03-May-2011 � Capes of Distinction

Can we just drop 2 really stupid subjects about every single [bleep]ing update?

a) I'm f2p and i want this, that and those.

b) Whining about/discussing botting.

Really, these two should just be added to the GD rules as they never produce any worthwhile discussion.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we just drop 2 really stupid subjects about every single [bleep]ing update?

a) I'm f2p and i want this, that and those.

b) Whining about/discussing botting.

Really, these two should just be added to the GD rules as they never produce any worthwhile discussion.

The only time F2Pers around here complain is when they're promised something and they do not get it. Case in point, the veteran capes. Rest of the time you'll find them in the rants or suggestions thread.

As for whining about bots, you won't see this die down until they're eradicated through another measure like the limit era, or the problem - since botting is a symptom - is addressed and dealt with.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Veterans Cape was never promised to f2pers.

Nowhere is there a single line of texts thats says f2persa will get it.

Sure in dev blog they used "all players" it could be argued; but I'd say its just poor wording and would assume they mean all members given prior traditions of specifically flagging up when something IS going to be f2p.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The only time F2Pers around here complain is when they're promised something and they do not get it. Case in point, the veteran capes. Rest of the time you'll find them in the rants or suggestions thread.

As for whining about bots, you won't see this die down until they're eradicated through another measure like the limit era, or the problem - since botting is a symptom - is addressed and dealt with.

I don't really see this as jagex lieing to free players but just a simple miscommunication. Jagex never said it would be available to free players, they just said it would be available to everyone, and that is true under the assumption that everyone is able to buy membership. And really, if it were just about situations like this it would be fine, but i've seen free players complain about numerous subjects of what they are not getting but somehow deserve.

As for botting, discussing it as a community really should be looked down upon, not publicly discussed- we ourselves can't do anything but look down upon it, anyway, and discussing leads to more people being interested in it.

Never expected them to be f2p anyway, so I don't know what the fuss is about - you pay to get benefits, if you don't, expect no updates pretty much. Sad but true. Max cape has nice stats, can't wait to get that.

2vuhgcn.png

Well you didn't lose anything due to Jagex's alleged "promise" since you did not rely on the promise to your detriment. No harm, no foul. You'll get the cape when you become a paying customer. Now if you pay in order to get the cape and don't receive it, THEN you'll have something to cry about.

No, I didn't lose anything at all. Jagex lost a loyal customer and a lot of credit with me. They misled tens of thousands of players into believing they'd deliver something.

This would be the last time I say this.

I have been a paying member since 2004. I let my membership lapse in March. I have paid Jagex for their services in the past. Jagex's wording led me to believe that ALL players would be entitled to this cape.

That is the last time I say it. Get it straight.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

If people want to quit over not getting a cape, then let them. It's only a a bunch of pixels in a game. If this is the most major concern about RuneScape and Jagex that people can pick up on, then I think Jagex have done a rather good job.

Seriously, people should stop moaning and play the game.

I'm not saying that the miscommunication is right, but if you're going to complain over content that you weren't specifically promised in the first place, then just stop playing the game.

If people want to quit over not getting a cape, then let them. It's only a a bunch of pixels in a game. If this is the most major concern about RuneScape and Jagex that people can pick up on, then I think Jagex have done a rather good job.

I'm not saying that the miscommunication is right, but if you're going to complain over content that you weren't specifically promised in the first place, then just stop playing the game.

Cool, thanks for sweeping the whole matter about ethics and miscommunication right under the rug. In my mind, it shows that you're okay with deceptive wording from the company and are willing to let one group of players be shunned.

I'm done with this. You want to keep going about it, feel free. I'll just walk away now.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Cool, thanks for sweeping the whole matter about ethics and miscommunication right under the rug. In my mind, it shows that you're okay with deceptive wording from the company and are willing to let one group of players be shunned.

I'm done with this. You want to keep going about it, feel free. I'll just walk away now.

You mean the issue of where jagex said all players and anyone with half a brain can judge by history and how jagex words things that all probably meant members only; but a few drama queens got their panties in a tiwst cause they decided to ignore all past precedent and assume it was 100% definitely gonna be f2p.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I never said it was a good thing that Jagex miscommunicated. The way you're wording it is trying to make me sound like a villain. However, I'm simply being realistic.

They have apologised, and have said they aren't going to make it F2P. Therefore, they aren't going to make it F2P.

[hide=Off Topic]Also, you said that in the post before mine, yet you returned.[/hide]

ATLEAST give veteran cape equal stats to obby cape so it is worth wearing.

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

Then that would make Obby cape worthless and the price would plummet.

I think however that the 10 level capes should have some stats

You could start it with pretty bad stats and have it gain stats every for every 20 or so levels (10,30,50,70,90)

capt%20kevin.png

When i think about it F2Pers who have played for 5 years deserv a Veteran cape. It's ridicolous how unthoughtful Jagex is.

Everyone who has been playing for atleast 5 years has the opportunity to get the cape, so they haven't really taken anything away from anyone. The fact that the capes require membership is nothing unusual, and there is no logical explanation behind them being free to play(jagex makes updates for paying members, so this is nothing new). If anything, this just gives free players more reason to finally enjoy the full version of the game, which is a good thing(and yeah, nor i or jagex think free players deserve anything more than to be able to play a large part of the game for free, not a big ask, really, i actually have to pay for these updates).

