Micro Transactions vs. Bots...

Begbie

i'm against micro transactions but also i hate bots...

anyway i got to thinking, what if Jagex started selling Runescape gp at a competitive price?

would this have an impact on the amount of bots in game if gold farming websites no longer had any customers? after all, who would buy from some shady website when they could buy directly from Jagex?

if as speculated by some people on this forum, 95% of bots are run by gold farming websites, there would obviously be many other consequences if they all disappeared, good and bad. i'm sure everyone has their own opinions of what they would be.

so if you had to choose between the current situation, or Jagex selling rsgp and 95% of bots disappearing, which would you choose?!

the way i see it, i'd rather some kid bought their gp from Jagex than ran 12 bots which competed with me for resources and devalued many of the items i would like to sell.

begbie.png

It is better to remain silent and be thought a noob than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that in order to have 'competitive prices' Jagex would have to price their GP ridiculously low. Even competition among bot sites has taken GP from ~$2.50usd per mill at the start of free trade to $0.70. There's simply no way that Jagex can undercut the prices that these RWT sites can offer because they use so many bots.

Not to mention the massive inflation that would happen.

The problem is that in order to have 'competitive prices' Jagex would have to price their GP ridiculously low. Even competition among bot sites has taken GP from ~$2.50usd per mill at the start of free trade to $0.70. There's simply no way that Jagex can undercut the prices that these RWT sites can offer because they use so many bots.

Not to mention the massive inflation that would happen.

Jagex could undercut anyone, it's their gold!

i could see inflation maybe being a proplem but not if everything was effected. when i got 99 fishing last year i was selling raw sharks for 1200-1400 each. with the money i bought a SGS for 70m. raw shark are now around 400 and an SGS is 30m, so for me it was better when things were inflated.

but i'm no economic expert!

begbie.png

It is better to remain silent and be thought a noob than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

I honestly wouldn't care either way. Bots don't annoy me. RWT or micro-transactions don't annoy me. Jagex is already moving towards the latter, so I can only assume that eventually we'll have both and be truly [bleep]ed.

If Jagex started selling items and GP for $$$ and it made them enough money to improve their game, cool, but I think that's an extremely optimistic outlook that is fundamentally delusional if you consider how bad most Jagex developers are to begin with. I don't know if I want Mod Raven to be paid more money to make content that's just as [developmentally delayed]ed, for example.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

The problem is that the bot sites will undercut Jagex, always. Especially since Jagex selling gold means that GP is being artificially created; when bots sites sell GP it already has to be there. Expect massive inflation when GP is artificially created - just like PVP statuettes.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Jagex could undercut anyone, it's their gold!

While that is true, these RWT sites have shown a lot of resiliance to 'natual' decreases in the price of gold. The $2.50 to $0.70 example was just to show that RWT sites are not shy about lowering prices to get an edge on the competition. Jagex sells gold for $0.50, RWT sites sell it for $0.45. Eventually this undercutting would only lead to the price of gold being incredibly low and that would only lead to massive inflation that would make the PVP statuettes look like a minor bump in prices.

The fact that it would be a legal way of obtaining easy cash, as well as being incredibly cheap. I think it would get to the point where gp would become useless. (Like what happened with the trade limit and high-end rare items.)

Bad idea. GP will have no value and we will start using an item system, almost like mint cakes only far worse. Also, even if Jagex sells gold for .25, botters can sell for .20. The price will always go down, since they are bots. You aren't paying for manual labor, you set the bot and let it rip. Any amount of money is good when you do barely anything to make it.

As long as there's a symbol by the display name denoting them as gold buyers I'd go with microtransactions and 95% of bots disapearing.

Brilliant

As long as there's a symbol by the display name denoting them as gold buyers I'd go with microtransactions and 95% of bots disapearing.

That would be awesome. Probably the best solution I've read, although sure it would probably foster inflation, but the people who buy gold, are those who care about their image in the game, if buying gold means they have to permanently sacrifice their image through a "brand" if you will identifying them as a gold buyer, fewer people will be inclined to buy gp. It could work I think.

Honestly, the bots probably make about the same amount of money for Jagex as selling gold would...$5 a month per bot is nothing to laugh at. Also, the lower gold is priced in relation to membership, the more gold sellers would have to sell to break even or make a profit.

wotmania505.png

That would be awesome. Probably the best solution I've read, although sure it would probably foster inflation, but the people who buy gold, are those who care about their image in the game, if buying gold means they have to permanently sacrifice their image through a "brand" if you will identifying them as a gold buyer, fewer people will be inclined to buy gp. It could work I think.

Jagex also has the ability to make your stats not appear in the hiscores anymore. That coupled with the symbol would I think highly reduce the amount of people who wish to buy gold. Could also be a good punishment for bots if jagex is intent on not banning them. It would be a good deterrent for players thinking about botting.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

If the money wasn't created out of thin air or was sold in unalchable items, i'd prefer jagex selling gp. otherwise, bots have a less negative impact.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I'll take the bots because at least I can force log/kill those in my spare time.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I think they should try to make the grinding interesting. In a lot of games you need to rely on teamwork and strategy to lvl up and that's a lot more interesting than the "click and wait" system where everybody does boring tasks individually.

2480+ total

Jagex could selll RSGP at 1cent/m...

raises the interesting question of at what point you would put your morals/beliefs aside and buy some gold! even at 10 cents per million it would be very tempting if buying from Jagex directly! just enough for that red h'ween though, honest...!

begbie.png