example, means that the QA team working on it have to determine where to allocate time, as in those two weeks, the quest has to be tested twice - once in the work in progress (WIP) test environment and once in the release candidate (RC) test environment.

(Link: http://services.runescape.com/m=devblog/view_post.ws?post_id=25&page=6 )

[404] Signature not found.

So dumb...why would they rollback the entire game (a 2 hour process) to reverse something that only affected "a handful" of players?

What could they possibly have to gain, knowing their entire community is a bunch of whiny 14 year olds, that would be worth the inevitable shitstorm that would ensue? More spirit shields in the economy? give me one decent reason why they wouldn't just increase the drop rate slightly. And can you really not think of a reason why a bunch of noobs would go mass the corporeal beast immediately after an update that would supposedly improve its drops?

A better question is why did they not have anyone test the summoning changes with a steel titan, which is pretty broken right now.

satan_panda.png