There is absolutely no reason vets cape/classic capes should have been p2p only.

Business, that's 1 reason.

thats probably the only reason to. In my personal opinion its sad that they gloat that they are the number 1 free game but refuse to give f2p players cosmetic items with no stats.

how silly for a business to take actions according to business, lol

You could start it with pretty bad stats and have it gain stats every for every 20 or so levels (10,30,50,70,90)

Worthless to everyone who has played longer than 5 years*

And the cape costs 36k atm who is going to care if it drops down to maybe 30k.

I'll agree with you on the 10s capes though. 133m xp for all 90s cape and it has no stats.

obby cape is 36k, it alchs for 36k, and vet cape is 50k. I fail to see your point

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

Obsidian cape is already worthless. The only reason it is 36k is because that is its alch price.

I was thinking +1 in all attack/defence bonuses for every 10 levels. Firecape still beats it for strength bonus, god cape for mage attack/defence, soulwars for prayer, ardougne 3/4 still good for most things requiring stab as you usually need to use prayer too. Nobody gets shafted, but it still has a use.

Shame they're all so god damn ugly.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

I was thinking +1 in all attack/defence bonuses for every 10 levels. Firecape still beats it for strength bonus, god cape for mage attack/defence, soulwars for prayer, ardougne 3/4 still good for most things requiring stab as you usually need to use prayer too. Nobody gets shafted, but it still has a use.

Shame they're all so god damn ugly.

Even the 90s one? It's at least blue, but I haven't seen it in game yet...

Unfortunately the maxed/completionist capes I've seen so far are just-as.

I'd like to see the interface for customization for those.

2dgucz6.png

When i think about it F2Pers who have played for 5 years deserv a Veteran cape. It's ridicolous how unthoughtful Jagex is.

Everyone who has been playing for atleast 5 years has the opportunity to get the cape, so they haven't really taken anything away from anyone. The fact that the capes require membership is nothing unusual, and there is no logical explanation behind them being free to play(jagex makes updates for paying members, so this is nothing new). If anything, this just gives free players more reason to finally enjoy the full version of the game, which is a good thing(and yeah, nor i or jagex think free players deserve anything more than to be able to play a large part of the game for free, not a big ask, really, i actually have to pay for these updates).

I think I'm sort of in an odd position here - I've played RS for at least 5 years, but my 5 year accounts are f2p, and my current main is not near 5 years yet. I would have liked to at least try the cape and emote on my f2p accounts (lets face it, the only real values of the cape are cosmetic and showing you've played a while). Like hell am I going to get members on an account I don't play on just to try the cape myself, but I do certainly have an active p2p main. I don't know if I'll even be playing anymore by the time my current main hits 5 years, so it would have still been nice to be able to say that I own a veteran's cape.

skillgoal99fakingunderb.png

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

(The large number is the amount of awards I have gotten; only 8 are shown above. Click to see all of them.)

It was kind of low of jagex with the vetrans cape. If they intended right from the start that the vet cape be only p2p why did they make the guarenteed content poll open to both p2p and f2p.

Any word yet about what the deal with the vetrans cape is yet? I know my account is older then 5 years but i still can't get it :evil: Or at the very least any word if jagex will change their rule about not releasing account creation dates? Just in case I got droped once too often as a baby and just immagined going for vacation on easter for a month and because of that missed out on a easter event.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Hm, I don't understand the logic behind making it members-only when the poll was clearly enabled for everyone and the appreciation is for long-standing members who more than likely have purchased membership before. It really beggars the idea of "veteran" and "classic".

I mean, you don't buy trophies, you earn them, buying them would defeat the whole purpose. Isn't this irony?

Anyways, I've read the majority of the posts and I haven't found the answer, but are the milestone capes members as well?

Any opinions on whether Jagex might actually change the capes to be available for non-members? I really don't feel like paying 5 dollas to show off, lol, it kind of defeats the purpose for me. :(

Hm, I don't understand the logic behind making it members-only when the poll was clearly enabled for everyone and the appreciation is for long-standing members who more than likely have purchased membership before. It really beggars the idea of "veteran" and "classic".

A little nitpicky, but the last 4 or 5 polls have been about quest bosses and most of the choices were members-only while the polls were open to both f2p and p2p.

I totally agree though - f2p shouldn't have a voice when a poll is about members-only content. Hell, no one other than holders of accounts of 5-year-old accounts (MAYBE f2p 5YO accounts with members stats) should have been allowed to vote in this particular poll. If that were the case, maybe some of the people who were glitched on day one (5 years, members, but unable to buy cape) would have been sorted out when they tried to vote and were rejected.

2dgucz6.png

A little nitpicky, but the last 4 or 5 polls have been about quest bosses and most of the choices were members-only while the polls were open to both f2p and p2p.

I totally agree though - f2p shouldn't have a voice when a poll is about members-only content. Hell, no one other than holders of accounts of 5-year-old accounts (MAYBE f2p 5YO accounts with members stats) should have been allowed to vote in this particular poll. If that were the case, maybe some of the people who were glitched on day one (5 years, members, but unable to buy cape) would have been sorted out when they tried to vote and were rejected.

If the poll was only limited to people who the change would target - you would almost undeniably get a vote for change/upgrade all the time.

It's not like Jagex ever votes to punish you - all their "changes" are for the better so there's no point in putting a poll out that only targets a specific audience.

capt%20kevin.png