Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Micro Transactions vs. Bots...

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Begbie
[ Display Name History ]

Begbie

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Begbie
i'm against micro transactions but also i hate bots...

anyway i got to thinking, what if Jagex started selling Runescape gp at a competitive price?

would this have an impact on the amount of bots in game if gold farming websites no longer had any customers? after all, who would buy from some shady website when they could buy directly from Jagex?

if as speculated by some people on this forum, 95% of bots are run by gold farming websites, there would obviously be many other consequences if they all disappeared, good and bad. i'm sure everyone has their own opinions of what they would be.

so if you had to choose between the current situation, or Jagex selling rsgp and 95% of bots disappearing, which would you choose?!

the way i see it, i'd rather some kid bought their gp from Jagex than ran 12 bots which competed with me for resources and devalued many of the items i would like to sell.

begbie.png

It is better to remain silent and be thought a noob than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

ilovecuttingyews
[ Display Name History ]

ilovecuttingyews

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,008 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
The problem is that in order to have 'competitive prices' Jagex would have to price their GP ridiculously low. Even competition among bot sites has taken GP from ~$2.50usd per mill at the start of free trade to $0.70. There's simply no way that Jagex can undercut the prices that these RWT sites can offer because they use so many bots.

Not to mention the massive inflation that would happen.

Frede173
[ Display Name History ]

Frede173

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 862 posts
  • RSN:Frede173
Definitely Jagex selling RSGP.
If they got more money, us players would (hopefull)y get more/improved content.
Owner of a comp cape since February 11th 2012.

Begbie
[ Display Name History ]

Begbie

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • RSN:Begbie

The problem is that in order to have 'competitive prices' Jagex would have to price their GP ridiculously low. Even competition among bot sites has taken GP from ~$2.50usd per mill at the start of free trade to $0.70. There's simply no way that Jagex can undercut the prices that these RWT sites can offer because they use so many bots.

Not to mention the massive inflation that would happen.

Jagex could undercut anyone, it's their gold!

i could see inflation maybe being a proplem but not if everything was effected. when i got 99 fishing last year i was selling raw sharks for 1200-1400 each. with the money i bought a SGS for 70m. raw shark are now around 400 and an SGS is 30m, so for me it was better when things were inflated.

but i'm no economic expert!

begbie.png

It is better to remain silent and be thought a noob than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Obtaurian
[ Display Name History ]

Obtaurian

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,853 posts
  • RSN:Obtaurian
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers (DGS)
I honestly wouldn't care either way. Bots don't annoy me. RWT or micro-transactions don't annoy me. Jagex is already moving towards the latter, so I can only assume that eventually we'll have both and be truly [bleep]ed.

If Jagex started selling items and GP for $$$ and it made them enough money to improve their game, cool, but I think that's an extremely optimistic outlook that is fundamentally delusional if you consider how bad most Jagex developers are to begin with. I don't know if I want Mod Raven to be paid more money to make content that's just as [developmentally delayed]ed, for example.

Posted Image

To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Michael
[ Display Name History ]

Michael

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Trollgazer
$.70 seems steep, I get bots pm'ing me selling gold for $.59.

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
The problem is that the bot sites will undercut Jagex, always. Especially since Jagex selling gold means that GP is being artificially created; when bots sites sell GP it already has to be there. Expect massive inflation when GP is artificially created - just like PVP statuettes.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

ilovecuttingyews
[ Display Name History ]

ilovecuttingyews

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,008 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

Jagex could undercut anyone, it's their gold!

While that is true, these RWT sites have shown a lot of resiliance to 'natual' decreases in the price of gold. The $2.50 to $0.70 example was just to show that RWT sites are not shy about lowering prices to get an edge on the competition. Jagex sells gold for $0.50, RWT sites sell it for $0.45. Eventually this undercutting would only lead to the price of gold being incredibly low and that would only lead to massive inflation that would make the PVP statuettes look like a minor bump in prices.

Krampell
[ Display Name History ]

Krampell

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,306 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Krampell
  • RSN2:Echo Toast
The bad thing about Jagex selling their old gold is that the lower they sell it for the less will gold in rs be worth.
It hasn't happened quite yet but soon you won't be able to buy any rares with gold anymore.

Proud owner of the following skillcapes: Defence, Hitpoints, Strength, Attack, Magic, Summoning, Ranged, Slayer, Prayer and Herblore.
I drift in and out, trying some update that interests me.

BBK
[ Display Name History ]

BBK

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • RSN:BBK
Jagex selling gold wouldn't stop bots, gold farmers would just undercut jagexs price. No thanks
Posted Image

Range_This11
[ Display Name History ]

Range_This11

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
I would quit if Jagex ever sold gold.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I_am_Geed
[ Display Name History ]

I_am_Geed

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,497 posts
  • RSN:Feel
  • RSN2:Doc Roe3
The day Jagex sells rsgp is the day I leave
Posted Image

Den
[ Display Name History ]

Den

Movie Director

• Members
  • 8,257 posts
  • RSN:Rainy
The fact that it would be a legal way of obtaining easy cash, as well as being incredibly cheap. I think it would get to the point where gp would become useless. (Like what happened with the trade limit and high-end rare items.)

Zerker_Jane
[ Display Name History ]

Zerker_Jane

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • RSN:Zerker Jane
As long as there's a symbol by the display name denoting them as gold buyers I'd go with microtransactions and 95% of bots disapearing.
Posted Image
99 farm easy

Boris5000
[ Display Name History ]

Boris5000

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,951 posts
  • RSN:Volothamp
  • RSN2:Boris I
Or they could remove free-trade, wildy and such... :rolleyes:
A double-edged sword. (They should release that into the game.)
Luck be a Lady

Thus
[ Display Name History ]

Thus

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,209 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
Bad idea. GP will have no value and we will start using an item system, almost like mint cakes only far worse. Also, even if Jagex sells gold for .25, botters can sell for .20. The price will always go down, since they are bots. You aren't paying for manual labor, you set the bot and let it rip. Any amount of money is good when you do barely anything to make it.

As long as there's a symbol by the display name denoting them as gold buyers I'd go with microtransactions and 95% of bots disapearing.

Brilliant

reddawn509
[ Display Name History ]

reddawn509

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,919 posts
  • RSN:Yews Me
  • RSN2:Skeksis

That would be awesome. Probably the best solution I've read, although sure it would probably foster inflation, but the people who buy gold, are those who care about their image in the game, if buying gold means they have to permanently sacrifice their image through a "brand" if you will identifying them as a gold buyer, fewer people will be inclined to buy gp. It could work I think.

Screamra
[ Display Name History ]

Screamra

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • RSN:Hahascream
  • RSN2:Screamra
Jagex could selll RSGP at 1cent/m (obv. a disgusting overexaguration and still profit because they can just spawn the gold, so I don't know what you mean by not being able to compete with goldseller prices.

Sly_Wizard
[ Display Name History ]

Sly_Wizard

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
Yes, Jagex can price goldsellers out of the market. I don't know why anyone thinks they can't. Theoretically, if Jagex were to simply give people money, all goldselling sites would shut down.

wotmania505
[ Display Name History ]

wotmania505

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • RSN:wotmania505
Honestly, the bots probably make about the same amount of money for Jagex as selling gold would...$5 a month per bot is nothing to laugh at. Also, the lower gold is priced in relation to membership, the more gold sellers would have to sell to break even or make a profit.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users